Menu

Please tell me aout your favorite...

kidsnbooks8

ETC and All About Spelling are my suggestions.

I second these suggestions.

I tried OPGTR with my first son. We did not like the "blandness" of it. We didn't get very far with it and went to ETC and AAS. He really didn't need a phonics program to teach him to read. He taught himself at a young age and reads very well.

HOWEVER...I needed OPGTR with my second son. We were using SSRW and all of the "bling" was too distracting for him. He was "reading" the pictures and not the words. OPGTR has been exactly what he has needed. He also loves the ETC workbooks and I will start him on AAS some time next year...or even wait for 2nd grade.

I love the Orton Gillingham method. Lots of programs utilize it or present a version of it, but the idea of learning to spell, read and write at the same time is the core of it. All letter sounds of a particular letter are learned/taught at once, then words are learned (spelling/reading) by recognizing letter and letter team sounds (learned previously) and coding the words while you write them. For me, it really breaks it down and makes it visual for the kids in a very systematic way. It appeals to me personally, and thankfully, my kids are absorbing it very well.

If you have ample time and energy, the King of the method is The Writing Road to Reading by Romalda Spalding. But the book is not "open and go". Spell to Write and Read by Wanda Sanseri is probably the most popular and is a more elaborate, detailed version - this means it can work easier for *some* who need more detailed help in the implementation of the method, but for others, it can draw it out and make it a little overwhelming or confusing. The Phonics Road to Reading and Writing is another version that has a lot of hand-holding (watching videos, weekly lessons planned out), but great for someone who does not have the time or patience to read, plan and implement one of the other methods.

So for us, it's OG all the way. I don't know where each of your children are, but it can work for all ages. I do admit I had to wait a bit before requiring writing from my DS (almost 5) - he was just not ready 3 or 4 months ago, so we just did the sounds verbally or with letter tiles. But now he is beginning to tackle writing the letters too :) He actually does better with applying the letter sounds and decoding to words than my older DD does - she likes to rush and guess :) :) I think OG is perfect for both of them in that respect - it teaches my DD to slow down and HOW to truly sound it out, but is right in line with the way my DS obviously already thinks (systematically) so it's *easy* for him.

I own WRTR and love it (have read it twice) but Phonics Road actually got my butt in gear and off the "where do I start?" fence. I also have reviewed SWR and now that I have read WRTR and used PR, SWR makes much more sense to me - I just didn't have the time to sift through all of it when I needed to get started.

Our plan *today* is to finish level 1 of Phonics Road and then either go on to AAS or level 2 of PR. If AAS seems like it will fit when we finish PR lvl 1 I will use that since I already own it.

HTH a little :)

While we aren't using it strictly for learning to read, AAS has been good so far. We're using ABeCeDarian and it has introduced all the sounds well, though it's not super fun. ETC failed miserably for use (I tried it twice) because Ariel hates workbooks.

My kids were learning how to read before I heard about OPGTR.

My ds taught himself to read. My older dd did the first half of Hooked on Phonics and took off on her own. My younger dd didn't like HOP, but managed to make it about 1/4 of the way through. A few months after I put "teaching reading" on hold, her lightbulb came on and she was reading.

This year, we started using ETC for the girls (K and 1st). I wanted them to have "proper" instruction, even if they could already read pretty well. I thought they might fight me, but it's fast and painless enough to avoid argument, and I'm secure in knowing they're learning the rules.

We haven't really being doing formal LA for most of the year, but I pull out Spectrum LA once in a while. The kids enjoy it.

First Language Lessons arrived in my mailbox today, and I'm looking forward to starting that.

Jolly Phonics - a British program (though we use the American version) - and the readers that go with it, which teaches phonics (synthetic phonics), spelling rules and grammar - simple, thorough and fun

RightTrack Reading for a remedial student which is kind of like All About Spelling but in reverse - simple and thorough

The spelling programs published by Sopris West which teach the rules of American english spelling - professional, engaging and very thorough

Spelling Workout - basic spelling workbooks

Bob Books for beginning readers - cute, fun, easy to follow the level of the reader and what rules he has learned so far

Well, I can't say it's my "favorite" since it's the only one I've used, but we're satisfied with A Beka. The boys are doing well (they're finishing up the K5 program) and are making their way through the readers at an acceptable rate. Of course, they're boys, they'd rather be playing and learning to read is work, not exactly up their alley, so they don't jump for joy, although they both have had break throughs recently and were pretty excited to read some stories to Daddy.

We started out with pre-reading games from Montessori Read and Write. These taught dd how to distinguish all of the separate sounds in words. We moved on to spelling simple words with a movable alphabet and then to All About Spelling. This has been a big hit! I've also added in Happy Phonics and OPGTR to practice the reading aspect. We use a whiteboard for OPGTR. There is no way she could handle so many little words on one page!

ETA: DD is NOT a visual learner so spelling has been easier for her than reading. I've thus been focusing on AAS, and OPGTR is an "extra."

Edited by Lisa in the UP of MI

My favorite phonics program is a book called The Reading Lesson because it's direct, simple, inexpensive, and will get the job done without any complications. Kids read sentences as early as possible. The illustrations are sweet but not distracting. There's only one book, not a bunch of cards to bend or tiles to lose. I also like it because it only teaches reading through phonics. In the past I have preferred to get my kids reading then worry about everything else later.

I have used Abeka with my first two and I am currently using it with my son for kindergarten. It does not have bells and whistles like other programs and I am sure there are more exciting curriculum programs for phonics - but it is a solid program, incremental, the worksheets re-enforce what they are learning and the special sound cards are a great resource. My older two are reading above grade level and my youngest is doing great for where he is at with the program: my theory is "if it's not broke don't fix it.":tongue_smilie:

HTH

several. It's hard to pick a favorite as different things worked with different children.

With my mildly dyslexic son we started with Sing Spell Read and Write, but that fizzled very quickly and Reading Reflex worked wonders in a matter of months.

With my next son, Reading Reflex didn't work, but got us started, and from there we went to Tatras(Which we love) and one that I haven't seen many use, but we also loved it and it's similar to Alpha Phonics...the name of it is, Let's Read a Linguistic Approach. This book is amazing!

So I would have to say, in this order, these are my favorites...

Tatras (verticalphonics.com)

Let's Read, A Linguistic Approach (you can purchase at Amazon)

Reading Reflex (also at Amazon and most local libraries have it)

:)

Dee

For us, Sing, Spell, Read and Write has worked. It has worked for all of my different kids. We don't do it as written, tweaking to make it work for us. I find the spelling in grade 1 over the top, so we use them as reading lists. We supplement with Explode the Code.

We're in the 2nd K book with my 5 yo now.

Guest Dulcimeramy

All four of my sons learned to read with the McGuffey Readers and Speller.

They copy and learn a spelling list each week (beginning with "ba, be, bi, bo, bu, by") and study from the Eclectic Primer and Eclectic Pictorial Primer. We don't move on to the next lesson until they can both read and spell each word.

I use a workbook like this or this for reinforcement. I don't know if it does much, but all the boys enjoy it.

I've never had one single person take up this method because of me, but I always mention it because it really works. All of my boys have been proficient readers at very young ages.

Jolly Phonics - a British program (though we use the American version) - and the readers that go with it, which teaches phonics (synthetic phonics), spelling rules and grammar - simple, thorough and fun

RightTrack Reading for a remedial student which is kind of like All About Spelling but in reverse - simple and thorough

The spelling programs published by Sopris West which teach the rules of American english spelling - professional, engaging and very thorough

Spelling Workout - basic spelling workbooks

Bob Books for beginning readers - cute, fun, easy to follow the level of the reader and what rules he has learned so far

Not to highjack the post, but could you please tell me more about Jolly Phonics? I went through my phonic researching phase about 2 months ago and have pretty much settled on this program. It seems to be a good blend (for us, anyway) of solid phonics with a bit of color and fun for the little ones. I've liked what I've seen so far.

But I'm having a heck of a time finding people who have actually used it! ;) What can you tell me about it, and which resources would you recommend? Did you order from their main U.S. distributor in Wisconsin?

Sorry to pepper you with so many questions. I have a feeling that you and I might have similar outlooks on curricula, because I too am a big fan of both Bob Books and Spelling Workout.

ps - If it matters, I have an eager-to-learn 3.5 year old. We'll probably start phonics within the next 6 months or so, gently and at her pace.

Feel free to pm me if you'd rather. Thanks!! :)

Phonics Pathways has worked well here. It slowly and carefully builds confidence and fluency. The book is comparatively inexpensive, has games and review activities right there and ready to copy, and can do double duty as a spelling program/review when your child is ready. It is also very easy for me to teach from and can be adapted with minimum fuss.

My copy has been worth every penny and more.

I have used 20+ phonics programs.

The one I like the best is Webster's Speller because everything you learn directly translates into 2+ syllable words, when your children complete it, they should be able to read anything. Children taught to read and spell with this method used to not need beginning readers--they worked directly out of the KJV or Geneva Bible after completing the speller.

After that, I like PP and OPG. I like the way A Beka works on multi-syllable words and integrates their instruction, but it uses more sight words than I would like. It also has built in review for the upper grades, I like that, too.

Edit: The Speller can be used by all 3 of your children at once. You start them all off together, then as they diverge in where they are, you do a bit of the syllabary each day together and then work where they each are. But, because they are all using the same method, they can learn ahead and review behind by watching all the lessons. It was designed for use in one-room schools, so it is ideal for homeschool use.

Edited by ElizabethB

I used SSRW with all three of my children and just finished it for the last time about a month ago. With my younger two I supplemented some with ETC. I tried quite a few programs when my oldest was starting out (Phonics Pathways, Phonics Museum, Alpha-phonics to name a few). I resisted SSRW for a long time becuase it sounded too gimicky from the descriptions I read, but I had friends who raved about it and when I finally got my hands on it I was sold. It's what worked for us and it's one of the very few things I haven't changed with subsequent children. I did tweak some, to different degrees with different children, but it's very easy to adapt. I don't necessarily think it is the BEST program out there and you can definitely teach children to read for a lot less money, but it's what clicked with our family and I'm very glad we used it.

We start with Hooked on Phonics K, 1, and 2. Then, we transition to Master Readers. While in each grade level they are also using: ETC. K level would be ABC and so on. I also begin AAS to just keep reinforcing our rules and spelling. By 4th grade, my son was using SWR. It finally 'clicked' ;) and just seemed so much easier for him after acquiring more knowledge and basic understanding of sounds and rules.

So, a K level reading program in our house is: HOP K (yellow) level, ETC A,B,C,1; Grade 1: HOP 1st (orange/red) level, ETC: 2,3 AND some AAS; Grade 2: HOP 2nd (green/blue) level, ETC: 3,4,5, etc... AAS; Grade 3: HOP Master REaders, ETC: 6, and up, intro from AAS to SWR.

I have found that all of these work very well together. It keeps the boys from being bored with too much daily routine b/c they are moving from one method to the next. It just works well for our family!

HTH!

All four of my sons learned to read with the McGuffey Readers and Speller.

They copy and learn a spelling list each week (beginning with "ba, be, bi, bo, bu, by") and study from the Eclectic Primer and Eclectic Pictorial Primer. We don't move on to the next lesson until they can both read and spell each word.

I've never had one single person take up this method because of me, but I always mention it because it really works. All of my boys have been proficient readers at very young ages.

Webster's Speller teaches exactly the same way. McGuffey's Speller is a good Speller, too. The 1879 version of the readers is phonetic, the older version is sight word based, there was a period of whole word reading from 1826 to 1876.

I convinced a few people to do Webster's Speller after I posted a movie showing how it was done! (Linked from my Webster's link below.) It was a bridge too far for most people before that. I did have a few early adapters who tried it out pre-movie, however!

It is a very powerful method that works well.

Edited by ElizabethB

We used Sing, Spell, Read and Write at the Kindergarten level. Dd thought the reader books were "stupid" so I switched to Phonics Pathways and Pathway Readers (these are not related to each other at all).

I loved PP--clean, clutter-free pages, very easy and no pressure on the child (or mom).

It works for us, and it's the only curriculum I've not second guesssed. I may also be so committed because I had to work so hard to understand the program. But it is working for us.

The learning curve is steep for the teacher, but now I'm set as long as I teach them spelling.

Honestly , there are probably others that are just as good, but now that we understand the program, SWR is open and go for us. I'm also thinking that Classical Writing will make more sense to me because they suggest SWR.

Good luck.

~c.

I've used a million different programs and I finally found the one I think we will stick with. I really like McRuffy. The lessons are short and sweet. Just long enough for ds. All the programs like OPGTR, Reading Lesson, Reading Made Easy, 100 easy lessons etc my son would shut down. He would just see all those words on a page and get over whelmed. He would see the info that was written to me and think he was going to have to read it. Since McRuffy's Tm is separate from the Student workbook it woks much better. And it is colorful too. It has a variety of activities. He doesn't complain about it. We really like it. We also loved Alphabet Island level 1. We didn't like level 2. That was disappointing. Anyway I think we will stick with Mcruffy up through at least 1st maybe longer. We are also doing FLL and AAS as well. AAS new reader looks really good. I'm debating purchasing it.HTH

Not to highjack the post, but could you please tell me more about Jolly Phonics? I went through my phonic researching phase about 2 months ago and have pretty much settled on this program. It seems to be a good blend (for us, anyway) of solid phonics with a bit of color and fun for the little ones. I've liked what I've seen so far.

But I'm having a heck of a time finding people who have actually used it! ;) What can you tell me about it, and which resources would you recommend? Did you order from their main U.S. distributor in Wisconsin?

Sorry to pepper you with so many questions. I have a feeling that you and I might have similar outlooks on curricula, because I too am a big fan of both Bob Books and Spelling Workout.

ps - If it matters, I have an eager-to-learn 3.5 year old. We'll probably start phonics within the next 6 months or so, gently and at her pace.

Feel free to pm me if you'd rather. Thanks!! :)

sent the PM

I love the Orton Gillingham method. Lots of programs utilize it or present a version of it, but the idea of learning to spell, read and write at the same time is the core of it. All letter sounds of a particular letter are learned/taught at once, then words are learned (spelling/reading) by recognizing letter and letter team sounds (learned previously) and coding the words while you write them. For me, it really breaks it down and makes it visual for the kids in a very systematic way. It appeals to me personally, and thankfully, my kids are absorbing it very well.

:iagree:

We used 100 Easy Lessons for teaching reading, and both of my children learned to read as preschoolers with no problems. BUT... they couldn't spell, so we went to Sanseri's Spell to Write and Read and stayed with it for about four years. Now (5th) we don't really do spelling, except to address little problems as they crop up in their writing. And the cool thing is that since they know the phonograms and know the rules, we can always attack problem words using the methods we learned in SWR.

And for whatever it's worth, I had one natural speller and one who definitely wasn't. Both spell well now.

Best,

SBP