Menu

Colored pencil question

Melissa B

I went a head and splurged for quality markers and pencils. We bought the big box of prismacolors and ds (and I) both loved it. They have lasted and lasted. There are certain ones that get used more and there for need to be replaced, but you can buy individual replacements of the name brand pencils.

Also, we bought a set of water color pencils and they were loads of fun too. They were purchased as a part of a course, and I don't remember what the brand was, but I think they got them through dick blick.

Our experience with art supplies has been that quality makes a big difference in performance and thus enjoyment

Guest Alte Veste Academy
She is artsy, but she is also nine! Is it worth the extra money at that age - or no?

The others are right when they say there is a huge difference and the more expensive ones last longer. However, I look at my kids and see how their personalities will play a bigger part in the materials I buy them. My perfectionistic son has NEVER left a cap off one of his expensive markers and always puts them away properly in their case when he's finished with them, but my daughter... Oh. My.

I would not hesitate to spend the money if I know that the materials will be appreciated and properly handled but I would not if I knew they were destined to be left on the floor to be chewed up by the dog. Only you know your daughter. My daughter knows she has to earn the privilege of the nice art materials. My son knows to hide his fancy markers. :001_huh:

I would say yes, though that is probably partially because of the many years I spent studying Waldorf education (in Waldorf schools, children use artist quality materials from the earliest ages). Also, my family is German, and growing up, I was only ever given quality Lyra & Stockmar materials. I developed a passion for art from an early age, though whether it's because of the materials I can't say for sure.

There is absolutely a difference between student grade and artistan products. Many artist-quality products will last much longer and contain more pigment, thus producing more vivid colors. You can also do a lot more with them. Allowing a child to use the best materials will generally enable a finer finished product which will encourage their creativity (or that's the theory anyway!). We use Lyra & Artemis pencils (and sometimes Caran D'Ache for watercolor), Stockmar and Stone crayons & paints, etc. Provided that you teach your child to respect the quality supplies, many of them will last for a very long time, thus providing a return on your investment.

We splurged on a box of prismacolor pencils this fall. They make a huge difference! My children often request the "good' pencils because they see the difference as well. I probably won't spend the $$ on the cheap ones anymore, but save for the good ones. Honestly, the way the color lays down w/ the prismacolor is just yummy! Even my husband and I have had more fun drawing w/ the children using the good pencils.

The pencils are put up though and aren't to be used w/out permission. They've handled them really well though so they are now allowed to use them w/out me being right there to supervise!

We've used the good quality Prang, available through Rainbow Resource. The cheaper Prang pencils (and other locally available sets) just weren't worth it. The better quality pencils last longer, are easily to use, don't break easily, and have a richness of color unequaled. The cheap pencils have such hard "lead" that they leave only a pale color on the page; they break easily, and don't even feel right in your hand to encourage you to want to use them.

Cheap pencils aren't worth it if no one is willing to use them. Warmly, Lori D.

You can definitely see the difference. Prismacolors are much richer, creamier. They go on smooth and can go from loose granular to dense saturate without a hiccup. The end wear better, they're sturdier, just all around a better product. That being said, Prang are okay, better than Crayola hands down, and they're way cheaper. My daughter is artistic as well, but she uses Prang for now.

Paper matters too. Just saying.

We have PrismaColors for "school" stuff, two really cheap brand sets that are almost all worn out, one set of Crayolas that my daughter uses for "everyday" coloring, and one new set of erasable Crayolas that we really like for certain projects where we like to be able to erase and recolor.

Each has its own use and purpose. We will definitely go through a set of Prismacolors in one school year or less. Several are down to nubs already.

We like the Lyras too, although we also have some Prismacolor and Caran D'Ache too. The color goes on much better, darker and bolder. They don't sound scratchy either. Since they are thicker than normal, they also haven't broken (ever) even though we've had some of them 10 years.

It's definitely worth it for me. I haven't bought the drugstore variety in years.

The Prismacolors are so MUCH better than the Crayola. I 'paint' portraits with colored pencil, and you just cannot achieve the color or coverage with the cheapies. If you visit our blog you can see what the good ones can do :) Definitely worth the money. I also advise to invest in an electric pencil sharpener.

It's funny that this is posted today bc I spent probably half of our art time sharpening and sharpening our Crayola's. Finally I told my ds to forget it and we ran to the store and bought an electric sharpener bc I figured that was the problem....maybe I should buy some better pencils....:tongue_smilie:

Buy the better stuff.

I took a watercolor painting class and bought the cheap paint and cheap brushes and cheap paper and I couldn't get my paintings to look anywhere near as nice as the people in the class who bought the good stuff. It wasn't a matter of talent at that point. It was the materials.

My passion for painting waned, and looking back, I think it was because I couldn't get the desired result because of poor materials.

It is definitely worth spending the extra money on Prismacolor and the Prang Professionals aren't to bad either. My kids never liked using colored pencils until we invested in the better quality ones. Prismacolor markers are very nice too.

My oldest is an artist and I just about had heart attack when I saw the price of the set of markers she wanted for Christmas. Copic, even nicer than the Prismacolors, but you definitely pay for the quality. We paid $160 for a 36 peice set:ohmy:, but as a serious she takes very good care of her materials so we see it as an investment in her future.

We like the Lyras too ...

It's definitely worth it for me. I haven't bought the drugstore variety in years.

Another vote for Lyra from our household. We started with the LYRA WALDORF SUPER FERBY PENCIL set of twelve and have since added pencils a few at a time as stocking stuffers or for a new school year, etc. They are my teen's favorite pencils and get a lot of use.

Regards,

Kareni