Menu

What's the funniest thing your children thought you (or your spouse) did?

J-rap

(This is a spin-off from a Tonight Show interview going around on Facebook I guess...)

I'll start.

So, for awhile my husband worked at a financial company where they put together bonds (and other things :)) for companies.  It turns out that through the grapevine (my dd telling a friend who told a friend, etc.) it became "bombs," not "bonds."  Yes, my husband was the town bomb-maker, according to gossip among the young middle-schoolers.

• Like 11

One of our children thought Dad went to work to make money. As in physically drawing on paper and making the money.

When DS2 was three or four, we read a picture book that mentioned the U.S. Mint, and we talked about how they make money there. DS2 piped up, "Daddy makes money! Just like the Mint!" After I stopped laughing, I explained that he probably ought not go around saying it that way!

I'm pretty sure my 20mo thinks that Daddy just drives around in the little black car all day.

They also think Daddy actually built the bridge at a local college, as in, put the pieces together. He didn't; his company did, and he managed the project. But they still call it Daddy's bridge every time we go by it. (There ARE, in all fairness, a good number of historic structures that he actually DID puts pieces on, because he used to work in the field more, so it's a pretty good guess, but their pride in him is adorable.)

• Like 2

Me, 5: We have to tell our teacher what work our Daddy does. 

My mom: He's an auditor. 

Me: Auctioner

Mom: NO, AUD-ih-TER. That means he checks the math people do for their money. But DON'T say he's an accountant. He's NOT an accountant. 

Teacher: Honey, it's okay if you don't know what your dad does. 

Me: I DO know what he does.

*several more minutes go by*

Teacher: What does he work with? Is he a truck driver? 

Me: NO. And he's not an accountant. But he works with money. And it starts with A. Add-er?

Teacher: Are you sure he's not an accountant?

Me: HE'S NOT AN ACCOUNTANT! 

I'm not sure what the big deal was with the accountant thing. I'm pretty sure they wrote BOOKKEEPER on the poster so drilling a 5 year old to say Auditor was kind of pointless. I wanted them to write A Money Guy but they wouldn't listen to me. It was all I could do to keep them from writing ACCOUNTANT, whatever that was. Something about counting, probably. If he liked adding, I don't know what his problem with counting was. 

• Like 7

I've had a few jobs in my life and I've told my kid about some of them or they've been part of conversation we've had.  When I was working my way around theatres I did a lot of sound rigging and I had a brief stint where a band had come through the venue where I worked and I ended up going on the road with them for a few more stops on their tour.  So, I was briefly a roadie, and it is one of those events in my life that was kind of important, so it comes up every now and then.  It wasn't until I overheard my son tell a friend, "My mom used to be a groupie for [that band]" that I realised I needed to be a lot more clear about occupational definitions and terminology.

• Like 5

I was a mailman for a summer. When I mentioned this to dd a couple years back, she was completely flabbergasted and said she was disillusioned and just didn't know who I was anymore. It still freaks her out a bit whenever it comes up.

That is so funny!

Several years ago, we were looking through old scrapbooks and I casually mentioned to my oldest son that I once worked for a few months at Steak n Shake in between college and grad school (there was a picture of me in my uniform). He looked at me incredulously and said in a very accusing tone, "You waited til I was seven to tell me this?!?" :lol:

• Like 4

I remember that in the fall we had to tell the teacher ( therefore the whole class) what our Dad did. Hewas an electrician . One summer my father was approached and accepted a teaching job to start up and teach electrical at the vocational school that was opening that fall. That fall when I very proudly said my father was a teacher, my teacher basically called me a liar in front of the class. She had had my sister the year before so she knew my family. Fifty years later I have not forgotten that moment.

Ouch.