Menu

A question....what do Christians think of the new Green Bible?

Well, I had not heard of it but have mixed feelings. As it seems to be a solid translation of the Bible. It is good that it is recycled. And actually I think it could be a nice devotional Bible for a year to see all God has said about our Earth and taking care of it. BUT.... I am bothered that the only emphasis seems to be on the Earth... to highlight text about the Earth in green and not highlight Jesus's words or any other instruction seems out of balance and puts the Earth as the focus instead of God. God's Will for us most certainly does include taking care of the Earth but so much more... and this seems to make everything else secondary. God said love God first, and neighbors second. He said to love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, and strength. This Bible seems to put the emphasis instead on loving the Earth. And frankly that could be dangerous.

Even so, since it is actually God's Word and not a perverted version of it, I can not get toooo worked up about it without having actually seen it. Studying God's Word is a good thing... and this is an aspect often overlooked. There are many versions out there for all sorts of devotionals, but God must always be at the center.

I am former Baptist turned Traditional Catholic. I find that a Green Bible is just a marketing tool. It's no different from the blue jean youth Good News Bible I was given when I was fourteen. I prefer a plain Bible. But the publisher is smart to put out a product that catches the current hype of our time.

This is the first I've heard of it, too, but after reading your post I read a bit about it. In a nutshell, I see it as more marketing hype. I say "more" because the market is already ridiculously saturated with bells-and-whistles Bibles. I mean, we wouldn't want the BIBLE to actually speak for itself now, would we? We've gotta include a myriad of essays and quotes from other people. We need one for Dads and one for Moms and one for Teens and one for People Who Chew Gum While Reading (versus those who don't).:tongue_smilie:

Aside from that, I don't prefer the NRSV translation, and I don't care for having any text (even the words of Jesus) highlighted, so those two things alone would dissuade me from purchasing this even if I was interested.

I'll tell you, though, one thing I do like about this Bible. It's manufactured using recycled paper, and it's printed in the United States. The vast majority of Bibles on the market are printed in China. What irony.

Well, I had not heard of it but have mixed feelings. As it seems to be a solid translation of the Bible. It is good that it is recycled. And actually I think it could be a nice devotional Bible for a year to see all God has said about our Earth and taking care of it. BUT.... I am bothered that the only emphasis seems to be on the Earth... instead of God. God's Will for us most certainly does include taking care of the Earth but so much more... and this seems to make everything else secondary. God said love God first, and neighbors second. He said to love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, and strength. This Bible seems to put the emphasis instead on loving the Earth. And frankly that could be dangerous.

Even so, since it is actually God's Word and not a perverted version of it, I can not get toooo worked up about it without having actually seen it. Studying God's Word is a good thing... and this is an aspect often overlooked. There are many versions out there for all sorts of devotionals, but God must always be at the center.

This is the first I've heard of it, too, but after reading your post I read a bit about it. In a nutshell, I see it as more marketing hype. I say "more" because the market is already ridiculously saturated with bells-and-whistles Bibles. I mean, we wouldn't want the BIBLE to actually speak for itself now, would we?

I'll tell you, though, one thing I do like about this Bible. It's manufactured using recycled paper, and it's printed in the United States. The vast majority of Bibles on the market are printed in China. What irony.

I agree w/ these two assessments :)

I tend to collect different tyopes of bibles as i find them at the thrift stores, so I'll keep an eye out for this one too.

Well, I had not heard of it but have mixed feelings. As it seems to be a solid translation of the Bible. It is good that it is recycled. And actually I think it could be a nice devotional Bible for a year to see all God has said about our Earth and taking care of it. BUT.... I am bothered that the only emphasis seems to be on the Earth... to highlight text about the Earth in green and not highlight Jesus's words or any other instruction seems out of balance and puts the Earth as the focus instead of God. God's Will for us most certainly does include taking care of the Earth but so much more... and this seems to make everything else secondary. God said love God first, and neighbors second. He said to love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, and strength. This Bible seems to put the emphasis instead on loving the Earth. And frankly that could be dangerous.

:iagree: Like you said, there are some good aspects of it, but it also is a sneaky way of not making Him number one.

It's all about the "green" going from your pocket to the seller's. And there are just enough fad-driven, gullible Christians who will gobble up this nonsense.

It's pretty sickening to think that we have so many needless translations of English Bibles, when there are so many people groups around the world that lack even a New Testament in their language.

Well, I'm a Christian, not particularly conservative (I think conservative Christians would say definitely not!), a tree hugger, and a recycler, but not the greenest person either.

I don't see why the green letter edition would be any worse than the words of Christ in red. I don't think the red letter editions have been done too carefully and they sometimes get it wrong. I would find it annoying to read either. The colored print is a strain on my eyes.

I like the printed on recycled paper in the U.S. part. That's groovy.

I prefer the KJV because that's what I'm familiar with. I don't know much about the NRSV.

I don't much care for commentaries and I really do not like people coming at the Bible with their own slant, looking to prove what they already believe. That's my concern about this Bible, though it's no different than my concerns about any of the other specialized Bibles marketed to various target audiences. Can't people be content to write separately about how they apply their Christian beliefs and values to whatever (being green, being African American, being a woman, being an Appalachian American--don't laugh; all these Bibles exist) and just print plain ol' regular Bibles? It doesn't confuse me. I know which part is God's Word and which is man's opinion, but I fear some are more easily misled. Perhaps that's the intent.

I don't see why the green letter edition would be any worse than the words of Christ in red.

IMHO it's not the same. One points to the creator and one points to the creation.That being said I don't like red letter Bibles. In general I don't like it when the Bible is "marketed" to a particular group. A "green" devotional is fine.

This is the first I've heard of it, too, but after reading your post I read a bit about it. In a nutshell, I see it as more marketing hype. I say "more" because the market is already ridiculously saturated with bells-and-whistles Bibles. I mean, we wouldn't want the BIBLE to actually speak for itself now, would we? We've gotta include a myriad of essays and quotes from other people. We need one for Dads and one for Moms and one for Teens and one for People Who Chew Gum While Reading (versus those who don't).:tongue_smilie:

Aside from that, I don't prefer the NRSV translation, and I don't care for having any text (even the words of Jesus) highlighted, so those two things alone would dissuade me from purchasing this even if I was interested.

would not buy this because I tend to think of it as "hype". Honestly, I could have a Bible that could be completely multi-colored: we could have the words of Christ in red, words pertaining to taking care of the earth in green (which really, any thinking Christian should be aware of that), words pertaining to heaven in blue, words pertaining to kingdoms or governments in purple, perhaps words pertaining to animals in orange or brown, and so on. And, Karenciavo is right: the words in red pertain to the Creator; the words in green to the Creation. I think that when we're properly related to the Creator we will also try our best to take care of the creation. Does that make sense?

This is very sad, and also very true. How sad that many of these Bibles are printed in China, but I believe that many Chinese are still not allowed access to one for themselves.

ETA: I believe a good understanding of Scripture includes a view of our being caretakers of the earth; not that we do it perfectly, but that we try. Also, my point is essentially that there are so many important topics in Scripture that to take just one aspect of it and highlight that aspect does not do justice to the whole tenor of Scriptures. I would be more open to a green devotional, or a book addressed to Christians on the topic.

Edited by Michelle in MO

I agree wholeheartedly.

Honestly I begin to bristle at the mention of "green" anything because it has become such a marketing gimmick. And marketing gimmicks in Christian merchandise have come to dominate the field. I like older editions of just about anything. I don't like things to come pre-highlighted with sidebars. Similarly I can't stand to read Usborne and DK books because of the way they jump around - they give me a headache.

Where do we stop? Can we have all the colors of the spectrum? Are the words of Jesus still in red? What about when his words related to the Earth? Striped red and green? How about alternating red and green letters, it will look like a Christmas Tree. How about adding pink when women are mentioned, blue when men, purple when royalty is mentioned and orange when conflict is cited?

I am an environmentalist but this is plain stupid. It is fine to demonstrate that we should protect the Earth and I do not doubt that there are biblical references that can show this, but let us keep that for the Bible studies, sermons and daily devotionals.

This is simply a gimmick and I feel that the Bible deserves a little more respect.

This thread is the first I've heard of it, but my initial reaction is that this might be an interesting version to have in my library, but it would not be my choice for my reading/studing Bible.

If I wanted to study what the Bible had to say about environmental issues, I think being able to page through the Bible and easily find the scriptures that pertained to the subject would be more convenient than looking up those scriptures from a list published in a separate book. And I would prefer reading those scriptures in context than reading an essay on environmentalism in which they were quoted.

But in general, I prefer not to focus my daily reading and studying on any one issue. And, like other posters, I prefer other translations.

Guest Virginia Dawn

I can't seem to find a nice plain Bible of any version, or for less than $30 (on sale) for that matter. A few years ago you could walk into a Christian bookstore and get a Bible for $5-$10 dollars.

I went looking for a new Bible in December and was apalled at how inaccesible it seemed to be for someone of limited funds.

I could care less if it is "green" or purple. Hopefully, in these new days of monetary awareness, when people don't have so much money to spend on frivolous nonessentials, Bibles that are affordable for the masses will again be printed for common distribution.

Looks like just another creative way to take the focus off Christ on onto something else--in this case, creation itself.

:iagree:, wholeheartedly! I think that sums it up very well.

I've no problem with a study put together on what God says about our charge to be the caretakers of creation. It might make a good study guide. However, I have a problem with an entire Bible marketed (a key word here! ;)) to draw one's attention away from it's main message: Jesus Christ. Somebody is simply trying to make money or advance an agenda here...one that places the earth above its Creator.

I can't seem to find a nice plain Bible of any version, or for less than $30 (on sale) for that matter. A few years ago you could walk into a Christian bookstore and get a Bible for $5-$10 dollars.

I went looking for a new Bible in December and was apalled at how inaccesible it seemed to be for someone of limited funds.

I could care less if it is "green" or purple. Hopefully, in these new days of monetary awareness, when people don't have so much money to spend on frivolous nonessentials, Bibles that are affordable for the masses will again be printed for common distribution.

Do you ever stay at a hotel or motel that has a Gideon Bible? You can always take that one.

(Every year or so, the Gideon Society comes and delivers a stack of new Bibles, one for every room and a few extra--and takes all the old ones away. It always seems like such a waste, as the old Bibles almost always look brand new.)

well, you can get KJV Bibles at the Dollar Tree, and I have picked up no less than 5 nice study Bibles at the thrift stores just this past year - two Ryrie, an NIV life application, a teen Bible, and a chronological daily reading one. I've also picked up a couple of Strong's concordances as well as other religious books. I pick up others when i see them and pass them on to friends or let my guys trade out the one they are using. And I've left quite a few on the shelves for others to buy ;)

i think i remember seeing a 'basic Bible' at the regular B&N or Borders for under $10.

So i think Bibles ARE accessible to those w/ limited funds, but NOT at the 'Christian Bookstores.' Which is wrapped in more irony....

Guest Virginia Dawn

I've never seen Bibles in the thrift stores I frequent, and the local warehouse bookstore had tons more variety than the Christian bookstore, but the variety was mostly of the specialty type. I guess I'll have to keep my eyes open and look in more places.

I don't believe that the whole "green" movement is biblical. I would not buy an Bible that pushed such nonsense.

Not that I'm the least bit opinionated.:D

I totally disagree. It is all in the stewardship. Christians haven't been doing their jobs of stewardship of God's Creation so others have picked up the cause and elevated it to worship.

It is a bit much to mark passages in green, though.

Stewardship of God's Creation isn't really a consideration for most churches.

At the church that we attend, they offer coffee in styrofoam cups. I suggested that we encourage members to bring their travel mugs. Everybody has them. Less money spent on supplies and less trash. We recently redesigned our bulletin so that parts of them can be recycled into new bulletins. Why print the same thing week after week, just to throw it out? It is just a shift in thinking.

I've never heard of it. I am what others would call a "conservative" Christian, theologically.

My thought are: There is nothing wrong with looking for particular themes in a work. There are Bibles for addicts, Moms, teens, etc with particular verse markings and commentary. So, the Green Bible is nothing new in that sense. I don't have enough information to make a judgement beyond that. The translation work is fine, and if you want to look for a particular theme in Scripture at a particular time in your life, there is nothing wrong with that. I would receive a work such as the Green Bible just fine, provided that the commentary and quotes show worthy and serious Bible scholarship. (Edit: I don't consider Brian McLaren and N. T. Wright to be credible or even orthodox Bible scholars, so this cause me to take a pass.)

It sounds like the author/editor has a passion for a particular branch of service: stewardship. I'm guessing that this thematic work is an attempt to wake up Christians to the verses that some of us have been ignoring for so long. I believe that the Earth is the Lord's, and that it is sinful to ignore our responsibility to steward this gift, especially when ignoring stewardship is due to greed or laziness. To prove this point, it would be handy to have a Green Bible around.....if I could get one without the commentary!

Edited by Tami

Sure, it's marketing hype. But I think such a product has a place and serves a purpose.

The green lettering allows readers to quickly see and assess verses supporting biblical reasons to appreciate, respect, and conserve Creation. The green is simply a time-saving tool.

Some readers may not give much weight to nurturing the environment--may not see that responsibility as applying to them at all-- unless they feel it's biblically-directed, which I believe it is.

As for the green lettering taking away from the focus on God and Christ, I disagree. I think it'd take more than some colored print to do that--Father, Son and Holy Ghost are clearly the stars of the show afterall. That's hard to miss no matter what the print or marketing slant.

It's great that it's printed on recycled paper; everything should be nowadays. And it's terrific that it's printed in the US. We need the jobs and economic tax base. It don't think there's anything ironic about most bibles being printed in China or anyplace else, though. Judeo-Christians live in all countries on earth. And Christian or not, all people on earth are God's children and part of God's creation.

Anything that helps more people act conscientiously and responsibly toward the environment gets a thumbs up from me.

Thanks for staring this thread, Astrid! Very interesting.

I'm not Christian or green but it seems to me that the really green thing to do would be to keep the Bible you already have that's working for you rather than consuming a brand new bible.

:lol:

ITA! I think it's best for someone to hold onto the Bible that they're already using, or that works best for them, instead of trying to buy all different kinds of thematic Bibles. There are probably many books available already on the topic regarding care and concern for the environment. BTW, I'm not at all making fun of caring for the environment, because I truly believe that we are called to be good stewards of this earth. But, I really prefer Bibles without commentaries, and if I need to become better informed on a particular topic, there are many reference materials available for further Bible study on a particular topic.

Edited by Michelle in MO
additional thoughts

Some readers may not give much weight to nurturing the environment--may not see that responsibility as applying to them at all-- unless they feel it's biblically-directed, which I believe it is.

well, like Ellie mentioned, we all have different ideas of nurturing and stewardship. Others might think you are being less than nurturing if you make a different decision about your child's/ earth's well being than we do ;)

It don't think there's anything ironic about most bibles being printed in China or anyplace else, though. Judeo-Christians live in all countries on earth. And Christian or not, all people on earth are God's children and part of God's creation.

are you aware of the Chinese gvt's position on Christianity and the availability of Bibles over there? What's ironic is not that Chinese people DON't need them, but that they DO need them and can't freely access the very materials they are making a buck on.

Peek a Boo, thanks for explaining the irony about China's printing and the lack of religious freedom there. I misunderstood the original comment and appreciate your well-termpered explanation.

However, I do disagree with the idea that "stewardship" should be up to one's own definition, that it's relative, that this issue is akin to individual parenting choices for one's one individual children. The issue is one of science and sustainability, not an I-gotta-be-me lifestyle choice;).

For the earth is *not* mine or my neighbor's or yours or any one person's. It does not belong to any of us and we have to decide collectively to act responsibly toward our mutual home and the future home of generations to come.

It is also the home of 1000's of other species who are being driven into extinction because their habitat is being destroyed by careless, prideful human choices.

Again, I see the green print as a tool to point out verses that support environmental respect and responsibility to people who otherwise would not look for them or who need a quick finger-tip guide to argue for a biblical perspective on environmental responsibility.

I do know Christians who feel that they do not need to care for or about the environment for a variety of reasons:

for example, God gave the earth to humans to command over, control and serve our purposes. The earth's submission is biblically ordained because humans are created in the image of God and God gave the earth to us.

or, the destruction of the planet is part of God's plan and nothing to worry about because soon the rapture will occur and Christ will judge the living and the dead and rule over the new kingdom.

Not every or even most Christians use these arguments againt preserving and conserving the earth. If a gimmicky green-print bible is what to takes to stir a few to be more aware of their environmental choices, then I'm for it.

However, I do disagree with the idea that "stewardship" should be up to one's own definition, that it's relative, that this issue is akin to individual parenting choices for one's one individual children. The issue is one of science and sustainability, not an I-gotta-be-me lifestyle choice;).

...except that there is debate in the scientific community about how different types of stewardship and sustainability really affect the earth. Be careful assuming that just because some people [not just some Christians] disagree w/ the popular scientific consensus on global climate change means we are on an I-gotta-be-me kick ;)

as i mentioned in my original response, I wouldn't necessarily toss this Bible, but I would absolutely want to get my hands on it and read the commentaries.

but, but, Zelda!! is there such a thing as too much scripture?? ;)

That I would not know. What I do know is that the green revolution has sparked a tremendous industry as people toss their perfectly functioning but old environmentally un-hip products in favor of new, expensive green alternatives. I think its been brilliant marketing but I can't help but feel a little wry smile creep up whenever I witness it. Which is a lot here in Northern CA.

Edited by Zelda

Not only can we make do with the Bibles we have, we can also find those same verses in those same Bibles...we don't need someone to highlight them in green for us. I can use ONE Bible to look up a variety things.

But everyone won't know how green you are if your Bible doesn't show it.

Maybe you could make a cover for it out of organic hemp that says, "I am not a plastic Bible".

That I would not know. What I do know is that the green revolution has sparked a tremendous industry as people toss their perfectly functioning but old environmentally un-hip products in favor of new, expensive green alternatives. I think its been brilliant marketing but I can't help but feel a little wry smile creep up whenever I witness it. Which is a lot here in Northern CA.

Kind of reminds me of when they started slapping "Zero Trans Fat!" on mayonnaise labels. (not comparing the Bible to mayonnaise, though I am a big fan of both)

Christians haven't been doing their jobs of stewardship of God's Creation so others have picked up the cause and elevated it to worship.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Stewardship of God's Creation isn't really a consideration for most churches.

Yes, this is embarrassingly true in my experience.

Peek a Boo, thanks for explaining the irony about China's printing and the lack of religious freedom there. I misunderstood the original comment and appreciate your well-termpered explanation.

Yes, my observation definitely was not intended as derogatory toward the Chinese! It is HUGELY ironic to have Bibles manufactured in a place where, and by people for whom, access to Bibles is limited (to put it mildly).

I do disagree with the idea that "stewardship" should be up to one's own definition, that it's relative, that this issue is akin to individual parenting choices for one's one individual children. The issue is one of science and sustainability, not an I-gotta-be-me lifestyle choice;).

:iagree:

But everyone won't know how green you are if your Bible doesn't show it.

Maybe you could make a cover for it out of organic hemp that says, "I am not a plastic Bible".

:lol: Yeah, well as I stated in another thread...I don't fit into anyone's box. So I guess I'll survive being unhip.