Menu

Bloggers, do you ever worry...

NotSoObvious

If you have a public blog about your kids (homeschool or family related), do you ever worry about what your kids will think of it in ten years? Will it bother them that so much of their life is "out there?" Do you think things are changing so quickly that it will just be normal for their generation to have photos and blogs?

I like my website because it's a fun record, it is nice for family and friends to see what we are doing, and it's been helpful to other families who are just starting to homeschool (that have told me so). But sometimes I want to delete it all and hide. :) sometimes I feel so exposed and I worry that it is too much.

Do you ever feel this way? Why or why not? How do you protect yourself and your kids?

That's a major reason why I don't blog about my kids. I blog about my life, not anyone else's. But it also depends on the purpose of the blog. If the point is to update family and friends about your family, then blogging about the kids' lives is necessary. When we have blogs like that, we make them private.

I don't blog near as much as I used to. A few years back, my oldest son's best friend had his first child. My son called me from Alaska to ask why I hadn't dug up cheesy younger pictures of him and his best friend when they were kids and then wrote a mushy blog about how fast the grow up, etc. he was actually bummed that I wasn't blogging about his life.

If you have a public blog about your kids (homeschool or family related), do you ever worry about what your kids will think of it in ten years? Will it bother them that so much of their life is "out there?" Do you think things are changing so quickly that it will just be normal for their generation to have photos and blogs?

I like my website because it's a fun record, it is nice for family and friends to see what we are doing, and it's been helpful to other families who are just starting to homeschool (that have told me so). But sometimes I want to delete it all and hide. :) sometimes I feel so exposed and I worry that it is too much.

Do you ever feel this way? Why or why not? How do you protect yourself and your kids?

No, I don't worry.

I've been blogging for seven years. I don't post things that would completely humiliate my children, and I have been known to beg and plead to post certain photos. They are both teens now and often look back at things they remember.

Protect myself and my kids? From people seeing what we do, or from potential stalkers? No to the former, and as for the latter, I'd be more concerned about a neighbor or someone at the grocery store.

I do worry about their privacy more than what I'm actually posting. I have a couple of blogs so I can sort what I want out there publicly and what I want to share with family only.

New2Homeschooling: public , no pictures or names of kids. I do show projects and their work.

Family blog: private sent out by email manually in the email section of Blogger settings. I do share pictures and names.

School Blog: private only viewable to me for recording what we do daily and projects. I figure its proof if I ever change states or need it for some reason. Plus I'd like to be able to look back on what I did for x kid at x grade.

Interesting. I like the idea of a private school blog. We may be moving to a state that requires a portfolio, so that would be an easy way to do it.

On my public blog I use pseudonyms and am careful not to post anything about them that might be too personal or too embarrassing. I have a private blog for that! It will be up to them to decide if they will tell any friends or girl/boyfriends about either blog. I haven't even told my IRL friends that I blog!

My kid is 13. He reads my blog and has no problem with anything written, and in fact became inspired to write his own. I would never write anything that would embarass a member of my family, use pseudonyms, and try to keep it mostly light. So far it has been a good opportunity for us to talk about internet security and permanence.

No, I don't worry.

If they look back on it 10 years from now and don't like it, I'll just remove it. 10 years from now it will all be irrelevant anyway. I plan to have it all put into books at some point so they'll have my "journals" of when they were little and once they are grown, I don't expect I'll still be blogging about them anyway.

Dd knows what is on the blog. There are things that happen around here that get "Don't you put that on the blog!" So I refrain.

I've had that too! My blog isn't primarily about my kids so they seem fine with it (I've been blogging for 7yrs). It's about my life, which includes the kids. I had one who went through the "don't ever take a photo of me." phase. What I did was, if I was using a photo it was taken from the back so no one could tell who it was. It was a pain for a while if I were taking a group photo of the family.

I do try to avoid something that would embarrass them.

This is the reason I say fairly little about my kids/their lives on my blog. Same with FB.