Menu

January 2024 sewing, craft, knitting, everything creative thread

I have anatomy that doesn’t lend itself to belts and have worn all kinds of dresses minus the belt over the years. Even the ladies in the shops say to leave off the belt and ignore the belt loops, lol! (I have a short torso and big hips—I look like I’ve been cut in half and had part of me replaced with another person’s parts.)

I think the first is whimsical, and they would both pass muster. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

A 1930s top and skirt. Which means skirt cut on the bias. I remembered while cutting the reason why I don't usually use 1930 skirt patterns is because they are cut on the bias and use so much fabric

The belt is not 1930s style. I thought it might be cute, but are now unsure. What do you think with or without the belt?

IMG20240114130709.jpg

Cute dress! I think the belt is cute too but they don’t necessarily look best together. The thinner belt seems to look better.

• Thanks 1

A couple of months ago, I finished the stitching for the top and bottom of a biscornu. I assembled it now, and it has lavender in the fill to use it as a sachet.

I improvised the plaid on the bottom because the bottom was a simplification of the top, and I like plaid better.

IMG_4411.jpeg

IMG_4412.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

On 1/15/2024 at 10:23 PM, Melissa in Australia said:

2 dresses for granddaughter. I am wondering if my mental confusion is getting worse. I did a lot of unpicking, Multiple times on the same seams

1705375374945421003242896895325.jpg

These are so adorable 🥰 Melissa

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, kbutton said:

A couple of months ago, I finished the stitching for the top and bottom of a biscornu. I assembled it now, and it has lavender in the fill to use it as a sachet.

I improvised the plaid on the bottom because the bottom was a simplification of the top, and I like plaid better.

IMG_4411.jpeg

IMG_4412.jpeg

Beautiful! I love the little beads. I would hate to put pins in this. 😀

• Like 4

You all do such good work! I mess around with cross stitch and knitting - I only knit rectangles and I make a lot of mistakes, but it keeps me in dishcloths. If I finish my current cross stitch, I'll try to figure out how to post a photo.  Just really came in to say wow to all you crafty people!

• Like 3

My latest batch of bookmarks.

Fronts:

20240123_121026.thumb.jpg.e3a208780c190f2e9ca2ade7054ce10a.jpg

Backs:

20240123_121042.thumb.jpg.e1b96dd05a313efb11427a159737bd31.jpg

The first bird bookmark is for a woman in my distant book group who admired an earlier bird bookmark that I had made.

The second is for a holiday letter recipient who, in her card, said about the bookmarks, "I want one!"

And the mah jongg/JD Robb mashup is for a friend who likes mah jongg and the ... in Death series by JD Robb.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Kareni said:

My latest batch of bookmarks.

Fronts:

20240123_121026.thumb.jpg.e3a208780c190f2e9ca2ade7054ce10a.jpg

Backs:

20240123_121042.thumb.jpg.e1b96dd05a313efb11427a159737bd31.jpg

The first bird bookmark is for a woman in my distant book group who admired an earlier bird bookmark that I had made.

The second is for a holiday letter recipient who, in her card, said about the bookmarks, "I want one!"

And the mah jongg/JD Robb mashup is for a friend who likes mah jongg and the ... in Death series by JD Robb.

Regards,

Kareni

I really like those birds bookmarks!

• Thanks 1

All of these latest posts are just wonderful! You are all doing great! I, on the other hand, am going slowly. I am working on a functional quilt/blanket. It is made of long strips of all the leftover flannel from making the scarves at Christmas for the adult kids' stockings. So it random themed flannel striped together, and then a 2 yard piece of green check flannel I found in my stash with scrap light green flannel of a different pattern sewn down each side for a back. It is NOT great. It is just a throw around blanket for our bachelors. The last time we visited, it obvious to us that they didn't have enough blankets. They were keeping the heat low to save money, and bundling up in the apartment, sometimes even wearing their coats and wool socks around. They turned the heat up as soon as we showed up, but it made me think, "put the other projects aside and make some blankets". It is also a good way to use up these narrow scraps that probably wouldn't be used for anything else.

IMG_20240124_091018.jpg

IMG_20240124_091027.jpg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

All of these latest posts are just wonderful! You are all doing great! I, on the other hand, am going slowly. I am working on a functional quilt/blanket. It is made of long strips of all the leftover flannel from making the scarves at Christmas for the adult kids' stockings. So it random themed flannel striped together, and then a 2 yard piece of green check flannel I found in my stash with scrap light green flannel of a different pattern sewn down each side for a back. It is NOT great. It is just a throw around blanket for our bachelors. The last time we visited, it obvious to us that they didn't have enough blankets. They were keeping the heat low to save money, and bundling up in the apartment, sometimes even wearing their coats and wool socks around. They turned the heat up as soon as we showed up, but it made me think, "put the other projects aside and make some blankets". It is also a good way to use up these narrow scraps that probably wouldn't be used for anything else.

IMG_20240124_091018.jpg

IMG_20240124_091027.jpg

What a great way to warm them with love 🥰

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

What a great way to warm them with love 🥰

Thanks! I love doing these things for the kids. Our bachelors also have on a scale of 1-10 "home decor" a -9! 😂😂😂 So we helped them pull together some Christmas decorations this year. They have nothing on their walls at all, and love to be very eclectic, represent their hobbies, and express humor. So once the quilt is done, I amount two wall hangings. One is a quilt panel cartoon character vikings I am just going to put a casing on the backing, sew to the panel, 3/4 way around, flip right side out, and then hand blind stitch the opening, iron, run a dowel through the casing, and give them two 3M sticky hooks for the wall. I will stitch around a few characters by hand to "quilt" the pieces together, but nothing extensive. I will do the same for the other which is a quilt panel of a chess board and pieces. Both panels were on deep discount at a quilt store because they were old stock. I paid $3 each, and have some cheap broad cloth I picked up for $2.99 a yard to use on the backs. I think I will have about $7 into each one which just isn't bad for making something decorative to spruce up the place.

I also then need to get into my scraps and figure out a table runner for them. My mom made them a Christmas themed one back in 2022. She gave it to them at Thanksgiving that year. It is still on the table....13 months almost 14. I said, "Boys. Have you been washing that every 2 weeks or at least every month and then putting it back on the table?" Blank expressions. Totally blank. Brainwaves trying to formulate an acceptable response. Finally, "No mom. Because we don't have another one to put on the table, and we would feel bad if the table was empty." Big grins from these goofs. So guess who is making a couple to table runners and washing the Christmas one next time I visit? 😁

Bachelors! 😂😂😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My January project is 1/2 completed. I make 8x8 albums for each  of my grandkids. Usually it ends when they turn 5.

our youngest turned 5 this week. As I worked on her albums, I realized I was going to have to make 2 albums for  her!

Album 1 is done and she will get it Sunday when we celebrate her birthday. Album 2 will be finished when I get Christmas 2023 and her birthday photos printed…when I get to it…We haven’t actually had Christmas yet due to illness . 

Needed to clear the multipurpose work table so we can work on taxes….

IMG_3904.jpeg

IMG_3906.jpeg

Edited by KatieJ
  • Like 6