Menu

S/O What would you be giving up IF you were sending your kids to school?

As I answered the post about what I gave up to be a SAHM/homeschooing mom, it dawned on me that there is another list of important things I would be giving up if I were NOT doing what I am doing.

We all know the usual...time with your kids, etc. But what other things can you think of that you would really be sacrificing if you had to work outside the home full time or had to send your kids to school?

The biggest one would be peace of mind. I just could not feel comfortable knowing I was sacrificing my children's education. But it goes deeper than that. I believe homeschooling to be superior (at least in our case) socially, mentally, spiritually, emotionally, and physically also. So I'd lose all peace of mind sending them to an inferior situation.

And of course there is the time and relationship with them. I know we'd just have better quality time and relationships are built on more than time, but I believe that an abundance of ANY time is a better situation for us as a family but also towards their social development (though that is less of an issue with them now, I think, that when they were younger). Well, but it's true just because I do better in the morning and during the day than I do in the afternoon, evening, etc. So this way my kids get the best part of me. And I can truly enjoy them.

I also think my house wouldn't be as clean. LOL

Anyway, I'm sure there is more, but I just think the guilt and lack of peace of mind would eat at me like nothing else.

We would probably eat more convenience foods.

I'd also be giving up time with dh. With his schedule there would be months that we didnt' see each other if I worked 8-5. That is actually one of the top 5 reasons we homeschool.

The only other thing I can think of right off the top of my head is that I'd give up peace of mind. I like knowing that my dd is not in what I see as an unhealthy environment for 8 hours a day.

1. Seeing the lightbulb go off when one of my kids finally gets a concept.

2. Getting a really good education now esp. through our history study.

3. Catching those little attitudes and behaviors before they are reinforced by other kids who thing they are funny or before they are ignored as "normal" by other adults.

4. Getting to sleep in.

5. Getting to do ministry with my children (we don't get home until 10 pm on Wednesday nights).

6. Getting to by-pass the twaddle.

My time and life would no longer be my own. We would have to follow the schedules and restrains set out by my employer and the public school system. We could not take vactions when we want, we would have a hard time taking time off for funerals, holidays and time to just go and do fun stuff.

We would lose our freedom. Even with doing day care we can still schedule off-season vacations. We can take extra days during holidays. And we can go on fun trips and meet friends and do fun stuff together.

If I worked we would also have to give up a lot of our fun library clubs and my children would go into afterschool care which could be dangerous for them.

Life at home is great.:001_smile:

~I would be giving up control of my life! That is how I see it. When my oldest went to ps, my whole world (as well as my husband's and my younger son's) revolved around that school schedule. I can remember getting up and trudging out in the cold to take him to school. I remember picking him up when it started to snow and never going far from home for fear school would be cancelled or something would happen and i couldn't get back to my child. It was a very helpless feeling. Then, last year, the bullying started. The threats from the other child were things like, "I will kill you. Tomorrow on the playground, you will die." Did the principal care? Nope. So, peace of mind in knowing that my kids are with me and are safe is something I never want to give up again.

~The ability to travel with my husband. If my kids were in school, we would be stuck here all the time and not able to travel with dh when we wanted to.

~I would have to go back to work if the kids were in school. I wouldn't be able to pick them up at 3pm when school gets out and I would have to send them to afterschool care which would mean their days stretched from 7:30am until 6pm out of my care! I can say, from experience with my oldest son, that this is not exactly a way to bond with your kids. :(

~Quality education for my kids and the freedom for them to explore their interests and passions.

~Being able to do Bible study with my kids and teach them our family values and beliefs.

~Seeing my kids learn and discover new things in life.

~Feeling a sense of accomplishment in my kids' development. For instance, knowing that my youngest child can read because *I* taught him how...or knowing that my oldest is reading 400 page novels because *I* instilled that love of reading in him through my own examples and encouragement.

~I have found so many things in myself since I started homeschooling my kids. I know more now than I ever learned in school! I have rediscovered my love for reading - something I lost as an English major who had to read non-stop in college. Homeschooling my kids has made ME a better person. I only hope it does the same for my children. :)

Edited by Tree House Academy

1. The one-on-one tutoring.

2. The ability to challenge my kids right where they are at.

3. Being able to see their dad more often. He works all kinds of weird and crazy hours.

4. Avoiding the busywork and agenda of the schools.

5. Helping my ld child learn concepts and back track when needed while not crushing his spirit or making him feel stupid.

6. Being able to take advantage of nice sunny days when they happen.

I'm sure there is much more but I have to go teach. Good thread. Sometimes I do feel like I sacrifice a lot for hsing but obviously my whole family would sacrifice much more if we did ps and so we do continue homeschooling.

Money, money, money!

From experience... School budgets stink and we have to pay for the school authorized PE clothes, class fees, field trip fees, activity fees...

And after paying for them to go to school, I give up time to transport them back and forth.

And then I am offered multiple ways by the school to raise funds for the school with fund raisers, which I promptly discard or send back and not participate in... If I want to raise funds, it will be for my own family! I do know that homeschooling costs money, too. But, we get to choose what to purchase... we get to decide how to budget, etc.

So, you also give up choice when they go to school outside of the home.

And I agree wholeheartedly with Jean's list!! Ditto.

And I'd give up providing lunch... we don't dole out lunch money, it bugs me that I cannot make lunch for them at home at lunch time... they pack food and that is expensive, too and I am limited in what I send.

My kiddos were homeschooled 12 years. Some will go to high school publicly. I am now in the process of bringing them back home to school until high school.

Other than the usual.... (which are more than enough reasons for me to keep trucking along with homeschooling, lol)

I would be giving up my evenings because I'd have homework to muddle through with 3 kids. I would give up even more of my evenings because we would be involved in more extra curricular activities that happen IN the evenings (we're fortunate - many of our fun activities are during the daytime hours). I would give up my peacefulness because I don't play well by other people's rules - so I would inevitably be butting heads with someone (whether a teacher or administrator). lol

I would definitely be back to working, so I would be giving up my ability to make phone calls to deal with this-or-that on my own schedule. I wouldn't be able to run to the grocery store at 2 o'clock on a Tuesday when it's absolutely dead and would have to do it after work hours when everyone else is there shopping.

I'd be giving up my uber late nights. I usually stay up until 2 or 3 am, because I sleep in til 9. :D Wouldn't be able to do THAT anymore, for sure!

As I answered the post about what I gave up to be a SAHM/homeschooing mom, it dawned on me that there is another list of important things I would be giving up if I were NOT doing what I am doing.

We all know the usual...time with your kids, etc. But what other things can you think of that you would really be sacrificing if you had to work outside the home full time or had to send your kids to school?

My sanity. That would be one of the first things to go. I already work nearly full-time (although most of it at home). I need my family time to balance things out.

Just a side note...I used the term "the usual" simply to include the things that are probably inherent to all of us. I was attempting to ask people to think outside the obvious and across the board type reasons and reach down to those other things that maybe we hadn't really thought about...which everyone has done. I definitely didn't mean any disrespect to the "usual" - I think those are things that are important to all of us. :)

Edited by Tree House Academy

I already work full time, with an odd schedule (3 12-hour shifts per week). I wouldn't work any more hours, and I'd still reqire childcare from time to time when I'm working & dh is gone, so nothing would change in that aspect.

Last year & the year before, when my dc were in ps and private school, I was run absolutely ragged with all the fundraisers (and that was for public school, too, not just private), the after-school activities, parent-teacher conferences not scheduled for anyone's convenience, homework woes after school, class parties, PTA. My dh & I are amazed at the amount of relaxed family time homeschooling has given us.

We'd also be giving up flexibility. With two nontraditional work schedules plus homeschooling, we can do things when we want to do them. No more waiting for a school break to do, well anything!

I'd loose my kids. Not in just in time with them but I truly feel that I would watch my children change from the darlings I know, have love and have raised; changed into products of pop-culture, peer pressure, academic stress and many other things which I do not wish to have them exposed to 35 hours a week.

I'd loose my kids. Not in just in time with them but I truly feel that I would watch my children change from the darlings I know, have love and have raised; changed into products of pop-culture, peer pressure, academic stress and many other things which I do not wish to have them exposed to 35 hours a week.

I did send my kids to school; we had to make some tough choices last year. I am thankful that I have not lost my children. They are still the darlings I know and love. They have not changed into products of pop-culture, peer pressure, academic stress, and other things. Academically, they are thriving, and I'm still very involved in their educations; dh and I are still very involved in their lives. They are still good kids, fun kids, the same kids we've always had. I take the position that a good upbringing is priceless.

What I gave up was rest. I'm tired. Very, very tired. What I also gave up - a good thing - was the constant niggling fear that each month would bring financial disaster. I have a financial peace of mind now that was long overdue. We aren't rich, but we can afford to live now.

Things that I regret giving up include being the instructor. Watching my kids "get it" and seeing them learn new things. Discussing stuff, and learning along with them. Being there to answer questions whenever I'm needed. I miss that. A lot.

Ria

Edited by Ria

Not much actually.

When my children were at a really good school I had a pretty comfortable life... although a poor one financially. So perhaps money I guess would be something I would be giving up to have them there again. The fees.... OUCH.

When the children were at a bad school I was giving up the ability to have any influence on their lives. Any ability to be informed on their education. I gave up the partnership that should exist between home and school. In many ways I feel that to put the children back into (state) school would be to give up the rights to determine what is best... that right appears to belong to the school. And I am a nuisance to them when I dare interfere or be interested in my own childrens education.

LOL I wonder why I homeschool!!

Being able to sleep in. I am NOT a morning person. My dh says only half-jokingly that this is the #1 reason we homeschool :tongue_smilie:

Being able to go on a field trip or visit a friend at the drop of a hat.

4-H. We meet on a school day.

Volunteer work. Again, we do this during the school week.

My kids having time to play and just be kids.

We would probably eat a lot more fast food if I were working.

The ability to schedule doctor's appointments, hair appointments, etc. easily.

My (relative) level of peacefulness. I hate dealing with bureaucracy, red tape, institutions, etc. and I stress very easily, so I can see how I would be completely off my rocker if I had to send my kids to school.

In addition to some of the common responses here (not being there to see my kids' academic achievements first hand and being directly instrumental in them, eating less healthily, etc), if my kids were in school I would have sacrificed:

1) spending time with my husband - we probably would have both felt compelled to get 9-5 jobs and would rarely see each other; having a family learning lifestyle has benefited our marriage in that we look to grow in all things together

2) I would never have discovered a love of (and dare I say, talent for) writing - I had always seen myself working in a lab or in the field doing some form of scientific research; I'm sure I would have liked it, but I would never have dreamed that there was this world of writing out there that I actually enjoy

3) discipline in domestic life - as a daughter of the 70s and 80s, I was groomed for the workforce with little to no attention to preparing me for marriage, raising children, and taking care of daily household tasks; I guess it was assumed that I would just eat out a lot and hire a maid :confused: - I don't really know; I still don't care for housework, but I think that it is because I am not very skilled at it yet, but I have developed a discipline to work through the mundane and learn to enjoy things like laundry (sorting, washing, drying, and folding - I still don't like putting it away or ironing it) and cooking (I have discovered a talent for cooking and enjoy expressing love and appreciation for people by making wonderful meals for them)