Menu

Do you teach your children about OPPOSING viewpoints?

The CORRECT English language, from any era (including the current one) where people know enough Greek to understand the meaning of the term "mythos".

so you want to examine all the English words, and wherever the English usage parts ways w/ The Original Greek we should eliminate that usage?

I feel a scavenger hunt coming on..... :D

happy slaying, lol!

PS: i just realized we should add a Bill-wrist-slapping to the parody above. would you like to write your own, Bill? ;)

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We teach our children various perspectives. The right one (ours) and the erroneous version. LOL How can they be prepared to stand for what they believe if they don't have an opportunity to glimpse into the other side?

We recently began using a new science program. DD was horrified that it denounces evolution, which we have taught. We explained that it's a great chance to understand what others believe, and we can further explain how/why we view things the way we do.

I did not wade through the 16 pages of responses. (But I did see Peek's hilarious one and sounds like y'all were having some kind of fun with this thread). We teach our dc that there is absolute truth and that we have a "plumb line", the Word of God. Anything that contradicts the truth of God's Word is recognized as a falsehood. Just like bank tellers are trained to recognize forged money by only working with the real thing. They get so familiar with the true money that when a forged twenty comes their way they spot it immediately. Just like when I learned anatomy. I learned normal anatomy until I was blue in the face and THEN I was presented with something that had a problem and could discern right away there was something different.

We teach opposing viewpoints practically, not just sitting around the kitchen table. For example, we are Christians and teach English to Somali and Oromo Muslims who are our friends. We also have family members with very different worldviews from our own so there is a constant flow of opposing viewpoints from them as well. We look at evidence for and against controversial topics, etc.

I've been known to listen to Rush for awhile and then put on Air America to show the dc how different folks think about the issues out there. This was especially entertaining immediately following the inauguration, talk about two totally different takes on it. But it led to a great conversation being influenced by media in either direction and the importance of having a plumb line.

I'm amazed at how many people are certain that their perspectives are the right ones and others are the wrong ones.

That's because we ARE right..;) :lol:

ETA (I do hope you know I'm joking..)

Edited by runninmommy
Can't write complete sentences..

I'm amazed at how many people are certain that their perspectives are the right ones and others are the wrong ones.

I wonder how much pride is tangled in that. I'm always scared of being 'stiff-necked' or so stubborn in my ideals that I'll miss a great and beautiful truth. I want my kids to be on the look out for any great and beautiful truths as well. Maybe, instead of just wanting to prepare them for the real world, my hope (that there are many beautiful truths in this world) is why I try to teach all beliefs/ideals.

Haha! Peek- maybe I'm not a sheep, but a really crafty non-conformist after all :)

I find it extremely odd that people came to a thread like this without wearing their Like-A-Duck rub.

Newsflash: Right or wrong, people believe differently than you and a lot of someones believe you are wrong! There is NO ONE on this board that is NOT thought of as wrong by someone.

Okay, what you say is true, but what I really want to know is: What is "Like-A-Duck rub?" I've never heard that expression (but it sounds cute).

what I really want to know is: What is "Like-A-Duck rub?" I've never heard that expression (but it sounds cute).

LOL. I just wanted something that would make my point and that sounded cuter than my other made up things this morning. I was trying to pick one for being thicker skinned. And I didn't want to use the "big girl p@nties" phrase. I figure ducks just let it roll off their backs so this was closer to what I meant anyway.

I will say that, yes, I teach my children about the beliefs of other people. Yes, I take sides for my own beliefs. I do desire to teach my children to grow into thinking, reasoning adults. I believe that there is truth to be found (although there are many instances where it is very elusive), and that not all ideas are equal in value.

However, I do not advocate for mean behavior, cruelty, or discrimination against others based upon the fact that they believe differently than we do. I teach mutual respect. The alternative, in my opinion, is to implicitly support violence against, and oppression of, those who do not know the truth as you do, and that does not fit with my value system. Those who do advocate judgment in the form of discrimination, oppression, and violence against people who do not agree with their "truth" are the ones whom I will condemn, aloud, to my children.

Truly, no snark intended... but just to clarify. This comment has led me to assume (and, yes, I know what happens when one assumes, thus the request for clarification, if you choose to offer it) ... anyway, from this comment I assume you teach your children what your thoughts are on a particular topic but also let them know you could be wrong and a completely opposite viewpoint could be more valid than your own. Is that right?

I mean, there are *some* issues on which I tell my kids, "This is what I believe is the most reasonable truth on this matter, but I'm open to other interpretations (within reason)." But there are many others on which I am fully convinced that my viewpoint is the Truth, and other viewpoints are a distortion, misrepresentation, or flat-out refutation of the Truth.

Honestly, I find it difficult to believe that anyone is so open-minded that they would not claim to hold any viewpoint on any subject as the "correct" and "true" or "best" viewpoint.

Regardless of your faith, whether it be in the Christian Triune God, in the Allah of Islam, in the cycles of nature, whatever -- you have to hold that your viewpoint on your faith is "truth." Whether you are a conservative or liberal or somewhere in between, you have to have developed opinions or stances on certain issues that you believe to be the "right" or "true" or "best" viewpoints.

As another poster pointed out, we certainly do not all agree with each other here -- in fact, I am constantly amazed by the extreme diversity of opinion and thought here -- but, really? You don't think YOUR views on any given topic are the correct views? You are always open to the possibility that you could be wrong on any or every given subject?

Also, to clarify my own point, I'm not suggesting that we say, "This is the Truth on this subject" and then stick our head in the sand and pretend like there is no other possible viewpoint. But, surely we all have convictions about certain subjects or issues, and while we recognize there are varying and opposite opinions on that same subject, we still hold to ours as the "best" or "correct" opinion, and teach our children the same in hopes that they will grow up and adopt those viewpoints as their own.

That doesn't preclude a parent from teaching opposing viewpoints, but I can't imagine any parent teaching those opposing viewpoints without also discussing with their child why *they* (the parent) have rejected those opposing viewpoints in favor of the one they hold.

Regardless of your faith, whether it be in the Christian Triune God, in the Allah of Islam, in the cycles of nature, whatever -- you have to hold that your viewpoint on your faith is "truth." Whether you are a conservative or liberal or somewhere in between, you have to have developed opinions or stances on certain issues that you believe to be the "right" or "true" or "best" viewpoints.

Some people believe that whatever one believes is okay. In fact, some people believe that God calls people in different ways so no religion is right or wrong. I'm not sure what they think about how God is calling atheists or maybe they think they are the only ones missing out?

Some people believe that whatever one believes is okay. In fact, some people believe that God calls people in different ways so no religion is right or wrong. I'm not sure what they think about how God is calling atheists or maybe they think they are the only ones missing out?

Personally, I believe religion is a lot like the story of the blind men and the elephant. Most (all?) religions have a piece of the puzzle, but they also have a lot of misunderstandings. I don't believe that any one religion has the entire truth.

I didn't always believe this way. It took personally experiencing a significant shift in my religious beliefs to understand how different people who could be equally convicted in completely different paths, and how new information and experiences could change one's view of truth. Living through that made me hold my current beliefs a lot more humbly than I had before. I'm willing to accept that God may be speaking to others in different ways and calling them down different paths.

As for atheists? Well, I don't believe that belief in God is as obvious or as easy to obtain as some religious believers seem to think. I know atheists who want to believe in God but just can't. And I know others who think there is no way we can know and so they would rather expend their energies on other questions or issues. I figure it's between them and God. I don't think a belief in God is necessary to be a good person or do good in the world.

LOL. I just wanted something that would make my point and that sounded cuter than my other made up things this morning. I was trying to pick one for being thicker skinned. And I didn't want to use the "big girl p@nties" phrase. I figure ducks just let it roll off their backs so this was closer to what I meant anyway.

Oh, I get it. Like Rhino skin....rhinos are cute (the baby ones are, at least).

Jesus was extremely humble. He washed the feet of his disciples when no one else offered. He held that his beliefs were truth, and he witnessed to others about this truth in a kind way. Then there were some religious leaders that he did not take to kindly to. He did not say that there was more than one path. Quite the opposite.

Yes, I do. Not all and not in depth, but my kids are well aware of what *we* believe and they are also aware that others do not believe the same. I occasionally tell the opposing viewpoints and other times, I just give a brief overview. For instance, I do not know exactly how Buddhists or Hindus believe, so I can't really do the beliefs justice with my simple explanations. I do encourge the kids to explore those things further on their own if they so choose. :)

We probably don't agree on what is happening on the thread. It is not "my" verse. It is a verse from the christian bible.

I am well aware that we don't agree. It was a bit of tongue-in-cheek because your verse seemed to confirm what I was saying. By "your' verse, I meant the verse that you supplied from the christian Bible. My verse was also from the Christian Bible, but I didn't think that I needed to explain every detail. Due to a common body of knowledge, it should be understood...oh wait, that is another thread.

Some people feel that Mohammad was a humble person who spread his beliefs in a kind way. A lot of people say that about Buddha too.
That was not my point. My point was that he held his beliefs as Truth, the only Truth, and he was extremely humble. You seem to be saying that the two don't coincide in a person. They do.

I think it's also important to distinguish between beliefs and feelings, and facts and rational opinions (based on logic rather than faith). I know there's a tendency to use all these interchangeably...but they're not the same at all.

And here's where I get off the train. I don't believe in a God. Am I correct in assuming that you're equating God with truth? Because that doesn't follow as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed on the first point, I figured we would distinguish between opinion and facts...

However, there either is or there isn't a tree in my front yard; there either is or there isn't a God of this Universe (speaking only of his existence, not what characteristics he has). In each of these examples, both cannot be true, and their truth certainly isn't dependent upon one's belief.

I guess that's my only concern in this discussion. It's as if we each live in a separate bubble in which God exists in my bubble but not in my neighbor's. This is just not logical and I think lots of people ignore this in an effort to not be "intolerant". It's the new politically correct and it just doesn't make sense.

It's been humbling for me to realize that this world's truth is not dependent upon whether I believe it. I've come to realize that different matters of truth and fact exist and if I want to know what the truth is, many times I have to set aside my feelings, predispositions, previous beliefs, clean the slate and look at it from the perspective of wanting to know what THE truth is. I am speaking of many things, not exclusively the existence of God. I guess I'm relating my own feeling of arrogance when I've assumed that I can pick and choose what I want to believe without regard for an objective truth (if there is one in whatever scenario). As if I can have my version of reality which controls the worlds reality. It's something I'm aware of in myself and I'm trying to distinguish those areas that I do have the right to do that - like politics because lots of that is interpreting history and predicting the future.

So when I speak of arrogance and humility - it is truly and only my own of which I speak.

...way more philosophical than I intended on being all week long...

There are very few things I believe are absolute truths for me (emphasis on for me).

Just using your post as a jumping off point....

But ISN"T there an absolute truth? Either there IS a God or there ISN'T. Either evolution is true, or it's not. Either we are just dead when we die or there is some sort of other life.

In the VERY end, it CAN"T be all ways.

It isn't just what is truth to you or me or anyone else. There IS an ultimate truth.

I also think that because there IS an ultimate truth, that it is findable.

I was writing early in the morning (for me), so I probably rambled too much and didn't make my point in a clear enough manner. But, allow me to use your observation to better clarify my thought process.

If a person believes that "whatever one believes is OK"... does that not mean that people who believe there is only ONE correct faith (or belief or path to God) are wrong?

Open-Minded Person (O-MP):
I believe that every religion or faith system has value, and people can choose what they believe about God, or choose to not believe in God at all, and that's all OK.

Person of Faith: (PoF)
I believe there is only one True God, and only one path to God and only one path to heaven.

O-MP:
That's narrow-minded and exclusionary; it's better to be open-minded and allow that there might be more than one path to God.

Right there, the OMP has determined what they believe to be True (or to be a "better," if not "best," viewpoint): there is no one right religion; many/all paths lead to God. Therefore, someone who holds an opposing viewpoint (whether it is that there is only ONE way to God/heaven, or that it is foolish for anyone to believe in a Supreme Being at all) would be incorrect in the eyes of the O-MP.

I guess my point is that even holding to the belief that "all viewpoints on this topic are equally valid" would mean that someone who believed there was only ONE valid viewpoint on the topic was wrong.

I know, my logic is most likely flawed. I sincerely ask for correction in my conclusions if I have made an illogical leap.

I am not trying to argue for a particular religion, by the way. That was just an easy example to use, because there ARE so many different belief systems.

Edited by jejily

If a person believes that "whatever one believes is OK"... does that not mean that they think that people who believe there is only ONE correct faith (or belief or path to God) are wrong?

I haven't finished your post, but....

I think that if a person believes that, they think they are wrong in that there are more paths to God. HOWEVER, I think that they probably believe that that is the right path for that person.

Say a person is a Caramaz (made up btw because I don't want to offend anyone who might be easily offendable). A Caramaz believes there is ONE path and it is includes believing XYZ and doing ABC. PERIOD.

The O-MP believes very similarly to the Caramaz in her own life, but believes that the Zoodoolous who believe completely oppositely are on their own path to God and that that is equally accepable for them.

So the OMP doesn't agree with the Caramaz that the Zoodoolous are d@mned, though the OMP's religious beliefs are very much in line with the Caramaz's. They think each has the right path for that person.

I'm not explaining very well.

Someone explained to me that they believed that some people feel more need for absolutes and rules and such than other feel. She didn't think it was wrong for Caramazes to think like they do. She did have a little more issue with the Caramazes d@mning everyone else to Hell (the mainstream Christian version of Hell). SHe thought those beliefs were necessary for that person and RIGHT for that person.

Edited by 2J5M9K

I guess my point is that even holding to the belief that "all viewpoints on this topic are equally valid" would mean that someone who believed there was only ONE valid viewpoint on the topic was wrong.

I know, my logic is most likely flawed. I sincerely ask for correction in my conclusions if I have made an illogical leap.

No, that is precisely the illogic of postmodernism. I'm just enjoying hearing all the gears grinding in my head. Haven't thought this deeply probably since law school.

Just using your post as a jumping off point....

But ISN"T there an absolute truth? Either there IS a God or there ISN'T. Either evolution is true, or it's not. Either we are just dead when we die or there is some sort of other life.

In the VERY end, it CAN"T be all ways.

It isn't just what is truth to you or me or anyone else. There IS an ultimate truth.

I also think that because there IS an ultimate truth, that it is findable.

Personally, it's your last sentence I disagree with.

I just haven't seen much evidence that humans are capable of finding ultimate truth. And I think the belief that we have found it often (note I said often, not always) leads to behavior and attitudes that are detrimental to society and to the individuals that believe they have found the ultimate truth.

Agreed on the first point, I figured we would distinguish between opinion and facts...

However, there either is or there isn't a tree in my front yard; there either is or there isn't a God of this Universe (speaking only of his existence, not what characteristics he has). In each of these examples, both cannot be true, and their truth certainly isn't dependent upon one's belief.

I guess that's my only concern in this discussion. It's as if we each live in a separate bubble in which God exists in my bubble but not in my neighbor's. This is just not logical and I think lots of people ignore this in an effort to not be "intolerant". It's the new politically correct and it just doesn't make sense.

Yes, I think that all reasonable people can agree that there are in fact facts that are either true or or not true, the problem is that in this particular case there is no absolute way for humans to know what is in fact true, so it all comes down to beliefs. Some people believe that God does in fact exist and other people do not. There is no objective scientifc way to prove either. If there was then there would be no need for belief. It would be called facts, which you would either know or not know.

What I am wondering is what it is Christians expect of non-Christians regarding the truth of the Bible as they know it. Should all non-Christians be required to live their lives according to the Bible even though we do not believe it to be true? If so why don't Jewish people or Muslim people have the same rights? I am sure that they believe their Holy Books to be just as true as you believe your to be. Should you be required to live your life according to what atheists believe is true? How would you resolve this fundemental problem?

This post is addressed to all, not this specific poster.

I just haven't seen much evidence that humans are capable of finding ultimate truth. And I think the belief that we have found it often (note I said often, not always) leads to behavior and attitudes that are detrimental to society and to the individuals that believe they have found the ultimate truth.

Are you talking about people of faith?

There have been terrible autrocities in the name of religion. Is this what you are getting at? Yes, there have been and it causes many to believe that all religions are wrong. Isn't there a possibility that there is only one right one, so it appears that they are all wrong because the majority are?

There have been terrible autrocities in the name of religion. Is this what you are getting at? Yes, there have been and it causes many to believe that all religions are wrong. Isn't there a possibility that there is only one right one, so it appears that they are all wrong because the majority are?

It's possible, yes. I spent 30 years believing just that.

I just don't believe that way any more. :D

And I'm not just talking about atrocities. I'm talking about how devout believers of a variety of (conflicting) religious paths believe they have found The One True Truth. And how the arguments they use sound identical. Yet clearly, they can't all be on the One Path.

What I am wondering is what it is Christians expect of non-Christians regarding the truth of the Bible as they know it. Should all non-Christians be required to live their lives according to the Bible even though we do not believe it to be true?
I don't expect Non-Christians to live as I do, but I am not going to tell them that they are doing the right thing. I am going to make sure that they have had a witness (the right witness, of the Truth), which might include my quoting the Bible to them, because many Non-Christians have been turned off from Christianity by behaviors and teachings that are actually not in the Bible. I feel that they have a right to know that. I am not going to hate them and judge them (not that this doesn't happen). I am going to hold out hope that they will see the Truth one day. In the meantime I will leave them alone to decide, or maybe share something when circumstances may have changed. I will follow the command to work good towards all but especially toward those of the faith, which would mean that I have an obligation to help them as well. I will not become best friends with them, because I want to surround myself with people that share my values and build me up. Does that help at all?

Should all non-Christians be required to live their lives according to the Bible even though we do not believe it to be true?

Not according to the Bible :)

The Bible clearly states that Christians are to share the good news but that what people do with that information is up to them. It also states that the majority of people, even those claiming to serve the God of the Bible, will not listen and will even be rude or hateful, even to the point of murder. It states that God wishes that NO ONE would be destroyed and he's giving people the opportunity to choose Him and His ways. But time has proven that people's ways and Satan's ways don't work and His purpose WILL be fulfilled.

So each and every person has a choice to make. Until the end (of how things are now), people are allowed to do as they please. God says that it hurts him that people don't choose Him, but He wants people to WANT to serve Him. If they don't, they don't have to.

And I'm not just talking about atrocities. I'm talking about how devout believers of a variety of (conflicting) religious paths believe they have found The One True Truth. And how the arguments they use sound identical. Yet clearly, they can't all be on the One Path.

I have come to believe in Creation and the Bible through much research and study over many years. I have found the Bible to be scientifically accurate long before the rest of the world was. I have found descrepencies between Bible history and archeology to be later cleared up by more archeological findings. I have seen that the Bible has a flow and agreement that it cannot possibly have being written by many men over many years. I have found that the Bible has survived intact many things that other books have not.

I have been in and out of religion and have searched through them. These are the scriptures that I see fulfilled in the religion that I have chosen. I do not believe that they all fulfill these scriptures. I think only one does.

1 Cor. 1:10: "Now I exhort you, brothers, through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ that you should all speak in agreement, and that there should not be divisions among you, but that you may be fitly united in the same mind and in the same line of thought."

"Look! a great crowd, which no man was able to number, out of all nations and tribes and peoples and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb." (Revelation 7:9) (Zechariah 8:23; Galatians 6:16)

Now that I have explained why I believe as I do any further inquiries and answers by me are to be left in PM as many do not appreciate witnessing on a thread.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Well, see, I'm not sure this is the way I approach these things. I don't see my viewpoint as "truth" (with either a capital or lowecase 't'). I have reached a stage in my life at which I'm comfortable with the idea that there may not be a single "truth" in any of the big questions. And, even if there is one, I'm not at all convinced that humans are capable of understanding it. So, the best I can do is to follow my heart, guided by my mind, and give others the space to do the same.

I don't need to be "right." I don't need others to be "wrong." My suspicion is that, whatever is out there (if anything) is bigger and more complex than we can imagine and that none of us have the whole picture.

But I could be wrong.

Originally Posted by Jenny in Florida

I don't need to be "right." I don't need others to be "wrong."

This is the kind of statement that I find insulting to those who do believe in one truth. It sounds pretty judgemental, like we are siblings arguing over something.

Selectively quoting doesn't help your case. If someone is always on guard for offense, it will undoubtedly be found. Sheesh.

I don't need to be "right." I don't need others to be "wrong." My suspicion is that, whatever is out there (if anything) is bigger and more complex than we can imagine and that none of us have the whole picture.

But I could be wrong.

Edited to add: I personally find no issue with the shorter quote.

Edited by nmoira