Bible - Navigator's Bible memory and Sonlight Core 4

Math - MUS Delta and into Epsilon

Latin - First Form Latin

Writing/Grammar - CW Aesop B

Spelling - Spelling Power

Literature/History - Sonlight Core 4

Science - NOEO Physics Level II

Art - Handle on the Arts

Drama - because we just don't have enought of that, we need classes, too.

Thoughts? I'd love to see your plans, too.

Hi Amy,

We're just finishing 4th grade.

We have used:

Math: Singapore 5 Primary Mathematics, and Life of Fred

Grammar: Growing With Grammar

Vocabulary/Spelling: English from Classical Roots 5.

History/Geography: Story of the World volume 4

Music Theory: Vandendool Keyboard Theory

Violin: Suzuki violin book 3

Science: Janice VanCleve's Engineering for every kid.

I've blogged about most of these here:

Teach Them Well

Lisa

My plan has great big holes in it :glare:

Math - TT5

Reading - lots of books!

Writing -

Spelling -

Grammar - maybe Growing with Grammar or maybe we'll stay with Easy Grammar

History - Hoping to combine SOTW 3 with Thirteen Colonies/Great Republic (Guerber)

Science - Chemistry. I have a few books (Chemical Chaos will be a big hit!) and I hope to find the right kit at the PA convention next week.

Bible -

Art -

Music -

French - he wants to start...I am not sure!

I am so glad that I am getting to the convention this year!!

ETA: Amy, your plan looks so good!

Edited by Liza Q

Drama - because we just don't have enought of that, we need classes, too.

:D

Do you find that SL has a good amount of international history? Or is American-focused what you're wanting? I ask not to criticize but because it's one thing that keeps me from using the SL list as our main go-to for readers for the rising 4th grader.

Here's my plan for the Daydreamer, who will turn nine in July and be in fourth grade for this 09-10 school year --

"three R's"

Writing With Ease 3

Life of Fred Fractions

Big Book of Lively Latin II

Elementary Greek Year One

memorization of two hymns, a speech, three poems, and something in Latin

fine arts

Artistic Pursuits 4-6 Book 1

Music Ace + Pianimals

religion

Paganism: An Introduction to Earth-Centered Religions by Higginbothams

literature

Timeless Themes (a non-Christian Bible course)

Rosemary Sutcliff's retellings of the Iliad & Odyssey

history and geography

I donno yet. Is there something that covers the Renaissance, Reformation and Exploration geographically rather than chronologically with movies, notebooking, and historical fiction for optional supplementation?

science

Thames and Kosmos C500

Real Science 4 Kids Chem Level II (textbook only)

The Elements by Ellen McHenry

possibly a coop with friends once a week or so

Chemistry is this kid's favorite subject, and we've been collecting resources for years. Can you tell? I don't know how we'll put them all together yet, but I'm also not sure we don't just want to plop the kid in the pile of resources and say, "Here you go dear. Write down what you do, and have it cleaned up by suppertime."

Wow, Amy--your 4th grade plan looks a lot like mine!

Here's what's on tap for my ds next year:

MUS finish Delta, start Epsilon

CW Aesop finish A, start B

First Form Latin

Noeo Science Chemistry II

Rod and Staff grammar 4

SOTW 4

Getty Dubay Italics

Memoria Press Christian Studies III

Reading from library books and other suggestions in TWTM

Master Key typing

Still unsure: Spelling workout? He is in Level E right now. He's an ace speller. Will probably just continue but it often seems like busy work, especially as we have started Aesop. I've been skipping the word analysis in that.

DD9 going in to 4th next year:

Math MUS Delta

Grammar GWG4

IEW for writing

REAL science Odyssey Chemistry

History Odyssey Modern lvl1

HWOT Cursive 4

French (looking at First Start)

Gymnastics class

Various books (maybe Is the Wolf an Octopus)

Most of this is mostly set, but only math and writing have been bought so far.

We are using the LCC framework and the Ambleside Yr. 3 booklist for lit, geography and history. This is a very new to us and I'm excited to get it all figured out!

For the basics we are using:

MUS

Writing Tales

Spelling Wisdom

Living Memory (we'll use this for copywork, too)

Latin for Children A (this is our first year)

We also have co-op on Tuesday's that has music, art, science and history. I love it for the fellowship w/ other mama's and the kids love it 'cuz it's fun. She'll continue piano lessons, too!

Edited by LoveBaby

Your plan looks good. I love Sonlight literature picks. I'm very eclectic so I cherry pick from many curriculums. We're doing:

Bible: creed review, Calvary Chapel's rotation of Bible Stories, KONOS character traits aligned with history studies.

Math: Christian Light or Horizons (can't make up my mind for the spiral stuff and Math U See DVDs and manipulatives for the common sense and math tricks.

Spelling: Spelling Power

Penmanship: Getty Dubay

Grammar: Rod & Staff 4

Writing: The best of Rod & Staff 4, Shurley 4 templates, and Writing Strands 3 (rotated obviously)

Literature: Historical and Classic Read Alouds from Sonlight, My Father's World, and KONOS lists. We only read two books at a time and throw ourselves into them. If we don't like a book after three chapters we move on to one we enjoy.

History: reading through SOTW 3 but focusing on American History through activities, etc. coming from KONOS units and MFW schedules.

Science: reading through an Apologia book and doing the experiments that look interesting. This year the kids want to choose their own science subjects to research from a list made by me that covers the 4 sciences. They get to share what they learned on Thursdays.

Field Trips: On Fridays we're going to do field trips to music concerts, art museums, and Texas history sites.

My goal is to have a maximum of 2 1/2 to 3 hours in book work. Most of it will be projects, reading, independent study or projects, and life skills.

I'm starting to worry that I might have too many really cool but teaching-intensive things on my plate for next year (partly because I also have some of that stuff for the older dds, how will I do it all??)... but this is what I've got on tap for my youngest:

Math: Singapore 4a/b extras: Math Detective, CWP

Logic: Grid Perplexors, Cranium Crackers

Spelling: Sequential Spelling

Grammar: Mish-mosh of MCT, trying to do Easy Grammar with older sisters (at her insistence), Editor-in-Chief

Vocab: MCT Building Language, Word Roots

Poetry: MCT Music of the Hemispheres

Lit: Monthly book group w/ Lit Circles

Penmanship: Getty-Dubay Italics

Writing: Outside writing class, finish WWE2 (maybe start WWE3)

Typing: Typing Instructor for Kids

Science: Coop, Classic Life Science (mr. q), Science Detective

History: Finish US and start Ancient cycle - with older sisters

Geography: Map Skills

Music: Piano lessons, chorus

Art: ?? argh.

Spanish: ?? Need something to follow Español para chicos y grandes, and oddly, their level 2 isn't it. ugh.

German: Sat. School

PE: possibly ballet

:D

Do you find that SL has a good amount of international history? Or is American-focused what you're wanting? I ask not to criticize but because it's one thing that keeps me from using the SL list as our main go-to for readers for the rising 4th grader.

Here's my plan for the Daydreamer, who will turn nine in July and be in fourth grade for this 09-10 school year --

"three R's"

Writing With Ease 3

Life of Fred Fractions

Big Book of Lively Latin II

Elementary Greek Year One

memorization of two hymns, a speech, three poems, and something in Latin

fine arts

Artistic Pursuits 4-6 Book 1

Music Ace + Pianimals

religion

Paganism: An Introduction to Earth-Centered Religions by Higginbothams

literature

Timeless Themes (a non-Christian Bible course)

Rosemary Sutcliff's retellings of the Iliad & Odyssey

history and geography

I donno yet. Is there something that covers the Renaissance, Reformation and Exploration geographically rather than chronologically with movies, notebooking, and historical fiction for optional supplementation?

science

Thames and Kosmos C500

Real Science 4 Kids Chem Level II (textbook only)

The Elements by Ellen McHenry

possibly a coop with friends once a week or so

Chemistry is this kid's favorite subject, and we've been collecting resources for years. Can you tell? I don't know how we'll put them all together yet, but I'm also not sure we don't just want to plop the kid in the pile of resources and say, "Here you go dear. Write down what you do, and have it cleaned up by suppertime."

Sonlight actually does not have enough international focus for me, LOL! However, I really need the pick up and go layout right now. My kids really enjoy history and will read SOTW 4 and associated library books on their own anyway, so I'm not too concerned about what they will miss. But our focus really has to be writing, so I want the ease of using SL for formal history/lit. I hope to make up for the lack of international focus by using Core 5 the following year.

Is Timeless Themes a Bible as literature type of course or something else? I'd be interested to hear about it.

My 4th grader will be 9 in August, so I've got a young one, too!

These our my plans for my dd next year:

Abeka Math 4

Easy Grammar 4 & 5

SOTW Vol IV

WTM Reading for Modern

Noeo Chemistry II

A Reason for Spelling D

A Reason for Handwriting D

IEW SWI A via co-op

Study life of Jesus for Bible

Edited by charlotteb
forgot something

My plan has great big holes in it :glare:

Math - TT5

Reading - lots of books!

Writing -

Spelling -

Grammar - maybe Growing with Grammar or maybe we'll stay with Easy Grammar

History - Hoping to combine SOTW 3 with Thirteen Colonies/Great Republic (Guerber)

Science - Chemistry. I have a few books (Chemical Chaos will be a big hit!) and I hope to find the right kit at the PA convention next week.

Bible -

Art -

Music -

French - he wants to start...I am not sure!

I am so glad that I am getting to the convention this year!!

ETA: Amy, your plan looks so good!

I know what you mean about the holes, but better to have holes and wait for the right thing, than fill it up with the wrong stuff. And when you find the PERFECT fit -ooh what a feeling of accomplishment!

I guess I need to get a life! :001_smile:

apparently my plans are to buy high and sell low.

Here are my firm plans as of this week:

Maths: Right Start D and Evan Moor word problems, then LOF

Composition: Was CW, now it's WWE

Latin : finish Song School Latin with little sister then Minimus, or maybe start Minimus without Little sister

Grammar: Junior Analytical Grammar

Spelling: Spell to Write and Read

Handwriting : Modern Cursive practice

Literature.... yes

History: Story of the World 2

Geography: ( maybe ?? ) Evan Moor

Reading Comprehension: Evan Moor ( I sound like a commercial) Celebrating Diversity and Read and Understand Science ( insurance if science gets lost in the shuffle, at least he will get SOMETHING )

Science: Was REAL with younger sister, now I'm thinking look at state standards, knock them out in the first 6 weeks then do nature Study.

Piano and church choir

TaeKwonDo

Soccer

Art class

lordy,, no wonder I'm tired :ack2: I have to declutter. Back to reading LCC, and the mantra "don't let the good crowd out the best" I think " Don't let the already bought" mean "I have to use it"

Does anyone have any opinions about what to leave off. ?

~c. in alabama

apparently my plans are to buy high and sell low.

lordy,, no wonder I'm tired :ack2: I have to declutter. Back to reading LCC, and the mantra "don't let the good crowd out the best" I think " Don't let the already bought" mean "I have to use it"

Does anyone have any opinions about what to leave off. ?

~c. in alabama

Christine--maybe you could skip geography as a separate subject? I've been pretty happy with the amount of geography/map work in SOTW. We tried a geography workbook (not Evan Moor) and were both bored to tears--is Evan Moor better? Also--can you combine literature and reading comprehension? Maybe use some of the reading comp techniques with your lit? I like your plan, though. Looks great to me!

We're finishing up 4th grade! Here's what we used:

English - IEW / Phonetic Zoo Spelling / HWT Cursive Success

History / Reading - Sonlight Core 4 w/ Trail Guide to US Geography

Math - Teaching Textbooks 5

Science - Sonlight Science 5

Art - 1-2-3 Draw books

PE - Tae Kwon Do

I know what you mean about the holes, but better to have holes and wait for the right thing, than fill it up with the wrong stuff. And when you find the PERFECT fit -ooh what a feeling of accomplishment!

I guess I need to get a life! :001_smile:

You are so right - our years usually come together really well. I am hoping that I get a few bursts of inspiration at the convention!

This year I have a graduating senior so college decisions (really, college drama ;)) have me way behind in my planning.

My oldest is also just finishing 4th;

MATH: Singapore 4A and 4B

SPELLING: SWO F and part of G

GRAMMAR: R&S4

WRITING: CW Aesop

LITERATURE: assign library books (There's a list on the left column of my blog)

LATIN: LfC A

HISTORY: TruthQuest AHYS 2 and 3

SCIENCE: Apologia Zoology 2

ART: 1-2-3 Draw Ocean Animal by Levin

MUSIC: The Story of the Orchestra

CRITICAL THINKING: BTS 2, Mind Benders A series

We will start 4th grade the first week of June. Wow!

Mathematics: Singapore Math 4a/b

Latin: Lively Latin Lessons 6-16

Composition: Classical Writing Aesop's B

History: SOTW 3-4

Science: Science kits to explore independantly

Independent research: studies topics of interests and lapbooks them

Art: access to supplies and instructional books

Music: Piano

And that is about where we are at. If you want an in-depth analysis of 4th grade then check out my blog where I recently posted about it.:001_smile:

If we homeschool, I think we'll use

Math: Saxon 5/4 or 6/5, depending on placement

History: SOTW 3 with Activity Guide and some supplements

Lit: AG recommendations, plus some from Sonlight 3

Writing: Rod and Staff 3, unless dd knows most of it, then we'll do 4

Grammar: RandS

Science: Nature Study, Jr. Ranger programs, some lessons from somewhere

Art: Drawing With Children, possibly Artistic Pursuits, maybe a class

Music: Lessons

For my soon to be 4th grader:

English: Rod and Staff English 4, daily dictation, 4 written narrations per week (probably very short), various readers and read alouds selected from AO 3 & 4, SL 3, and SL 7 (based on what books we have around the house that are appropriate for her reading or listening level).

Math: Singapore Primary Math 3B, 4A, and 4B. CWP 3 & 4 (really, the older version: Topical Problem Sums. I made her older brothers work these out on dry erase boards so I would still have the books for the younger two). I may use some of MUS Epsilon and Zeta to supplement the fraction and decimal sections of Singapore 4, since I have them.

Science: Apologia Zoology 3, plus library books about various animals.

History: This Country of Ours--Columbus through President Taylor (read aloud with lots of commentary to balance the bias against Native Americans). State notebooking pages. Various Dover historical coloring books. Selected biographies read aloud. George Washington's World.

Bible: undecided. We read around 15-20 verses together each day, and they (my two younger children) narrate what we have read orally and/or in writing. This year we read Luke, Acts, and much of the Old Testament. I think next year we will start around Exodus or Numbers and read some of the early Old Testament portions. I also want to read one of the gospels with them. Our memory verses come from their Spanish Sunday School assignments. (I have them learn these verses in English and in Spanish.)

Spanish: Rod and Staff Spanish readers without the workbooks. She reads a lesson each day, and then narrates it in Spanish. Sometimes I have her translate some or all of the lesson, as well. Usually she writes a short sentence from dictation. At least once a week she also has a Spanish read aloud (picture books) and narrates. In addition to this, she has Spanish Sunday School and Children's Church each week, and her father speaks to her exclusively in Spanish.

Art/Music: We are using AO's method for both of these, but I make my own choices of hymn, folk song, composer, and artist. Art materials are available for use in free time.

I'll play this morning, this is for my 10 yr old.

reading Day by Day kids Bible

MUS finish Gamma and move into Delta

Rod and Staff grade 4

work on WWE 2 and move into WWE 3 later in the year

Typing Instructor

Music Ace

Draw Write Now

Lively Latin 1

Winston Grammar

Pathway Grade 4 reader and workbook

HWT cursive

Heart of Dakota Beyond history,science, poetry, Bible, geography - shared with 2 sisters

All About Spelling level 2 and 3

(I think that's it?)

Alison

My son who will turn 9 in August will be mostly 4th grade next year...still working on this but these are the ideas churning in my mind...

CLE Math

GWG (finish 3, move onto 4)

New American Cursive book 2

Spelling Power

WT 1 and/or WWE 3 (after finishing WW2)

The Great Latin Adventure level 1

SOTW 2 and activity guide

Read alouds from Truthquest AHYS

A Child's Geography (earth science)

CLE grade 3 reader

Day By Day Kid's Bible

start Alfred's Basic Piano course

Co-op classes (art, music, ???)

Basketball

Homeschool 4H group in the spring

I think that is it. The main thing I have to decide on now is WT or WWE for next year for him...I feel he would benefit from both, but don't know if that is overkill, kwim?

Writing: Classical Writing Aesop B

Spelling: All About Spelling Level 3 & 4

Grammar: Growing with Grammar 4

Handwriting: HWOT Cursive

Math: RightStart E, Primary Grade Challenge Math

Science: Hands-On Science Physical, Backyard Ballistics, The Art of the Catapult

History: Story of the World Modern Times, American Stories, Children’s Encyclopedia of American History

Geography: Map Skills – Basic

Art: Artistic Pursuits K-3 Book 3

Music: Composer study

Latin: Latin Prep 1

French: First Start French 1

Spanish: Fun Spanish

Critical Thinking: Logic Countdown, Critical Thinking Activities 4-6, Logic Safari

PE: Dance (Ballet & Jazz), swimming

Dd will be 9 at the beginning of August, so a young fourth, working on a wide range of levels.

Math Life of Fred Decimals & Percents, to be followed by Life of Fred Beginning Algebra & Home Companion, with work in the Key to... books on the side.

Grammar Junior Analytical Grammar and Editor in Chief Books A1 & A2

Spelling/Word Study All About Spelling... She'll finish Level 4 by the end of September, likely, so I'm hoping Level 5 is out by then. Whenever we finish Level 6 or if we are waiting on any levels, we're going to start with Vocabulary from Classical Roots 4th grade book.

Penmanship I *need* to start her on cursive, but I don't know what we'll use.

Writing Writing Tales 2

Reading/Literature A list I've developed, some comprehension guides, some discussion a la Deconstructing Penguins, and also a book club

Science Physics via various books and experiment kits; someday I'll finish the schedule and post it on my blog

History SOTW 4 with mapwork from the activity guide and supplemental histories and biographies, concentrating a bit more on American history and historical figures.

Latin Lively Latin (???)

Logic Puzzles She's starting to show some logic-stage signs, so she'll work through MindBenders and that type thing next year

The Arts Master's Academy of Fine Arts, homeschool band, piano lessons, and hopefully drawing lessons, plus we try to find local performances for drama and dance.

Well, I'm going to post this just to see it all in print. I think it will look overwhelming. I placed the last few orders on Friday and hope to have some fun packages this week and next.

Math: Singapore 4A/B, CWP 4, supplement with Horizons 4A/B

Grammar: R&S 4

Spelling: R&S finish 4, move on to 5

Handwriting: RFH D

Typing: Getting Mavis Beacon--may have her do it this summer. Hoping she thinks it's fun.

Writing: Writing Tales 2 is here. May also get WWE 3?? Younger sis will be using WWE 1.

Latin: LFC B

Spanish: Spanish for Children

Bible: Voyages 4th grade

History: Biblioplan America & the World 1850-2000 with SOTW, Biblioplan mapwork. No AG. Starting in July to try to finish by next June! Spending the summer months on the civil war.

Science: Just starting to wing our way through a study of the earth. This will also lead to a little geography, maybe this summer (Discovering World Geography workbooks--Basic and U.S.). Then we will go into R.E.A.L. Science Life. Diving into the Planet Earth DVDs to go with. I'm actually pretty excited for science this year.

Art: Want to study Impressionists and others. Have DGA and the America artists version of it for projects.

Music: continue piano lessons

P.E.: outside activities--swim lessons, gymnastics, softball

I'm still figuring this out, but here's where I'd like to go w/dd9:

Math: Saxon 6/5, MUS finish Epsilon, move on to Zeta, then Life of Fred.

Latin: LCII

LA: CW Aesop B, readings from SOTW, SWO, Grammar??? not sure if CW is enough. I'm tempted to use R&S.

History: Finish SOTW 4, restart cycle w/SOTW and D'Aulaires and possibly Famous Men. Squeeze in geography as part of history lessons.

Science: Van Cleave--Biology?

Art: Drawing w/Children, lots of other misc. art appreciation (tends to be hit or miss).

Music: choir and if we can fit it in piano lessons

Classical conversations

PE: Fencing, martial arts, volleyball, btball, baseball

Christine, I agree w/you so much on the getting over the "I've bought it now I have to use it mentality."

I bought so much stuff b4 I knew what I was doing and it now glares at me accusingly.

Laura