Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW38

Robin M

I did finish one of the "beach reads" from a long ago published list, The Third Wife by Lisa Jewell. Not going to bother to link because it was so so with an interesting start that ended as a family drama. It starts with a nice highly intoxicated woman being hit by a bus rather oddly. Suicide? Not the type.....husband discovers bullying emails.....thinks he and his multiple families are being stalked. Sounds intriguing then turns very chic litish with lots of relationship drama. Wasn't bad but definately one where I kept reading to find out why the poor woman died. Message of the book was serial marriages are hard on everyone involved which I kind of already knew.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amy,  :grouphug: , hope the crazy settles soon.  Moving is the worst.

I often wonder how books I first encountered as a child would read if I were meeting them for the first time now? 

...but then I get a headache trying to subtract the layers of influence - how would I think about Ivanhoe now if I hadn't read Eager's Knight's Castle so many years ago, frex?

I wonder if it is the non-life changing books that might actually, in tiny, individual increments, have a stronger impact than we realize (just when we are young and impressionable, perhaps? )

There is much to this... and sometimes the bitty increments peek through when I reread certain books with my kids, even as the kids process them differently or seemingly not at all.

A couple of interesting articles about nuclear tourists...
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/09/140917-nuclear-tourism-chernobyl-stalker/
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2014/10/nuclear-tourism/ludwig-photography
remind me of a non-fiction travel book I read a few years ago, "Visit Sunny Chernobyl: And Other Adventures in the World's Most Polluted Places" by Andrew Blackwell. I recommend the book, especially if you find the articles intriguing or you are in the mood for a travel book.

http://www.amazon.com/Visit-Sunny-Chernobyl-Adventures-Polluted/dp/1623360269/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1411005865&sr=1-1

"For most of us, traveling means visiting the most beautiful places on Earth—Paris, the Taj Mahal, the Grand Canyon. It’s rare to book a plane ticket to visit the lifeless moonscape of Canada’s oil sand strip mines, or to set sail for the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. But in Visit Sunny Chernobyl, Andrew Blackwell embraces a different kind of travel, taking a jaunt through the most gruesomely polluted places on Earth.

Visit Sunny Chernobyl fuses immersive first-person reporting with satire and analysis, making the case that it’s time to start appreciating our planet as-is—not as we wish it to be. Equal parts travelogue, expose environmental memoir, and faux guidebook, Blackwell careens through a rogue’s gallery of environmental disaster areas in search of the worst the world has to offer—and approaches a deeper understanding of what’s really happening to our planet in the process."

The author of The World Without Us, which I read a couple of weeks ago, also visited both Chernobyl and the Korean DMZ.  His focus was seeing how flora and fauna have developed in these spaces where humans fear to tread - fascinating.

Rosie, I loved Travel as Therapy (shukriyya's inversion too).  

My book story of the week:  a few days ago I popped into the library just to return and take out new audiobooks.  On my way to the checkout I passed a display about birds -- field guides, how to build a birdhouse, what to plant in a hummingbird garden, CDs of birdsong, etc.  This book, pairing Sibley illustrations with poems by different authors, grabbed my eye because it reminded me of Jane, and when I picked it up and opened it at random I got to:

Great Gray Owl (Annie Finch)

Who knew you would grow from gray bark

So that nothing is separate or new

But your yellow eyes following through

From the mottling brown in the dark,

Spectral Owl - from the spiral, the spark

That the circling feathers lead to?

Who knew you could speak as you do,

Great Grey Ghost -- who knew you could speak?

so that REALLY reminded me of Jane and so, naturally, I had to check it out as well.

I tossed it in the back seat of my car and promptly forgot all about it.   A few days later I took my dog with me on my errands.  While I was in the post office Yoshi -- who unlike our prior, bad dog, never chews anything -- utterly destroyed, chewed into teeny tiny itty bitty shards -- its back cover.  Just the cover, but totally beyond repair...

So today I have to go back to the library and 'fess up with the spankin' new replacement copy I had Amazon ship me, and I am now the proud if unplanned owner of the front cover and full text of a lovely Illustrated Anthology of Poems About Birds.  Jane, I'd be happy to mail it to you if you're interested in sharing.  I feel like it's actually part yours already.   :laugh:

GROUP VOTE:

I'm trying to decide which GH to read next. My options are:

The Foundling

The Reluctant Widow

A Civil Contract

I haven't read any of them. I will read whichever one is decided by BaW. Write in votes are allowed. Voting will close when I finish my current audiobook and am ready to start the GH book.

Well, now I have to read Reluctant Widow. I liked both of the others, A Civil Contract is different, not heart racing, but maybe more real in an unreal sort of way. A quiet love story in a crazy plot. It has been a long time since I read The Foundling, and it doesn't stand out in my mind. So I vote for The Reluctant Widow.

I've been wondering how you were doing on that series. I remember being put off by that in the earlier books also and being kinda mad that the author added it in. It seemed like trying to add her beliefs into the book where they felt clunky and took me out of the story. I don't remember the anti-faith beliefs showing up so much later in the series. Sometimes I miss things though. I'm the worst reader for trying to find symbolism because I seem to miss quite a bit in books. :glare: )

From what others have said, I suspect it is this third book that is the worst in that aspect. I'll start it soon, I think. Like swallowing medicine, get it over with.

I'm tempted buy this book based on Jane's rec and love of the author. However the subject material...suffering, suffering, suffering...ugh, do I want to immerse myself in the fictional vagaries of the human heart when the actual human heart is complicated and beautifully opaque enough??? I've got till the 20th to make this momentous choice :lol:

This is my favorite of Howatch's Family Saga books. She writes so beautifully, the twisting of perspectives from character to character is so well done and I find it intriguing how she resettles the plot of Caesar's life into early 20th C America/ Wall Street. The second book in the series, The Sins of the Fathers is good too, but this one is my favorite.

Travel as therapy... sounds good to me. The problem is when you've got 5 people traveling and one of the people in charge wants a sterile cocoon (standard hotel with tv and wifi) to stay  in, and the other wants a mountain cabin (rustic with no tv and wifi) so her kids will have fun things to do and not drive her crazy, even if it does mean doing a little cleaning and cooking.

Not that that is an issue right now. :001_rolleyes:

I'm about 1/3 through Eyes of the Dragon.  Meh.  I'm still just not really into it.  I like the tie-in to the Dark Tower series that you can really see in places. 

I read this and also found it to be meh. 

So, I was way behind in my Bible reading schedule. Like 200 pages behind. All caught up once again. I'm more than half way done.....I can do this. 

I started A Town Like Alice last night since I've seen the title pop up a few times while scrolling quickly through the last few weeks' threads. I didn't read everyone's thoughts - sounds like a generally liked book, though....

A couple of interesting articles about nuclear tourists...

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/09/140917-nuclear-tourism-chernobyl-stalker/

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2014/10/nuclear-tourism/ludwig-photography

remind me of a non-fiction travel book I read a few years ago, "Visit Sunny Chernobyl: And Other Adventures in the World's Most Polluted Places" by Andrew Blackwell. I recommend the book, especially if you find the articles intriguing or you are in the mood for a travel book.

http://www.amazon.com/Visit-Sunny-Chernobyl-Adventures-Polluted/dp/1623360269/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1411005865&sr=1-1

"For most of us, traveling means visiting the most beautiful places on Earth—Paris, the Taj Mahal, the Grand Canyon. It’s rare to book a plane ticket to visit the lifeless moonscape of Canada’s oil sand strip mines, or to set sail for the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. But in Visit Sunny Chernobyl, Andrew Blackwell embraces a different kind of travel, taking a jaunt through the most gruesomely polluted places on Earth.

Visit Sunny Chernobyl fuses immersive first-person reporting with satire and analysis, making the case that it’s time to start appreciating our planet as-is—not as we wish it to be. Equal parts travelogue, expose environmental memoir, and faux guidebook, Blackwell careens through a rogue’s gallery of environmental disaster areas in search of the worst the world has to offer—and approaches a deeper understanding of what’s really happening to our planet in the process."

It's interesting that you mention this. The Zone in Roadside Picnic (written in the '60s and coincidentally filmed in Ukraine in the '70s) was similar enough to the post-Chernobyl "Zone of Alienation" that there has been some term appropriation. Certain groups of people who work in or explore Chernobyl refer to themselves as Stalkers (the term used in the book and the popular Tarkovsky movie). A popular video game (Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl) took ideas from both the book, movie, and real life. 

Sort of book-related...dh and I have started watching a mystery series called, 'Miss Fisher's Murder Mystery Series' on Netflix set in 1920s Australia and featuring a fashionable, female detective. It started as a book series and is now three seasons long on television though only the first season is available on Neflix. The costumes, setting, architecture and landscape are wonderful... < insert lavish 1920s Euro set with pretty, flapper-style detective > The protaganist, Phyrne pronounced 'Fry-knee' is clever, very feminine and full of sharp, amusing commentary. I think some of the BaWers would very much enjoy this.

Good for ~13 year olds? Sounds great!

I'm not sure about continuing The Red Queen. I should've looked into it more but there is much more description of rape and such than I am comfortable with. I know it's historical fiction, which I think makes it worse in some ways thinking about how common this was/is. Sigh.

My daytime reading is slacking because I'm trying to finish knitting a Gryffindor sweater! So hopefully that will give me time to decide on my next book.

I've started reading The Girl Who Chased theMoon by Sarah Addison Allen. I'm surprised at how much I enjoy these books. They are so full of rich sensory detail, color, scent, taste, etc. I've never read anything quite like them.

:iagree:

I loved The Girl Who Chased the Moon!  Not to mention the gorgeous cover art.  

:iagree:

Love Sarah Addison Allen. The only one that I didn't particularly love or even like a lot was the most recent one. Can't remember the title at the moment. She's coming out with a new one and apparently the cover will be amazing. When the covers are like that, I really don't want them on my Kindle. 

51DwcQwtCCL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Oooo!  I know this was for Stacia, but Wow!  I have been teaching my little Art class at co-op for quite a few years now, and I try to have an "Artist of the Month" to introduce them to the famous artists and different styles.  I just LOVE this book!  I'm going to have to look into getting it.  Thanks!

VC & Angel, how are you feeling today? Hoping you're on the mend...

Thanks, Stacia!  I'm almost 100%.  Still have a nagging cough and fatigue but much better today.  Aly is still hacking away but think she is on the mend, too. Skye went up to bed early not feeling well.   <_< I was hoping she wouldn't catch it.  Her immune system plummets quickly, and with three kiddos to look after she needs to be well.  

Finished #52 today, I Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley. :party: Definitely my favorite Flavia to date.

I downloaded a bunch of books this afternoon from Overdrive as I'm going to be out tonight and not sure what I'll be in the mood to read. The Girl Who Chased the Moon was one of my downloads. I'm split on Allen so far. I didn't care for Garden Spells and I really didn't like The Sugar Queen. Both of those books had a plot element that really disturbed me, though. That being said, I read The Peach Keeper recently and really liked that one! So, we will see with this one.

:hurray:  I really enjoyed that Flavia book but the best is yet to come!  I've liked all of Allen's books so far, though Garden Spells made me a tad uncomfortable.  I read The Sugar Queen this year and adored it.  Maybe more than The Girl Who Chased the Moon.  I have yet to read The Peach Keeper.

We are just moving about a two miles from where we currently are.  Last May we put our house out in the country for sale and it sold so fast that we couldn't find a place and have been renting for the last year.  I'm really excited to own my own place again.  We love our rental but we never completely unpacked because we knew we'd be moving in a year.  

I'm trying to decide which GH to read next.  My options are:

The Foundling

The Reluctant Widow

A Civil Contract

I haven't read any of them.  I will read whichever one is decided by BaW.  Write in votes are allowed.  Voting will close when I finish my current audiobook and am ready to start the GH book.  

How exciting!  I will pray for your sanity over these next few weeks.  Did you see that I finally read the next Julianne Donaldson book, and was unimpressed?  Oh, and a IRL friend of mine recommended a book series for Aly last week, and I thought of the Little Librarian.  Has she read the Enola Holmes books by Nancy Springer?  I haven't read them yet, but said friend said they were great little books about the little sister of Sherlock Holmes.  This is separate from the YA version that I have heard about.  I just thought if she hadn't, you might want to check them out!

I've only read the most well known GH books so I don't have a write in.  

Even though I'm close to the end of The Wizard of Oz, I have had to stop and pick up the book for our co-op class on Monday, The Mysterious Benedict Society.  This was Aly's pick and one of her favorites.  I'm enjoying so far but am beginning to wonder if I'll be able to finish it.  I also just got a ton of books in from the library on Rumpelstiltskin.  There were so many different takes on his fairy tale story.  I'm looking forward to diving into them with Aly when The Wizard of Oz is finished.

VC & Angel, how are you feeling today? Hoping you're on the mend...

It was kind of weird; like 48 hours of mild flu, then gone. I've heard that this sort of thing can be from a virus for which you've been innoculated, and so you only contract it mildly; but that may be nonsense. My understanding of medicine (and science in general) is right up there with my expertise in Tuvan throat singing. Anyway, all fine now, and thanks for the thoughts! More Johnson....

My understanding of medicine (and science in general) is right up there with my expertise in Tuvan throat singing.

So glad you're feeling better, but there's no need to be modest. I know you're secretly a well-respected Tuvan throat singer & use a pseudonym for your recordings & to maintain a low celebrity profile here on the boards.

Gals, I do believe I've unearthed one of VC's recordings & you can listen here:

http://www.alashensemble.com/about_tts.htm

Be sure to click on the middle 'guy' to hear the Kargyraa style VC is demonstrating for us! I'm thinking a stiff shot of whiskey (or Nyquil) enhances her tonal style...?

I'm singing your praises, VC! No pun intended! ;-p

Oooo!  I know this was for Stacia, but Wow!  I have been teaching my little Art class at co-op for quite a few years now, and I try to have an "Artist of the Month" to introduce them to the famous artists and different styles.  I just LOVE this book!  I'm going to have to look into getting it.  Thanks!

Thanks, Stacia!  I'm almost 100%.  Still have a nagging cough and fatigue but much better today.  Aly is still hacking away but think she is on the mend, too. Skye went up to bed early not feeling well.   <_< I was hoping she wouldn't catch it.  Her immune system plummets quickly, and with three kiddos to look after she needs to be well.  

:hurray:  I really enjoyed that Flavia book but the best is yet to come!  I've liked all of Allen's books so far, though Garden Spells made me a tad uncomfortable.  I read The Sugar Queen this year and adored it.  Maybe more than The Girl Who Chased the Moon.  I have yet to read The Peach Keeper.

How exciting!  I will pray for your sanity over these next few weeks.  Did you see that I finally read the next Julianne Donaldson book, and was unimpressed?  Oh, and a IRL friend of mine recommended a book series for Aly last week, and I thought of the Little Librarian.  Has she read the Enola Holmes books by Nancy Springer?  I haven't read them yet, but said friend said they were great little books about the little sister of Sherlock Holmes.  This is separate from the YA version that I have heard about.  I just thought if she hadn't, you might want to check them out!

I've only read the most well known GH books so I don't have a write in.  

Even though I'm close to the end of The Wizard of Oz, I have had to stop and pick up the book for our co-op class on Monday, The Mysterious Benedict Society.  This was Aly's pick and one of her favorites.  I'm enjoying so far but am beginning to wonder if I'll be able to finish it.  I also just got a ton of books in from the library on Rumpelstiltskin.  There were so many different takes on his fairy tale story.  I'm looking forward to diving into them with Aly when The Wizard of Oz is finished.

She has read the Enola Holmes books and loved them.  I hope your DD enjoys them.  

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the latest Julianne Donaldson book.  That's disappointing when you think you have a new favorite author discovered and the second book is not as good.  I guess it won't be getting added to my to-read list!

It was kind of weird; like 48 hours of mild flu, then gone. I've heard that this sort of thing can be from a virus for which you've been innoculated, and so you only contract it mildly; but that may be nonsense. My understanding of medicine (and science in general) is right up there with my expertise in Tuvan throat singing. Anyway, all fine now, and thanks for the thoughts! More Johnson....

So glad you're feeling better, but there's no need to be modest. I know you're secretly a well-respected Tuvan throat singer & use a pseudonym for your recordings & to maintain a low celebrity profile here on the boards.

Be sure to click on the middle 'guy' to hear the Kargyraa style VC is demonstrating for us! I'm thinking a stiff shot of whiskey (or Nyquil) enhances her tonal style...?

Oh my goodness.  I knew nothing about Tuvan throat singing and now I've spent a good hour researching it/listening to it.  DS is particularly impressed with it.  He's standing beside me holding onto my chair and listening with a look that ... I can't really describe his expression.  Definitely something he's never heard before.  He seems to be enjoying it. 

VC - next time your group does a concert here in KC let me know.   :lol:

.... I know you're secretly a well-respected Tuvan throat singer & use a pseudonym for your recordings & to maintain a low celebrity profile here on the boards.

http://www.alashensemble.com/about_tts.htm....

That was neat to hear, Stacia; thanks for the link and the chuckle.  I first heard of Tuvan singing in this book about Richard Feynman:

Tuva or Bust!: Richard Feynman's Last Journey by Ralph Leighton

"As a stamp-collecting boy always fascinated by remote places, Nobel Prize–winning physicist Richard Feynman was particularly taken by the diamond-shaped stamps from a place called Tannu Tuva deep within Outer Mongolia. He hoped, someday, to travel there.

In 1977, Feynman and his sidekick— fellow drummer and geography enthusiast Ralph Leighton—set out to make arrangements to visit Tuva, doing noble and hilarious battle with Soviet red tape, befriending quite a few Tuvans, and discovering the wonders of Tuvan throat-singing.

Their Byzantine attempts to reach Tannu Tuva would span a decade, interrupted by Feynman's appointment to the committee investigating the Challenger disaster, and his tragic struggle with the cancer that finally killed him. Tuva or Bust! chronicles the deepening friendship of two zany, brilliant strategists whose love of the absurd will delight and instruct. It is Richard Feynman's last, best adventure. Illustrated"

Regards,

Kareni

I remember a video I saw of two seemingly ancient women throat singing a couple of decades ago and, quite apart from the astonishment of the sound coming from them, what struck me was the intimacy of the singers sharing their very breath. These were old, wizened women, Inuit, I believe dressed in skins and the film was black and white, obviously from a while ago. I've not been able to find anything similar but their synchrony has stayed with me.

You've been holding out on us, VC. I'm sure there's a special place in the loft for you!

I'm thinking a stiff shot of whisky (note that I did not use the American 'e'  :cool: ) enhances many vocalists' styles.  

:D

I'll admit, I've been pretty bored lately.  I recently read The Witch with No Name by Kim Harrison.  It's the last book in the Hollows series.  I have to say Rachel's constant whining throughout the book became rather obnoxious after a while.   :001_rolleyes:  I just wanted to strangle her!  I'm sad to see this series go, I really liked it, but also glad that the author knew when to quit.

I also finished the Cassie Palmer series by Karen Chance through Hunt the Moon.  I started the sample of the next book and then I had to take a break.  The pythia is supposed to be this all powerful being, but she is such the dumb blonde!

I broke another kindle and don't have the patience to go back through my library to see what was left to read on it at the time.  That's the only downside to a kindle.  :(

I have beem busy finishing off the multiple books I had started. Big sigh of relief....

Midnight in the Garden of Good an Evil is done. I will admit that the last third of the book dragged a bit for me, the trial. Probably partly because it was the third time through and I knew the outcome. It is the outrageous but believable characters that I love in this one.

Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen. I wanted to find out what had kept Teacherzee reading nonstop through the whole series, definitely addictive. The next one has been ordered but my search also uncovered another book by the same title (The Royal Pain) that I requested also. The second sounds like it should be made into a romatic comedy.

Don't Look Now and other stories by Daphne du Maurier. I may just finish my five Daphne books, four completed. :) I am not usually a fan of short stories, they always end too quickly. The first four in this book were very good especially the title one. The last to were sadly lacking in the mystical (for lack of a better word) and a bit disappointing butnot long.....

I have also lost a few posts this week. My fire could probably use a reset but I hate to do it.

I spent one afternoon this week working at a Tea and Coffee with a local really popular chick lit author. She spent an hour talking about her writing process which was really interesting. I picked up a couple of interesting thoughts that the writer's among us might find useful...

If you want to write a book you have to push through and get 100,000 words on paper (or screen) before you seriously start any sort of an edit. She shelved many at the start of her career because she started editing when she reached roughly 20,0000 words. Someone famous gave her that advice and it worked for her.

This woman is hilarious in person. Approximately 50 like some of us and very North of England. At the time she started the literary landscape was filled with huge (chunky) blockbusters about the posh types living in big cities. She tried and constantly was rejected because her subject matter came accross poorly but they loved her actual writing. As soon as she started writing about people she understood set in her part of the world her work started selling really well. Her books are very Yorkshire. No other way to describe. I felt like I knew a few of the characters in the one I read.

This was her last tip. Name it something that translates into other languages somewhat. It took her a while to clue in to that one. Her cute rather clever titles were a disaster in other languages. She brought an assortment of pretty hilariously titled foreign releases.

That is all I can think of right now.

I gave up on The Red Queen.  I just couldn't get into it, and it was too stressful.  I started in on Return of the King (re-read).  

Anyone have any awesome fantasy suggestions?  I'm trying to look back.  I need fantasy when I'm super stressed.  So for someone who has read about everything from Tolkien/Rowling/Gaiman/Sanderson but not wanting anything as comedic as Pratchett? And not Wheel of Time.  I'm stuck on book 9 of that one. :p Any takers want to recommend something?

I gave up on The Red Queen. I just couldn't get into it, and it was too stressful. I started in on Return of the King (re-read).

Anyone have any awesome fantasy suggestions? I'm trying to look back. I need fantasy when I'm super stressed. So for someone who has read about everything from Tolkien/Rowling/Gaiman/Sanderson but not wanting anything as comedic as Pratchett? And not Wheel of Time. I'm stuck on book 9 of that one. :p Any takers want to recommend something?

I recommend The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers. Have you read any of the Thursday Next books by Jasper Fforde?

Anyone have any awesome fantasy suggestions?  I'm trying to look back.

Fantasy is not my usual genre; however, I did enjoy the Brandon Sanderson trilogy that starts with

Mistborn: The Final Empire (Book No. 1).

If you're not opposed to a strong romance component with some adult content, I'd recommend the following two series -

Patricia Briggs' Alpha and Omega books starting with the Alpha and Omega novella first published in the On the Prowl anthology or now republished in a collection of solely Briggs' works titled Shifting Shadows: Stories from the World of Mercy Thompson.

and Thea Harrison's Elder Races series which starts with Dragon Bound.

Regards,

Kareni

Fantasy is not my usual genre; however, I did enjoy the Brandon Sanderson trilogy that starts with

Mistborn: The Final Empire (Book No. 1).

If you're not opposed to a strong romance component with some adult content, I'd recommend the following two series -

Patricia Briggs' Alpha and Omega books starting with the Alpha and Omega novella first published in the On the Prowl anthology or now republished in a collection of solely Briggs' works titled Shifting Shadows: Stories from the World of Mercy Thompson.

and Thea Harrison's Elder Races series which starts with Dragon Bound.

Regards,

Kareni

I love Sanderson. I've read almost all of his works. I'll check the others out. Thanks!

I have also lost a few posts this week. My fire could probably use a reset but I hate to do it.

I spent one afternoon this week working at a Tea and Coffee with a local really popular chick lit author. She spent an hour talking about her writing process which was really interesting. I picked up a couple of interesting thoughts that the writer's among us might find useful...

If you want to write a book you have to push through and get 100,000 words on paper (or screen) before you seriously start any sort of an edit. She shelved many at the start of her career because she started editing when she reached roughly 20,0000 words. Someone famous gave her that advice and it worked for her.

This woman is hilarious in person. Approximately 50 like some of us and very North of England. At the time she started the literary landscape was filled with huge (chunky) blockbusters about the posh types living in big cities. She tried and constantly was rejected because her subject matter came accross poorly but they loved her actual writing. As soon as she started writing about people she understood set in her part of the world her work started selling really well. Her books are very Yorkshire. No other way to describe. I felt like I knew a few of the characters in the one I read.

This was her last tip. Name it something that translates into other languages somewhat. It took her a while to clue in to that one. Her cute rather clever titles were a disaster in other languages. She brought an assortment of pretty hilariously titled foreign releases.

Its been too chaotic a week to stop and post, much less keep up reading the thread.  But this made me stop.  What is the name of this author and is there a particular title that would let us escape to a very Yorkshire setting?  

And my apologies that there are no photos of the doggie pool party.  They didn't stay still long enough!

Last night I enjoyed reading the contemporary romance  Irresistible Force (A K-9 Rescue Novel)  by D. D. Ayres.

"When adrenaline runs high, so does the force of desire…

For Shay Appleton, it’s love at first sight when a gorgeous stray dog is brought into the animal shelter where she works. She just knows he’ll make a terrific watch dog—and with an abusive ex who won’t let go, she needs all the protection she can get. But Shay never suspected that her new pet is actually a trained police K-9 named Bogart—until Bogart’s even more gorgeous, human partner shows up on her doorstep.

Officer James Cannon is one tall, strong alpha male who’s convinced that Shay stole his dog. But once he gets closer to the suspect, he realizes that this stubborn, independent woman not only needs a guard dog, she needs James as well. It seems that someone from her past is stalking her, and threatening her life. When danger meets desire, will James risk his career and his best friend…to protect the woman who’s stolen his heart?"

Regards,

Kareni

I gave up on The Red Queen.  I just couldn't get into it, and it was too stressful.  I started in on Return of the King (re-read).  

Anyone have any awesome fantasy suggestions?  I'm trying to look back.  I need fantasy when I'm super stressed.  So for someone who has read about everything from Tolkien/Rowling/Gaiman/Sanderson but not wanting anything as comedic as Pratchett? And not Wheel of Time.  I'm stuck on book 9 of that one. :p Any takers want to recommend something?

How about Patricia McKillip's The Alphabet of Thorn?

I'm coming up on 50% with 'Claire of the Sea Light' by Edwige Danticat. So far I'm liking it but not loving it. It's described as 'magical and captivating' but I'm not feeling it yet. I can appreciate the intricacy of story she weaves, her slow patient attention to what seem like innocuous details but which, when considered, give the book and the author's voice a kind of intimacy and immediacy. And I like the ambiguity, the lack of need for tidy, neat characters, the 'left-open' places because that's how it is, all of us going along with our 'left-open' places. And her descriptions of place are potent but despite all this there is something I'm missing because I'm not feeling what I would describe as a magical, captivating vibe yet.

I want to know where you got your dishes! I love that plate!

We've had it for such a long time, I don't remember. It was either a garage sale find or from my late mother in law. We actually only have the one, which is a pity, because I'd really like to have a whole set like it.

If you do that we may have to visualize you as an amorphous blob tippling and spouting Johnson at one end and devouring books at the other end. 

What? Just me? Ok.

:lol:

Finished #52 today, I Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley. :party: Definitely my favorite Flavia to date.

I downloaded a bunch of books this afternoon from Overdrive as I'm going to be out tonight and not sure what I'll be in the mood to read. The Girl Who Chased the Moon was one of my downloads. I'm split on Allen so far. I didn't care for Garden Spells and I really didn't like The Sugar Queen. Both of those books had a plot element that really disturbed me, though. That being said, I read The Peach Keeper recently and really liked that one! So, we will see with this one.

:hurray:

I think it was James Scott Bell in Plot and Structure who suggested stopping at the 20k point which is a really good Idea. Because I have a few verbose drafts that would have been helped by stopping to reread and get a handle of where I was going with the story.  Will try it with my next - whenever that may be.   Who was the author you went to see?

If you haven't read David Eddings, then that is what you should read!!!  Start with either Pawn of Prophecy (from The Belgariad) or The Diamond Throne (from The Elenium).  I promise you won't regret it.  If you haven't read them, go get a copy now  :D

As for Wheel of Time,  book 9 is the worst book in the whole series!  Push through that one and then it gets much better.  I read all of them last year! 

Its been too chaotic a week to stop and post, much less keep up reading the thread.  But this made me stop.  What is the name of this author and is there a particular title that would let us escape to a very Yorkshire setting?  

And my apologies that there are no photos of the doggie pool party.  They didn't stay still long enough!

The author's name is Milly Johnson. Very much chick lit. I read one White Wedding and felt pretty blah about it although it was funny. When she was talking about her books she mentioned it super briefly in a way that made me think she was pretty blah about it too. :lol: The Tea Shop on the Corner seemed to be the favorite of everyone in the room. Sounded a bit sad. Think it takes place in Barnsley which is a pretty typical good sized town in this area, former coal mining, working class type of place. Milly lives in Barnsley. The tea shop was imaginary but she received a phone from the owner of one just like what she described in the book after the book's release. The book was filled with odd coincidences for the author, two elderly characters moved to the front of the book etc. All very unplanned. I think all of her books are based in Yorkshire and Bronte country except one that is on a cruise ship. From her descriptions I may try It's Raining Men next. The Yorkshire Pudding Club had the really funny translations, Dutch was translated to Three Pregnant Bellies, I think, with a picture to match.

These aren't scenery books but people books. Her characters are very realistic including local dialogue. The places are real but not necessarily touristy. She did do cottages on the Bronte moors in White Wedding.

Jenn, I would try whichever one your library has first to see if you like them.

I'm currently reading Breaking the Spell by Daniel Dennett. It tackles religion and society in a way that I've not encountered before. I'll probably need a break from it soon and have a large pile to choose from. Eeny meeny miney mo.

That's on my tbr list as well. Maybe I'll just follow you around.