Menu

When do YOU call?

It's 10:18. I'm watching a kid who was supposed to be picked up at 10:00. Her mom hasn't called or anything, and tends to be late, but I've tried to talk to her about it before.

How late are you before you call and let people know?

Just call her on her cell phone "Hey are you on your way? Everyone is tired and ready for bed."

Daytime I'd give a little more give way, but if it's 10pm, that's different. You aren't some teenage babysitter sitting at their house, you're sitting up at your own waiting on her.

10:32 and she's out the door. I told her that I want her to call me when she's going to be late, and she seemed honestly confused. I told her that since she was half an hour late and hadn't called me, that I was charging her for another hour.

She wants a "pickup range" 20 minutes before or after her designated pickup time. I want her to not come after the time she tells me she's going to be here. This isn't the first time I've explained this. We're clearly looking at this from different perspectives. But when I have to get up before 6am the next day, there really is a difference between 10:00 and 10:30.

I would tend to agree with the previous poster that your rate should change when she's late without calling. I know back when I was single and working there was a single mom who would practically leap over the desks trying to get out of the office on time.....her day care center charged $1 per MINUTE that they were late picking up their kids. I once said "well, why don't you just tell them you'll pick them up at 6 instead of 5:30, so you're pretty sure you'd never be late." Turns out that they are charged based on when they SAY they'll pick up not actually when they do....so if she says she'll pick up at 6 and arrives to get them at 5:15, she's paying for 45 minutes the kid isn't there, every day. I always thought it was quite the racket until I had kids and watched other people's kids.....and then I totally understood the reasons. :tongue_smilie:

I would agree that you did the right thing charging her for an hour when she was half hour late. While I see her wanting some leeway, I'd go to the reasons you're watching the kid to decide....if it's work related I might cut her a little bit of slack, but insist that she call....you don't always have control over leaving work. But, if it was Girl's Night Out and she was late because she chatted and said goodby for 30 minutes, well, I'd have a lot less tolerance of her disrespect for my time.

And...I'd point out that she asked for 20 minutes leeway but was 30 minutes late today, so even if you gave her some leeway, she already would have violated it.

Tough situation, but I now know enough mom's who do daycare to know that if you don't set the tone early on, the parents will walk all over you.

You should have her sign a contract that states what your policies are so there aren't anymore "surprises". When I did home daycare, I had one client who thought that the time she spent commuting/shopping/running errands between my house and her place of employment should be free! And she also regularly forgot to bring enough diapers. She had signed a contract that stated the extra charge per 5 minutes past pickup time, and the extra charge per diaper when I ran out of the ones she brought, but she tried to walk all over me because I was a small business. When I handed her the bill, she decided to walk without paying the extra that she owed. I had a week deposit to cover the week she left, but she had a lawyer send me a note about how she was planning to sue me for it, until I wrote a nice letter back with a copy of the signed contract. I almost ended up taking her to small claims court, but she ended up paying in the end.

10:32 and she's out the door. I told her that I want her to call me when she's going to be late, and she seemed honestly confused. I told her that since she was half an hour late and hadn't called me, that I was charging her for another hour.

She wants a "pickup range" 20 minutes before or after her designated pickup time. I want her to not come after the time she tells me she's going to be here. This isn't the first time I've explained this. We're clearly looking at this from different perspectives. But when I have to get up before 6am the next day, there really is a difference between 10:00 and 10:30.

Oh see this is different. I figured you were just watching one of the kid's friends or something. As a favor type of thing. I didn't realize you were working as a babysitter.

No she needs to either show up when she says, or pay an overage charge. Especially when you are doing this at night.

As for the pickup range, she says she'll be there at 6. Okay. She gets there at 5:40, she's still paying till 6pm. She gets there at 6:20, she's still paying till 6pm (20 minutes free). She gets there at 6:25 or later, she's paying till 7.

Now you just have to ask yourself, is she going to consistantly come at 6:20? To prove a point? To get 20 minutes free? Or will she be one of those who will still end up getting charged for the extra hour fairly regularly? In other words, knowing her personality, will the pick up range end up being a hassel for you?

Either way, I'd put it in writing with her, because I have a feeling she'd have a hard time understanding the 'deal' when it's not in her favor.

The kid had gone to bed at 8:00 with my kids. I was the one who wanted to go to bed.

Why did you need to wait up? Stick a note on the front door with opening hours, like shops have. Heheh. Snarky, but I would be really snarky by that time of night.

Rosie

She's nuts. That's the only excuse I can think of to be a half hour late for an evening babysitter, because I KNOW first hand how incredibly difficult it is as a shift worker to find someone decent to mind kids! Being on time would have been the LEAST I would have done to ensure that my sitter was content and willing to continue the arrangement!

Unless you're in serious financial need of the money she pays, I'd give notice. She doesn't respect you or her child enough to show up when she ought to, and this nonsense of wanting some leeway time is just that, nonsense. I've never had an employer that was willing to give me a 20 minute window either way!

Ah, I'd pass on the babysitting. Or else you'll have to assume that 10:00 means 11 and leave it at that.

But a window? Geez, talk about taking advantage.

We've always called before we're late. Although I have to say we've never been. But when we had other things than babysitting, visiting friends or whatever we'll call as soon as we know we'll be late.....before we're late.

When my one son had his day care, it closed at 6:00. If they were 15 min late it was $10. If they were 30 min. late it was $20. Up it went to an hr. If they were an hr late he called dss.

I thought that was extreme but he said he had to pay two staff even if there was one child left.

Tell her from now on she ahs to pick up at 9:30. Then when she shows up it will be 10. Charge overtime for every five minutes past the pick-up time.

When I, for a short while, watched a neighbor's kids the one preschool tyke kept showing up earlier and earlier, while I was trying to wrap up home school for the day with my kids. The dad (who wanted to sleep) thought that since I was home it didn't matter when his kid showed up (the mom worked days, the dad nights. I was supposed to have the kids from after school time until the mom got them at 6 - 7ish.). I had to put my foot down - I was not going to babysit a hyper preschooler during our school time!

Later, when the parent's work shifts , well, shifted (and several months after I had stopped babysitting) the dad wanted me to watch the hyper tyke BEFORE public school started. I did not do so (again, homeschool...plus getting my son with autism through his morning routine took priority.) A few times the preschool kid would follow his older siblings to school and the school would call the dad (waking him up) to come get the boy, as he could not be unattended on the playground. One of these times, as the dad walked by our house, I caught him GLARING at me - as if it was my fault his kid was not being watched.

You need to establish boundaries and time limits and stick to them.

Ok, I sent this email today:

From now on, 10pm is the official "closing time" here. Because I have to get up by 6:00 to watch the kids who come in the morning, 10:00 is the latest I can be up waiting for people. Child is welcome to spend the night if you need her here later than 10pm.

Additionally, the time you give me as a pickup time is when I expect you to come pick her up. Effective next week, there will be a $5 fee for every ten minutes that you're late. The fee will be due before the next time she returns.

While I'm happy to work with your need for flexible hours, when you tell me that you'll be here at 10:00 and you don't get her until 10:30, I feel like I'm being taken advantage of.

:hurray: Good for you! :hurray:

It sounds like you need to be tough with this woman, or else she'll walk all over you. :boxing_smiley:

I'm glad you documented the rules in writing, as it will prevent confusion later.

Cat

Ok, I sent this email today:

Not just an email, agree with another poster (I haven't them all though) that said a signed contract. Even if this is the only child you watch, it is a business. There are even many contracts that you can download for free. What you wrote in the email (minus the feelings), put it on paper and have her sign it.

I had mom like that, but unlike yours, she would pay the extra no problem. I purposely made my late pick-up fees ridiculously high because I want to be off when I'm off! I did have to let her know that on certain days, she really had to be there at her pick up time, but otherwise, I enjoyed the extra cash :D.

Not just an email, agree with another poster (I haven't them all though) that said a signed contract. Even if this is the only child you watch, it is a business. There are even many contracts that you can download for free. What you wrote in the email (minus the feelings), put it on paper and have her sign it.

Excellent idea!

Cat