Menu

Least Shelved Book 2023

Amethyst

I’m going to do this again this year. I enjoyed seeing everyone’s last year. 

If you do Goodreads, what was your Least Shelved Book of the year?

Mine was David Guterson’s The Final Case. David Guterson was one of the influences to help me decide to homeschool (or maybe he convinced me to stick it out that first year), so I have a soft spot in my heart for him. I’ve read several of his books. This one had good writing, but it didn’t quite come together for me. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Kareni said:

I don't use Goodreads, so I have a question. How can you determine whether a book has been shelved?

One of the books I (re)read this year was A Hotel Is a Place ... by Shelley Berman. I suspect that it might not often be shelved.

ETA: Ah, I found the information under Statistics. It's been shelved 14 times.

Regards,

Kareni

Wow. 14 times. That might be a record. Did you enjoy it?

• Like 1

Oh bummer, I never put in dates, just mark books as read once I finish them so no dates show up and then no books show as shelved this year.

I usually read a book in one day so just never bothered with putting in dates or that it was in progress.

Now I’ve realized there’s no way to separate books out by each year that way. (This was my first year using goodreads) 

• Like 2

This was a fun thread last year. Thank you for bringing it back.

Mine was Two Sherpas. Shelved 1,189 times. It's an interesting little book (at 200 pages was oddly not my shortest book). The entire book takes place over about a 15 minute period in the minds of...two sherpas. The British climber they were accompanying has fallen onto a ledge but that's not the point of the book. Instead we learn about the lives of the two very different men, one young one older (though it seems not old).

14 hours ago, Junie said:

Alexandre Dumas' version of The Nutcracker.  I really enjoyed it!

I had no idea this exists.

12 hours ago, Kareni said:

One of the books I (re)read this year was A Hotel Is a Place ... by Shelley Berman. I suspect that it might not often be shelved.

ETA: Ah, I found the information under Statistics. It's been shelved 14 times.

Wow, this looks like a difficult book to find yet all the reviews I see say it's hilarious.

• Like 1

A Fire at the Exhibition (A Lady Hardcastle Mystery #10) by T.E. Kinsey. Oddly enough, this book also shows up in my stats at the highest rated among readers. (I guess out of the books on my shelf)

ETA: the above was my LAST, not my least lol. My LEAST shelved book was Dead Hot by MK Coker. 334 people shelved it. 

Edited by mmasc
Can’t read without reading glasses
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Hilltopmom said:

Oh bummer, I never put in dates, just mark books as read once I finish them so no dates show up and then no books show as shelved this year.

I never put a date in. Once I’m finished, I mark the “I’ve finished this book” box. Date is entered automatically.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 4kidlets4me said:

I can't figure out where to find the least shelved book on Goodreads.

@Amethyst gave you one answer.

Here's another. Bring up the book of interest. So, for the book I mentioned above:  A Hotel Is a Place ... by Shelley Berman.

Then, click on Book details and editions.

Scrolling down, you'll see Book Statistics; the information is included there. It seems that you do have to sign into Goodreads to see that information.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Amethyst said:

6 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

Wow, this looks like a difficult book to find yet all the reviews I see say it's hilarious.

Regarding  A Hotel Is a Place ... by Shelley Berman:

Yes, I did enjoy rereading the book as I grew up in hotels. My father was a hotel manager, and this is a book he would give disgruntled guests.

I've owned a copy for many years and decided to make it the focus of a bookmark for my sister. It's a Christmas gift, and I'm looking forward to learning her reaction. I'll attach a picture for you.

Front (a bookmark for The Martian is along for the ride):

20230825_104911.thumb.jpg.09cbbee4b0bdffe8bc1b4cecd5d25a1b.jpg

and back:

20230825_104923.thumb.jpg.b721ca3f70dbfdf0a6a43e6bc608996f.jpg

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Amethyst said:

I have one this year that no other people shelved! A zero!!! It was Skipping Village: A Town of not so Very Long Ago by Lois Lenski. 

It just hit public domain this year, so I read it online for free, but it was a very rare/htf book previously. 

Lenski was a prolific author, but this was one of her first books.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Amethyst said:

I never put a date in. Once I’m finished, I mark the “I’ve finished this book” box. Date is entered automatically.

But do you enter it when you start reading it? That puts a date in.

I don’t enter a book name until I’m done and then I click “mark as read”. My way doesn’t record a date.

My least shelved book is The Two-headed Whale by Sandy Winterbottom (shelved 134 times). It was a follow up to Moby Dick, and showed how much more destructive whaling in the Antarctic became in the 20th century as technology improved. I thought it was really interesting, but there were a lot of different threads to follow, which sometimes made it jumpy.

Edited by Eilonwy