Menu

Ignore this thread!

I think I'm going to have to buy a Kindle so that I can read more books. I do not want to do this. I don't like reading on screen, and I still print out copies when I need to edit and proof work. But it's likely to be the cheapest way to acquire more books without compromising limited storage space.

• Like 2

I think I'm going to have to buy a Kindle so that I can read more books. I do not want to do this. I don't like reading on screen, and I still print out copies when I need to edit and proof work. But it's likely to be the cheapest way to acquire more books without compromising limited storage space.

Kindle Paperwhites are very different from Kindle fires. Go to Best Buy and try one out. Some libraries will let you borrow them. I'm completely pro Kindle but also anti wasting money on a neat gadget you'll use 2 times. You can use the Kindle app on your phone but it's a regular screen and regular screens are butt.

• Like 2

Kindle Paperwhites are very different from Kindle fires. Go to Best Buy and try one out. Some libraries will let you borrow them. I'm completely pro Kindle but also anti wasting money on a neat gadget you'll use 2 times. You can use the Kindle app on your phone but it's a regular screen and regular screens are butt.

Truth! 

• Like 1

And considering that my internet connection is worse than butt, I'm going to have to schedule time to drive to the top of my hill to actually buy books.

I don't think so. If you can hive you can definitely buy books. If you hive on your phone then you can buy books on your phone and send them to your kindle upon purchase. It might take a second or a few minutes, but it's a small thing.

• Like 1

I don't think so. If you can hive you can definitely buy books. If you hive on your phone then you can buy books on your phone and send them to your kindle upon purchase. It might take a second or a few minutes, but it's a small thing.

I can never hive on my phone. I can't even send a text on my phone without walking out to my front porch and waving in the direction I know the nearest tower to be located. Forget pictures. Can't even get them on my laptop. I have to leave the house to shop Amazon. 

• Like 1

Who needs space for other stuff?  Buy more books! 

(Signed a bookaholic who could stop at any time but doesn't want to.) 

I love to library, but they seldom get anything new in the genre I write in. Even the bigger library I can use that is two hours away has slim pickings. And I don't always want to keep everything new that I read, you know? Sometimes I just want to read it and see if it is any good.

• Like 1

Did  you know that there is a Waldorf Astoria in Boca Raton FL?  Neither did we. Until we got the credit card bill for $2000 worth of hotel stay there.  The absolutely stupid thing is that the credit card fraud alert knew that dh wasn't there because they called to check on some small purchases made at a pharmacy there during the same time period and he told them that he hadn't traveled out of state, let alone gone to Florida.  So why didn't they flag and stop the hotel bill?

• Like 1

As I mentioned up thread, the vet wanted to try out a new free (for now)  chat visit with me.  It was extremely frustrating because there was a huge (like ten minutes) delay between when one of us would send a text and when it would finally pop up on the other person's phone or laptop.  So ended up finishing up talking on the telephone.  End result - he wants to see Neko tomorrow morning.  Unless he magically gets better by then.  Libby seems to know that something is wrong.  She is wanting to lick and take care of  scary Neko which Neko doesn't want but is too sick to avoid entirely.  I've separated the two of them for Neko's good. 

• Like 4

As I mentioned up thread, the vet wanted to try out a new free (for now)  chat visit with me.  It was extremely frustrating because there was a huge (like ten minutes) delay between when one of us would send a text and when it would finally pop up on the other person's phone or laptop.  So ended up finishing up talking on the telephone.  End result - he wants to see Neko tomorrow morning.  Unless he magically gets better by then.  Libby seems to know that something is wrong.  She is wanting to lick and take care of  scary Neko which Neko doesn't want but is too sick to avoid entirely.  I've separated the two of them for Neko's good. 

Could they not get him in today? It worries me that he's so sick he's not eating.

• Like 1

Got up an hour earlier than I set my alarm for. And then accomplished nothing for 3 hours (other than coffee and shower). Since then, we've done most(?) things on the schedule... RS, typing, LOF, clean floors (well, sorta), grammar, and Broccoli asked to do Khan, so also that. There's a couple of things on the schedule we can't do yet (have to wait till evening (TKD and experiment to do with shadows)), and some things we could do now but I'm not sure I want to. I probably should take the kids outside (which is also on the schedule). 

• Like 5

Sedpo

I did ten exercises from Henle during our car trip. It's a lot funner when your children are strapped down. ;)

Booya

Booyae

Booyae

Booyam

BooyÄ

Booyae

Booyarum

Booyis

Booyas

Booyis

There's probably some missing macrons. Oh well. We're pretty loose about that here.

Hmm, never realized Booya/h was first declension!! I like that!!
  • Like 8

I have paid medical bills and survived.  I'm a bit miffed that if I had overbilled someone by almost $700 you can be sure that they would be wanting a refund NOW and most likely there would be some kind of a fee but when I notice it and bring it to their attention they say that they have known about it for over a week and will probably get around to a refund in the next couple of weeks. . . .  

• Like 3

I just got off the phone with a billing office asking where my refund is.

How do you store large quantities of soup in the freezer?

I crashed majorly today after this weekend's painting extravaganza. It RAINED (i.e. 5" = flooding) so my deck repairs didn't happen today. I hope I can get rescheduled for sometime this month!

• Like 1

I have paid medical bills and survived. I'm a bit miffed that if I had overbilled someone by almost $700 you can be sure that they would be wanting a refund NOW and most likely there would be some kind of a fee but when I notice it and bring it to their attention they say that they have known about it for over a week and will probably get around to a refund in the next couple of weeks. . . .

😡

• Like 1

Girls are registered for school; I'm going to be a retired homeschooling mom this fall after almost 7 years. :crying: All they have to do now is score well on their math placement. Which is harder than it sounds b/c they have diagnosed anxiety and testing is what brings it out. We are reviewing. Everyone at the school seems to know and love them from their 2 classes last year, but they are still unhappy. They prefer to indulge their social anxiety by never leaving the house. I'd prefer to keep them and do 2 classes again, but DH is against it. He was never a homeschool fan even though DS is now far, far ahead of everyone in his classes. 

Stayed up too late and took a loooong nap after we got back from the school because it was raining and rain makes me sleepy. It was lovely; having big kids is great.

DD's birthday is tomorrow and she's driving us crazy w/ excitement. She's a sanguine extrovert in a family of melancholic or phlegmatic introverts. 

I got a notification from the lab to view my test results from last week. Turns out I failed the 1hr glucose. Sad. The doctor should have known by Weds or Thursday, however: Why haven't they called to schedule a 3 hr test? Do they not care? I failed it wildly; not borderline. I've never had GD before but it would figure b/c this pregnancy seems designed to make me be at peace with never being pregnant again. Baby is measuring small, however, so I think I may pass the 3hr still. 

Edited by Paige
  • Like 3