Menu

How well do you know the Bible?

How is your knowledge of the Bible  

1. 1. How is your knowledge of the Bible

• Believer - Little or none (know a few bits but haven't read it, or rarely read it)
    • Believer - Fair knowledge (know as many Bible stories/quotes as the average person)
    • Believer - Good knowledge (read/studied it a lot, know more than average)
    • Believer - Excellent knowledge (read it cover to cover, know it inside out)
    • Believer - 150% (inside out & back to front - history, apocrypha, various theological debates, etc)
    • Non Believer - Little or none (know a few bits but haven't read it, or rarely read it)
    • Non Believer - Fair knowldege (know as many Bible stories/quotes as the average person)
    • Non Believer - Good knowledge (read/studied it a lot, know more than average)
    • Non Believer - Excellent knowledge (read it cover to cover, know it inside out)
    • Non Believer - 150% (inside out & back to front - history, apocrypha, various theological debates)

Partly following on from the Old Testament reading thread, and partly because I'm curious about this.

Polls can't be totally reflective of everybody's situation, so please answer with the most appropriate response (or, as the case may be, the least inappropriate!). By "Believer" I mean any person whose beliefs include the Bible as an important aspect, whether you interpret it literally, metaphorically or otherwise. I hope that doesn't sound offensive to anybody. The reason I split it like that is because I am sometimes surprised to find very religious, Bible believing people who know a lot less about the Bible than I do, and I'm wondering whether that is unusual or not. I am hypothesizing that members of this forum will tend to be on the more knowledgeable end of the spectrum, but I'm also interested to know, how important do you think a detailed grasp of the Bible is?

Edited by Hotdrink

Hi Hotdrink, I think you welcomed me out of lurkerdom many months ago and I see that while you may be getting some poll takers, no one is offering any explanations!

I did not always attend church, and I did not read the Bible too much.

Now I attend just about every Sunday and this year in Sunday School we've been studying the Bible. Some of the people in my class seem to be very well versed in the spiritual, historical and cultural aspects of Old Testament times, which clues me in that I don't know as much as I think I do.

How important is it to have a detailed grasp of the Bible? It really depends on who you and what you are of course. Personally I think it is important, but I think it should walk hand in hand with the New Testament.

I think an extensive knowledge of Scripture is VERY important to a believer. I've come across threads all over the internet that have proven just how dangerous a lack of Biblical literacy can be. It makes people very vulnerable to false doctrine.

It isn't hard. I have a degree in theology. I don't think everyone NEEDS that. I think they just need to read it. Read the whole thing. Not just picking and choosing verses like a buffet meant to satisfy your emotional cravings or your desire to have a personal belief validated. Read it. And then read it again. And then read it again. Read it until it is as dog-eared as your favorite novel. Then get a new one and read it until that one falls apart.

I don't even read threads like the one you mentioned because it makes me very frustrated. I have to just walk away. My children know more about the Bible than many Christians I've met. Sigh, and we wonder why people are so easily led by the nose by the Osteens of the world.

I think an extensive knowledge of Scripture is VERY important to a believer. I've come across threads all over the internet that have proven just how dangerous a lack of Biblical literacy can be. It makes people very vulnerable to false doctrine.

It isn't hard. I have a degree in theology. I don't think everyone NEEDS that. I think they just need to read it. Read the whole thing. Not just picking and choosing verses like a buffet meant to satisfy your emotional cravings or your desire to have a personal belief validated. Read it. And then read it again. And then read it again. Read it until it is as dog-eared as your favorite novel. Then get a new one and read it until that one falls apart.

I don't even read threads like the one you mentioned because it makes me very frustrated. I have to just walk away. My children know more about the Bible than many Christians I've met. Sigh, and we wonder why people are so easily led by the nose by the Osteens of the world.

:iagree:

I could have written this post, including the part about having a degree in theology myself (as does my dh) and the part about my children knowing the Bible well, but Daisy made the point quite well, so I'll just agree.

Believer (by my own definition). I have read it "all" but voted extensively because I can't claim to know it inside and out.

I attend a Seminary for my MA in Counseling, I have taught Sunday school for adults and kids, I am a "reader" by nature. I read and studied many parts in preparing to teach parenting.

My frustrations with Bible knowledge/lack of aren't with people who haven't read it but with people who easily adopt other people's words about it and who spout Bible cliches (spare the rod spoil the child,for example, which isn't even IN the bible). That and bifurcating the Bible from the culture of its time and the human reality of its composition.

I voted Believer - Excellent knowledge (read it cover to cover, know it inside out)

but I am not a "Christan " according to most of you guys definition. I am not sure exactly you mean by believer?? if you mean believe the bible than yes. if you mean affiliated with a religion and believing their interpretation than no

I think they just need to read it. Read the whole thing. Not just picking and choosing verses like a buffet meant to satisfy your emotional cravings or your desire to have a personal belief validated. Read it. And then read it again. And then read it again. Read it until it is as dog-eared as your favorite novel. Then get a new one and read it until that one falls apart.

That's what I would have thought. However, there seems to be a sizable group of Christians who read the gospels and not much else, and pretend the OT prophets books don't exist.

My frustrations with Bible knowledge/lack of aren't with people who haven't read it but with people who easily adopt other people's words about it and who spout Bible cliches (spare the rod spoil the child,for example, which isn't even IN the bible). That and bifurcating the Bible from the culture of its time and the human reality of its composition.

Interesting points.

I voted Believer - Excellent knowledge (read it cover to cover, know it inside out) but I am not a "Christan " according to most of you guys definition. I am not sure exactly you mean by believer?? if you mean believe the bible than yes. if you mean affiliated with a religion and believing their interpretation than no

To clarify, I'm not interested (well, not in this context) in your religion as such. I just wanted to distinguish between those who see the Bible as a sacred, moral/spiritual guide directly relevant to their lives, and those who, like me, view it as an important work of literature that should be studied for cultural literacy and interest. (Or, to be less verbose, a good book vs The Go(o)d Book.) Does that make sense?

Edited by Hotdrink

i wonder just how many of us have a theology degree on this board?! i voted 150%, given that part of my education involved biblical hebrew and greek. interestingly, given your clarification of what you meant, i also voted "non-believer", because i read the bible as a good human book, from which we can gain an understanding of how people have experienced God over time, and the understanding they had about the experiece. as such, it both reveals and obscures God. for me, if it were the Good Book, it would reveal without obscuring. it would be crystal clear about slavery being wrong, and wouldn't give advice about selling one's daughters into slavery faithfully. the ten commandments might include some version of "be kind to your children". i could go on and on.

how does one design a poll that works across cultures??!!

I am a believer and I voted Good Knowledge.

I believe the Bible to be the literal inspired words of God. I believe in the inerrancy of Scripture. I have read all the way through the Bible and studied it rather extensively (both OT and NT) since I was saved 14 years ago. I attend a very solid church pastored by John MacArthur, one of the leading exegetical preachers of our day. However, the more I read and study the more I realize I have much to learn, hence the "Good Knowledge" vote. I do not believe it is possible to plumb the depths of Scripture completely in this lifetime.

I voted Believer - Excellent knowledge (read it cover to cover, know it inside out)

but I am not a "Christan " according to most of you guys definition. I am not sure exactly you mean by believer?? if you mean believe the bible than yes. if you mean affiliated with a religion and believing their interpretation than no

This is my explanation as well...only I voted Good Knowledge, because i always feel there is more to learn. I am a Christian in my own interpretation...as I believe Jesus is my Savior and I am saved by grace and not by works. I am not however, affiliated with any church because I just don't really fit in anywhere....sigh....

Faithe

I voted non-believer, good knowledge.

With regards to the "Old Testament", obviously I read it from the Jewish point of view. I know Hebrew (and, if my life depended on it, I could probably get through some Aramaic too, though my Aramaic has always been quite incidental - picked up phrases - and I never actually "learned" it), I have studied basic (Jewish) commentators, and can position the text quite well in the "matrix" of Judaism. My theological background is far from extensive, though I have studied the major writings of Jewish scholarship throughout the ages; however, with a philosophical rather than legal focus, and the Talmudic legal minutiae have never been something I was seriously drawn to master. DH can handle that part. ;)

Anyhow, I view "Old Testament" to belong to a completely different tradition than most people here view it, to be a part of a completely different "cultural matrix", so approaches here may vary greatly.

With regards to the New Testament, growing up in a Catholic culture as well as receiving a classical education typical of that culture one cannot avoid a more-than-basic familiarity with the text. I have read it, though perhaps not in its entirety in Greek, even if I have studied large chunks of the text for Greek exams. As a part of my education I also studied some major texts of Christian theology and philosophy, as well as specifically Catholic ones - nothing which equals a theology degree though.

I never managed to see NT as the "logical sequel" of "OT". Even if I believed the text was divine, that would apply only to "OT" and, possibly, even in a more narrow sense, without Nach - only to (written) Torah. However, I remain religiously uninspired, though the Bible is certainly of THE works that have shaped the "Western civilization" as we know it today.

Non-believer, however I fall somewhere between excellent and 150%. I've read the Bible through, but I didn't memorize anything. OTOH, I studied philosophy and learned quite a bit of theology. I've also done quite a few Teaching Company classes on the Bible, the Reformation, Ethics and the history of Christianity. It's a fascinating topic.

ETA: I voted 150% because of the mention about theology.

I chose "know more than average" because I believe I know more than most people who identify themselves as believers, but I definitely know less than, say, most of the people at my church. Hope that makes sense.

For example, when I was 31yo and began attending a non-denominational church that really emphasized Bible study, I was very surprised to realize that my Bible knowledge at that time was limited to Sunday School stories -- mostly Genesis, Exodus and Jonah and the Gospels. What my sons knew by the time they were beginning to attending Youth Group far surpassed what I had learned by that age.

And, most importantly, my knowledge was mostly head knowledge, while my sons have more of a heart understanding and application mindset.

I voted excellent knowledge, but that is 95% in the English language. I have studied much history, some theological debates, and am beginning to study the apochrypha. However, sometimes I feel as though I know nothing.

I've noticed that Christians, myself included, have been critical of faiths that will not listen to those to have objections of the validity of their beliefs, when we do exactly the same thing! So I have embarked on an even more comprehensive study of the history of my own religion, including any objections that have been historically addressed.

Very often I find myself feeling bewildered and have to pause to sort out what I have learned and how I will personally assimilate that knowledge. At the moment, my faith in a supreme God has not changed, but my faith in the inerrancy of scripture has.

I am now in a position of theological loneliness. This kind of study is not encouraged (or discouraged) in my church. Aside from the preacher and a few of the older members, I am probably the most self educated in Biblical history and the scriptures, but not necessarily the wisest. :-) I find myself more and more (internally) disagreeing with speakers, or being bored to tears. I think I am coming to the conclusion that perhaps growing in wisdom and compassion are more important than all the knowledge I could possibly accumulate.

Believer (by my own definition). I have read it "all" but voted extensively because I can't claim to know it inside and out.

I attend a Seminary for my MA in Counseling, I have taught Sunday school for adults and kids, I am a "reader" by nature. I read and studied many parts in preparing to teach parenting.

NOTHING steams me more than someone running off on an unrelated tangent based upon one verse in the Bible...or someone taking words out of context;

:iagree:

No theology degree here, but I grew up as a pastor's kid and have read and studied intensely. However I try to emphasize to my kids that the most important thing in the Bible is the relationship with God. The Bible is one of God's ways to talk to people we need it to have a living relationship with him. Not just to fill our heads with knowledge.

Non-Believer, Good Knowledge.

i was not raised Christian, i dabbled in it in my early 20's. i studied a lot and used to be able to throw out scripture and verse like crazy. i still score very well on 'how well do you know the Bible' quizzes. honestly, it's just this that puts me off when people come proselytizing. i spent the time educating myself and know, for 100% sure, that i do not believe.

I was torn between non-believer top two most knowledgble.

I was born again at 13 and read the KJV cover to cover that year. I was a missionary with a well known, international evangelistic group until a couple of years ago.

Comparative religion was my thing. I could argue dispensations, Calvinism, Arminianism, Anabaptism, the various views on the rapture, universal salvation. I've read the Bible in more versions than I care to remember, as well as spent years poring over my Greek interlinear NT translation, etc. I loved discussing various positions and various doctrines with JWs, Mormons, Amish, Mennonites, Unitarians, Buddhists, Muslims, and made it a point to have ready Biblical responses ready for any place our beliefs collided.

There are so many times I consider popping into one of the Bible and doctrinal discussions here because I can still debate/discuss those issues from my original, chosen viewpoint, but I'm so done with those days I don't want to waste any more of my life.

But, I have no doubt that I could still pass myself off as a very devout, knowledgable missionary and disciple-maker. :)

T.

Believer, by your own definition, however, you are frustrated when other people adopt other people's words about the Bible. Isn't that what you're doing with what it means (in the Bible) to believe? I am trying to understand the difference :bigear:

I put believer with fair knowledge, though I am working on improving that! I am a newbie Christian who remembers the Bible somewhat from childhood, and who is working on a study of the NT right now. I've read the Gospels through a few times, now I'm working on them again, taking notes, making an outline this time (I figured out that I have to do this to make it stick! I can't seem to just read it and remember it.). Then I plan to read the companion series by Lawrence Farley, or at the very least, the companion for the Gospel of John. Then I'll work my way through the epistles, and then, eventually, start on the OT.

At the same time that I am doing this, I am also trying to learn more about the saints, because the stories of people who have truly allowed Christ's light to shine through them are very uplifting to me, and I feel very important for us to see Christ's transforming power at work in the world. I'm also trying to deepen my understanding of the liturgy and the church calendar.

Now, all of that said, I will say that I don't think "head knowledge" is the most important thing for a Christian to develop. :001_smile: And I'm working, slowly but surely, on living a life of prayer and repentance. The head knowledge is actually the easier part. Changing one's heart is the real challenge.

Well I chose believer with excellent knowledge but I am finishing a degree in Theology so I may have a leg up on others.

I chose believer with Excellent knowledge. I've read it cover to cover several times (need to do it again). I've studied it in depth quite a lot and know a bunch of the debates stuff from taking theology classes and having to write papers defending what I believe.

But I would NOT say I know it inside out. I still find stuff new to me.