Menu

FAFSA Releasing as "soft launch" ETA: FAFSA release to colleges delayed until March

cintinative

😞

https://www.help.senate.gov/ranking/newsroom/press/ranking-member-cassidy-sounds-alarm-over-biden-admin-delaying-fafsa-information-harming-students-access-to-financial-aid

“The Department of Education had three years to prepare the rollout of the updated FAFSA. Their inability to do their job has real consequences for students and families. These unacceptable delays from the Biden administration creates the real likelihood that many students will forgo college because they cannot choose a school without knowing their eligibility for student aid.” (Cassidy)

• Sad 3

On 3/11/2024 at 7:21 PM, Lucy the Valiant said:

😞

https://www.help.senate.gov/ranking/newsroom/press/ranking-member-cassidy-sounds-alarm-over-biden-admin-delaying-fafsa-information-harming-students-access-to-financial-aid

“The Department of Education had three years to prepare the rollout of the updated FAFSA. Their inability to do their job has real consequences for students and families. These unacceptable delays from the Biden administration creates the real likelihood that many students will forgo college because they cannot choose a school without knowing their eligibility for student aid.” (Cassidy)

Surely schools will have to extend their decision day due to the lack of financial info?

ours both still say "in review," but I noticed that one them says it was last updated yesterday. Which is interesting, since I can't get in there to update it myself...have no idea who's doing this updating...

1 hour ago, ScoutTN said:

Surely schools will have to extend their decision day due to the lack of financial info?

UGA has extended their deadline to May 15. All DS's other schools are CSS schools, so we've gotten FA packages from his other acceptances already

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kokotg said:

UGA has extended their deadline to May 15.

UGA is May 15 for in-state students only.  OOS is still May 1.  That's a little bit mean IMO, given that there could be OOS students on the bubble for Pell grants.  But that's not our situation, and maybe the official federal aid estimator webpage is accurate for Pell grant eligibility.  (And presumably everyone will know actual Pell grant status by May 1 . . . right? 😳)

Edited by jplain
  • Sad 2

18 minutes ago, jplain said:

UGA is May 15 for in-state students only.  OOS is still May 1.  That's a little bit mean IMO, given that there could be OOS students on the bubble for Pell grants.  But that's not our situation, and maybe the official federal aid estimator webpage is accurate for Pell grant eligibility.  (And presumably everyone will know actual Pell grant status by May 1 . . . right? 😳)

ah, right--I forgot about that! Yeah, I don't really understand the reasoning behind only extending for Georgia residents. I guess pell-eligible students are more likely to stay in-state, at least for public schools? I dunno. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ours was processed last week. I was worried that the changes to business ownership reporting would ding us hard but I can't tell if it made any difference. Now we'll wait for the aid offer to see if anything really changed.

• Like 1

The Atlantic had an article about the effects of the FAFSA snafu a couple of days ago. It's looking pretty dire:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2024/03/fafsa-fiasco-college-enrollment/677929/?gift=r2MxgRZsFI80CskTMvE9soVPcok5ib04iDxVQrviqO0&utm_source=copy-link&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share

I've gifted the article so everyone should be able to read it (hopefully, this is the first Atlantic article I've gifted.)

The lowlights:

Now most students can at least fill out the application, but the overall situation remains disastrous. The department has processed more than 4 million forms, but 2 million remain in bureaucratic purgatory. And although colleges have at last begun receiving the information that allows them to calculate student-aid awards, issues keep cropping up. Many schools are reporting dramatically higher error rates than usual in submitted FAFSAs, and the Department of Education says that students won’t be able to fix their forms until early April. Last week, the department announced that its processing system had incorrectly calculated aid for about 200,000 applicants. Each mix-up delays when students find out how much aid they’ll get—which, for many applicants, determines where they will enroll or whether they can afford to go to college at all. Many colleges require that students enroll by May 1, potentially giving applicants just weeks or even days to decide where to attend.

Even more worrying are the students who might not enroll anywhere. According to Bill DeBaun, the senior director of data and strategic initiatives at the National College Attainment Network, 31 percent fewer high-school seniors have submitted the FAFSA compared with this time last year—a potentially missing cohort of 600,000 students. That’s a larger decline than occurred in any year during the pandemic, and it’s disproportionately clustered among schools with high shares of low-income students, the exact people who are least likely to go to college without financial aid. Another 2 million adults, mostly current college and graduate students, have yet to apply for the upcoming academic year. “Every time you establish any kind of a barrier to college access, it leads to a permanent drop-off in the number of applications,” Mark Kantrowitz, a financial-aid expert, told me. With declining enrollment, small colleges with high rates of low-income or minority students could fall into financial peril, Fitch Ratings warned earlier this month.

“We’re absolutely going to see a decline in students going to college,” Laitinen said. “The question is how catastrophic it will be.”

• Sad 4

On 3/18/2024 at 11:13 PM, kokotg said:

ours both still say "in review," but I noticed that one them says it was last updated yesterday. Which is interesting, since I can't get in there to update it myself...have no idea who's doing this updating...

I can't help it --- this made me laugh out loud. I had this mental image of the Minions hopping into our FAFSA accounts and mucking around. 

Have to laugh, or we will cry, right? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Another FAFSA error. 😲 🤬😭😬

Official announcement: https://fsapartners.ed.gov/knowledge-center/library/electronic-announcements/2024-03-29/potential-issue-alert-reports-concerning-tax-data-and-2024-25-fafsa-form-updated-april-1-2024

Article:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/01/politics/fafsa-problem-financial-aid-award?cid=ios_app&fbclid=IwAR02DuiLsDbmNMvEdqk_nD0LnVUScpWxXfbC-pGlI_mP5lg5gj9-o_KeRaY_aem_AfA-n4J4aZnrNtszqEcMDq67zUpbV8zNoFUDX-j3ITR1Z1HYGzvviQPjJCmcF_fIkAoGWGNjnOEKF0eeOk9SwJp-

The Department of Education has found another problem impacting some college financial aid forms that could further delay students’ aid awards, leaving them in limbo as they decide where to enroll next year.

The problem involves tax data transferred from the Internal Revenue Service and impacts “fewer than 20%” – or potentially about 1 million – of the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) forms previously submitted by students and families this year, the department said Saturday.

It’s possible that colleges received inaccurate information about some families’ finances after those applicants submitted the FAFSA to the Department of Education.

Edited by cintinative
  • Sad 4

21 hours ago, cintinative said:

PSA I was able to revise our FAFSA today. So relieved.

hooray! 
My girl needs to reach out to FA at our school to ask what they need. In our FAFSA dashboard, we don't see anything that needs to be done, yet the schools dashboard states 'missing documents'. 😞

• Sad 2

On 4/13/2024 at 7:29 PM, historically accurate said:

Well, we just got word that DD's FAFSA was one that was messed up. College is waiting - hoping to get us some information on package within 3 weeks. We shall see what happens.

Did the school let you know, or Fed Financial Aid or ??

33 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

School let us know. We haven't heard anything from Federal about the error.

Ugh.  I was hoping if the feds knew about an error, they would not rely on the schools to communicate about it. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cintinative said:

Ugh.  I was hoping if the feds knew about an error, they would not rely on the schools to communicate about it. 

This is what we received from Coe College:

With over 30 years of experience in financial aid, I have worked with thousands and thousands of families to assure that their college education is affordable. I, along with my colleagues, know that financial aid plays a critical role in the decision-making abilities of a family, and we support that wholeheartedly.

Your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) submission has been received at Coe College. However, the Department of Education (DE) has alerted us that your application is one of the many applications that must be reprocessed because of a federal system processing error that resulted in an incorrect Student Aid Index (SAI). DE will initiate the reprocessing once they’ve corrected their system, and you do not need to take any action. The reprocessing of your application is causing a delay in providing you with a financial aid offer from Coe College. In addition, if you listed any other colleges on the FAFSA, they are also delayed in getting accurate information from the DE about your eligibility for financial aid.

We anticipate receiving your reprocessed application with the corrected SAI within the next couple of weeks. We anticipate being able to provide you with the most accurate financial aid offer within three weeks.

Your patience throughout this process is very much appreciated. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this additional delay may cause and will be sure to reach out to you as soon as we have your official offer. If there are any other developments from the DE, we will reach out to you directly about your financial aid and how best to navigate any other issues. Of course, we are hopeful and have every intention of assuring you have your offer from Coe College soon.

Please know that we take your financial investment in your college education seriously. We are here to support you as best we can and invite you to reach out to us as you have questions or concerns.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My son's FAFSA had shown processed towards the end of March and he had a SAI number. Now it is showing submitted two days ago with changes and his SAI went up $2,500. 🫤 We didn't submit any changes. 🤷‍♀️ Wondering if that will affect the one school he has a financial aid package from already. That school also uses the CSS profile, so I'm hoping not since he received a significant grant offer.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, VAMomtoboys said:

My son's FAFSA had shown processed towards the end of March and he had a SAI number. Now it is showing submitted two days ago with changes and his SAI went up $2,500. 🫤 We didn't submit any changes. 🤷‍♀️ Wondering if that will affect the one school he has a financial aid package from already. That school also uses the CSS profile, so I'm hoping not since he received a significant grant offer.

Crossing fingers for you, but given that it is a CSS Profile school, I wouldn't be worrying about it at all.  They had all the necessary info (and then some) with the CSS Profile, and I assume that pkg was offered before the school saw an SAI anyway.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Are any schools delaying decision day due to the FAFSA nightmare?

Many are. The three states schools my son applied to in VA are all extending to May 15th

Edited by VAMomtoboys
  • Like 1

On 4/22/2024 at 1:07 PM, VAMomtoboys said:

Many are. The three states schools my son applied to in VA are all extending to May 15th

University of Kentucky extended to 5/15 as well. No word from WKU. 
I haven't heard anything from friends who are going to other schools yet. 

• Like 1

On 4/16/2024 at 8:26 AM, historically accurate said:

This is what we received from Coe College:

With over 30 years of experience in financial aid, I have worked with thousands and thousands of families to assure that their college education is affordable. I, along with my colleagues, know that financial aid plays a critical role in the decision-making abilities of a family, and we support that wholeheartedly.

Your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) submission has been received at Coe College. However, the Department of Education (DE) has alerted us that your application is one of the many applications that must be reprocessed because of a federal system processing error that resulted in an incorrect Student Aid Index (SAI). DE will initiate the reprocessing once they’ve corrected their system, and you do not need to take any action. The reprocessing of your application is causing a delay in providing you with a financial aid offer from Coe College. In addition, if you listed any other colleges on the FAFSA, they are also delayed in getting accurate information from the DE about your eligibility for financial aid.

We anticipate receiving your reprocessed application with the corrected SAI within the next couple of weeks. We anticipate being able to provide you with the most accurate financial aid offer within three weeks.

Your patience throughout this process is very much appreciated. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this additional delay may cause and will be sure to reach out to you as soon as we have your official offer. If there are any other developments from the DE, we will reach out to you directly about your financial aid and how best to navigate any other issues. Of course, we are hopeful and have every intention of assuring you
have your offer from Coe College soon.

Please know that we take your financial investment in your college education seriously. We are here to support you as best we can and invite you to reach out to us as you have questions or concerns.

This email is well written, and would be well appreciated in my book. ❤️ 

It's all sorts of shenanigans here. 

My daughter's student portal says FAFSA has been received by her school, but has 'missing documents'. WHAT DOCUMENTS?  Took screenshots, had daughter email FA, who said, "we'll let you know if we need anything else." 

I received an email from student billing about setting up payment plans --- why yes, I'd love to set up a payment plan, but would love to know what I'm expected to pay. My husband (who hasn't set foot on campus or had any contact with the school) got an email from FA about setting up a ZOOM call to discuss FA packages before registration. Great -- except her registration is set for 4/27 --- first available option for the FA meeting is 4/29. 

I'm trying to stay calm, but the uncertainty is rocking my world.

• Sad 6

On 4/24/2024 at 2:51 PM, MagistraKennedy said:

Great -- except her registration is set for 4/27 --- first available option for the FA meeting is 4/29. 

I'm trying to stay calm, but the uncertainty is rocking my world.

Wow, I had no idea you could register that early at some places!!  I don't think we will hear on FA for another few weeks at least.  I hope that somehow this works out for you all. It has to be super stressful. 

Dd (just finishing her freshman yr) says she can see that her scholarships have been renewed for next yr in her portal. I am not sure that is correct bc the semester isn’t over and they are gpa dependent. I haven’t logged into the FAFSA site since I did the form in January. 

Will look carefully at both of these things when she’s home before she leaves for her summer job.

Her money is not FA. All merit and not in any way dependent on FAFSA score, just that we filled it out. Some is from her uni and some is lottery money from our state.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 4

On 4/25/2024 at 7:29 PM, cintinative said:

Wow, I had no idea you could register that early at some places!!  I don't think we will hear on FA for another few weeks at least.  I hope that somehow this works out for you all. It has to be super stressful. 

Heck yes, girl. They gave students a preliminary schedule based on degree plan, dual credits, ACT scores, etc before we arrived. I gave my daughter my two cents about what I suggested, and reminded her she needed to hold space in the schedule for riding team practice. 

She went to registration armed with my suggestions, some of which her advisor agreed with, others they did not. Bottom line, we were happy with the schedule. As soon as she got home, she reworked the schedule again, keeping the same classes but just adjusting times, and sent an email off to her advisors and department head. Wooo, adulting! 

• Like 2

Update on our end --- it's looking better, slowly but surely. 

We had a financial aid meeting on Monday --- which basically said, "Hey, you're in the group of people whose FAFSA got reprocessed, so we're waiting to hear back. In the meantime, here's what you'll owe us. " 🤣 They plan to readjust once they receive word from FAFSA. 

BUT --- this morning, I signed into the state aid portal, and it had changed. It said "denied' a few weeks ago, now says 'FAFSA received, determining aid eligibility".  
So, it's moving. Snail's pace, but moving. 

• Like 6

@Eos Nothing here either but based on our SAI, I don't expect to be offered anything but loans at our target school because of my kid's scholarships. 

We did get an email from one college saying that if another college wants you to commit before you have the financial aid info, you should tell them to wait for you because "you are worth the wait"  

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, cintinative said:

@Eos Nothing here either but based on our SAI, I don't expect to be offered anything but loans at our target school because of my kid's scholarships. 

We did get an email from one college saying that if another college wants you to commit before you have the financial aid info, you should tell them to wait for you because "you are worth the wait"  

I'm sitting here laughing --- it sounds like they're taking potshots at each other. 🤣

• Like 1