Menu

Recommendations for a puppy?

We are contemplating getting a puppy this summer and I need recommendations from all you dog lovers as to what breed you recommend.

We are a family of 4, dh likes large dogs... boys age 9 & 6, love ANY dog, and myself...I am leaning toward mid-size, non-shedding, loveable, easily-trained, adorable, and baby substitute (lap-size) dog. Did I mention non-shedding?

We had 2 black labs for 10+ years who grew old and passed away 1 year ago... we are all starting to think about a new dog...

We have almost 1 acre, half fenced in.

Do you know a breed that could be that perfect dog for us?

I'm partial to Schipperkes myself. They're not exactly shed-less, but they really only shed a couple of times a year, and after a good undercoat grooming, they're good to go. They don't usually get that 'doggy' smell, either, which is a major plus for me. They're great with kids, very protective, and LOVE to be lap dogs. They can be stubborn to train but love to please and play, so if you use good incentives, they are a lot of fun. They run about 25 pounds and are about the size of a Sheltie but are a little lower to the ground. Probably not the perfect dog, but I wanted to bump this up and throw it out there.

Standard Poodles. If you keep them in a puppy cut most people do not even know the breed so the men;) do not tend to have a problem with them. Limited shedding from them as their hair collects a lot of their shed hair.

Activity would be good for your children and size yard.

Really, you need to evaluate more than just size though for a family companion. When you say easily trained you have to take into consideration how easy your family is to train. Will you all be exercising the dog properly? Training the dog consistently and always? Etc.

No dog really should be a baby substitue as they are not human but you can still share a wonderful relationship with any size dog and I recommend trying for that more than trying for a baby substitute.

Also, you could find many mix breeds and shelter dogs with the qualifications that you are looking for so I would recommend as a family you sit down together and expand your want lists.

Decide: activity level

narrow your size down a little. Say hubby wants a larger size but you want a toy: maybe pick a nice medium size then.

sex of the dog

as for easily trainable, agaIN a lot of this will go back to how much your family will do regurly for the dog. Exercise outside the fence every day as well as inside the fence. a tired dog will not get into as much trouble as an unexercised dog or one who needs more.

Good luck and have fun.

we have a deposit down on a labradoodle. This particular litter is from a labradoodle mom,=standard poodle + labrador retriever bred with a standard poodle, so we are getting more standard poodle and probably more non-shedding, not so allergy prone coat. We have researched and debated several breeds decided that labradoodle has some great pluses from two great breeds. I've met a few standard poodles, and I was impressed with how smart they were, and how quiet, they were kind of like people. Labs are of course super friendly.

we are a non dog family, this is a huge change for us. I am super excited, and also nervous.

good luck on your search.

Really, a Standard Poodle would be ideal and the only dog that fits your criteria. You really limit yourself with the "no shedding" requirement. All dogs shed. Only a very few shed so continuously that they don't have a big shed off at specific times of the year. The only other one I can think of would be a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier. Nice dogs, but I'm not sure how "trainable" they would be compared to say, a lab. If you ask me, a labradoodle would be great too, but paying a lot of money for one is not worth it and your not guarantees the not shed thing. You can never go wrong with another lab or a golden, flat coated retriever, boxer....all great family dogs. Good luck.

Edited by katemary63

Labradoodles are non-shedding if you get one which is multi-generational and bred for a non-shed fur. A first generation labradoodle may have labrador fur, or poodle fur, or some combination, so is not guaranteed non-shedding. Ours is very sweet and is training up nicely - the star of her obedience class. She needs brushing twice a week, but otherwise she's very easy. Her head barely reaches my knees.

Laura

Another vote for the Labradoodle or Poodle. Some Labradoodles/Goldendoodles do shed, but it's usually MUCH less than a pure-bred Lab or Golden. I only notice shedding with my Labradoodle when her hair is really grown out, and then I whisk her off to the groomers and don't notice any shedding again for about six months or so. She does require grooming about twice per year. I believe poodles require grooming somewhat more frequently, but you'd pretty much have a no-shed guarantee, which might be worth it to you.

Does it have to be a puppy, or are you open to an older rescue? There are many poodles and poodle mixes in shelters. We got our dog as a rescue at 1 year; she was young enough to be playful, but old enough to be housetrained, through the worst of the puppy chewing, and ready for obedience training. And she's so smart that training was a breeze! Wish teaching my kids was half as easy ;).

Good luck with your search!

SBP

Another vote for a rescue labradoodle! Ours is *fantastic*! Some rescues will be able to tell you why the dog is in a foster situation and that can help you decide if it's the right fit for your family.

I've even seen some re-home situations on Craigslist. One we looked into the mom was preg with her 5th child and just couldn't keep up with the dog, too. (Check those out thoroughly, though.)

And it's so nice having a dog who doesn't nip, bite and chew!:001_smile:

I'm partial to Schipperkes myself. They're not exactly shed-less, but they really only shed a couple of times a year, and after a good undercoat grooming, they're good to go. They don't usually get that 'doggy' smell, either, which is a major plus for me. They're great with kids, very protective, and LOVE to be lap dogs. They can be stubborn to train but love to please and play, so if you use good incentives, they are a lot of fun. They run about 25 pounds and are about the size of a Sheltie but are a little lower to the ground. Probably not the perfect dog, but I wanted to bump this up and throw it out there.

Ours definitely did shed big-time. She was very cute, but didn't like our son. We hardly ever met anyone who knew what kind of dog she was!

Michelle T

I maybe can be more lenient about shedding, but I must remember... 2 Black Labradors with a white kitchen floor... Needless to say, I was vacuuming at least everyday and had crawling babies... Now that the kids are older, maybe that criteria is more flexible.

Terriers don't shed as much, but I understand that they may be less kid-friendly.

If you didn't mind the shedding so much, I'd suggest a German Shepherd. They are the sweetest dogs. They're extremely loyal and protective, and excellent with kids.

Since you're looking for a medium-sized dog that doesn't shed, what about a Boxer? All of the Boxers I've known have been extremely sweet dogs.

Since you're looking for a medium-sized dog that doesn't shed, what about a Boxer? All of the Boxers I've known have been extremely sweet dogs.

Ackkkk! Boxers shed like crazy! All dogs shed except a very, very few breeds. And they shed too, they just shed a little all the time , not a lot all at once. I agree with Boxers though, they are awesome! But they DO shed.

German Shephers are great IF you get them from the right kind of breeder. A back yard breeder is a no no for these kinds of dogs because there are lines that are intentionally bred for agression and dominance. Do you homework if you get ANY type of guard dog.

Well, one of our beloved Golden Retrievers just passed away. We still have one. We also just got 2 new puppies that I researched heavily. My DH wanted something smaller that could go for rides in the car and sit on a lap. They had to be gentle with children and get along with people and animals alike. We chose 2 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. They don't require a lot of grooming and are very intelligent. I have pictures of "Luke" and "Leia" on my blog if you're interested.

I love dogs so much, it's rare to meet one of any persuasion that I don't immediately like!

Another poodle vote. They can have a very non frou-frou haircut, which is nice. We've always had poodles because of the non-shedding, non-allergenic factor and they are an awesome breed. Very smart, very playful (but happy to flop down and take a nap when you're finished playing), not big chewers, not overly hyper. Awesome dogs.

We've always had toy poodles, but I'm really looking into getting a standard next time...

Here are some pictures of some without the crazy haircuts that freak people away from the breed. lol

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/standardpoodle.htm

http://www.cournoyeaspoodles.com/standardpoodles.htm

http://www.ben-chers-poodles.com/

I'd vote a Wheaten Terrier, if you're willing to train...low to no shedding (they have hair, not "fur") and the one I stuffed my face in...was cotton ball soft! Trainings the key....but they aren't small enough to be little dogs. Noting your children's ages...I wouldn't want little bitty size.... Our dog has lived, because he's big enough..(about 65 lbs)

I would never pay to have a dog who is mixed...opens up a whole new set of problems...a Lagotto is a nice looking dog, similar to a Portuguese Water dog....if you are paying $$$ :-)

Carrie

I've just got to mention our little Yorkie-Poo - Yorkshire/Poodle, LOL

I see virtually no shedding - she gets brushed only once in a while! As far as training, I'll take blame for that:D It was not good timing to get a puppy in our home when we did; it was a purchase on impulse after only a few discussions on dog criteria - totally out of character for us, but we did it. And we survived!

Anyway, good luck!

Guest janainaz

We have two shih-poos (Shih-tzu/poodle mix) They are non-shedding, great family dogs. Our female is more poodle and our male is more shih-tzu. They are both really smart dogs, great with kids, affectionate, but not annoying. Our female does bark when people come to our door. She is protective, but sweet. The male is just so easy-tempered and they both get along fine with our cat. Great dogs - highly recommend. I've got pictures on my profile of them.

We have a labradoodle. She is a second generation, but she does shed a little. Even though it's a little, it's enough to leave a coating on my furniture a day after I've dusted, and fur balls gather along the baseboards :001_huh:

But, she's incredibly sweet. We just love her. Health-wise, I'm not sure if it's her breed or not, but she's been coughing for a year and we can't figure out why (not kennel cough or valley fever...)

They're great dogs, but really screen and do your research before choosing *the* right one. Labradoodles are not all created equal. We got ours through abracadoodle dot com so we really took a gamble not meeting her first.

Christa

I'm going to say that I would take shedding any day over muddy poodle-paws. There is something about that coat that just seems really hard to clean, and my mother, who has one, agrees. When my Belgian Sheepdog comes in, he rolls over and I wipe his feet. It takes about 20 seconds, and all the moisture just seems to wick right out. When my Mom's Poodle Mix comes in, it's so so so much more work, and with recent rain, we really feel it.

Other than that, though, I think a standard poodle fits the bill. They are lovely, intelligent dogs.

I am hoping for an inside dog... my dh and I are starting to remember those puppy days of housebreaking (about 12 years ago)... and the lack of sleep ... and now the expense in these uncertain times...

I am getting cold feet... I need that dog to warm my feet too:001_smile:.

On one hand I don't want to deprive us of the joy of having a dog. Our 2 labs were wonderful dogs, although they had trouble adjusting to not being "top dogs" once the kids came along...

On the other hand, dogs are quite expensive in our experience... especially if they have any health problems (we had a lab with a seizure disorder from age 6mos to old age).

I need to carefully consider this big step...

Guest Marthakedro

Here are a few things if you really consider a Labradoodle. We had the same requirements you have. We paid a hefty sum (by our standards) to get this breed 3 years ago. We love her but she has horrible allergies (she needs special food and meds) and she still sheds some so we have her shaved 2x a yr. As someone else mentioned previously, there are different levels of Labradoodles. The first level will be like ours - no guarantees it won't shed it just depends on how many traits are carried over from the poodle side. The second level are when a labradoodle is bred with another poodle. They are even more expensive but then you get a lot of the better poodle qualities. Ruby is extremely intelligent (don't ask my dh) and friendly. Also, just as there are different poodle sizes - you can get smaller labradoodles too. We found a reputable breeder outside of Wichita. You already know this since you've had dogs before but there really aren't any guarantees if you get a puppy. My sis got a small poodle but he gets nervous easy and pees all over. I'll take a little shedding over that any day.

We love our Irish Wheaten Terrier. She's non-shedding, hypoallergenic, great with kids and loves to lay with her head and paws on my lap. She is active when we are active but calm when we are. She is definitely a people dog so loves to be with people and follows us around the house.

She's mid-size, hits me about mid-shin and is the softest coated dog I've ever touched.

We just got 2 labradoodles a couple of months ago. They have been a blast! They are F3 which from what I understand you need before they are more non shedding. They are brother and sister but one is almost double the size of the other. The largest is blond, the boy and totally fun. The smallest is black, the girl and very girly. She would twirl around in a frilly dance move if she could unless she is upset with her brother and then watch out. She can flip him on his back so fast that it makes your head spin.

We totally love them.

We have also had Schnauzers and they were just as personable.

Non shedding dogs are great, but remember the dog will need to be clipped a few times a year. Personally we own a Corgi and she is a wonderful dog. Big dog atitude in a small (25 lbs when full grown) size. Corgies are quick to learn and ours is not afraid of anything. She is very outgoing (she will be doing therapy work soon) Corgies do shed but I have found if I brush my dog weekly shedding is light. Good luck with your search.

Karen

Thank you for all the helpful suggestions... I had never even heard of a Labradoodle! So I am glad I asked the Hive...

Just one more thing about the labradoodles. The lady that we bought ours from told me that they need to be groomed twice a year max. Now that doesn't include shampooing then they go play in the muddy flower garden.(Picture that on an almost white, happy, hoppy puppie) So far I can not see where their coat has grown in length.

We got ours very inexpensively for labradoodles also. If you want the gals name and # pm me.