Menu

What is your favorite no-frills math program?

mo2

R&S is very "no frills". Very few manipulatives and those are used for a whole year. Enough drill for almost any kid in the workbook, although there are blackline masters if you do need them. The TM is straightfoward and includes all the drill and concept work you'll need. All in all, it's very easy to use.

R&S is very "no frills". Very few manipulatives and those are used for a whole year. Enough drill for almost any kid in the workbook, although there are blackline masters if you do need them. The TM is straightfoward and includes all the drill and concept work you'll need. All in all, it's very easy to use.

:iagree::iagree:

Rod and Staff has been great here.

Singapore? Ray's? Just looking for something that gets the job done.

I have two - Singapore and Saxon (K-3 particularly).

Saxon K-3 focuses heavily on the number line and emphasizes tricks and recognizing patterns to teach the math facts. It also focuses on sequences (that teach looking for patterns) which I think are important. Very thorough program.

Singapore is visual at presenting concepts. It has logical word problems which encourage thinking outside the box. Great program!

Let's see, for *my* family:

Saxon was way too time consuming

Rod and Staff was very boring

Abeka had no 'thinking' math

Singapore for us is perfect. :001_smile: It is easy to teach, doesn't take long, no frills, gets the job done, is a great 'thinking' math, and holds the attention of my kiddos (and one is adhd).

We started 1st with MCP math and it was fine but for some reason I had to try something different :001_huh:

We tried R&S and Horizons for a yr but came back to MCP for 3rd and now doing 4th grade. It's a solid affordable program. Great teachers manual too. Just 1 workbbk per year and no extras needed.

I started my DD with MCP this yr for 1st and we won't be changing this time! If it ain't broke don't fix it ;)