Menu

Losing a month of school - we'll live, right?

linders

We are slated to do a cross-country move in 2 weeks. I thought I was fine with the impacts to our homeschooling, and now I am...not. DH is already back there (has been for months) so he is not here to help with all the stuff that needs to get done to prep the house for sale, close out our life here, etc. He'll fly back to be here with the movers, then we get there and he will have to go straight back to work leaving me to unpack and settle in, immediately get some doctor/dental things set up, all that stuff. I figure a month lost, at least.

We started our "school year" early, at the beginning of last August. Both boys are well ahead of grade level. I have saved SM (our supplemental math) just so they could do some math without much attention. They both love reading, I can turn them loose with books. I got the Liberty's Kids videos (history, right?).

So why am I upset now that the time is here? Lots of you have dealt with new babies, moves, medical or family emergencies, etc., that curtailed your homeschool. You lived, even thrived. Please reassure me!

They really, truly are going to be just fine. A little math and a lot of reading is a lovely interlude. They are still reading, thinking, learning, and growing.

You started school early and they are ahead of grade level. Relax. Life happens. One month is absolutely NOT going to kill you--nor will six weeks if it stretches to that.

They will still be learning. They'll just be learning different stuff. Involve them in the process as much as possible.

I think what you may fear is that life descends into chaos and no learning occurs. A schedule is what I depend on. We always have school hours, even if those are reading books or helping mom with a task or watching a little nephew. And school hours are "not" certain things -- Nintendo or text messaging or skateboarding (well, unless he begs to use it as "phy ed" in early spring!). School hours help us "remember to learn something" even if it isn't grammar or history.

Just one approach,

Julie

Besides the fact that both your children are young (at least according to your signature).....keep in mind that public schools take chunks of time off as well.....2 weeks for "Winter Break"....2 weeks for "Spring break".....and 3 months for summer. And let's never forget the wasted time during the day when you have 30 kids in one room (ask any public school teacher how much pure learning happens in a typical day....according to my 30+ year teacher MIL an hour or two a day spread out in chunks of time is considered a good day in public school. At home we can do the same 2 hours in about 3 hours when you account for the bathroom breaks, the broken pencils, the daydreaming, etc. but usually better).

I have had many such episodes in our decade+ of homeschooling.....my DH was critically injured in a head on accident and we spent many months shuttling back and forth to a hospital over an hour away, and then I can't even begin to remember the amount of time 'lost' with his doctor and therapy appointments for more than a year afterwards. In between all that we did "school lite".....meaning that I kept up math and reading in a more formal sense (reading books in the car took my DHs mind off the pain of bumpy roads....and math was portable enough for the kids to do at the doctor's office, etc). The rest fell by the wayside. We've moved several times as well. We've also taken time off for extended vacations when opportunities arose....once for over a month.

But.....my kids are doing fine school wise. We don't use a typical school year, because we like to do lots and lots of field trips (some educational but just as many for fun)....so we don't take the summer off. We school year round and for a couple of years I did keep track of days and hours to calm my mind that we were at least keeping up with the public school hours. Now I don't feel that need because we were soooo far ahead of public school just in sit down hours, not even counting all the learning that happens around here in non-sit down times. For us, as with most homeschoolers, as you grow more comfortable with learning and your kids grow more eager and curious, learning becomes a way of life....not a set of hours that you "do" school. Learning never stops around here, it just sometimes isn't on our curriculum write up.

Now....all that's great to read and think about, but with kids that young I'm guessing you're feeling a bit inexperienced to "know" what I've learned through experience. So......keep this in mind....if all else fails and after the move and settling in time you feel that your kids have regressed in what they already knew.....then you will have an entire summer to bring them back up to speed (not to mention the next many many years). You will know within a few days, maybe a week, after restarting school whether the break mattered to your kids' ability to recall what they already knew or not. If they did, simply keep going with school time or start early next fall, or just do a few days here and there to keep them going.

Oh...and some people don't do well reading aloud in a car....engine noise, voice volume, even queasiness from reading in a moving vehicle.....if that's the case for your family, then consider using audio books during the drive across country (or even just while doing errands around town). It's remarkable how attentive even the most rambuncitious of my kids can be when a good engaging book is in the car stereo! A cookie sheet with magnet letters or pictures, or even just as a board for coloring helps keep fidgety kids able to do something with their hands while they listen. Playdoh can also be used, but if you have a messy kid, Playdoh in the carpet is not good. Don't ask me how I know!

Another thought came to mind....a lot of your anxiety about their school work could really be about the move, having to do so much of it yourself, leaving your friends and familiar places, etc. Is it possible that you're using their school as an outlet for all your worries????? Just something to mull over while you tape up boxes, lol. I tend to hyper focus on the kids and their learning when life starts going wacko on me, because it's easier to focus on and easier to fix than other life issues....so maybe I'm projecting onto your situation now too, lol.

Good luck with the move.......I love and dread moving all at the same time. I love the new adventure of a new town, but I dread the work and the sadness of leaving the old one behind. May you find more to love than dread!!

Edited by ConnieB

This fall will be the "anniversary" of six years of constant medical upheaval with my beloved, and we've set aside and picked up homeschooling more times than I've counted, done the 3 R's for months at a time, schooled at odd times and places, had local friends take over for a few days, etc. etc.

The key is to indeed pick it up again. Where people get derailed is where it just plan falls off the radar. I can't count how many stories I've heard of people who moved, had a medical emergency, a family crises, etc. who didn't do anything for months and months, and then indeed, the kids may fall behind, but in general, it's not as much an issue with young children as long as you keep them reading and do some math review, even if it's just games.

When mine were that age, they lived with relatives for two months and just tagged along with their homeschool and read library books, then we picked it up again a month after they came home, and they still did beautifully in their annual testing. We've had flu/colds for two weeks now and have done some school about 3/4 of the time, mostly just their reading assignments and read-alouds, but it keeps them in the habit and advancing in a light way. That's the type of thing you have to do. Just don't give it up for too long, and have a plan for picking it up again.

Due to a miscarriage, the loss of my grandfather and sequential viruses (fever-cold then stomach followed by more cold), we have taken most of the last month off. DD is dragging her feet about getting back in the swing of things, but that is really the only problem. She still remembers what we've been working on, etc. We started our school year early as well, so we will still be able to finish up by the end of May.

That's one of the beauties of homeschooling, that you can take off time when you need to.

Sounds like you all have enough going on without the added pressure of "perfect homeschool"!! It will be FINE!

Keep them reading - maybe encourage them to delve into different genres (nonfiction, historical fiction) Don't forget books on tape!

How about science programs on TV or video? Historical programs too.

Moving itself is a learning experience - all the things that go with a new place. Maybe they could do some geography by looking up your route on a map, doing research on the geography of where you'll be living (mountains, bodies of water, etc) --- there are a million things they can research - history of your new state, landmarks, calculating mileage, etc.....

Best wishes!!!

If you started your year early, how many weeks have you done? We started our year late, due to an intercontinental move. We are managing to fit in our normal 39 weeks, by taking shorter holidays and only taking a month in the summer.

Best wishes

Laura

Your children are only 8yo and 5yo -- if you only schooled 28-30 weeks instead of a "regular" 36-week school year, you'd still be way ahead of the game! So relax and focus on the move; maybe take time (if you can) as you go across country to take in some cool museums, natural wonders, a theme park, hike/make a leaf collection, etc. Make this time about making family memories!

Enjoy this time while you can! Warmest regards, Lori D.

I so totally agree with the previous posts. Last fall we started in mid Aug. and then the garden kicked in, fruit became available to put up and school got set on the back burner. I was so stressed about it all. I have a dear hs friend and she helped me see that just because we weren't setting at the school table with a book in front of us didn't mean the kids weren't learning. They were helping pick apples, wash, cut and process them. They helped pick tomatoes, wash and process them. The list goes on. During this time we talked about my mom and how she canned EVERY thing we ate as a veggie or fruit when I was a girl. They got to experience how much work it can all be and the pleasure of getting to eat some of it then and having it at our finger tips now.

Take every oppertunity you can to make them a part and teach them what it is all about.

I'm in the middle of a move myself. Dh has just left to start the new job, and I'm left to finish getting the house ready to sell (lots and lots of work!) Dd is almost done with K and ds is a toddler. We've started doing a lot of 1/2 days. We just keep going through all our subjects, and when we have completed the normal amount for each, we call it a completed school day, even if it took 2 actual days. It's frustrating b/c we aren't moving as fast as I would like, but at least we are still going!

Hope your move goes well!

We are slated to do a cross-country move in 2 weeks. I thought I was fine with the impacts to our homeschooling, and now I am...not. DH is already back there (has been for months) so he is not here to help with all the stuff that needs to get done to prep the house for sale, close out our life here, etc. He'll fly back to be here with the movers, then we get there and he will have to go straight back to work leaving me to unpack and settle in, immediately get some doctor/dental things set up, all that stuff. I figure a month lost, at least.

We started our "school year" early, at the beginning of last August. Both boys are well ahead of grade level. I have saved SM (our supplemental math) just so they could do some math without much attention. They both love reading, I can turn them loose with books. I got the Liberty's Kids videos (history, right?).

So why am I upset now that the time is here? Lots of you have dealt with new babies, moves, medical or family emergencies, etc., that curtailed your homeschool. You lived, even thrived. Please reassure me!

You've already received such good advice here, but I couldn't resist chiming in.

We basically "lost" 2 - 3 months moving (packing up, setting up, figuring out where the new grocery store was, LOL!). As an aside I'll mention that we used Peapod.com for our first week's groceries and scheduled the delivery for the day after we moved in -- that was helpful.

The kids did workbooks purchased from the local office supply store and we took field trips and enjoyed our new state.

Hindsight being 20/20, I'd say I wasn't as relaxed as I should have been. I was worried about having the right amount of school days and that the children would *forget* what they had learned. I'm thankful to God for a wise and supportive hubby who highlighted what was most important and guided us back on track. All this to say... relax... enjoy... be a tourist for a while and you'll be amazed at what your kids will learn.

Hope you have a great move!:seeya:

This is the wonderful thing about homeschooling.. you have the choice to stop or do light school to make this move.. and your kids will not be behind or ahead in their curriculum when you arrive because you can just pick up where you left off. We moved during the school year last year and once we started back up we just kept going till we were done.. and yes we did go into summer but we kept our schooling to those really super hot times of the day when no one wanted to be outdoors anyway. We traveled 6 days across country to get to where we are.. we stopped did some museums.. saw family, and other fun things. Your kids will learn as you are traveling :) They can read in the back of the vehicle.. if you have a dvd player in your vehicle they can watch libertys kids.. or magic school bus (history and science!) how about great books on cd? math.. how about having them do a number hunt find 1-100 (kinda like the alphabet game) on signs or cars or bldgs in order as you drive. stop at landmarks.. museums.. etc.. Your kids will get an wonderful education just doing those things..and have a wonderful memory of their move.

chistina

Remember all the time spent in testing prep and taking. SATs take up lots of time in our public schools here.

You were so smart about the math prep.

How about getting a couple of maps of new location? Just for them to look at and check out, NOT to add more work for you.

And netflix. Put only educational stuff in the queue and let them at it. I sometimes have back pain and there are days when we do only math and maybe spelling and then they can watch something educational , and they just play..

And a move across the country is a huge life change. I think they must be feeling upheaval too. I think take it easy and be as relaxed as possible during this time. When they look back on this move, they can have confidence that this kind of life change isn't the end of the world. That this is " no big deal" might be better from them than any specific facts they pick up during this 6 week period.

NOW: for the diclaimer, I have a 6 and an 8 year old, and I'd be freaking out too. So, I'm glad you wrote. I think in the " big picture" you and yours will be so fine.

Safe home.

Christine in AL

We had four months of non-traditional school with packing out of one house, spending time with family, moving overseas and settling in. I tried to keep recording what we did get done so my school calendar wasn't just a blank reproach, even if it was just a log of books read and educational movies watched.

I also try to remind myself that spending time with family, whether it is doing educational stuff like museums or just spending time is of value, especially since we are in the middle of a decade spent away from the US.

And I decided to just bit the bullet and really get settled in here, even though that took an extra week. Otherwise, I tend to not really do good school or get fully unpacked for an unbearably long period of time.

Moving a lot is part of the reason we decided to homeschool.

We're "good" at moving, but it's still not fun at all. It's stressful and well...did I mention not fun?

Don't add to your stress by adding school or guilt into the mix. You could let them count boxes! We had 39 book boxes last time.

Been there and done that too...

No need to worry.

My advice is get in and get settled-I always take a week to unpack.

But-I would explain to the kids the situation. That you are having a break to move and will then return to your studies. Remind them occasionally that this is the case. Mine tend to get in vacation mode and forget that we've still got work to do-made all the worse by summer.

We just moved overseas several months ago and we took off about 2 1/2 months. I was definately freaking out about it because I am a big time box checker. The reality is that everything was fine! We just picked everything up again where we had left off. So far, so good.

...and Mike's Lemonade have improved my perspective immensely!

Linders

Oh, I can tell that by your grammar!! he-he:D

But seriously, they (and you) will be fine. I've had four years now of interruptions and family emergencies, out of state company for weeks at a time in the middle of the school year, and they always "like a nice hot lunch":confused:.

Within the last 3 school years, both my parents have gotten cancer and died, I just lost my Mom a few weeks ago, and I'm slowly getting back on track (although I am still pretty scatter-brained at this point). There have been a couple of years when I've only gotten through about 1/3 of the math book and none of the science, for example. And my kids have even done fine on their Stanford Achievement Tests in spite of it!! Go figure. Boy was I happy with that news.

They will be fine!! And you will too!! Just pick up again when you can, even if you have to do it gradually.

Blessings,