Menu

What's going in your garden this year?

I seeded my garden for the first time this year instead of buying transplants. I don't know what happened, but hardly anything sprouted, and what did sprout was carried away by the birds. :glare: And between my two dogs and the slugs that are taking over my backyard, my strawberries are toast.

Next month I will do some lettuce transplants and probably a couple other veggies. Have fun choosing!!! Hopefully your garden will do better than mine. :D

Some of everything.

Tomatoes

Brandywine -2 colors - heirloom

Cherokee Purple -heirloom

Arkansas Traveler - heirloom

Sungold - a yellow cherry

Orange Fleshed Purple Smudge (a new one, love the way this one looks!)

Mountain Pride - market type

Marion - market type

Other faves include Silvery Fir, Elberta Girl (sp), Green Grape

-Peppers - bell, hungarian, jalapeno and banana. We had a banner year w/peppers last year.

-Potatoes - lots and lots of kinds

-Sweet potatoes (again a banner year - we are still eating them!)

-Onions, maybe leeks

-Greens, some of which are out now - lettuce, tyfon greens, corn mache, fun jen (I LOVE this one), rose orach, spinach, purslane, claytonia, kale

-Carrots - various but we never get good yields, we do have baby carrots now that are surviving though

-Corn- Silver queen & something bantam?, not my favorite and it never does well, my dh just can't bear not to...

-Cabbage - every type my dh can find seeds for, lol

-Melons - many types, 1-2 plants of each. 3 years ago before the drought we got SO many of these and they were all great

-Misc bits - chard, eggplant, herbs, radishes, beets, peas, lots of cukes (I like the yellow round ones best), other weird stuff for the chickens

-No squash/pumpkins - we have squash borers :glare:

-Probably no green beans - mexican bean beetles (however Masai is by far and away the best producer/best tasting we ever have)

-No broccoli/cauliflower - I can get organic brocc cheap and no need for me to get the wigglies out... lol

-No celery, brussel sprouts or runner beans - yuck!

hth,

Georgia

Sweet corn. So good when picked and eaten right away. I miss this when the season is over.

Garlic. Very easy to do. I plant in the fall and then water and wait. Much better than what's in the store, if you use it in cooking.

Sugar snap peas. Great for stir fries, salads, or for the kids to munch on.

Zucchini. I tried it last year and one plant was plenty for the whole family. Sauteed with olive oil and garlic - I could eat it every day.

Erica in OR

Mostly the same old things with a few new items I'd like to try.

Usuals: Corn, Tomatoes, Bell peppers, Green beans, Yellow squash, Zucchini squash, Eggplant, herbs.

Probably won't bother planting: Butternut squash, Jalapeno's

New things I'd like to try: Garlic, Onions, Shallots, Sweet potatoes, Peas/Snap peas, Kale or Collards, Lettuce, Strawberries, Blackberries (if I can find a good place where Dh won't be ripped to shreds mowing around them ;) )

for soil amending. We are planting:

Tomatoes: several varieties - all heirloom

Okra: 2 varieties - heirlooms

Green Beans: 1 variety - heirloom [sensing a theme here? :lol:]

Peppers: 3 (?) varieties - heirlooms

Corn: 1 variety - can you guess?

Potatoes: um, I forget (and I did the ordering:001_rolleyes:), 2 varieties? - heirloom

Broccoli: 1 variety - heirloom

Something else we've already begun in planters. <sigh, I forget and don't care to go downstairs to look at the seedlings>

Ah, yes, squash, cukes, and onions. Thanks, Karen in CO, your list jogged my memory.

We've already started a couple varieties of tomatoes, broccoli, and the unremembered as seedlings and are awaiting the "official" last frost to put them in the ground. We've already sown spinach and English peas.

Also, we're on year 2 of our asparagus patch, grapevines, blackberry and blueberry vines. Then we have, erm, 10 fruit trees.

Have fun choosing fruit and veg for your garden!!

Edited by brehon
synapses engaged...

I copied this from my blog describing what I am doing for my garden this year. Hopefully it is not too long for you....

I am especially excited to get started on my flower and vegetable gardens this year. I have my greenhouse set up and have my cold weather veggies started. My wonderful DH cut down an old tree and is clearing the land for my garden plot.

I am going to try planting a companion garden this year. I discovered this concept while researching different gardening methods. It utilizes a common sense approach to gardening using natural methods to enhance flavors, offer pest protection and produce a higher yield and growth.

Many plants have natural substances in their roots, flowers, leaves etc. that can alternately repel (anti-feedents) and/or attract insects depending on your needs. In some situations they can also help enhance the growth rate and flavor of other varieties. Experience shows us that using companion planting through out the landscape is an important part of integrated pest management. In essence companion planting helps bring a balanced eco-system to your landscape, allowing nature to do its' job. Nature integrates a diversity of plants, animals, and other organisms into every ecosystem so there is no waste. The death of one organism can create food for another, meaning symbiotic relationships all around.

By using companion planting, many gardeners can discourage harmful pests without losing the beneficial allies. Below is some basic information about what plants grow best together and what benefits they may have.

Plant Companion(s) and Effects

Asparagus, Tomatoes, parsley, basil

Basil, Tomatoes (improves growth & flavor); said to dislike rue; repels flies & mosquitoes

Beans ,Potatoes, carrots, cucumbers, cauliflower, cabbage, summer savory, most other veggies & herbs

Bean ,(bush) Sunflowers ,(beans like partial shade, unless you live up north, sunflowers attract birds & bees for pollination), cucumbers (combination of heavy and light feeders), potatoes, corn, celery, summer savory

Bee Balm, Tomatoes (improves growth & flavor).

Beets, Onions, kohlrabi

Borage ,Tomatoes (attracts bees, deters tomato worm, improves growth & flavor), squash, strawberries

Cabbage Family (broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, kohlrabi) Potatoes, celery, dill, chamomile, sage, thyme, mint, pennyroyal, rosemary, lavender, beets, onions; aromatic plants deter cabbage worms

Caraway, Loosens soil; plant here and there

Carrots, Peas, lettuce, chives, onions, leeks, rosemary, sage, tomatoes

Catnip, Plant in borders; protects against flea beetles

Celery, Leeks, tomatoes, bush beans, cauliflower, cabbage

Chamomile, Cabbage, onions

Chervil ,Radishes (improves growth & flavor).

Chives, Carrots; plant around base of fruit trees to discourage insects from climbing trunk

Corn ,Potatoes, peas, beans, cucumbers, pumpkin, squash

Cucumber, Beans, corn, peas, radishes, sunflowers

Dead Nettle, Potatoes (deters potato bugs)

Dill ,Cabbage (improves growth & health), carrots

Eggplant, Beans

Fennel ,Most plants are supposed to dislike it.

Flax, Carrots, potatoes

Garlic, Roses & raspberries (deters Japanese beetle); with herbs to enhance their production of essential oils; plant liberally throughout garden to deter pests

Horseradish ,Potatoes (deters potato beetle); around plum trees to discourage curculios

Hyssop, Cabbage (deters cabbage moths), grapes; keep away from radishes

Lamb's Quarters ,Nutritious edible weeds; allow to grow in modest amounts in the corn

Leek, Onions, celery, carrots

Lemon Balm Here and there in the garden

Marigold The workhorse of pest deterrents; keeps soil free of nematodes; discourages many insects; plant freely throughout the garden.

Marjoram, Here and there in the garden

Mint, Cabbage family; tomatoes; deters cabbage moth

Nasturtium ,Tomatoes, radish, cabbage, cucumbers; plant under fruit trees; deters aphids & pests of curcurbits

Onion ,Beets, strawberries, tomato, lettuce (protects against slugs), beans (protects against ants), summer savory

Parsley ,Tomato, asparagus

Pea ,Squash (when squash follows peas up trellis), plus grows well with almost any vegetable; adds nitrogen to the soil

Petunia Protects beans; beneficial throughout garden

Potato, Horseradish, beans, corn, cabbage, marigold, limas, eggplant (as a trap crop for potato beetle)

Pot Marigold Helps tomato, but plant throughout garden as deterrent to asparagus beetle, tomato worm & many other garden pests

Pumpkin Corn

Radish ,,Peas, nasturtium, lettuce, cucumbers; a general aid in repelling insects

Rosemary Carrots, beans, cabbage, sage; deters cabbage moth, bean beetles & carrot fly

Rue Roses & raspberries; deters Japanese beetle; keep away from basil

Sage ,Rosemary, carrots, cabbage, peas, beans; deters some insects

Soybean Grows with anything; helps everything

Spinach Strawberries

Squash, Nasturtium, corn

Strawberry, Bush beans, spinach, borage, lettuce (as a border)

Summer Savory, Beans, onions; deters bean beetles

Sunflower Cucumber

Tansy,Plant under fruit trees; deters pests of roses & raspberries; deters flying insects, also Japanese beetles, striped cucumber beetles, squash bugs; deters ants

Tarragon Good throughout garden

Thyme Here and there in garden; deters cabbage worm

Tomato,Chives, onion, parsley, asparagus, marigold, nasturtium, carrot, limas

Valerian Good anywhere in garden

Wormwood As a border, keeps animals from the garden

Yarrow, Plant along borders, near paths, near aromatic herbs; enhances essential oil production of herbs

Resource: The Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening, J.I. Rodale (editor) .

We have lots of veggies going in this year. We're hoping to grow most of the standard kinds mentioned above. I already have onions started from seed (long day, for our 39 degree latitude). I also plan to start asparagus from seed soon. We have a patch but I'd like to expand - cheaply.

We plan to plant many potatoes, for perhaps the long recession/depression ahead.

The most important thing to plant in a garden is a FENCE, IMHSHO! I do not enjoy tending plants for furry critters.

Enjoy!

GardenMOm

The most important thing to plant in a garden is a FENCE, IMHSHO! I do not enjoy tending plants for furry critters.

Now I know I am a certifiable nut. Last year I intentionally grew herbs (basil, cilantro, parsley) to feed the wild bunnies in my yard! And it goes without saying they also received all our carrot tops.:tongue_smilie:

What a fantastic list, thanks for sharing it with us Camille. I almost posted a question on here last week asking for sites that offer info like this. Can you tell me more specific information about the book it came from? My library has three organic gardening encyclopedia's by Rodale. Their publishing dates are 1992, 1978, 1959.

Thanks!

I've got a bunch of seedlings going now that I will transplant when it gets warmer. I've got artichokes, Moon & Stars watermelons, and Cinderella pumpkins. I'm also going to plant some sweet corn, and probably some squash and beans. I've got lettuce and spinach in pots right now that are doing pretty well.

I always plant a humungous garden, but I have such an un-green thumb, so I have to work hard at it. I am doing melon, squash, potatoes, popcorn, beans, peas, carrots, cabbage, celery, onions, greens, patty pans, sugar beets, (for the goats), tomatoes. Also putting in strawberries, blueberries, red raspberries, pear, apple, cherries, peaches. Makes me feel overwhelmed.

We have:

strawberries

black raspberries

red raspberries

apples

cherries

rubarb

goosberries

We will put in:

tomatoes

cucumbers

green peppers

lettuces

parsley

beans

spaghetti squash

potatoes

sweet potatoes

carrots

celery (?)

broccoli

watermelon (?)

corn

and various other things as dh comes across things he wants to grow.

:001_smile:

Now I know I am a certifiable nut. Last year I intentionally grew herbs (basil, cilantro, parsley) to feed the wild bunnies in my yard! And it goes without saying they also received all our carrot tops.:tongue_smilie:

If that is what makes you happy, it sounds good to me! You can always trap and eat them after you've fattened them up.

GardenMom

Last year we only got a few things into the ground due to a very rainy May. This year we have big plans.... I want several types of tomato, hot and sweet peppers, cukes, zucchini, yellow squash, pumpkins, corn, sunflowers, watermelon, lettuce, chard, kale, and some herbs. I'm contemplating potatoes and/or onions, but haven't yet decided if they are worth the effort.

What a fantastic list, thanks for sharing it with us Camille. I almost posted a question on here last week asking for sites that offer info like this. Can you tell me more specific information about the book it came from? My library has three organic gardening encyclopedia's by Rodale. Their publishing dates are 1992, 1978, 1959.

Thanks!

The list is from the 1978 date. Here are a few sites that may get your creative juices flowing:

http://www.companionplanting.net (very informative)

http://www.ghorganics.com/page2.html

http://www.tinkersgardens.com/ (one of my fav. gardening sites)

Happy gardening!

It's February. There is snow on the ground. We are supposed to think of gardening? Oh yeah, that is dh's department, which means prairie flowers. Give me something I can eat.

Now back to your regular programming ...

ETA: We live in a mature neighborhood (meaning lots of tall trees and shade, so we would have to plant our vegetable garden smack dab in the middle of our back yard. Would put a damper on using that area as a play space. Also, I can't be a caretaker for something that cannot tell me that it needs attention (like fish, plants, etc.) Children suit me fine because they can communicate, even if I have to work on the decifering part. ;)

Edited by dirty ethel rackham
hit submit too soon.