Menu

I am so mad! (election related)

stephanier.1765

I wonder if the information is accurate or it's just an average of days aimed to intimidate. So, it's not your record, but a made up one designed to look real, kwim? Either way, it's slimy. Like the fake medical bills that are scams....or "car warranty recalls". Slimy.

OTOH, I completely can't understand why anyone wouldn't vote. It's so totally incomprehensible to me.

OTOH, I completely can't understand why anyone wouldn't vote. It's so totally incomprehensible to me.

I am perfectly okay with someone not voting who doesn't feel they understand the issues and/or candidates on the ballots

Even though I vote, in general, there are sometimes particular races I do NOT vote in because I do not know the issues involved and I am not going to choose a name just to say "I voted." I'd rather those who are knowledgeable about a race/candidates/issues vote than having people vote based on whether they like the name "John Smith" or "Trevor McDonald" better.

My guess as to why the husbands are getting them and not every voter in the household is that they are saving money by only sending it to the head of the household. One mailer, shaming for all.

My hubby has voted in every election ever & hasn't received a single one. It was specific about which election I didn't vote in-and it was right. I had a brand new newborn (not that I have to justify it).

If I get another I am calling to complain.

I wonder if the information is accurate or it's just an average of days aimed to intimidate. So, it's not your record, but a made up one designed to look real, kwim? Either way, it's slimy. Like the fake medical bills that are scams....or "car warranty recalls". Slimy.

My brother and SIL are of the opinion it was just made up randomly since they know for a fact they voted in all of the last four elections but it said they only voted in two of them.  They figure all the information on the ad is wrong since theirs is.  He said whether you voted is a matter of public record (so he likes to early vote the first day so the campaign calls immediately stop), but it seems like a lot of trouble to make up these ads to shame people into voting.

I always vote.  It is my right.  However, I don't think anyone should be shamed into voting or feel shame for not voting.  It is their right not to vote if they so choose.  I do wonder what our results would look like if voter turnouts were in the 90s+ percent, but no one should be shamed into voting if they do not want to.

"Car warranty" calls.  Ugh.  We've gotten about 30 of them in the last month and a half and their information is all wrong (usually they know what cars we have, but once they said they were calling about my Lexus... um... I'm a mom of four... I definitely don't have a Lexus).  The last time I flipped out on the guy because it was the 11th call since we started telling them to put us on the do not call list.  He apologized like crazy lol

I'm into equal opportunity shaming. I think women and men alike ought to be properly shamed.

(LOL)

I got a mailer yesterday; dh didn't. But then he early early voted and I only regular early voted. Here, with regular early voting you can vote at 4 or 5 locations around the county. With early early voting you have to go to the county courthouse. So dh votes early early because of his work schedule, while I wait for regular early voting because it's closer to home. The mailer I got stated that as of 23 Oct I hadn't voted. The regular early voting started 27 Oct. Grrr! :cursing:   

DH got one this week. Ours were rated with gold stars. (We really are talking middle school here.) He has 5 gold stars and our neighborhood at 1 good star for past voting history. I thought it was ridiculous. I'm glad ours didn't have specific names of our neighbors. 

We lived in an apartment in NC during the Obama/McCain election. I voted that morning because it was best for my schedule. We were out most of the day and came home around 5:00. There were notes on the doors of many of our neighbors indicating that they hadn't voted yet and could do so at ___ location. No note on our door. I couldn't figure out how they knew. I thought it was a bit intrusive. 

My guess as to why the husbands are getting them and not every voter in the household is that they are saving money by only sending it to the head of the household. One mailer, shaming for all.

My guess is that the people mailing it are not really concerned about increasing voter turnout---they are interested in increasing voter turnout in particular demographic groups that are likely to vote the way they would like the election to go.

This would really make me mad! Everyone knows not to talk religion, money, or politics with others and now you're going to advertise my voting record to my neighbors? No! 

The country is so politically divisive right now that I just see this as a way to separate us further. My mom actually told me the other day that she wishes I would not vote because I usually vote on conservative issues. I told her I would just cancel her out so she could stay home, too. :p

I haven't read all the replies, so I'm sure somebody already said this, but yes, that's totally creepy and obnoxious, and besides, I don't WANT my neighbors to vote if they don't care enough to research the issues! In fact, I'd rather they didn't! Or maybe they were undergoing chemo that year, etc. Sheesh!

Do these mailers consider primary elections as well as general elections? I know a heckuva lot of people skip primaries and just vote general, but that would show as "missing two of the last four elections", kwim?

Incidentally, I'm going to do early voting today. :D

Nope.  They vote in all the primaries, too, but the dates of the elections are all Novembers, every two years, so it's just general elections, not primaries.

Yes it is happening here too. I haven't gotten one but I know people who have. It is a really icky and invading.

This year I have been getting more political ads in the mail, phone calls to volunteer, survey calls and door knocks then any other year. It is kind of annoying but the above tactic takes it too far.

This was on the local news. 

http://www.mynews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2014/10/30/should_others_be_abl.html

The group has given some support to Gov.Rick Scott. Based on the OP's link, they seem to back mostly incumbents regardless of party. 

I don't know if we got one. We voted early, so I've just been tossing all political flyers straight to the recycle bin without even looking at them. We did get something from a Republican group a while back telling us we should have received our Vote By Mail ballots. However, when I checked our Supervisor of Elections website they had a notice saying those were bogus and they gave a date when we should actually expect our ballots to arrive.

Dh is registered Republican and I'm registered Democrat, so we usually get the worst of everything from both sides!

Now I get called several times a day and asked for by name.  All about the election stuff.  I just hang up.

I do the same thing if I get called. 

I have never heard of this flyer thing in my state. We do vote by mail, so ballots go out to all the registered voters. I turned mine in and now I'm done. No fuss. 

Both conservative and liberal PACs are using this tactic: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2012/11/02/peer-pressure-and-voting/1675019/

In our state, one of the two major parties is sending one out. (To follow board rules and not get political, I'm leaving out which one.) It's only slightly modified in that it doesn't threaten to tell your neighbors after the election whether or not you voted. More like "We know who voted and we're darn disappointed in the voting record of your neighborhood. We're watching you and will be in contact to find out why you didn't vote if you don't." )

Since it's so widespread, I'm thinking someone has decided it's actually effective. If it is effective, that's counter-intuitive to me.

I am just thinking that the backlash would be worse than any "positives" that result from shaming people to the polls. For instance, I am registered as an independent. I was already planning on voting.  With regard to our Senate race, my personal score card is a "tie" between the two candidates with respect to them representing my view on various issues that are important to me. I am really aggravated with the party sending these out (they are on that party's letterhead, signed by an official, and the local news has confirmed) and am less inclined to vote for their candidate as a result. It may be the tie-breaker in my case as it adds a new issue: Do you support vote-shaming?

I want to figure out how to shame vote-shamers. :glare: