Menu

Yet another mother telling me about there dc math program in ps

Why do my friends want to tell me all about the math programs their children are doing in public school? This is like the 4th time I've been told about the wonderful program for math at the public schools. And, this one last night actually took out her sons math to show me. Do they think I'm just teaching them to count to 10 without a structured program.

I would think to ask what type of program I was doing and how it was going before I tell another person what is working for their child in public school. Just a bit weird. I look and check it out, and say how wonderful it is and then I just shut up and move on to a whole new subject.

Why do my friends want to tell me all about the math programs their children are doing in public school? This is like the 4th time I've been told about the wonderful program for math at the public schools. And, this one last night actually took out her sons math to show me.

Maybe she thought you, as a teacher, would be interested in seeing a math program that she thinks is doing a good job.

I would think to ask what type of program I was doing and how it was going before I tell another person what is working for their child in public school. Just a bit weird. I look and check it out, and say how wonderful it is and then I just shut up and move on to a whole new subject.

I would rather have someone show me their curriculum first before they start grilling me on what I am using.

I like talking math programs, so I probably would have continued the conversation.

I think a lot of non-homeschoolers don't realize how much curriculum is available for us. Last year when I started thinking about homeschooling, I was amazed at the vast amount of material to choose from. Maybe they think that you are just winging it without any kind of guidance from a structured program? No offense to you....I'm sure your kids are doing just fine with whatever you're using with them.

This is our first year, and since I'm just a beginner in this homeschooling journey I have discovered that there is an entire "homeschooling world" that others don't know about. Before we started, I remember thinking "Where do all those homeschoolers get their books from?" or "How do they know what to teach?" and since we've started these are the first questions family and friends ask me. (that, plus the socialization thing...)

Maybe you could keep your Rainbow Resource (phonebook-sized) catalog handy, and when they tell you what a great program they're using at the ps, you could whip out the catalog, plunk it on the table and say something like, "Wow, they have something like that right here....hold on, this will take me a minute....there are so many programs to choose from." ;)

She loves the math program and wanted to show it to someone else who is interested in education. I wouldn't read anything sinister or insulting in it. Shoot, how many times have I shown Singapore math to other homeschoolers and public schoolers? Plenty! I just love the program.

Ria

:glare: My mother does this type of thing with me. Both she and my sister work in the public school system. They are always telling me what school I should send my son to and how great the academic programs are. She was upset when I was teaching DS ancient history because that wasn't what the "schools" were teaching in third grade. She is at a very nice high school but I have no desire for DS to be placed in public school. It seems everyone has comments to make when they find out you homeschool. Sorry you had to put up with this.

This is so true. After several years of hsing, my FIL finally felt comfortable enough to start asking questions about how we do this. He was so surprised that there was curriculum choices geared to hsers. He was SHOCKED that there was whole conventions for us! It was an elightening conversation for me.

I think a lot of non-homeschoolers don't realize how much curriculum is available for us. Last year when I started thinking about homeschooling, I was amazed at the vast amount of material to choose from. Maybe they think that you are just winging it without any kind of guidance from a structured program? No offense to you....I'm sure your kids are doing just fine with whatever you're using with them.

This is our first year, and since I'm just a beginner in this homeschooling journey I have discovered that there is an entire "homeschooling world" that others don't know about. Before we started, I remember thinking "Where do all those homeschoolers get their books from?" or "How do they know what to teach?" and since we've started these are the first questions family and friends ask me. (that, plus the socialization thing...)

Maybe you could keep your Rainbow Resource (phonebook-sized) catalog handy, and when they tell you what a great program they're using at the ps, you could whip out the catalog, plunk it on the table and say something like, "Wow, they have something like that right here....hold on, this will take me a minute....there are so many programs to choose from." ;)

I have several friends with children in "regular" school and I have asked to see their math text. Honestly, I would love to ask to see more - writing samples, graded tests etc. It's not like I would base my whole teaching on what they are doing, but I really would like to be able to compare notes with regular schoolers they way we do here on the homeschool board.

I have several friends with children in "regular" school and I have asked to see their math text. Honestly, I would love to ask to see more - writing samples, graded tests etc. It's not like I would base my whole teaching on what they are doing, but I really would like to be able to compare notes with regular schoolers they way we do here on the homeschool board.

I agree! I don't tell them that I'm secretly comparing their texts with Singapore math. I have to admit that so far no public schooler has ever asked to look at our texts.

I agree that people don't know where hs-ers get their books.

My mil and I had a confusing conversation one day where I mentioned that my math program would cost about $60. She sat up straight and said, "What?! They make you PAY for it!??" I was confused and said, "Yes..." "But you pay taxes! That's just not right!!!!"

Turns out she thought that hs-ers collected the kids' books from the local school and then sat home and taught it. I had to explain that there were dozens of math programs designed just for homeschoolers and you choose and buy the one that fits you. She was amazed.

Perhaps your friends think the same way. That you either use the ps books, or you have nothing to use.

Or they just figure you'll be interested in the topic of conversation.

That would be easy to deal with around here. Our local school's use Saxon. I could easily just tell them that we tried using Saxon but it was a horrible fit for us so we now use a different program that doesn't make my children hate math so much.

But I do agree...there is a good possibility that they don't know that we have tons of choices in curriculum. Which also means that they don't know we can choose programs that work better for our kids than the so called wonderful public school's program would for them. When I first started homeschooling, I only knew about Sonlight and What Your Nth Grader Needs to Know Books. I spent the first year doing it by myself because I didn't want to use Sonlight.

You know her tone and body language, and if it bugged you then you might show her you math books for your kids whether she asked or not (you did not ask to see hers).

We have had this happen also, and it was just as other posters have said. The mother just did not understand that there is more out their than what the ps kids are doing. She thought that we just made stuff up as we went along and spent hours preparing for the next day's lessons. She has since started hsing. :001_smile: I find many of these encounters are merely misunderstandings of what we do and what resources we have access too.

:grouphug: Hopefully it was just a misunderstanding.

:001_smile::lol:

I really like this approach.

I also agree with the other posters that there could be several possible motives for what she did. And remember, she can't help it that she was the fourth person who did it to you! So, be discerning.

Why do my friends want to tell me all about the math programs their children are doing in public school? This is like the 4th time I've been told about the wonderful program for math at the public schools. And, this one last night actually took out her sons math to show me. Do they think I'm just teaching them to count to 10 without a structured program.

You could turn it into a "show me yours and I'll show you mine." Then proceed to talk about math curriculum for the next hour or so, while not letting her get a word in.

Actually, there have been very few public schoolers that have shared curriculum with me. I find that most of them don't really know what curriculum is being used for their dc. Many of them just kind of give me a blank look if I ask what their dc are using.....

But I have gotten a few comments. One that I remember was from a mom who told me that her child was getting an excellent public school education, and was actually doing algebra in 3rd grade. Ummmm, I doubt it. I think she meant that her child was doing some "solving for the unknown" in addition and subtraction.

But I am touchy about this. It feels like an implied comparison to the education my dc are receiving. And I think I'm a pretty typical homeschooler in that I WORRY about whether or not my dc are doing enough.... and gaps.... what about those dreaded gaps? And how do you discuss mastery vs spiral curriculum with someone who hasn't really thought about it? I would much rather discuss curriculum with other homeschoolers (which is obviously why I hang out here so much:001_smile:). I mean it's just more relevant.

So, while this person might have meant nothing by her comments, I certainly understand your discomfort.

Hang in there. Remember YOU are the best teacher for your dc.

Jackie, who has to remind herself of that fact...... daily.

I would imagine they see you, as homeschool mom, as someone interested in learning about math programs and other school materials.

I wouldn't take offense at their desire to share.

She loves the math program and wanted to show it to someone else who is interested in education. I wouldn't read anything sinister or insulting in it. Shoot, how many times have I shown Singapore math to other homeschoolers and public schoolers? Plenty! I just love the program.

This has been our experience, for the most part, people are just eager to share what they're doing. Sometimes I get the impression they might be thinking to convert me or enlighten me, but I'm pretty well-versed in math programs, so we end up having an interesting discussion on math. :001_smile:

I agree that people don't know where hs-ers get their books.

My mil and I had a confusing conversation one day where I mentioned that my math program would cost about $60. She sat up straight and said, "What?! They make you PAY for it!??" I was confused and said, "Yes..." "But you pay taxes! That's just not right!!!!"

Turns out she thought that hs-ers collected the kids' books from the local school and then sat home and taught it.

Dh had this mis-guided impression for awhile. He's raised it several times over the years, thinking I'd just run down to the local schoolhouse and get my books. :confused: (Probably around the times that taxes or bills are due!)

But when I relate the conversations I've had with neighbors over their math frustrations, he's been relieved to know we're not stuck with what they've got.

btw, Garga, with that avatar, I doubt that anyone fusses with you over much of anything!

Most of my ps friends have no idea what their kids are doing in school and seem amazed that I would care so much about what we use here at home. But then I always try to remember how little I knew about homeschooling before I started. I had no idea there were conventions or so many choices. I forget how little people know about what we do unless they are homeschoolers, too.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I think a lot of non-homeschoolers don't realize how much curriculum is available for us. Last year when I started thinking about homeschooling, I was amazed at the vast amount of material to choose from.

:lol:

This is SO true! Before one of my good friends started homeschooling last year, she asked me with a perplexed tone, "But what do you use?"

I told her all my favorite homeschooling web sites and yes, about the Rainbow Resource catalog. A few weeks later she called me, dazed and even more perplexed... "But what do you use?"

She had NO idea how much stuff was out there. :lol: