Menu

House Hunting I've got no experience... what did you look for?

How did you get started looking for your first house? What were the make or break things you were looking for?

I know every will have different wants and needs, but I'm wondering if there are some things that I'm missing. I don't even know the budget at this point--we'll probably need help from parents for a down payment, but our current rent is $2300 a month. Here is our current wants/needs list:

Needs

Single family home

2000+ square feet

4 bedrooms (3 bedrooms + office)

Living room + Family room (School room)

Large enough yard for children to play

Adequate storage

Central Air/ Heat

Within 5 miles of church

Cooking-friendly kitchen

Wants

Pool (if in good condition)

Wood floors

“Quirkyâ€

Trees

Established neighborhood

Within 2 miles of church

Abundant built – in storage

5 bedrooms (4 bedrooms + office)

3 bathrooms

Sprinkler system/easy to maintain yard

Close to outdoor recreational options (parks, trails, etc)

Family-friendly neighborhood

Single-Story / Ranch style

Don’t Wants

“Cookie-cutterâ€

Open floor plan

Veto

Major repairs

Pool in poor condition

If we can't find what we want, we'll end up having to rent again.

Enough space for your dining table.

You wouldn't believe the number of houses we have looked at that wouldn't fit ours. Mind you, we have a lot of people to seat, but, these places wouldn't even have fit our smaller table that seats 6.

We've been hung up on that and adequately sized living room. We host Bible study weekly so we don't want to skimp there.

And the split bedroom floorplans. I have a 10 month old who presently sleeps with me but will soon go to his own bed/shared room. I don't like the idea of him being upstairs when I am downstairs.

Well, your list looks good to me - practical and well thought-out. I have house-hunted three times as a married adult, and each time have had a different want list. And now, if we ever buy house number 4, I have additional wants. It seems the older my kids get, the more rooms and bathrooms I want. :D

Did you decide if you wanted rural or city or which part of town? Just curious? Because w/ some of those specs. it hits certain areas and others now. Like there are quite a lot of subdivisions that are newer, but it doesnt sound like you want that, so you might have to look at older neighborhoods. Or rural gets you more bang for your buck and w/all the freeways it is still easy to get to city.

It seems like you know what you want design wise, which is good.

We've purchased 3 houses now, and the biggest peice of advice I can give is not to skimp on the home inspection. The second house we purchased we weren't there for the home inspection and the inspector missed tons of stuff, which we had to fix before we could sell it a few years later. Just make sure the house doesn't "look" shinny but is falling apart underneath. Good luck!

One of my major wants is 2.5 bathrooms (minimum). If guests drop in, I don't want to have to run and check to see if there's toothpaste all over the bathroom!

Another important factor- electric outlets. There just aren't enough in my kitchen to keep my happy.

Screens. Can you believe we never noticed the missing screens in several windows and one sliding glass door? That's obviously not a make or break thing, but be sure to check for them!

I'd also pay attention to how sound carries. I can hear my ds typing in his bedroom (below my bedroom).

And the spin cycle shakes my whole house. I'll drag my 4 kids to houses and have them run around whenever we start looking.;)

Make sure your realtor is not going to show you a few properties and make you choose one. Keep looking until you find what you are looking for. One thing dh and I did was decide on an area, went through MLS picked all the houses that looked interesting and had the realtor get us the addresses then we drove around and eliminated all we had no interest in due to location, garages location (facing each other), to much work needed etc. Don't waste time going into houses that you know you have interest in. Speak up and know what you want and like someone already said do not compromise location. Not everyone feels this way but I don't play the back and forth contract game it really just wastes my time and caused us to loose other houses of interest. We Make one reasonable offer, pending inspections to our satisfaction and give 12-18 hr response time then we move on.

I just find out where my dh will be looking and buy the closest house we can. If I have any option then it is the one closest to a recreation center.

My dh applied for a new job. :) I first looked at housing in the area. There is one house that is 1.3 km from the office, 1.2 from a recreation center with a pool and a skating rink, AND 1.1 away from a church with a very active home school group. Personally I don't care about the house. :001_smile:

This way my dh can bike to work. This keeps his weight off and ensures we don't need a second car. Sometimes winter can be difficult.

Our kids are also able to be active and have control over the neighbourhood. My ds 4 likes the fact he knows how to bike to the pool, library, restaurants, grocery store...

I could never not care about the house, wow, I've lived in a house that I hated. To me, location is important, but the house has a lot to do with things too. Thankfully we found a house that we loved and the location was awesome.

When you go out to look at a lot of homes, the details all run together, and it's difficult to remember the things that are important to you.

I made a fill-in-the-blank form. I put the address on top. At the time, I was on crutches for a chronic problem, so I counted the stairs, and made a note if the laundry room was on the main floor. I made a space to record general impressions about things like curb appeal or living room space or kitchen cupboard space. If there was anything that was important to me, or any work that I felt would have to be done on the house, I made sure I had a place to make a note of it on my form.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Make sure your realtor is not going to show you a few properties and make you choose one. Keep looking until you find what you are looking for. One thing dh and I did was decide on an area, went through MLS picked all the houses that looked interesting and had the realtor get us the addresses then we drove around and eliminated all we had no interest in due to location, garages location (facing each other), to much work needed etc. Don't waste time going into houses that you know you have interest in. Speak up and know what you want and like

Good advice. I would add to not even set foot in a house beyond your set price range. Tell your realtor no means no because I think 9 times out of 10, they'll try.

I don't know what property taxes are like in CA but in TX they're high (they make up for the lack of state income tax here). So, the price of the house was less important to me than the monthly payment, which includes property tax and insurance in escrow. I didn't shop by home price. I shopped by monthly payment. We're living comfortably beneath our means, something I'm so grateful for.

If they'll let you, take a camera to help refresh your memory when you've looked at 10 houses and one blends into the other in your stressed out mind.

Your list is good. Beyond the list, hopefully you'll just know when you've found the right one for you.

On a more practical note, I would look for air flow. I like my windows open on all beautiful days and darned if I didn't buy a house with horrible air flow in the living area. I seriously am peeved on a regular basis by this seemingly unimportant little detail. If you like fresh air, make sure you can open windows and/or doors on both sides of your living areas to get good flow.

Also, when you think you've made a final decision on a house, do go by it at several different times of day to see what it's like. Also, we met two of our neighbors when we were looking and basically interrogated them about what the neighborhood was like (nicely, of course).

Have fun and take as much time as you need and can afford!

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Location, Location, Location is all that matters. You can change the house to suit your needs/taste but you can't change the location. You want to buy the ugliest house in the nicest neighborhood you can afford, not the nicest house is a so-so neighborhood.

Edited by 4kiddies

You've gotten a lot of good replies & ideas.

One thing I learned after buying our house -- make sure your vehicles will fit into the garage! LOL. (Ours do, but we apparently have the narrowest garage doors ever manufactured & it is a close squeeze getting in -- could definitely be a consideration if you have a large vehicle.)

If you find a serious contender, if possible, I would visit the house/neighborhood at different times of day & night, just to see what it is like at various times (traffic, streetlights, people, noise/congestion levels, ...). Also, being on a flight path or near train tracks would probably drive me nutty (the noise). Etc....

I know that the house will be very important to us. My dh is home all day, I'm home abou half the work week, and the kids are homeschooled--we spend so much time in and around our house that moving to a our current home was such a breath of fresh air! After six years in a bad-fit townhouse, to finally have enough space and a yard... it made all the difference in our everyday lives.

I do want a house that is the way we want it (mostly) now. I mean, I can see us painting or changing minor fixtures--but we are definately not do-it-yourselfers. No handymen (or women) around here. There are no major redesign plans in our future. It just doesn't make sense, really... we'll never live someplace more than 10 years or so until after I retire--so that's... um... 30 years from now? Small changes, maybe, but nothing that will cause us to go into debt (more than just the house).

I'm reading and noting all your responses. I feel like I'm in way over my head, so your good advice is super welcome!

I haven't read all the replys but we are looking for a house right now, and one of the must have's for us is a cul de sac. Currently we live on a through street, and I will feel much better about the kids playing in front with limited traffic to deal with. Happy hunting!

Most important advice: Don't become so enamored with certain facets of the house/ property that you don't SEE other things that are negatives. This has happened to us. Keep your eyes wide open and your rose colored glasses off. We actually bought property that is right next to a very unattractive old chicken house and a junky yard. It is an eyesore. Would you believe upon first touring our farm with our realtor ( several times!) - we NEVER even saw the chicken house? Didn't even know it was there until our first visit AFTER closing. Wierd. We were like, "Where'd THAT come from?" We probably would have purchased the farm anyway and we do love it here, but I wonder?? We should have been more observant since this is our 4th home purchase - we should have known better.

Also, go past the house in a downpour. See how the water drains and flows. Believe it or not, we ended up owning 3 homes that have flooded driveways in the rain. Not too big a deal, but really anoying! I think we have learned THIS time. We will certainly check out the drainage if we ever buy again.

I don't want to sound repetitive but location and the stability of the area in regards to crime control are most important when it comes to resale and quality of life value.

Generally speaking I would say if the community is iffy take the time to survey the area for rental properties and if you find a high percentage see if you can find other possibilities. I have been a renter myself and have nothing against people who rent but the reality is that owners have a long term interest in the community and you are more likely to find a good neighborhood if you consider these factors.

Your list sounds very well thought out. I would 2nd the thoughts on having a good traffic pattern and a doorway with a space to put all your stuff. I personally have caught myself fantasizing about having a mudroom (sad but true).

I'm so happy for you! Have a great time searching for your new home, Mary:)

A front closet (where you can hang coats and such).

Check out the neighborhood -- not just to determine if it's "established", but for KIDS. Don't just look for "kid signs", i.e. basketball hoops and playsets, but come back a couple of times throughout the day and see if you SEE any kids.

I would be terribly specific about your kitchen as it's, at least in our home, the "heart". We moved in here saying we would remodel our kitchen VERY 1st THING, and it's now 4 years later and I'm looking at needing to wait to re-do it another 5.

I want the family herd, muddy shoes and all, NOT to have to enter through the front door. I dream this dream, and someday I shall have it!

Amen!!!

...will your family's main entrance be through the garage? Where does that connect to the house? One house we looked at, the garage connected at the front of the house, everday traffic was routed through the living room. Hauling groceries in, would have to go *through* the living room. Not my ideal.

The places I prefer route through the kitchen or even the laundry room.

I saw you do not like an open floor plan, but personally, I like the kitchen to be open to some sort of family gathering space. I find that I enjoy meal preparation more and get more mealtime help when I am connected to another activity area.

Yes, but make mine a hearth room, not the great room. I don't just peel back and reheat for guests, I COOK, and I hate the idea of everyone staring at all my chaos and grubby pans for the duration of the evening.

For us, our budget has always determined our wishlist. With our first house, I think the extent of it was "2 bedrooms and not completely falling apart." As our budget has gone up, so have our needs/wants. But we've always chosen a good neighborhood and "good bones" over convenience/proximity to stuff we do. Which means we tend to drive a lot. But the house we just bought is a house we can raise our kids in comfortably. We didn't have a long list, just a minimum bed/bath # and sq. ft. amount.