Menu

Anyone want to chat

I don't think I would be any fun just to chat with today, but I can try. 

One of my private homeschool students left home with someone, left his phone there, and no one knows where he is. He is 19 and was supposed to graduate this weekend, which is a homeschool group graduation that I plan to attend. I've taught most of the students in my math classes. 

I have one more online class and a student coming in-person this afternoon, so that will hopefully distract me from the situation. 

How is your day going? 

• Sad 12

Oh my... that is scary.  I hope he is found soon.   Been there done that with a good friend of mine. Praying this has as good an ending.

Going well. I've gotten a lot of work done:  Worked on the book review, worked on my newsletter that comes out in a couple of weeks...almost done, transferred a devotion from website to Substack, did a challenge for a writing group I am part of, done 3 loads of laundry, took hubby to get his shot (did a lot of that work while I waited for him), worked on my budget for March and April, texted a friend and of course, posted on here. 

Need to look at my list.  I am kinda tired of writing, though there is always more to do for that. 

Pain meds have worn off for hubby. So far he has been good and been doing is millions of emails he has for all of the mission stuff. 

• Like 5

I’ll chat. Just got off an almost 2 hour call with my dd21. We had a minor misunderstanding yesterday and needed to clear the air. So all is good now. Got up late so I’m behind in pretty much everything especially with the phone call.

• Like 7

Glad you cleared the air @fairfarmhand

Weary. Please don't quote this. Hubby made an ordering mistake for mission trip.  He doesn't know how he didn't catch it when he caught other things. The person taking the order should have caught it, but didn't.  It wouldn't have done any good for me to look it over as I don't understand the spreadsheet.  I am guessing he will have one of the docs look it over next time, but he is so much more detail oriented than any other doc that if he didn't catch it, I bet they wouldn't notice it either.    Then we had to talk over the legal issue, which still makes me furious and he is being taken advantage of... and it is going at a snail's pace and I am just not comfortable with it, but we have no choice at this point.  I am tired of talking through scenarios and changing scenarios and people flaking out etc.  

Had fun talking with daughter just now.  She just got back from buying some organizing supplies. She has been ruthlessly organizing/cleaning/throwing out her college stuff, room, and bathroom, which thrills me.  She will need to take some stuff to the summer stock, but she isn't sure what her room will even look like at this point and she leaves in 2 1/2 weeks.  Then she will need different stuff at Disney.  But fun to hear her excited. 

Ok, so hubby just walked me through the new order to make sure it all looked good, which I think it does. It just makes me so nervous...

Then we just got a new email from the lawyer, so we talked through all of that. 

Trying not to worry about the weather not that people int he other thread are telling me I should...

I need to find something fun to do, but don't know what.  

6 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Ok, so hubby just walked me through the new order to make sure it all looked good, which I think it does. It just makes me so nervous...

Then we just got a new email from the lawyer, so we talked through all of that. 

Trying not to worry about the weather not that people int he other thread are telling me I should...

I need to find something fun to do, but don't know what.  

Legal stuff is such a pain and takes F O R E V E R to get through. I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

I too need to find some fun. My dh has some medical stuff pending that will determine what we do over the summer. Could be some fun this summer or it could be appointments and such preventing us from having much fun. So I'm just kind of holding my breath till we figure it out. 

• Like 2

Today is different from my usual.  Been helping pack cooked food for an event.  Not sure whether my part is done or not.  The food smelled good and I was hoping to snatch one of the boxes for myself, but at the moment, I don't know that there will be any extra.

I also sent out a few client things, so it's been fairly productive.

What I don't love is that I had to dress the way women dress to be seen in public, which is uncomfortable for me.  And I have to sit on a chair, which is uncomfortable for me.  I'll be happy to go back home.

Meanwhile, I hope to clear a few more client to-do's and hopefully keep everyone happy-ish for now.

1 hour ago, fairfarmhand said:

Legal stuff is such a pain and takes F O R E V E R to get through. I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

I too need to find some fun. My dh has some medical stuff pending that will determine what we do over the summer. Could be some fun this summer or it could be appointments and such preventing us from having much fun. So I'm just kind of holding my breath till we figure it out. 

And isn't that the worst part...the uncertainty?  

Uncertainty is so hard!

My adventure of the day: ds15 calls from school to tell me he went to the school nurse because his throat hurt and she told him he has an abscess and he needs to see the dr today because it could spread to his lungs. The nurse never called me which really aggravated me. Yes, my ds is in high school, but he can’t take himself to a dr. Anyway, I found a dr with an evening appointment and got him in and there was no abscess. This is a much more boring story now that I have typed it out.

I’m certainly glad ds didn’t have an abscess, but that took up a good portion of my day. And I’m considering complaining to the principal tomorrow. If the nurse really thought he had an abscess in his throat, she should have called me. The note in the portal just says “sore throat.”

Im really not someone who complains because I figure people are doing their best and I don’t want to cause trouble. But it should just be a policy that if the school nurse thinks the student should see a dr, the parent should get a phone call.

I should be quilting, but I have had a horrible headache and allergy flare up today. So instead, I have been lazy and just puttering around while Beat Bobby Flay plays in the background. Lewis is eying me with annoyance because he wants to be outside, and I am not willing to take him walking. My head is pounding of my shoulders. Nothing I have taken for the pain has touched it.

One week from today we leave for Virginia to be official staff for the American Rocketry Challenge so I really do have things I need to get done. Mark had better cook when he gets home because I am NOT going to do it, and watching Bobby Flag has made me hungry for good food! That show is dangerous.

14 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I should be quilting, but I have had a horrible headache and allergy flare up today. So instead, I have been lazy and just puttering around while Beat Bobby Flay plays in the background. Lewis is eying me with annoyance because he wants to be outside, and I am not willing to take him walking. My head is pounding of my shoulders. Nothing I have taken for the pain has touched it.

One week from today we leave for Virginia to be official staff for the American Rocketry Challenge so I really do have things I need to get done. Mark had better cook when he gets home because I am NOT going to do it, and watching Bobby Flag has made me hungry for good food! That show is dangerous.

Uggh.. my daughter and husband suffer from allergies.  I am sorry. It is no fun at all.  We don't have cable, but when we travel in hotels or at my MIL we watch that show sometimes. It is really fun and yes, dangerous!!! Sorry about the headache.  Hope it goes away...  I can't think if I even have a tiny headache...  

Break a leg...or a rocket ( How do you say good luck??) at the Rocketry challenge.  So cool that you do that. 

Well after maybe an hour break from boxing dinners, we all walked over to the rec area and spent another hour handing the food out to some hundreds of people.  I demanded a "non public facing role," because I knew that if I had to talk to hundreds of people, I'd be exhausted.  So I did some assembly and organization in the background while other people did the glad-hand part.

Got home just in time for the 7pm webinar with my kids re their college orientation.  But I couldn't find any evidence that we'd actually signed up for the webinar.  I thought we did ... it was on my calendar ... so either I accidentally deleted the webinar link, or I never followed through.  And now the registration link is gone.  Which is fine, because apparently my kids weren't interested anyway.

I'm glad the business day is over for my clients, so I can chill for a while before being productive again.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

How are things for you?

Nothing much. Some wind and light rain. It went north and south of Nashville, but not through it. It silenced the cicadas for a while! 

I saw the big storms several states to our NW on the radar, headed this way. Ugh. 

Just now, ScoutTN said:

Nothing much. Some wind and light rain. It went north and south of Nashville, but not through it. It silenced the cicadas for a while! 

I saw the big storms several states to our NW on the radar, headed this way. Ugh. 

Yeah I’m not a fan of bad storms but especially at night….

• Like 1

@lovinmyboys when my neighbors’ kids might need to see a doctor, the parents don’t get called unless it warrants a trip to the ER level. I only get called by the school nurse for the K-3 level and that was for when my kid slip and fell and hit his head. For my country of origin, the parents get called only if the kid is too sick to take public transport home. Kids walk to take the public bus home from 1st grade.

l am having multiple events snowballing all at the same time.  Trying hard to stay upbeat and positive. Let's just get all the things happening all at once and get it over with. 

My health... Surgery not healing on the inside so am on extremely light duties

Not recovering from my illness as I was hoping to. The respiratory specilist at the appointment yesterday told me it is a slow progressive disease...... I didn't know that. I was under the false impression that l would get better

😲☹️😓😓

My ds25 was in a motorbike accident yesterday and sent to a major hospital by ambulance. Turned out he has just 1 broken bone in lower leg and is going to be fine.. but it was a stressful couple of hours

A very close relative is being discharged from hospital (serious mental health/ breakdown) and is very not coping and I need to go stay with them for a few days

The respite worker didn't show up this afternoon again. That will be the 6 th time in the last 4 weeks ( they have only turned up 2 times in that time period).  It really is the last straw. I am cross about this one. And the absolutely rediculous excuse her boss sent me is beyond a joke 

• Sad 9

I have so much I should be doing... I know. I know. I shouldn't say should. 😄 I have no motivation to do any of it and want to crawl in bed.  Hubby will come get me to walk in about 15 minutes.  Maybe after that I will feel motivated to tackle my list. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TexasProud said:

Uggh.. my daughter and husband suffer from allergies.  I am sorry. It is no fun at all.  We don't have cable, but when we travel in hotels or at my MIL we watch that show sometimes. It is really fun and yes, dangerous!!! Sorry about the headache.  Hope it goes away...  I can't think if I even have a tiny headache...  

Break a leg...or a rocket ( How do you say good luck??) at the Rocketry challenge.  So cool that you do that. 

Thanks!

In rocketry, "Godspeed", " Let's light this candle", and "Happy Launching" are some common phrases. Among some of us really techniques nerds, "Don't forget the RBFs!" RBFs are items that need to remain attached to the rocket until the launch window opens. So for Mark and I, we often launch our personal rockets with telemetry which means mini-flight computers that record basic data but also track and transmit the rockets location. This is because we do mostly high power rocketry and these rockets achieve anywhere from 3500 ft to 10,000. It can be easy to lose track of their trajectory standing on the ground staring up into the bright sky, and their drogue chute won't open until 1500 ft, with the main deploying at 400-500ft which means they spend a long time descending rapidly without the parachutes which are easier to spot than the rocket itself. Our avionics bay is activate by a small key which must be turned from the exterior of the rocket, and that key has a "remove before launch" tag hanging from it. We activate it before taking to the RSO desk (Range Safety Officer) to prove that our avionics is working, and then turn it off to save the battery while we wait for the field to open for loading. Once the rocket is on the stand, igniter secured, and everything looks good including the launch rod angle if we need to change that due to wind direction, then we need to turn that switch on and remove the tag. One time we forgot the RBF because we helping someone else also get their rocket onto the 1500 rail (a young teen girl who was very short and struggling to get the launch rail lowered so she could load) and walked off without the RBF. She launched with that piece of drag hanging on, and at some point, the key fell out. It was a mile high launch in a 2 square mile corn field with a stand of trees to the north. Guess who didn't find the key and had to change the avionics bay switch out? 

Oh boy. I just totally nerded out on everybody! 😂😂😂

🚀🚀🚀

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Oh boy. I just totally nerded out on everybody! 😂😂😂

🚀🚀🚀

I LOVE it!  One of the things I love doing is listening to someone talk about their passions.  That is one thing I really enjoy about traveling in the RV.  We heard a local potter talk all about his craft of the family business that was 75 years old. I loved talking to an antique bookstore owner, the chamber of commerce woman talk about her favorite spots in town (she was spot on for a local almond croissant...to die for in a place way off the road.)  So yeah, nerd out!  I LOVE it!

• Like 1

Tonight starts summer bowling league. I bowled on a kids league in jr high and have always liked bowling, but dh never would. Right before covid, I saw a Facebook post for our local alley and on a whim signed youngest two up. It has been a few years now and although they never got to competitive level, we have really enjoyed it. During the school year, ds13 bowls with a couple of friends he’s made. In the summer, we got the owner to start a noncompetitive league for mixed ages and my fil bowls on a team with dd17 and anyone else around to make up the third. Sometimes it’s me, sometimes dh, sometimes a sibling who is off that night. It is so much fun and ds13 has made a friend and some fun acquaintances. Plus it gets fil and mil out doing something not farm related with the grandkids. Everyone thought I was so weird to suggest this, but this will be our third summer!

Dh actually bowls better now that his site is impaired, haha. He did apologize for always blowing off my suggestions to go bowling or join a league when he got past the, i don’t know, stigma for lack of a better word, and let himself have fun.

• Like 3