Menu

Quick dinners that don't taste quick??

I thought it would be fun to start a thread to share our favorite recipes that can be made in a pinch, but that doesn't taste like it. I know many days my homeschooling runs late and then I'm faced with the question of the ages... What am I going to cook tonight? I know I'm new here so I hope I'm not starting a thread that has been done already. I just thought it would be helpful. :) Blessings.

Jennifer

Here is a recipe I use quite a bit when I have no time. It is very simple to make and it tastes really good. The recipe calls for clams, but I've used chicken breast strips too and it's just as good. :) If you use chicken you can throw in some sliced mushrooms too! :) YUM!

Linguini in Clam sauce

1 lb. uncooked linguine

1-2 tbs. olive oil

1 tbs. butter

5-6 cloves minced garlic

4 (6 oz.) cans chopped or minced clams

1 heaping tbs. dried oregano

4-5 heaping tbs. dried parsley

1-2tbs. Heavy whipping cream

Pecorino Romano - grated *There is no real measurement to the cheese. Add to your taste. You will need at least a good handful or two for a pound of pasta to get the right consistency of creaminess.

Bring water to a boil in a large pot, add salt and linguini. Cook until al dente, approximately 7 to 10 minutes.

While the water is coming to a boil, in a small saucepan, saute the garlic in the olive oil and butter until it is golden brown. Add clams (or chicken), oregano and parsley and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the cream and simmer for about 5-6 minutes more.

Drain pasta (but do not rinse-you'll need the starch) You can either add the pasta directly to the sauce and mix it up or put the pasta back in the pot it cooked in and pour the sauce over it and mix it up.

Add generous handfuls of romano cheese and stir it up before serving.

Serve immediately with a fresh garden salad and garlic bread.

Serves 4

Edited by Ibbygirl

Falafel (from a box, unfortunately), hummus, couscous, pita and whatever fruit or raw veggie I throw on the table.

Another quick standby is Mexican-inspired something with black beans and rice.

This last one isn't cheap, unfortunately, but is popular here: a good loaf of bread (or two) plus an assortment of fresh fruits and veggies with whatever dips people prefer. This one usually gets done on weekends when we want something casual to nosh on while watching a movie.

Bean burritos wiith cheese, avocado and sour cream sides with organic corn chips & salsa. If you sautee some spinach to add to the refried beans before heating, you're all set. With brown rice & sweet corn as a side, you cannot go wrong, ime.

Edited by LibraryLover

We make this sauce in bulk and keep a jar of it in the fridge to add to stir-fried whatever-is-in-the-fridge -- leftovover pasta, vegetables, meat, rice, etc. Today for lunch we made a salad of grated carrots, bok choy, red cabbage, green onions, and cilantro and poured the sauce over it as the dressing.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Thai-Style-Peanut-Sauce-with-Honey/Detail.aspx

Half my family doesn't tolerate soy sauce so we sub salt and water.

My favorite "I don't want to cook but have to feed these people" meal is breakfast! I can scramble up some eggs w/cheese and salsa, throw it in a tortilla and add a fruit on the side and you're good to go.:tongue_smilie:

Of course DH is hungry again like an hour later (because there wasn't any MEAT in that meal), but then he's on his own with a pb&j!;)

We make this sauce in bulk and keep a jar of it in the fridge to add to stir-fried whatever-is-in-the-fridge -- leftovover pasta, vegetables, meat, rice, etc. Today for lunch we made a salad of grated carrots, bok choy, red cabbage, green onions, and cilantro and poured the sauce over it as the dressing.

OOOOH that looks good. I love Thai food. I'll have to try that recipe. Thanks so much for sharing it. :)

My favorite "I don't want to cook but have to feed these people" meal is breakfast! I can scramble up some eggs w/cheese and salsa, throw it in a tortilla and add a fruit on the side and you're good to go.:tongue_smilie:

Of course DH is hungry again like an hour later (because there wasn't any MEAT in that meal), but then he's on his own with a pb&j!;)

LOOOL My hubby too. If he doesn't have meat at every meal he thinks that he hasn't eaten. hehe :)

Another one that I make alot that it is yummy can be quick if you prepare ahead or buy the crusts. I make the pizza crusts ahead of time and then freeze them and then just add the toppings.

For the pizza dough:

1 and a half cups of warm water (110-115 degrees)

2 Tbs. yeast

2 Tbs. sugar

Mix that and let it rise for about 20-30 minutes

In a large mixing bowl add 3 cups of flour and a teaspoon of salt and about 2-3 tbsp. olive oil. Pour the risen yeast into the flour and stir until all the flour is wet. Add 1-2 more cups of flour and turn out to knead. Knead until it's not sticky anymore and then let it rest in an oiled mixing bowl to rise until double. About 45-60 minutes. Turn out the dough onto a floured board and divide into 3 parts. Roll each part out to fit your pan and then wrap in plastic wrap and put in the freezer.

Toppings:

My favorites in a pinch are spagetti sauce and pepperoni slices and cheese for the kids.

For me, my favorite is this veggie pizza. I don't use any sauce. I put red onions (that have been soaked in water for 30 minutes) bell peppers (all colors) and some goat cheese broken into crumbles and scattered all over the top. I then just drizzle some olive oil over the top of the pizza and bake that at 400 degrees until the crust turns golden. Probably 10-15 minutes depending on the oven. YUM.

The dough takes some time, but if made ahead or if you use store bought, this is a meal that can be made in a pinch too. :)

Our quick dinner last night: Thai rice noodles with "peanut butter" sauce and shredded raw veggies with cilantro dressing...

The Thai "rice stick" rice noodles cook in just a few minutes. Then toss with "peanut butter" sauce (in quotes 'cause while PB is the traditional ingredient, we use sunflower butter because of ds' allergies, and that works just as well). For the sauce, just whisk together:

natural peanut butter (or sunflower butter)

a little honey or maple syrup

soy sauce / tamari

Thai fish sauce

crushed red pepper flakes

enough hot water to make it smooth and pourable

lime juice!

Toss the noodles with the sauce. (If you want, you can cut large-ish cubes of extra firm tofu and stir them into the sauce before tossing in the noodles.)

Serve alongside a big salad of raw veggies. I run a head of cabbage (just rough-cut into eighths) through my food processor, some carrots, maybe zucchini or yellow squash... If I have cucumber or radishes, those are good. If I have bean sprouts, I'll throw them in the salad without chopping or slicing... Whatever I have. For a "quick" meal, toss all the veggies with a store bought cilantro dressing. (If I'm taking more time, I'll make a real dressing with rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce, a little sweetener, then garnish the whole plate with big sprigs of fresh cilantro and lime wedges.)

Yum! I will be bookmarking that for future use (but with almond butter - we have a peanut allergy). Thanks!

Mexican Casserole

Plan to make more than you can eat in one meal -- the next night will be Mexican Soup.

Soak and cook a cup of black beans. (or you can use canned beans).

Place chicken tenderloins on the bottom of a roasting pan.

Add the following:

medium jar of cheap salsa/picante sauce

a small bag of frozen corn (or canned)

black beans

small can diced chiles

optional: sour cream or yogurt, leftover onion or other beans, red peppers. I tend to throw in bits of this and that.

Bake at 350 degress until chicken is cooked. Add some Mexican cheese (or any cheese you have on hand).

The next night, put any leftovers (dice the chicken) into a pot. Add chicken broth. Now you have a Mexican soup. Toss tortilla crumbs on top (you know, those small pieces no one wants to eat). Serve with salad and cheese quesadillas or nachos.

Mexican Casserole

Plan to make more than you can eat in one meal -- the next night will be Mexican Soup.

Soak and cook a cup of black beans. (or you can use canned beans).

Place chicken tenderloins on the bottom of a roasting pan.

Add the following:

medium jar of cheap salsa/picante sauce

a small bag of frozen corn (or canned)

black beans

small can diced chiles

optional: sour cream or yogurt, leftover onion or other beans, red peppers. I tend to throw in bits of this and that.

Bake at 350 degress until chicken is cooked. Add some Mexican cheese (or any cheese you have on hand).

The next night, put any leftovers (dice the chicken) into a pot. Add chicken broth. Now you have a Mexican soup. Toss tortilla crumbs on top (you know, those small pieces no one wants to eat). Serve with salad and cheese quesadillas or nachos.

That sounds really good. Thanks for sharing your recipe. YUM. :)

• 1 month later...

I do something very similiar, but typically throw in a handful of leftover meat.....chicken is a favorite and I often cook extra just so it's on hand (if we grill I have DH do the marinaded tonight's dinner but then fill the grill to capacity with non-marinated chicken as well...I have him cook those to just done so reheated they aren't tough). Beef works too, but it's a bit harder to precook without sauce or seasoning of course.

LOOOL My hubby too. If he doesn't have meat at every meal he thinks that he hasn't eaten. hehe :)

It's pretty much a psychological thing though.....one egg has 6 grams of protein....1 ounce of most cuts of beef have 7.

Throw in another egg white for the extra protein without as much bulk or cholestrol, and maybe you'll hit on the amount of protein he needs for it to register? Like i said above....I do a breakfast burrito but throw in an ounce or so of leftover meat.

I made this last night:

saute an onion and fresh garlic in olive oil and a little salt.

Add a little chicken broth (I had leftover fresh!) - maybe a cup and a cup or two of tomato sauce.

Add whatever you have in the fridge/freezer. We added:

black beans

corn

spinach

peppers

rice

I served it with sour cream and cheese and a side of green beans. Everyone loved it!!

This recipe is VERY popular with my family:

Preheat oven to 350 def. F.

Split three loaves of ciabatta lengthwise (as if making a gigantic sandwich).

In small amount of olive oil, soften 1 Cup of diced onion, and around 6 minced, large garlic cloves.

Add 1.25 lb. of leanest possible ground beef -- (I buy 96% lean) -- which has been mixed with 1 heaping Tbsp. of a good-quality dried barbecue seasoning. (We like this: http://www.simplyorganicfoods.com/products.php?ct=sogrindertop&cn=BBQ+Ground+Up )

When the meat mixture is done to your preference for doneness, pour in entire contents of a 15-oz. can of diced tomatoes with herbs. (Don't drain, in other words.)

Turn off the pan heat.

Spray a large baking sheet to guard against sticking.

Place the bottom half of two ciabatta loves on the baking sheet. (I can fit only two on my largest pan.)

Divide the meat mixture into three equal portions.

Spread one portion of the meat mixture across the bottom layer of each loaf.

Top the mixture with your preference of grated cheese. (We use Monterrey Jack.)

Place the top layer of each loaf as a "lid."

Bake in the oven until the cheese melts completely.

(Now have to go back and bake the third one.)

Cut the "fake stromboli" into large serving pieces.

I cut each loaf into 6 pieces, so this recipe serves 18 restrained people, but only 9 (or fewer) excited diners.

Price is quite reasonable, too, depending on what specific ingredients one chooses to use.

I nicknamed this "Cheater's Stromboli" because I started out by making my own bread dough and rolling it out for the base (which I then folded over and sealed). Now I cut time corners and use this recipe !

This recipe is VERY popular with my family:

Preheat oven to 350 def. F.

Split three loaves of ciabatta lengthwise (as if making a gigantic sandwich).

In small amount of olive oil, soften 1 Cup of diced onion, and around 6 minced, large garlic cloves.

Add 1.25 lb. of leanest possible ground beef -- (I buy 96% lean) -- which has been mixed with 1 heaping Tbsp. of a good-quality dried barbecue seasoning. (We like this: http://www.simplyorganicfoods.com/products.php?ct=sogrindertop&cn=BBQ+Ground+Up )

When the meat mixture is done to your preference for doneness, pour in entire contents of a 15-oz. can of diced tomatoes with herbs. (Don't drain, in other words.)

Turn off the pan heat.

Spray a large baking sheet to guard against sticking.

Place the bottom half of two ciabatta loves on the baking sheet. (I can fit only two on my largest pan.)

Divide the meat mixture into three equal portions.

Spread one portion of the meat mixture across the bottom layer of each loaf.

Top the mixture with your preference of grated cheese. (We use Monterrey Jack.)

Place the top layer of each loaf as a "lid."

Bake in the oven until the cheese melts completely.

(Now have to go back and bake the third one.)

Cut the "fake stromboli" into large serving pieces.

I cut each loaf into 6 pieces, so this recipe serves 18 restrained people, but only 9 (or fewer) excited diners.

Price is quite reasonable, too, depending on what specific ingredients one chooses to use.

I nicknamed this "Cheater's Stromboli" because I started out by making my own bread dough and rolling it out for the base (which I then folded over and sealed). Now I cut time corners and use this recipe !

Man, that sounds really good! I have to try this one. :)

Bistro Chicken Pizza

1 packaged prebaked pizza crust

Olive oil

¾ c. pizza sauce

1 6 oz. package of grilled chicken strips, cut into bite size pieces

2 roma tomatoes, chopped

1 3-4 oz. container of feta cheese, tomato and basil flavor

4 oz. mozzarella, grated

Fresh basil, chopped (or dried)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Brush pizza crust with olive oil. Spread pizza sauce over crust. Arrange chicken and tomatoes over sauce. Sprinkle both cheeses evenly over pizza. Sprinkly fresh basil over cheese. Bake 12-16 minutes, or until cheese is melted and crust is crisp.

Barbeque Chicken Pizza

½ c. barbeque sauce, divided

1 6 oz. package of grilled fajita strips, cut into bite size pieces

6 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled

8 oz. package of shredded Mexican cheese blend

Fresh cilantro, chopped

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spread ¼ c. barbeque sauce over crust. Combine remaining barbeque sauce with chicken, coating well. Spread chicken and bacon over crust. Top with cheese and cilantro. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Pesto Focaccia Sandwich

1 large deli-loaf focaccia or ciabatta bread

3.5 oz. prepared pesto (approximately ½ c.)

½ lb. thinly sliced Black Forest ham

½ lb. thinly sliced turkey breast

6 provolone cheese slices

½ small red onion, thinly sliced

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cut bread in half horizontally using a bread or other serrated knife. Spread pesto evenly over both cut sides. Layer ham and next 3 ingredients over bottom half. Top with remaining bread half. Wrap in aluminum foil. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until warm in middle. Cut and serve.

Fiesta Soup

1 can black beans (15 oz.)

1 can whole kernel corn (11 oz.)

1 can Rotel Original (10 oz.)

Fresh Cilantro, to taste

Ground Cumin, to taste

Stir together and simmer over med-low heat for 15 minutes.

Chicken Tacos

1 Rotisserie Chicken, remove skin, then take meat off bone and dice

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed

1 can whole kernel corn, drained

1 package taco seasoning

Flour tortillas or taco shells, which ever you prefer

Your favorite taco toppings: cheese, tomatoes, sour cream, lettuce, etc.

Mix the chicken with beans and corn. Stir in taco seasoning. Heat for 2 minutes in microwave. Serve on shells and top with your favorite taco toppings.

French dip sandwiches

- Deli sliced roast beef

- Beef consomme (enough to cover how ever much beef your family will need, we only need one can)

- Swiss cheese slices

- Sub rolls

:: heat the beef in the consomme on the stove, while preheating the oven

:: split the rolls, place on a cookie sheet, and add the heated beef and then top with the cheese (but not the consomme, save that for dipping)

:: toast to melt

Serve hot with a little dipping juice, raw veggie slices, chips, fruit, etc. and/or a side salad.

Bistro Chicken Pizza

Olive oil

¾ c. pizza sauce

1 6 oz. package of grilled chicken strips, cut into bite size pieces

2 roma tomatoes, chopped

1 3-4 oz. container of feta cheese, tomato and basil flavor

4 oz. mozzarella, grated

Fresh basil, chopped (or dried)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Brush pizza crust with olive oil. Spread pizza sauce over crust. Arrange chicken and tomatoes over sauce. Sprinkle both cheeses evenly over pizza. Sprinkly fresh basil over cheese. Bake 12-16 minutes, or until cheese is melted and crust is crisp.

Barbeque Chicken Pizza

½ c. barbeque sauce, divided

1 6 oz. package of grilled fajita strips, cut into bite size pieces

6 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled

8 oz. package of shredded Mexican cheese blend

Fresh cilantro, chopped

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spread ¼ c. barbeque sauce over crust. Combine remaining barbeque sauce with chicken, coating well. Spread chicken and bacon over crust. Top with cheese and cilantro. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Pesto Focaccia Sandwich

1 large deli-loaf focaccia or ciabatta bread

3.5 oz. prepared pesto (approximately ½ c.)

½ lb. thinly sliced Black Forest ham

½ lb. thinly sliced turkey breast

6 provolone cheese slices

½ small red onion, thinly sliced

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cut bread in half horizontally using a bread or other serrated knife. Spread pesto evenly over both cut sides. Layer ham and next 3 ingredients over bottom half. Top with remaining bread half. Wrap in aluminum foil. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until warm in middle. Cut and serve.

Fiesta Soup

1 can black beans (15 oz.)

1 can whole kernel corn (11 oz.)

1 can Rotel Original (10 oz.)

Fresh Cilantro, to taste

Ground Cumin, to taste

Stir together and simmer over med-low heat for 15 minutes.

Chicken Tacos

1 Rotisserie Chicken, remove skin, then take meat off bone and dice

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed

1 can whole kernel corn, drained

1 package taco seasoning

Flour tortillas or taco shells, which ever you prefer

Your favorite taco toppings: cheese, tomatoes, sour cream, lettuce, etc.

Mix the chicken with beans and corn. Stir in taco seasoning. Heat for 2 minutes in microwave. Serve on shells and top with your favorite taco toppings.

Oh my goodness you are making me HUNGRY!! :) So many nice recipes. :)

We eat Thai food about every night but this is so easy and quick:

Thai Red curry

It can be spicy if you add a lot of curry but we don't

In lg pan

1 can coconut milk

1/2 to 1 TBS of red curry I do about 1 tsp simmer for about 5 minutes

Then add 2 TBS of fish sauce and 2TBS of brown sugar

Then add meat and veggies(I add chicken and frozen chopped brocolli) cook until veggies and meat is done about another 5 minutes

Serve over rice.

I ate this in NM a while ago and it is delicious. Just scramble up some eggs, fry some bacon, then make the Green Chili Sauce to go on it -

Saute 1/2 onion (diced) and mushrooms (sliced). Add one can green chili enchilada sauce, add a spoonful of sour cream ( I just use a little bit, keeps more of the kick to the green chilies). Stir together and build breakfast tacos on corn tortillas.

This is another one I could eat every day and be very happy. Most of my kids like it as well. DH hasn't had it yet - but I've bragged about it a lot. He can't wait to get home and taste it.

On busy nights, I like to do an Italian Casserole. It takes about five minutes to put together, and then around an hour in the oven at 350.

Serves four.

Oil a covered casserole dish.

Put in one jar of pasta sauce and 1.5 cups water. Stir.

Add 12 oz. uncooked pasta (I usually use elbows or rigatoni)

Stir. Add anything else you want (usually I add some frozen spinach that I've thawed in some hot tap water and squeezed out and precooked meat pieces -- ham, beef, chicken, sausage, bacon -- they all work).

Sprinkle the top with shredded mozzarella cheese and black olives.

Bake.

Another quickie casserole is my Mexican Bean Dip. I mix a can each of Amy's Organic Refried Beans, unseasoned Refried Beans, and diced tomatoes, half a bottle of Ortega taco sauce, and about 1/2 cup of either sour cream or plain yogurt. Stir, cover with shredded cheddar, and bake until hot and bubbly. (If I want it in an hour, I do this at 325; if I want it faster, I turn it to 375)

Serve in individual bowls with spoons and tortilla chips for dipping. Lettuce, olives, etc., too, if you wish.

Edited by HeatherInWI

I made this last night:

saute an onion and fresh garlic in olive oil and a little salt.

Add a little chicken broth (I had leftover fresh!) - maybe a cup and a cup or two of tomato sauce.

Add whatever you have in the fridge/freezer. We added:

black beans

corn

spinach

peppers

rice

I served it with sour cream and cheese and a side of green beans. Everyone loved it!!

Ooh -- that sounds yummy and simple!

Both of these recipes are adapted from Rachael Ray, known for her 30 minute meals. They both take me a little longer than 30 mins, because I don’t chop as fast as she does. I also usually double or triple the spanakopita recipe and freeze the additional patties for a quick supper another night.

CHICKEN OR TURKEY SPANAKOPITA BURGERS WITH YOGURT SAUCE

1 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil

1 TBSP butter

2 cloves garlic, chopped

1/2 chopped red onion

10 oz frozen spinach, defrosted

1 tsp dried oregano, lightly crushed in the palm

1/4 lb feta cheese crumbles

1.3 lb ground chicken or ground turkey breast

1 TBSP grill seasoning (Montreal Salt-free Steak Seasoning)

YOGURT SAUCE:

1 small container of plain yogurt

1 - 3-inch piece of cucumber, peeled, trimmed, chopped

1 crushed clove garlic

1 tsp dried oregano

1 squirt lemon juice

salt and pepper

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. To one side, add a little extra-virgin olive oil and 1 TBSP butter. When butter melts, add the chopped garlic and chopped red onion and cook 5 minutes. Transfer the onions and garlic to a bowl to cool. Return pan to heat.

Wring the defrosted spinach dry by twisting it in a clean kitchen towel over the sink. Separate the spinach while adding it to the bowl with cooled onions, garlic, and season with 1 tsp of oregano. Add in feta crumbles, then chicken or turkey, grill seasoning, and a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil. Mix and form into 4 to 6 patties, 1-inch thick. Raise heat on pan to medium-high. Add patties and cook until done, about 6 minutes on each side.

Place yogurt, chopped cucumber, 1 crushed clove of garlic, 1 tsp oregano, and lemon juice in a food processor. Add a little salt and process the sauce until smooth. Transfer to a small dish and serve with the patties. These can also be served on a bun as burgers topped with lettuce, tomato, and sliced cucumber with the yogurt sauce.

CHICKEN WITH SUN-DRIED TOMATOES, FETA, AND SPINACH IN FILO CUPS

½ stick butter, melted

6 sheets filo pastry dough, thawed (found in freezer section)

Salt and pepper

2 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil

3-4 boneless chicken breasts, sliced into thin strips on an angle

3 cloves garlic, chopped

1 small yellow onion, sliced

½ c sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained (10-12 pieces, chopped)

16 oz chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry in a towel

8 oz feta cheese, crumbled

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Brush 12 (medium sized) muffin tin cups with butter. Brush one layer of filo dough with butter, top with second sheet of pastry and butter. Season with a little salt and pepper. Top with third sheet. Cut into 6 squares and arrange in muffin cups, allowing dough to crumple and spill out of tops of tins. Repeat with remaining 3 sheets of dough to fill 6 more muffin cups, for total of 12. Brush inside of pastry cups with remaining butter. Bake until golden, 4 – 6 mins. Cool.

Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat and add EVOO. When oil is hot, add chicken, garlic, and onions. Season with salt and pepper. Saute 5 minutes, until chicken pieces are cooked. Add sun-dried tomatoes and spinach, separating the lumps of spinach as you add it. Cook another 3 – 5 minutes. Add feta cheese. Place filo cups on serving platter, and fill with mounds of chicken mixture. (This looks so fancy and is so tasty I’ve served it to company.)

This sounds like a good meal. -- But there's no "pita" anywhere in this !! :) (and nobody serves yogurt sauce on spanakopita) Also, where is the dill ?? . . . Again, this sounds like a good recipe at base, and one that I shall have fun "tweaking". Thanks for posting it !

Both of these recipes are adapted from Rachael Ray, known for her 30 minute meals. They both take me a little longer than 30 mins, because I don’t chop as fast as she does. I also usually double or triple the spanakopita recipe and freeze the additional patties for a quick supper another night.

CHICKEN OR TURKEY SPANAKOPITA BURGERS WITH YOGURT SAUCE

1 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil

1 TBSP butter

2 cloves garlic, chopped

1/2 chopped red onion

10 oz frozen spinach, defrosted

1 tsp dried oregano, lightly crushed in the palm

1/4 lb feta cheese crumbles

1.3 lb ground chicken or ground turkey breast

1 TBSP grill seasoning (Montreal Salt-free Steak Seasoning)

YOGURT SAUCE:

1 small container of plain yogurt

1 - 3-inch piece of cucumber, peeled, trimmed, chopped

1 crushed clove garlic

1 tsp dried oregano

1 squirt lemon juice

salt and pepper

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. To one side, add a little extra-virgin olive oil and 1 TBSP butter. When butter melts, add the chopped garlic and chopped red onion and cook 5 minutes. Transfer the onions and garlic to a bowl to cool. Return pan to heat.

Wring the defrosted spinach dry by twisting it in a clean kitchen towel over the sink. Separate the spinach while adding it to the bowl with cooled onions, garlic, and season with 1 tsp of oregano. Add in feta crumbles, then chicken or turkey, grill seasoning, and a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil. Mix and form into 4 to 6 patties, 1-inch thick. Raise heat on pan to medium-high. Add patties and cook until done, about 6 minutes on each side.

Place yogurt, chopped cucumber, 1 crushed clove of garlic, 1 tsp oregano, and lemon juice in a food processor. Add a little salt and process the sauce until smooth. Transfer to a small dish and serve with the patties. These can also be served on a bun as burgers topped with lettuce, tomato, and sliced cucumber with the yogurt sauce.

CHICKEN WITH SUN-DRIED TOMATOES, FETA, AND SPINACH IN FILO CUPS

½ stick butter, melted

6 sheets filo pastry dough, thawed (found in freezer section)

Salt and pepper

2 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil

3-4 boneless chicken breasts, sliced into thin strips on an angle

3 cloves garlic, chopped

1 small yellow onion, sliced

½ c sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained (10-12 pieces, chopped)

16 oz chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry in a towel

8 oz feta cheese, crumbled

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Brush 12 (medium sized) muffin tin cups with butter. Brush one layer of filo dough with butter, top with second sheet of pastry and butter. Season with a little salt and pepper. Top with third sheet. Cut into 6 squares and arrange in muffin cups, allowing dough to crumple and spill out of tops of tins. Repeat with remaining 3 sheets of dough to fill 6 more muffin cups, for total of 12. Brush inside of pastry cups with remaining butter. Bake until golden, 4 – 6 mins. Cool.

Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat and add EVOO. When oil is hot, add chicken, garlic, and onions. Season with salt and pepper. Saute 5 minutes, until chicken pieces are cooked. Add sun-dried tomatoes and spinach, separating the lumps of spinach as you add it. Cook another 3 – 5 minutes. Add feta cheese. Place filo cups on serving platter, and fill with mounds of chicken mixture. (This looks so fancy and is so tasty I’ve served it to company.)

I keep a lot of this on hand for spur of the moment meals when we don't feel like cooking. Most people can pull something out of the fridge and pantry to come up with a suitable combination of favorite ingredients customized for each family.

We make a giant main bowl with a variety of favorite salad greens (fresh from the farm about now -- we are part of a great CSA and the lettuce is sooooo good right now!). Add to the salad greens some chopped up leftover cooked chicken (any kind works), some sliced sweet onion and chunks of roasted peppers.

On the side of the big bowl place smaller bowls with any version of the following: crumbled bleu cheese, shredded mozzarella cheese, craisins (or canned mandarin oranges, fresh blueberries or strawberries), whole or sliced almonds, and croutons. Set out several types of dressings.

This makes an amazing and healthy full meal salad. You could also put out some hearty bread or rolls and some cold lemonade.

Enjoy!

Blessings,

Lucinda