Menu

Please tell me about reusing tea bags

Lecka

I have just placed another order for Tazo Wild Sweet Orange tea.  It is not available locally.  

I have never tried reusing tea bags, but I think I should since I’m now ordering tea from the Internet.  

How many times?  Do you squeeze out water?  Do you leave them on a plate and use the next day? 

I do this all the time with my cheap black tea bags. I usually use them twice. The second steep goes a lot longer, sometimes I finish my tea before taking it the bag. I rarely squeeze them out because they are hot and I'm using my fingers. It doesn't bother me if they wait over night, but it does complicate my caffeine ingestion system a bit. After the second use I put them in the compost bin and pat myself on the back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Catwoman said:

I never reuse teabags. Why would ordering them online be any different from getting them at a store in terms of having to reuse them?

For me it is the expense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I never reuse black teabags or squeeze them. I have reused green tea leaves since they are sitting IN the pot and I only steep those about two minutes, but I haven't tried it with green tea bags. Maybe it would work for herbal tea? If cost is an issue have you tried recreating the flavors you like for less? You could read the ingredient list and try blending your own with a loose leaf tea that you can get locally.  

• Thanks 1

Finely ground tea is designed to release a lot of flavor at once and dont have much flavor round 2. Teas that are made of larger components will taste ok round 2. I sometimes rebrew, but only when drinking back to back. I dont let much time pass due to my fears (perhaps unfounded) about bacteria.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

For me it is the expense.

Thanks! I hadn't even thought about that because the tea bags I buy seem to cost about the same whether I order them online or buy them in a store. Also, I like big mugs of fairly strong tea, so I usually use two tea bags to make one mug of tea, because one tea bag comes out kind of weak once I add milk to it.

• Thanks 1

Mark likes Candy Cane Lane tea which is a seasonal only tra that is hard for us to find. He orders a case and then uses every tea bag three times in one night. That last cup had to be steeped a long time, and is a little bit weak but he is determined to get every last drop out of those tea bags 😂

All other flavors of tea he uses twice.

I am trying to get him onto a tea ball and bulk leaves because he drinks a ton of tea, so it is an epic amount of tea bags going in the garbage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've reused teabags, i sat them on a saucer/tea-bag thing and let them dry - be aware the 2nd cup will not be as strong as the first cup even if you allow it to steep longer.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Mark likes Candy Cane Lane tea which is a seasonal only tra that is hard for us to find. He orders a case and then uses every tea bag three times in one night. That last cup had to be steeped a long time, and is a little bit weak but he is determined to get every last drop out of those tea bags 😂

All other flavors of tea he uses twice.

I am trying to get him onto a tea ball and bulk leaves because he drinks a ton of tea, so it is an epic amount of tea bags going in the garbage.

I love the same kind and get it from Walmart.  But I started just recently making my own Candy Cane Lane by just brewing a peppermint and green tea bag in the cup at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I love the same kind and get it from Walmart.  But I started just recently making my own Candy Cane Lane by just brewing a peppermint and green tea bag in the cup at the same time.

@Faith-manor -- Here's the link to Mark's tea on Walmart.com. 🙂 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Celestial-Seasonings-Holiday-Decaffeinated-Candy-Cane-Lane-Green-Tea-Bags-18-Count/26959253?from=/search

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lecka said:

I have just placed another order for Tazo Wild Sweet Orange tea.  It is not available locally.  

I have never tried reusing tea bags, but I think I should since I’m now ordering tea from the Internet.  

How many times?  Do you squeeze out water?  Do you leave them on a plate and use the next day? 

I’d only re-use if the tea was just as good the second time.

Quality over quantity for me. I’d rather have less cups of great tea than more cups of weak tea.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Adding:  I don't see any food safety concern if re-brewing within a day or two.   It's damp leaves.  No different than any other plain cooked vegetable  regarding food safety risk.  Also, preparation involves submersion in boiling water, further decreasing risk.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

FWIW tazo teas are my favorite.   I have a few varieties I order in boxes of 6 at times.  Target often has a decent price and will ship for free at $35. Its worth shopping around if you have to order online.  

• Thanks 1