Menu

2009 Book a week thread - week 4 update

Tonight it's time to start book #5. You can post here, and post a review if you want at the 52 books blog.

http://read52booksin52weeks.blogspot.com/

Feel free to join in at any time--Recapping the rules:

1. Read an average of a book a week - 52 books in 52 weeks
  2. Re-reading a book counts--as long as you first read it before 2009
  3. School related books don't count (unless you want them to)

From the threads, it sounds like you all are reading up a storm. Keep up the good work and most of all - have fun!

Book # 5 for me will be Pray for a Miracle (A Sister Agatha Mystery) by Aimee Thurlo

Happy Reading!

I can't believe I'm keeping up! I finished Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister after it took me about 120 pages to get into it. The twist at the end was very interesting. I can't say whether I really liked it though. It was kind of dark and not my style.

I started reading On the Trail of Marco Polo but it was just bad writing so I'm tossing that one. I'll probably read an Agatha Christie quick novel this week. I have a concert this weekend anyway that I should be practicing for rather than reading.

Interesting and thought provoking story line. The premise of the story is parent's of a child diagnosed with leukemia decide to have another child to provide bone marrow for a transplant. Having had a parent that died of leukemia the story hit close to home in many ways. It also caused me to think of the ethics behind such a decision and how we live in a day and age where that choice is readily available to many people.

I will read Second Touch by Thoene this week. I read book one of this series in week one of our book a week challenge with mixed feelings but I'm promised the series becomes addicting and I have access to the first three so I will read them.

I have finished Dr. Jenner and the Speckled Monster by Albert Marrin. My son and I both thought it was a fascinating book. I learned several interesting facts from it.

I am still working on Dragonfly in Amber the second book in the Outlander series. It is verra good (said the way Jamie would say it) I just donna seem to have the time to read it.

I have now started reading Fever a book about the Yellow Fever outbreak in Philadelphia in 1793.

Karen

I read The Thirteenth Tale. This book is like I imagine opium--the real world seems far less important than the book and it haunts your dreams. (Literally. I can't think of the last time I dreamed about a book.) There's also a certain heaviness to the book that tends to creep into real life.

I've started Vanity Fair, but I'm pretty sure I won't finish it by the week's end. I'm "ahead" in number of books anyway, and I told myself when I started this challenge that I wouldn't choose books based on whether they were easy/short enough to finish in one week, but I still find myself bothered at the thought of not finishing a book this next week.:confused:

This past week I finished my missionary biography Evidence Not Seen by Darlene Deibler Rose and I also slipped a couple bonus books in there as well (the last two books in Joel Rosenberg's Last Jihad series).

For this week, I will be reading The Shack and The Closing of the American Mind

I read two books this week: Wicked by Gregory Maguire and Christine Falls by Benjamin Black.

Wicked is very, very dark. The interesting storyline was what kept me going through this book. Who knew that the Wicked Witch of the West was an animal rights activist?

I really liked Christine Falls. It ws a good old-fashioned whodunit. You knew who did it halfway through but it was still a good read.

Next up: Middleses by Jeffrey Eugenides (I hope the spelling is correct.)

I just finished Lawrence Hill's Someone Knows My Name. WOW!! That book is not for the faint of heart. It is the story of a little girl who is kidnapped from her village in Africa and sold into slavery in the 1700s. I am so glad I read it, but it ripped my heart out over and over.

Today, I am starting Persuasion by Jane Austen. I really need a lighter read!

I read The Thirteenth Tale. This book is like I imagine opium--the real world seems far less important than the book and it haunts your dreams. (Literally. I can't think of the last time I dreamed about a book.) There's also a certain heaviness to the book that tends to creep into real life.

What a lovely way of describing this. I listened to this on CD last year during one of my marathon solo drives, and it really stuck with me. Still does, months later. It isn't like it's great literature, and I would be hesitant to recommend it to anyone, but I just fell into that story and couldn't force myself to climb out until the very end.

I think I'll borrow Mad Jenny Flint's idea and post a running list:

1. Bel Canto

2. In Cold Blood

3. Joy in the Morning, Sister Carrie

4. Sense and Sensibility

This week's was a re-read for me. I always love Austen. The only problem is that I've promised myself I won't count more than one re-read in a row, and reading one of these always makes me want to go on a binge and read the rest. But I will stick to my resolution. I will!

I think Utopia is next for me. My minister mentioned it in a sermon a couple of weeks ago, and I realized I'd never read it. So, off to the bookstore I went, and it is now sitting on my shelf awaiting my attention.

I finished Renovation of the Heart by Willard. It was a very dense read, and I had to read many parts more than once, so I didn't think I could finish it in a week. Fortunately (I think), I had some sinus problems this week which required Sudafed. Since Sudefed wires me up, I was able to get in more reading at night.

My next book is Keeping House: The Litany of Everyday Life by Peterson. It's a much lighter read, so I may be able to start book #6 early.

I'm really enjoying this challenge, and I can't believe how much reading I'm getting done. I'm hopeful that I will keep it up throughout the year.

Ooh...you guys make me go to my library site and reserve the books YOU'RE reading!

I'm just about caught up with you guys:

1. The Preacher and the Presidents (Billy Graham)

2. Hamlet (w/ Brightest Heaven of Invention alongside)

3. Eclipse

4. Breaking Dawn - I have 100 pages left

5. Up next....20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

I must say I loved Twilight, thought New Moon was ok but have been really disappointed with Eclipse and Breaking Dawn. I am hoping that last 100 pages redeem the series for me...we'll see. I'm looking forward to some more quality reading, though.

Finished book 6 on Monday - Lucy Gayheart by Willa Cather - and wrote some thoughts in the post for last week.

Began book 7 yesterday - My Mortal Enemy by Willa Cather. Reading much Cather these days as a request for my dh and ds to stop at library for me (as I've been sick) to get one Cather novel resulted in them bringing me three collective volumes!:) So I will read a few more before returning the books. Fortunately, our library signs books out for a month.:001_smile:

My running list:

Churchill and His Generals

Troublesome Young Men

Broken Honor

Knight's Fee

Dark Summit

Black Wave

Guilty

Four Against the Arctic

Homeschooling Your Struggling Learner

Darkside

Their Finest Hour: the Battle of Britain

Cherry

One Bullet Away

Choosing Naia

Outliers

Margaret, what did you think of Outliers? I've not read any of Malcom Gladwell's books, but I recently read a few of his articles and saw a very interesting interview with him.

Have you also read Talent is Overrated (by Geoff Covlin)?

I haven't posted any reviews in a while. I need to do that. In the last couple of weeks I've read two more Vince Flynn books, The Third Option and Separation of Power. Today I finished The Da Vinci Code for the 3rd time. Does that still count?

If you started reading The Da Vinci Code for the third time this year, then yes it counts. I've read it twice and gotten something different out of it each time. Good book. Look forward to hearing what you have to say about the Flynn Books. Something else to add to my wishlist. :)

I can't believe I'm keeping up! I finished Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister after it took me about 120 pages to get into it. The twist at the end was very interesting. I can't say whether I really liked it though. It was kind of dark and not my style.

Maguire's books are rather dark. Reading Wicked satisfied my curiosity about the books. Probably won't read anymore of them.

I will read Second Touch by Thoene this week. I read book one of this series in week one of our book a week challenge with mixed feelings but I'm promised the series becomes addicting and I have access to the first three so I will read them.

Rose, they do become addictive. I love the a.d. chronicles and will be reading the 8th one soon. Her zion chronicles are also good - historical fiction about the nazi takeover and life during those times. Sometimes hard to read, but well done.

This week am reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and am so far very entralled and really liking his style of writing.

I'll be reading The Book Thief soon so look forward to hearing what you thought about.

By the way - this is for anyone - how do you quote more than one person a post, so can answer or talk about more than one thing, like I did above with 3 separate posts. I haven't figured that out yet.

I finished the biography of Marie Antoinette and have come out a bit more sympathetic towards her. I also read 'The Eagle's Daughter: War and Romance in the Holy Roman Empire," by Judith Tarr. I feel so much more respectable reading romance novels if they are disguised as historical fiction :D I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. I've got two more of hers lined up, so will be interested to see if they are just as enjoyable or if they get a bit 'samey.'

:)

Rosie

I recently finished book #3 The Nevending Story. The movie covers the 1st half of the book. Once I hit that point, I couldn't get myself to continue reading for awhile. But, I'm glad I picked it up again. The second half is where Bastian's character is developed and where he learns many lessons about how to continue living (not just existing) without his mother.

I finished Your Child's Growing Mind by Jane Healy. Also read Cod: The fish that changed the world (Kurlansky) and Mister Monday and Grim Tuesday (Nix).

Next up, either The Good Earth (Buck)or The Magic Thief (Prineas).

I feel terribly behind...oh no that feeling again ;). I have started the Grand Canyon book almost two weeks ago and haven't finished yet. I am waiting for my library to get "Stitches in Time". Hopefully I'll have it by next week and will be done with this one.

Well, I finished Interred With Their Bones on Thursday. whew. I didn't have last Sat. to read and that really threw me off. Because of that I am reading The Man in the High Tower(?) I think that is the title. I was afraid to start Climbing Parnassus(sp?) b/c I didn't start until Fri and wanted to get back on track. I liked the book I read well enough, but I am sure I missed a lot b/c I am not much of a Shakespeare scholar. I do have to say that the ending was a bit of a surprise. Thanks for all the book selections. I just keep taking them from the weekly thread. By golly I may just read 52 books this year.

The Bell at Sealey Head

Alphabet of Thorn

Od Magic

In the Forests of Serre

Coffe, Tea, and Me

The Tower at Stony Wood

I think a cummulative list will work better for me, too, because I can already tell that I'm not going to be posting every week.

This week I read The Music of Dolphins by Karen Hesse. It is a children's book, but my children are too young for it. Or too old for it. I like this book for lots of reasons. I reread it every season. It is a book that ends the way it should. Usually books like this don't, and I hate them and wish I had never read them. When I read it, I am Mila, and I remember how important the sea is to me, remember my summer-life on the sea, and remember how important music is. I remember why I am not all the way grown up, when that gets inconvenient. I remember that I deliberately chose to be this way, and why. I remember why I like animals better than humans, except my own humans. Dr. Beck reminds me how important it is as a mother not to be like her; and as a teacher, when being like her is a necessary evil, she reminds me to do what is necessary but to find an ending place where I stop doing it and tell everyone they did a good job and they can do something else now; and as a parent how to see my children as my family and not as a project. I know the book is entirely unrealistic, but that doesn't matter; it still reminds me how to be and how not to be.

-Nan

I finished Prey for a Miracle by Aimee Thurlo and thoroughly enjoyed it. Will be reviewing it soon and posting it on the 52 books blog

While reading Sunday Salon entries this week came across two wonderful essays about reading and reviewing.

One - an essay by Virginia Woolf titled the love of reading. I posted it on the 52 books blog.

John Updike who passed away recently came up with 6 rules of reviewing, 31 years ago. Makes for interesting reading at this link

Enjoy!

Edited by Mytwoblessings
correction

Yeah, I finished week 5 early! Read The Man in the High Castle. It was a hard start b/c I don't really know much about I Ching and it was bogging me down, but once I got going. Wow, this was really some book. I have to say I wasn't ready for it to be a philosophical treastie(sp?) but it really made me think and I could probably read it several more times and get something new. Very interesting. Now to get out my hiking boots and take this extra time to get up Parnassus.

I FINISHED A BOOK!!!:party:

I'm in the middle of 3 others so I'm doing pretty good!:D

I finished The Three R's by Ruth Beechick. It was just the pick-me-up I needed for this time of year. It gave me good focus for staying the course.

I'm hoping to finish Big 10 and Beautifully Made by the end of this week.

GOOOOOO ME!

Darnit, I'm still behind! I finished my third book, A Life That Says Welcome by Karen Ehman (I think). I was reading the bio and apparently she homeschools - does anyone know her?

I'm about halfway through my audio book, Moscow 1941, and I'm a third of the way through a book written by a Russian author that I'm really slogging through. My mom bought it for me for my birthday so I feel obligated to finish it.

I'm also a few chapters in to The Art of the Public Grovel. I think I could read anything written by SWB. My favourite quote so far is something about Bill Clinton's cigars being "where they ought not". Oh, my.

I think I'll take the Dave Ramsey approach and grab the book I'm closest to finishing and just *read* it until it's done and then grab the next book.