Menu

I'm officially a TOG dropout

melmac

After scrimping and saving (since my now 5th grader was a 1st grader) and buying one here and one there over the years, finally having all four classic years on my shelf and then spending the last month and a half planning, I've decided it's not for us. Isn't that awful? I'm ashamed of myself, really. Any other dropouts want to join in my pity party? :001_huh:

I am so sorry it hasn't worked out for you. You have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of at all! Many of us have had the same experience with various materials. I think you are wise to recognize what is not working and to make the hard choice to move on to something else.

I am not a TOG dropout and would love to avoid being one if at all possible.

I have been considering using TOG. I have some reservations about whether or not it would be a good fit for us.

Would you be willing to share your wisdom and experience with TOG? I would appreciate hearing why it was not right for your family.

Maybe I can learn from your wisdom.

Thank you for your time.

Bless you!

I've been considering TOG, thinking we might use it in a couple of years. Generally I'm much more enthusiastic about it when I haven't looked at it in a while. Once I sit down with the sample and try to get through the online tour I usually lose interest. :001_huh:

I'm not really a drop out. I just decided that it is the direction I want to go for the grammar years. I'll pick it up again in two years when I have a D and a UG.

BUT...you have to do what you have to do for your own fam. If it's not a good fit, then move on. Don't feel ashamed. We have all bought stuff we thought would work great, but then figured out that it didn't. No shame in that! :001_smile:

Well, on the bright side, TOG Classic might be selling at a premium with all the troubles they've had with their digital edition. You should be able to recoup most if not all of your money. (And then spend it on other curricula of course! :lol:)

I think it depends on your personality. We had a really good year. The kids learned tons. I especially liked their maps and literature sheets. There were parts I didn't use...Vocab, Writing Aids. The Bible was mainly just reading through it. TOG gives you weekly planning not daily, you schedule out your own days-some people like this other don't. It is really a great program with many people very happy with it. It really comes down to a teaching/planning style.

TOG was the one curriculum I fell in love with, told everybody about it, brought it to bed with me at night, gloated like I was an expert...

...and then quit 6 weeks later... :blush:

I wanted to love it, and it would NOT surprise me if I go back to it someday, but year 1 was not really a good fit for us.

I've been considering TOG, thinking we might use it in a couple of years. Generally I'm much more enthusiastic about it when I haven't looked at it in a while. Once I sit down with the sample and try to get through the online tour I usually lose interest. :001_huh:

I got totally overwhelmed by the samples but then found the set for a great deal and thought what the heck.. I have a diverse group.. 3/4 grader with dyslexia and a hs in 9th grade. We have just started and so far so good. We can tweek it.... We can do the sections longer for the highschooler and then get him AP credit if all goes well. I'm totally okay with that. If it doesn't work I'm okay with that too and better yet.... I get my younger boy there too. We are doing great so far but it's new to us. We are struggling but in a good way. I got more into it by seeing it entirely. I wish you lived here so I could share. It makes a huge difference.

I've looked at TOG for years, wishing I had the money to give it a try. I think that if I did get it, though, I would probably be a drop-out, too. That's the one thing that keeps me from scrimping to get it. It looks like a wonderful problem, but I just don't think I'd be able to make it work for me.

On the bright side, now that the whole program is going digital and won't be able to be resold, if you wait a year, you'll probably be able to make some good money on re-selling your print edition. ;)

TOG was the one curriculum I fell in love with, told everybody about it, brought it to bed with me at night, gloated like I was an expert...

...and then quit 6 weeks later... :blush:

I wanted to love it, and it would NOT surprise me if I go back to it someday, but year 1 was not really a good fit for us.

:iagree:

After scrimping and saving (since my now 5th grader was a 1st grader) and buying one here and one there over the years, finally having all four classic years on my shelf and then spending the last month and a half planning, I've decided it's not for us. Isn't that awful? I'm ashamed of myself, really. Any other dropouts want to join in my pity party? :001_huh:

Well...if it helps...I've bought and sold my TOG manuals 3 TIMES!!!

It seems great in theory...but not for us in practice.

I am a CM/ Classical Mom with workbook/ textbook kids....:confused:

AH!! With all the angst over the DE edition, you should be able to sell your Classic editions.

Good Luck,

Faithe

Well, to be honest, I couldn't have used the Classic version either. Had TOG not redesigned their year plans, I would not be a TOG user today.

:iagree: I was a TOG dropout when they just had the classic. I LOVE the redesign. I'm sorry it didn't work out for the OP, but I'm glad she's decided and can now move on to something else. It's also good that it's something that has a high resale value.

Just to answer the question of why it didn't work out for those wondering, it's all my library's fault. :glare: It does not have ANY of the books listed to use or anything similar, now if it listed bubble gum classics like sweet valley high or the scary books I can't think of the name right now, we would have been fine, but not the case.

Thanks to the economy we are in no position to buy the books needed and I tried finding free ebooks to use, but it's too much of a hassle trying to figure out what would fit where and my 5th grader isn't real keen on reading off the computer because it makes his eyes hurt.

It's a wonderful program, but due to financial constraints, I'll never be able to fully put it to good use. Oh, well.

I hear your woes. Our library system is less than wonderful too. We have been eeking by TOG Y3. It does worry me though. I'll just have to pray we get into a position where I can buy more of the books. I bought most of unit 1 and 2, but relied on the library, solely, for the other two units. I'm praying Y4 goes more smoothly for us.

I, too, was worried I'd drop out, but so far, we're making it. I really want it to work. But...sometimes stuff happens.

Don't beat yourself up over it. As the other ladies have said...you have identified this isn't for you, move on. No shame in that. We are always seeking to find what works best for OUR INDIVIDUAL families. You did just that. :)

This may not be the place to ask, but part of my dilemna about TOG (I'm still interested...I think) is...what is it? I've downloaded the 3-week sample lessons but I just can't seem to grasp it fully.

Is there a spine? Is there a main text that guides you through everything and then the additional readings are, well, additional readings? That I could probably handle. Scrambling for books, then only reading 2 1/2 chapters here and another chapter there just sort of drives me bonkers.

I think that's why I love SOTW so much. SOTW is the main text and everyone reads it in order, from beginning to end. I don't mind finding additional material in Kingfisher or library books or websites, but if we're busy that week and don't get to it, the whole thing doesn't fall apart.

This may not be the place to ask, but part of my dilemna about TOG (I'm still interested...I think) is...what is it? I've downloaded the 3-week sample lessons but I just can't seem to grasp it fully.

Is there a spine? Is there a main text that guides you through everything and then the additional readings are, well, additional readings? That I could probably handle. Scrambling for books, then only reading 2 1/2 chapters here and another chapter there just sort of drives me bonkers.

I think that's why I love SOTW so much. SOTW is the main text and everyone reads it in order, from beginning to end. I don't mind finding additional material in Kingfisher or library books or websites, but if we're busy that week and don't get to it, the whole thing doesn't fall apart.

Technically, no, there is not a spine. HOWEVER, they do have SOTW listed as an additional reading that you can do, and we did use that as a spine.

Is there a spine? Is there a main text that guides you through everything and then the additional readings are, well, additional readings?

Yes and no.

For instance, we are in Unit 4 of Year 2. Since about week 18 (that might not be right - the Unit 3 binder is downstairs), my ds (who is doing dialectic level) has been reading This Country of Ours. This unit he's also been reading George Washington's World. He's reading the books in order for the most part. He might skip a chapter here and there. He'll continue in this book for most of Year 3.

That's just one example, and I probably made it sound even more confusing. In a nutshell, a book will function as a spine for a unit or two - or sometimes longer. But there isn't one single spine for the entire year.

I am also a recent TOG drop-out. We may go back to it some day, especially when we get back around to the levels we already own. I too was in love with TOG, but just could not sustain that amount of intensity. History was getting a disproportionate amount of attention in our school. Yes, history is important, but there is so much else to learn. ;)

This coming year we'll try TruthQuest. It, like TOG, has discussions based upon a biblical-worldview. But, TQ does not specify which book to read on each topic. So, for George Washington, TQ just wants you to read any book about him then do the discussions. Interesting prospect.... I don't know if that freedom will reduce my stress, or add to it!

I'm also a TOG dropout. TOG was my last effort to try to find a curriculum that would work for us through high school. Dc#1 was in 8th grade when we used it. I bought a full-year curriculum of the classic edition. I bought a bunch of books to go specifically with it. We used it for about nine weeks. My kids and I hated it. I couldn't keep up with the reading for the teacher; it wasn't very interesting to me, and I usually love history. My kids hated just about everything about it. We had used so many different curricula over the previous nine years, and I accumulated so much stuff, but I never sold anything, because I thought I may just want to use it again with a different kid. But I knew I'd never want to use TOG again. My kids were urging me to sell it. I guess they didn't want to take the chance of having to use it again.:laugh: BTW, the only good thing that came about from it was that I finally convinced myself and dh that it was okay to spend money on online classes. Dc#1 is now finishing up 11th grade, and the online classes have been very good for him.

I am also a recent TOG drop-out. We may go back to it some day, especially when we get back around to the levels we already own. I too was in love with TOG, but just could not sustain that amount of intensity. History was getting a disproportionate amount of attention in our school. Yes, history is important, but there is so much else to learn. ;)

QUOTE]

This is our situation, too. For a long time I had thought I'd use TOG for high school. When a TOG co-op formed nearby I thought it would be a good time to try it. After 2 years of TOG we're burned out on history. And I don't want my ds's to hate history. The time and intensity was just too much for us. Both ds's lean toward math/science, but we spent waaay more time on history and lit a la TOG. Ds1 will probably go off to a private high school next year where they use textbooks (which I think would have been his preference all along). For ds2 we're going to scale back--SOTW with some lit. And more science!

I still love TOG. It just doesn't feel like the right fit for us.

Cinder

TOG is truly beautiful and I'm amazed at how very rich it is. I love it in theory, but the samples alone overwhelmed me. It's just not practical enough for our family of active boys.

Don't lament for too long. You'll find something that fits you and yours. There's certainly a plethora of options to choose from. :)

I am right there with ya sister! Just not my cuppa.

I officially just dropped out....I bought 3 years of the redesigned, and just decided to sell them...thankfully, most of it sold fast so I have funds to try other things. Still trying to sell Y1. It is unique and I like it, but I decided there are things better suited to my children's ages now.