Menu

What did you do when your child turned 13?

plain jane

My original plan was to take mine on a plane ride somewhere cool like NYC for the weekend or to a fancy museum but due to circumstances beyond my control that's not going to happen any more. :(

I'm looking for something extra special and cool but I'm not coming up with much.

Would love to hear what others have done. TIA

We have 3 daughters.

For their 13th birthday DH takes them out on a special date (nice dinner).  After dinner he presents them with a special ring (their choice of style).  My grandfather gave my mother an amethyst ring on her 13th birthday-- so we are making this a 'tradition' (my parents gave me a special ring the Christmas I was 13).  Youngest dd turns 13 this coming January-- she is already looking at rings!

For their 18th birthdays DH takes them and a friend on a trip anywhere in the continental US.  Oldest dd chose to go fishing in the mountains of Colorado.  Middle dd chose to go to Vegas and Holywood (thrill ride seekers)... both have fond memories.  Youngest dd is already planning her adventure!

Mine got their ears pierced when they were 13.

Other than that, nothing different from most birthdays - a special family dinner, menu chosen by the birthday girl.

Usually, some kind of party planned and executed by the birthday girl with help from me.

Anne

For the 13th birthday we let them chose a place (within a few hours of home) to go for an overnight and do a few activities there.  One dd chose a parent/child weekend at a local Christian camp with horseback riding.  The other one chose an Amish town to visit and a buggy ride and shopping.

We do a semi repeat for their 18th birthdays as well.  Dh took ds to Colorado but the budget has changed a lot in 8 years so the girls each got an overnight and some activities not too far from home.  Still something special they looked forward to.

I like the idea of a nice ring for 13.  I would have done that but at 13 they weren't responsible enough for real jewelry and one still isn't.

I took oldest for a makeover and let her purchase a bit of makeup. She liked it but ultimately decided she doesn't want to wear makeup (she does for special occasions). She said it was worth it, though, because we found an awesome face lotion and that's the only thing we keep purchasing. I also offered to let her get her ears pierced but she's not interested. I plan on doing the same with youngest.

Not much. We'd quit parties by the time they were 10. We gave presents, had favorite dessert and got favorite take out or went to a (burger,pizza, Mexican, Indian, or Vietnamese place that accommodates gf) restaurant.

When ds was 14 dh took him to see The Who. Ds really wanted to do that. It was expensive for us. The concert was on his birthday. We found out after getting tickets my brother was taking a client to the same show. My brother treated ds to a steak dinner beforehand. Ds got the required outrageously priced concert t-shirt.

My older one (male) just wanted the usual friends over and pizza.

My younger one wanted to do something special, so I gave her an amount and had her figure it out.  She decided to go to Sunday brunch with three friends and then to the local paint-your-own-pottery place to make a tile.

They had a blast, and I went along in the background to take pictures but didn't sit with them.