Menu

What cool facts have you learned recently?

Terabith

In the last hour, I learned that Jupiter is 50 million years older than earth, and I also learned that astronomers speculate there's a layer of Jupiter's atmosphere where diamonds rain down.  

• Like 13

Does watching an amazing documentary count? I read the whole book about Shackleton’s trip to attempt to cross the Antarctic, but the 1.5 hour documentary is excellent, with the focus on Captain Worsley and his navigational skills. It’s called Shackleton’s Captain. It’s the most amazing survival story ever. I watched it last night in bed. Great documentary full of amazing facts!

• Like 9

That "gay furry hackers" have hacked a national research lab with the ransom demand being the lab start doing "IRL catgirl research." All of this is true, though they were apparently just kidding. My oldest is dying on a call with his boss as the boss is having to explain what furries are to the assembled scientists. This happened in the past but I'm just now learning about it.

https://www.them.us/story/gay-furry-hackers-breached-nuclear-lab-catgirl-research-demand

Edited by Eos
  • Haha 10

4 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

Does watching an amazing documentary count? I read the whole book about Shackleton’s trip to attempt to cross the Antarctic, but the 1.5 hour documentary is excellent, with the focus on Captain Worsley and his navigational skills. It’s called Shackleton’s Captain. It’s the most amazing survival story ever. I watched it last night in bed. Great documentary full of amazing facts!

His story is phenomenal in every format. Endurance was a great read.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Teachaheart said:

This morning I learned about the Egyptian plover that flies into the open mouth of a Nike crocodile and cleans its teeth. 

Nile the Crocodile and Glover the Plover is a picture book about this!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Terabith said:

WOW!  Is that because of something with the cows?

They graze all year, and possibly the type of cows. It’s natural beta-carotene apparently. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ikslo said:

They graze all year, and possibly the type of cows. It’s natural beta-carotene apparently. 🤷‍♀️

British butter is similar - year-round outdoor grazing in a climate where the grass doesn't die back makes a difference.  The grass doesn't grow much in winter, but cows can be rotated onto ungrazed areas and some hay containers put into the fields as a fairly natural supplement. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, ikslo said:

Eating grass/greens with carotenoids is also what makes pastured chicken egg yolks deep yellow or orangey in color. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2