Menu

Blizzard prep meal planning

Additional considerations if someone wants to advise me specifically: I have to do a weird colonoscopy prep starting tomorrow also for a week—no nuts or berries or seeded things (ground seeds ok for a few days), no red or purple foods. 
Dh cannot handle legumes or grains. Dairy is limited for him and a few others. 

I usually make 3 or 4 soups/stews in advance and then if we lose power, we warm them in our camp stove. I also make breakfast burritos and cinnamon rolls. We like to have cinnamon rolls or something similar when the first big winter storm of the season hits.

For my breakfast burritos, I brown cubed potatoes, diced red pepper, and onion in a skillet, then add some shredded spinach, stir till it wilts nicely, and then add the eggs, scramble it all of up (we also like garlic and red pepper flake in ours), warm the tortillas, fill, roll, and bag up for the freezer.

• Like 4

If you have a gas stove, there's really no prep necessary.  I insist we will always have a gas stove in our climate (Northern New England) for food security; we lose power *a lot* and it totally reduces my anxiety knowing we can make coffee and cook almost anything (other than baking) on the stove. 

Prepping soup is always great, but as long as you have gas you're okay. 

• Like 1

Chili, soup, spaghetti sauce—all in the freezer.  Plus jugs of water in the freezer, too.  

Then you can take out the jugs and put them in the fridge to keep that cold if the power goes out, and put the foods in a cooler full of whatever ice or snow you have outside, and pull them out one by one to use for meals.  They will keep milk cold for a while as wel.  Also, make sure to stock bread, butter, jams, maybe scones for variety, peanut butter. Then you’re covered for breakfast and lunch.  

Dried fruit is good any time.  Raisins, craysins, dried apricots, dried peaches, plum leather.  Chips or veggie chips are a welcome salty tidbit.

In my world we would make a ton ton of coffee in advance, because even cold medicinal tasting coffee is better than no coffee at all!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, MEmama said:

If you have a gas stove, there's really no prep necessary.  I insist we will always have a gas stove in our climate (Northern New England) for food security; we lose power *a lot* and it totally reduces my anxiety knowing we can make coffee and cook almost anything (other than baking) on the stove. 

Prepping soup is always great, but as long as you have gas you're okay. 

Yeah—this is more of a “everyone is going to all be home for a rare moment so let’s play board games and bond” moment.  I want nice food either way, iykwim.

Normally my kids would be scattered to various weekend activities. They may still be doing projects/work online if the power holds, but I bet I can tempt them away for a bit.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Make sure you’re not overly dependent on electric appliances.  Can you make coffee, open cans, and beat eggs without power?  If not, plug those gaps.  Get a Melitta coffee cone and some filters, an Oxo can opener, and a whisk and an egg beater.

We’re good on this front. I grew up on a remote ranch where we had multi-week outages every winter after big ice storms.

I am about to go dig around in the garage for our Mr Buddy heaters to keep our plumbing pipes warm if electricity goes. I wish we had a wood stove but Youngest has a severe wood smoke allergy so heat is actually our biggest concern. I still havent gotten around to getting a non-electric blower for our gas fireplace. Our solar generation today has only been 6.9kWh so there’s not enough to silo off of the grid and produce enough to do anything, and we still dont have batteries for our panel that I could fill up now to ease a gap.

I also need to find our tire chains and go fill up our vehicles.

Hopefully this prep is all for nothing, but if I dont do it we are going to get whammied, iykwim.

• Like 1

Ok, I am marinating chicken and shrimp for fajitas, and I will marinate some chicken thighs to grill with zucchini and I am precooking some chicken thighs for chicken and noodles (dh can have chicken + salad). I need to think about a few more meals since dh and kids all have Monday off, but I am making progress….

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

My costco is out of eggs, kale, and organic buttersquash and is selling 6’ tall propane tanks so Costco thinks we are doomed. 😂 Kale and wine are always big pre-storm sellers.

Mine hasn’t had Power Greens or any kale since October. 

We don't generally lose power in a blizzard, but have had many days of a rush grocery run ahead of a blizzard which might prevent shopping for 5 days.  

I tend to just make sure we have some basic meals with ingredients like greens, carrots, potatoes, meat, milk, bread, eggs, cheese, PB, bananas, dried beans, and frozen pizza 🙂 ... 

This is our second year living in a place where we lose power. We were living off peanut butter sandwiches and snack bars without power. Thankfully power is back on now but it's interesting to read this and have more ideas! We didn't prep firewood over the summer, lesson learned...

• Like 2

We have the wood boiler going with a frolicking fire so we have decided that for dinner, Mark is going to make buffalo chicken. We have these evil rack thingies we can use inside the boiler to make fast grilled items. He set aside a couple of prices of apple wood for the occasion. If we have to face 50 mph wind and 8" of snow plus a 1/4" ice on the roads, then we are going to eat fun!! I have blue cheese dressing and celery sticks, and I am going to make chocolate chip scones before any chance of power outage occurs. He has homemade ice cream setting up in the freezer. Bring it on! 😂

• Like 3