Menu

What would cause an otherwise healthy 10yo boy to suddenly...

...start wetting the bed again? He doesn't do a "full" wetting but the last two nights he has started to and it woke him up so he finished in the bathroom, changed his clothes and went back to bed.

- yes he goes before bed

- yes we limit fluids later in the evening

- no there have not been any major changes in his life recently

- no major illnesses

Any ideas?

Is he thirsty? Crabby?

Maybe he's sleeping harder for some reason. Maybe he has a UTI. Sometimes the first sign of diabetes is excessive urination. If he using the toilet frequently?

Definitely crabby.

UTI? Diabetes? YIKES. I wonder how many times it needs to happen before I take him to the doctor or if this is normal and just a phase?

Up until I was around 12 years old, I would wet the bed when ever I got an ear infection. Sometimes, that was the only way mom knew I had one. And I have noticed with my little ones, they pee their pants with an ear infection. That might be totally random, but it could be worth asking if he is having any ear pain...

OK, now I am worried. I looked up Type 1 diabetes and he has most of the symptoms (not weight loss though). But all the rest, yes....irritable, lethargic, hungry, dark circles under his eyes, etc. I figured he was just in that nasty prepubescent stage.

We have very little family medical history to draw from. My husband is adopted so we have no history from his family and my father was out of the picture before I was born so I have only medical history for my mom's side of the family.

My dh is taking him to the doctor for a urinalysis and blood glucose test right now. At least with that we can rule out UTI and check his blood sugar. I'll update after we get the results. Thank you so much for the heads up.

But, on the possibility of diabetes, I think that if it is early in Type II diabetes, the urine test and the glucose test can miss it. What you would need is the HbA1C test, I think. That measures average blood sugar over several months, so it's not just a snapshot in time. The Glucose test is a snapshot, and the urine test has a fairly high threshhold, meaning that the disease is only found by that test if it is pretty advanced.

But, on the possibility of diabetes, I think that if it is early in Type II diabetes, the urine test and the glucose test can miss it. What you would need is the HbA1C test, I think. That measures average blood sugar over several months, so it's not just a snapshot in time. The Glucose test is a snapshot, and the urine test has a fairly high threshhold, meaning that the disease is only found by that test if it is pretty advanced.

OK, need to look into that as well. I hope this was just a freak incident and not something serious.

Are you sure it's urine and not nocturnal emission?

as your ds10, Heather. I was wondering, too, if it could be nocturnal emissions (figure you won't turn shades of red mentioning this the 2nd time 'round!:tongue_smilie:)

Can we compare some other notes? I also eliminated the obvious, as you did in your initial post. My ds is crabby lately, too, and has gone through major growth spurts. No bags under eyes, no weight loss - healthy weight gain, actually.

So, I'm thinking GVA and Cadam are on to something here? Does anyone else have any ideas to add?

I wasn't worried about my ds's behavior b/c my first thought (after it happened 2-3 times) was what MeanestMominMW also mentioned.

Thanks. Glad you brought this up, Heather.

:svengo:

Seriously, I just turned 8 shades of red when I read that. I am SO not cut out for raising boys. Isn't it too early for that? Please say yes. :o

There is a range of ages in which puberty can occur/start to occur. 10 is not too young. Nothing to faint about, it has to happen sooner or later....we all just hope it is later, right?:)

Well my ds (only 6 yo) has had Lyme disease several times (Yes, several!) and each time he starts wetting the bed again. It eases up after a month or two. What I am thinking is that other sicknesses might set that off?? Also, I have found with both my boys, when they go into a new stage developmentally that it can start up various surprising things.

Does he remember if he is dreaming when it happens?

I've never wet the bed since I was a small child....so imagine the shock I got a few months ago when I awoke right when I was beginning to pee!! At first I thought it was AF before I made it to the bathroom.....but that really scared me since it was a huge gush. Finally, I figured out that it was urine. I was a bit worried since I had never done that before. However, later that day I remembered that I was dreaming that I was sitting on the toilet. Hence the fact that I began to pee. Then, about a month later it happened again....and again I remember that I was dreaming I was sitting on the toilet.

Weird, I know! It has not happened since. And no, I'm not pregnant or anything either LOL. So I was just wondering if he remembers if he's dreaming when he begins to wet the bed.