Menu

FAFSA Releasing as "soft launch" ETA: FAFSA release to colleges delayed until March

cintinative

I think this is code for "it will be extremely buggy"

https://fsapartners.ed.gov/knowledge-center/library/electronic-announcements/2023-12-15/2024-25-fafsa-soft-launch-details-and-timelines

"During the soft launch period, the Department will be monitoring site performance, conducting planned pauses for maintenance, and making updates to improve the user experience for students and families. . . If a student completes their FAFSA form, but a contributor cannot access the site during a period when the site is unavailable, the contributor can return to complete their portion of the form as soon as the site becomes available again. Any data entered in the form is still in the system and is secure. . . . If FSA initiates site maintenance while a student or contributor is completing an application, they will be able to continue until they have completed the form."

Edited by cintinative
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, kokotg said:

I'm still getting the planned maintenance message. Ugh. I think all except one of his schools have the CSS already, so they really should have plenty of information (looking at you and your delayed FA package, St. Olaf!)

UGH.

We really want to get our stuff in soon also because there are some need based scholarships that we might have a 1% chance of qualifying for 😁

• Like 1

On the FB page everyone is saying it has been down all day.

Someone mentioned they are filling out the paper form and mailing it https://studentaid.gov/sites/default/files/2024-25-fafsa.pdf

I suppose if I get desperate I could do that, but I imagine then we would be waiting for their staff to data enter everything.  I thought I'd share though just in case someone is running up against a more strict deadline. 

"Fafsa Error Means Less Financial Aid From Families"

(I'm working very hard to follow the principle that "if you can't say something nice, just say nothing at all."  #fafsaFAIL 😞 I'm) mostly irritated for some very hard-working students I'm close to who are actually significantly affected by the "small" differences in aid. 😞 WHY are we rushing to roll out a program that is obviously NOT ready for prime time? . . . Oh, wait, never mind. )

• Sad 2

17 hours ago, kokotg said:

no luck here, either. We got ready by paying off our big post xmas credit card bill and getting that money out of our checking account, though! 

Oh, I just realized that I should have waited until the payments I  made Monday cleared. With the holiday, they weren't reflected.  UGH.  Oh well. Hopefully this helps someone else though!!

• Like 1

So I was able to update our financial info fortunately. I am glad because like the other poster mentioned, I just paid our December credit card and several other large bills  

My son finished his today. It took me awhile to get back in but I did get in and finished. 

• Like 2

We managed to get one of the two submitted, but it's still calculating the SAI , it tells us. Also, the estimator told me he'd get a pell, but the e-mail they sent him says he doesn't appear to be eligible for one. BUT ALSO it says it's still verifying his SSN, so maybe it thinks he can't have a pell because it thinks he doesn't have a SSN? who knows? (I wouldn't have been shocked if he didn't get one; we're down one dependent this year and our income was slightly higher, but the estimator showed him getting a bigger one than his brothers have gotten, so it got my hopes up. Also it should only really matter if he goes to our in-state public; all his other schools would be mostly institutional aid anyway). Other kid is just for a renewal of FA, so I'm not as worried about his getting done anytime soon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, historically accurate said:

We got in and did it on the first day, but we've heard nothing since then. It's still submitted and under review. Ugh... 

Same. Unfortunately after we submitted I discovered an error and they said we have to wait until it is done being reviewed. I am worried that will be the end of the month.  

Anyone catch this on NPR? https://www.npr.org/2024/01/09/1222664638/fafsa-student-financial-aid-college They were supposed to change the income allowances to adjust them for inflation, but they...forgot? at any rate, it didn't get done, and now they're trying to decide if they should fix it this year or just have people not get as much FA as they're supposed to get. Wonder if THIS has anything to do with why it's saying DS won't get the pell the estimator says he'll get? What a mess.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, kokotg said:

Anyone catch this on NPR? https://www.npr.org/2024/01/09/1222664638/fafsa-student-financial-aid-college They were supposed to change the income allowances to adjust them for inflation, but they...forgot? at any rate, it didn't get done, and now they're trying to decide if they should fix it this year or just have people not get as much FA as they're supposed to get. Wonder if THIS has anything to do with why it's saying DS won't get the pell the estimator says he'll get? What a mess.

I saw a reference to this on FB in one of the threads but it wasn't as reliable of a source as this. Wow. I don't understand why they didn't just delay the rollout.  UGH.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, kokotg said:

Yes, that's the link posted upthread. Frustrating, FAFSA people.

• Thanks 1

We did it today. There was no IRS data retrieval tool, so we entered all tax info by hand. Is that one of the changes they made? If so, that seems less complex programming-wise than before, and I don’t understand all the delay in rolling it out if that’s the case. We didn’t have any issues, though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kokotg said:

Crikey.  That is a no-brainer.  And probably illegal not to fix.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MerryAtHope said:

We did it today. There was no IRS data retrieval tool, so we entered all tax info by hand. Is that one of the changes they made? If so, that seems less complex programming-wise than before, and I don’t understand all the delay in rolling it out if that’s the case. We didn’t have any issues, though.

You're sure you did the 2024-25 form? My understanding is that there's ONLY the IRS retrieval tool now; it's impossible to bypass it and enter things yourself.

• Like 1

I was able to log on and submit today, but it didn't ask me about assets at all. I did give permission for the IRS retrieval, but I don't know if I missed something or what. This is my first time doing FAFSA.

14 hours ago, kokotg said:

You're sure you did the 2024-25 form? My understanding is that there's ONLY the IRS retrieval tool now; it's impossible to bypass it and enter things yourself.

Yes. It was so weird. Dd is independent, so there was no parent portion, only her’s, but it made her fill in 2022 tax info manually and had a tool telling which tax doc lines corresponded to each question. She was independent last year, too, and the questions were definitely different than that and than all the other years we’ve filled it out. Maybe the retrieval tool was down when we did it, but there wasn’t even a box to check that as an option!  

I talked with someone else who was also prompted to fill in manually! 

Edited by MerryAtHope
  • Like 2

Question. . . I'm new to the FAFSA this year (well, from the parent side!) but DS1 is considering his options for the fall. It looks like right now, for the 24-25 FAFSA, I would use 2022 income? If I wait to fill out the FAFSA until after we file our 2023 taxes, would I use the 2023 income instead, or is it 2022 income regardless? One may be more advantageous than the other, so if I do have the choice, I want to make sure I do it right. 

Edited by happypamama

1 hour ago, happypamama said:

Question. . . I'm new to the FAFSA this year (well, from the parent side!) but DS1 is considering his options for the fall. It looks like right now, for the 24-25 FAFSA, I would use 2022 income? If I wait to fill out the FAFSA until after we file our 2023 taxes, would I use the 2023 income instead, or is it 2022 income regardless? One may be more advantageous than the other, so if I do have the choice, I want to make sure I do it right. 

I am pretty sure the lookback is two years. So you would still use the 2022 income for 2024-25 FAFSA even if you had filed for 2023 taxes.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cintinative said:

I am pretty sure the lookback is two years. So you would still use the 2022 income for 2024-25 FAFSA even if you had filed for 2023 taxes.

Ah, okay. Thank you so much! I had not gotten that far because I was just using the estimator since I hadn't talked to my kiddo yet, and the estimator did not make that clear.

On 1/10/2024 at 7:04 PM, amiesmom said:

I was able to log on and submit today, but it didn't ask me about assets at all. I did give permission for the IRS retrieval, but I don't know if I missed something or what. This is my first time doing FAFSA.

Quoting myself here because I found out why I didn't have to report assets. I checked the box stating that a member of our household receives free school lunch, which my (public schooled) kids do, as does every kid in my state attending public school. So that's interesting. I don't know if once they retrieve my IRS information I will be asked to provide my assets based on our income or if we will be exempt. 

1 hour ago, amiesmom said:

Quoting myself here because I found out why I didn't have to report assets. I checked the box stating that a member of our household receives free school lunch, which my (public schooled) kids do, as does every kid in my state attending public school. So that's interesting. I don't know if once they retrieve my IRS information I will be asked to provide my assets based on our income or if we will be exempt. 

This has come up a lot on college confidential; the question is poorly worded...you're supposed to answer yes to that only if you're financially eligible for free lunch, not if you get it because everyone in your school/state/whatever does.

1 hour ago, kokotg said:

This has come up a lot on college confidential; the question is poorly worded...you're supposed to answer yes to that only if you're financially eligible for free lunch, not if you get it because everyone in your school/state/whatever does.

Well, hopefully I can fix it later. I have read differing opinions about this, some say check the box if you get free lunch for any reason, others say only if you would income qualify.

Our school is a title one school so we often get the benefits of that even though our income wouldn't qualify us. For instance, we get free SAT testing and were able to get free college applications, etc. So I felt like I was supposed to check the box 😬

My ds is a college junior. He started it yesterday and added me as the parent so I got sent the link from the student aid site and I was able to go in a complete the few questions it had for me. It then said I had to send it to my spouse to complete so I entered dh’s email. Dh, however, never got an email link to complete anything and when we logged in with his info we couldn’t find the 2024 FAFSA ds had started so that was confusing. Then ds said he finished it and got his EFC so I guess we didn’t need Dh to do anything after all? 

So it was kind of confusing. I don’t remember having to loop my dh in on the process in the past so I’m not sure what that was about. Maybe I hit something wrong to generate that. It isn’t a huge deal for us because ds’s scholarships aren’t need based but he does need to complete it as a formality. Hopefully we got it all done correctly. 

2 minutes ago, cintinative said:

@teachermom2834 wow, ours haven't even been processed yet. I need to go in and revise stuff but they won't let us until after it is processed. 

Do you and your dh file taxes separately? 

No we file jointly. 

Maybe we did something wrong. I would have been much more on top of things with my older boys who got some financial aid from their schools. Would definitely be really stressful waiting for results. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teachermom2834 said:

No we file jointly. 

Maybe we did something wrong. I would have been much more on top of things with my older boys who got some financial aid from their schools. Would definitely be really stressful waiting for results. 

It shouldn't have needed your husband to log in if you file jointly. Hopefully you didn't do anything wrong.  😃 I just wish ours would process. I kind of doubt we will get anything financial aid wise but it is awful knowing I made a mistake and I can't fix it.  

We've finally gotten both submitted! (my current college kid kept getting a "this form did not save" error, so I logged in and went back to the beginning and clicked through, and the error stopped popping up). And it says HE should get a pell, even though it told my senior he wouldn't. But it didn't actually calculate the SAI for senior when he did it (said "still calculating" or something). There's no reason one of them would get a pell and the other wouldn't (senior has slightly less in savings than the older kid, and that should be the only difference). So--question! Is there a way to go back and see if they've finally finished calculating the SAI for my senior NOW? Or do they just never tell him if they don't tell him right away? It won't show my anything on my end, and I don't know if there's somewhere on his end that he can find it.

30 minutes ago, cintinative said:

If the internet is to be trusted, no one is getting the SAI until the end of the month, and those who have received it, received it in error. 

huh! interesting! I ended up starting a chat today, and one person offered to try to find the SAI for me and then the chat timed out. When I started another one she said she couldn't do that, but when I said my other son had his SAI and this kid didn't she said, "I understand but occasionally it is not able to calculate it and you have to wait until the form processes to be able to access it." Which suggests that they're pretending most people are getting the SAI like they're supposed to. This is such a mess.

• Sad 2