Menu

Settling in

heartlikealion

15 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

That is crazy!

Yeah it really bites. I have at least 2-3 brand new ones here! I was trying to print a coupon and got the error. It was sent directly from the company via email so I doubt there’s a digital version. I have to go to the store today so whatever I won’t bother with the coupon. 

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

So apparently my hp instant ink cartridges won’t work now that I canceled the HP ink service. 🙄

The same thing happened to us. It's SO frustrating. I think we should be allowed to use what we have already purchased! I was in the middle of printing things for our daughter's wedding last spring when I suddenly couldn't print.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, iamonlyone said:

The same thing happened to us. It's SO frustrating. I think we should be allowed to use what we have already purchased! I was in the middle of printing things for our daughter's wedding last spring when I suddenly couldn't print.

You didn't purchase, though, you subscribed to have ink for however many pages you chose per month. You can't print at the end of your subscription, just like you can't watch Netflix at the end of your subscription. 

If they let people use up the ink they have anyway, then people would pay $5 for the lowest subscription, get the ink, and cancel. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, katilac said:

You didn't purchase, though, you subscribed to have ink for however many pages you chose per month. You can't print at the end of your subscription, just like you can't watch Netflix at the end of your subscription. 

If they let people use up the ink they have anyway, then people would pay $5 for the lowest subscription, get the ink, and cancel. 

I didn’t realize that was how that worked.  I’ve never been sure exactly how it works to be honest.  So you have INK sitting in your printer in your own home that is RIGHT THERE but you aren’t allowed to access it?    And people like this? And talk about it like it’s so amazing?    Holy cow.  

How are they talking to the ink to tell it not to print? Do they own the printer?   Are they communicating with your printer?  Holy privacy concerns Batman.  

Edited by Heartstrings
  • Like 5

That does make sense, katilac. We somehow completely missed that in the subscription information. It does make me cringe that all that ink that has been purchased is just thrown away. I wish they would allow x number of sheets to print and send a warning so that if people are up against a deadline they know to purchase ink before they are unable to print; however, we undoubtedly missed reading something when we signed up.

My subscription is over but I had a bunch of rollover pages and ink cartridges. 

The wireless printer keeps tabs on ink levels and pages printed. 

I just didn’t remember that the ink wouldn’t work after the service was canceled. I kinda wish I could use it since I had rollover pages. 

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Heartstrings said:

I didn’t realize that was how that worked.  I’ve never been sure exactly how it works to be honest.  So you have INK sitting in your printer in your own home that is RIGHT THERE but you aren’t allowed to access it?    And people like this? And talk about it like it’s so amazing?    Holy cow.  

How are they talking to the ink to tell it not to print? Do they own the printer?   Are they communicating with your printer?  Holy privacy concerns Batman.  

I do think it's amazing! It saves us a lot of money over buying ink cartridges, and I never have to be concerned about printing something with lots of color, because the subscription is by the page. It doesn't matter if the page has one word printed in black ink, or if it's a full-page photograph. I love never running out of ink and never having to try and find a good deal on it. 

You own the printer. Yes, they are communicating with the printer, that's how they know when you're low on ink and how many pages you've printed. It's completely your choice whether to use the service.  

Anyone with a computer or a smartphone most likely has multiple apps that are communicating with their device. 

1 hour ago, katilac said:

I do think it's amazing! It saves us a lot of money over buying ink cartridges, and I never have to be concerned about printing something with lots of color, because the subscription is by the page. It doesn't matter if the page has one word printed in black ink, or if it's a full-page photograph. I love never running out of ink and never having to try and find a good deal on it. 

You own the printer. Yes, they are communicating with the printer, that's how they know when you're low on ink and how many pages you've printed. It's completely your choice whether to use the service.  

Anyone with a computer or a smartphone most likely has multiple apps that are communicating with their device. 

Not owning the ink in my house would annoy the crud out of me.  You already don’t know oen your ebooks or digital movies, now not even ink.   Everything being a subscription is really getting old.    

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

But other subscription services that send you physical items don’t work that way.  Magazine subscriptions, meal plan subscriptions, monthly science kits, even our pest control service.  You don’t get additional service or shipments after the cancellation date, but you own the magazines, food, science kits, and mouse poison that’s already in your house.  

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Condessa said:

But other subscription services that send you physical items don’t work that way.  Magazine subscriptions, meal plan subscriptions, monthly science kits, even our pest control service.  You don’t get additional service or shipments after the cancellation date, but you own the magazines, food, science kits, and mouse poison that’s already in your house.  

No, they don't, but they also don't send you a new set of supplies for your science kit at no additional charge once you use up the original supplies. 

They are clear that you are subscribing to ink for a certain number of pages per month, and not ink cartridges. This style is generally called a print plan. If you want a subscription to actual ink cartridges, that is generally called an auto-replenishment plan.  

I save money doing it this way, I don't have to think twice about printing color-heavy pages, and the convenience of always having ink available the second I need it is fabulous. If I go through a crazy amount of ink very quickly, no problem, they just automatically send out more. 

So people can choose a print plan or an auto-replenishment plan, and of course they can also just buy cartridges as they go, with no subscription. 

• Like 1

They do state it several times in their FAQ that once the subscription is over you can no longer print. 

We can stop bashing a company for offering what some people want, just because some of people wouldn't want that.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, katilac said:

No, they don't, but they also don't send you a new set of supplies for your science kit at no additional charge once you use up the original supplies. 

They are clear that you are subscribing to ink for a certain number of pages per month, and not ink cartridges. This style is generally called a print plan. If you want a subscription to actual ink cartridges, that is generally called an auto-replenishment plan.  

I save money doing it this way, I don't have to think twice about printing color-heavy pages, and the convenience of always having ink available the second I need it is fabulous. If I go through a crazy amount of ink very quickly, no problem, they just automatically send out more. 

So people can choose a print plan or an auto-replenishment plan, and of course they can also just buy cartridges as they go, with no subscription. 

I think the person you were responding to is not saying they used up the original items. Like in my case I didn’t use up my pages or ink. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Clarita said:

They do state it several times in their FAQ that once the subscription is over you can no longer print. 

We can stop bashing a company for offering what some people want, just because some of people wouldn't want that.

I literally forgot and didn’t check. That’s on me. And I didn’t remember the rules from something I signed up for over 2 years ago lol 

• Like 1

So some weird things happened 

Due to weather our building closed recently and I have to make up the work hours. I can’t use vacation time as a new employee. So I asked if ds could come to town so dd did not have to hang out in my building while I made up some of my hours tomorrow. Ds agreed and I picked up both kids tonight. I’ll try to do the street car thing. I ordered a king cake (Bavarian cream) from a bakery to pick up tomorrow. 

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 10

It’s been so cold we just stayed in. I left some of the cake at the office. 

I started talking to people in the music scene. One of my patrons and I have spoken a few times. We are planning to attend some of the same concerts this spring. A man that was handing out stickers at a ska show I attended said he books shows. He has family where my kids live so he is familiar with the area and a venue that closed. I’m going to put him in touch with some of my friends there that play in bands and try to get them booked in NOLA. 

Now my phone is saying my FaceTime and iMessage will stop working in a few days because it’s affiliated with the cspire SIM card. What?! I need to call Apple I guess. And the past 2 days my phone internet is not working much which caused some panic when I was trying to use the GPS. 

The singer was running around with a prop that went along with the song. 

IMG_6556.jpeg

I applied for a second job. Dunno if anything will come if it. 

The storage unit said I can forfeit my stuff to their charity auction. Proceeds go to kids with Leukemia and something. 

I might need to drive to the unit Sat night and get out anything I don’t want going to auction before Feb. Just so I don’t pay for Feb storage. Making deals online but not sure if people will back out. 

I feel like I’m getting better at my job and more confident. 

Took myself out last night to 80s night. It was a let down. Danced to one Madonna song. The playlist was not great. Got that out of my system lol 

• Like 14

Today was pretty successful! Washer/dryer, kitchen stand mixer, ds’ desk, roasting pan, large stainless steel pot all sold. Gave away a large hamper for free. The W/D didn’t sell for much - not enough to replace. I owed my dad some money and gave him that from sales (I offered him extra and he even made a snide comment about his 0% commission but of course refused to actually take the additional money. This is why I always feel guilty. But the W/D buyers were flakey and wouldn’t wait for me to be there. I personally sold the other items later to a couple that was at the storage facility when I was loading my car. 

Filled up my car with most of the remaining items. Left behind just a few items I don’t care about anymore. Offered rainbow cart to a teacher I know. She can pick up this week from my dad. And if not… oh well. 

So turns out cspire didn’t charge me Jan service but the reason my charge was high is because of unpaid data passes (I sometimes chose “bill to account”). So I’ll use the storage sale money to pay off Cspire. 

An online workout friend buys custom tanks for his training group in bulk and sent me one for free. ❤️ 

It’s kinda a mental health thing that I get out and do things… but the ska show wasn’t expensive and 80s night was free. Both had free parking. 

My weight isn’t going down but a lot of my pants are too loose (I lost whatever butt I had lol). Even the newest black jeans. So I have spent extra on my wardrobe lately. Leggings have been pretty safe but it’s too cold for them sometimes. 

I’m not so down lately. I have a lot of projects and goals in mind. I did create a free Mango account to try out but can’t find my Getting Started with Spanish book! 🤦🏻‍♀️ I enjoyed trying to help a Spanish speaking couple the other day. I fumbled through but they got the message lol 

• Like 18

Ds is avoiding my question about coming this weekend so I doubt he will come. I'm going to take dd to a Mardi Gras parade. My friend is scaring me with all her suggestions. I'm like really? Is it that serious? She's telling me to carry a foldable chair and backpack cooler with snacks. Good grief, I've never done that for a parade. I go with a bag and catch some stuff and leave. My intent is to park near the end of the route in an area that isn't road blocked and just leave or hang out nearby (go eat or whatever) if the traffic is too rough. 

I thought I had a smart idea, but that might be a fail. I asked to increase my cc limit to help with my utilization score (and as a cushion because it's so close to the max and I'm paying it down slowly but wouldn't be able to do much in an emergency). They are pending decision but said that my interest rate would go up. UGH. So if I'm approved I doubt I'll even accept it... from around 8% to 14%. No thanks. Would have been nice to tell me before the credit pull. 

• Like 2

Just now, Heartstrings said:

Have you tried applying for a new card? Credit companies look at over all utilization not just each card individually so it would still help your credit.   

I've considered it, but I'm not sure if I should. Is there a particular company that might be better than others? I had Discover in the past and I don't want to use them again. 

Maybe a cc with my other credit union? But the credit pull from today will probably mean I'll have to wait a while?

My credit score used to be better. The figure they used today was 700. 

4 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I've considered it, but I'm not sure if I should. Is there a particular company that might be better than others? I had Discover in the past and I don't want to use them again. 

Maybe a cc with my other credit union? But the credit pull from today will probably mean I'll have to wait a while?

My credit score used to be better. The figure they used today was 700. 

If you sign up with credit karma they will show you several offers that they think you have a probability of being accepted for. 700 is a decent score, you’ll have plenty of offers.   
Most of the time a hard pull only knocks a point or two off of your score for a bit, I wouldn’t even worry about it.  

Edited by Heartstrings
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Heartstrings said:

If you sign up with credit karma they will show you several offers that they think you have a probability of being accepted for. 700 is a decent score, you’ll have plenty of offers.   
Most of the time a hard pull only knocks a point or two off of your score for a bit, I wouldn’t even worry about it.  

Credit karma linked me to an offer with Capital one but it was 30% APR 

9 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Credit karma linked me to an offer with Capital one but it was 30% APR 

If you're just looking at increasing your available credit and increasing your credit score it doesn't matter the apr. Apr only matters if you're carrying a balance. I'd like at cards that have rewards to sign up so you get something out if it. Put a bill on there and pay it off before it is due. We use credit cards a lot but don't pay any interest. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Soror said:

If you're just looking at increasing your available credit and increasing your credit score it doesn't matter the apr. Apr only matters if you're carrying a balance. I'd like at cards that have rewards to sign up so you get something out if it. Put a bill on there and pay it off before it is due. We use credit cards a lot but don't pay any interest. 

Well ideally I won’t carry a balance but if say I need a car repair I may need the cc and I wouldn’t have the means to pay off a $400 repair job in one billing cycle. I’m going to talk to my other credit union. Their website said I pre qualify for some of their cards. I’m trying to look at the best options (rewards etc). 

As time goes by we take on extra tasks at work and I showed interest in signage. I don’t get to make a lot but sometimes there are cases I get to and I love it because I get to use my design skills. I made signs today for the cleaning staff when asked and they really liked my sign. I bring my laptop to work often now so if I need to do something specific in my program I can. 

A colleague works out at the gym every morning (I thought of joining that gym because it’s by the office) and I told myself hey if she can get to the gym you can get on your bike in the living room lol so today I worked out. I know it takes time to build habits and it might not happen every morning but the days I work late I want to try to exercise before my shift. I’m hoping we can sorta be exercise buddies in a way. Like for accountability. 

I haven’t heard back from the job app (substitute teacher) and I’m gonna apply for the same type of position through a staffing agency that was recommended to me. 

• Like 9

On 1/31/2024 at 7:12 PM, heartlikealion said:

I haven’t heard back from the job app (substitute teacher) and I’m gonna apply for the same type of position through a staffing agency that was recommended to me. 

I gotta say that I love living in metro NOLA, but nothing in the world would entice me to work in NOLA public schools. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, katilac said:

I gotta say that I love living in metro NOLA, but nothing in the world would entice me to work in NOLA public schools. 

I’ll DM you more details on the one I applied at. At most, I’d work a couple days a month because my schedule is mostly full. I figured that would help me pay down my cc/bills. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

My road is flooded. This weather is wild. Another turbine down apparently. 

I don’t know if we’ll make it to a parade tomorrow. Dd is eating me out of house & home lol 

I tried to hang some picture frames today but need picture wire for some. Lazy day. 

Watch out! That girl is going to hit a growth spurt! 😂

• Haha 1

I finally made it to a parade! The intent was to see Muses (7pm)… but the schedule was so far off we had to stand through 2 parades before Muses and after 4 hours on my feet and with the temp drop we left halfway through the parade. There are some lulls between floats and parades. I went with a friend/former roommate. 

I might get up early to see the Zulu parade on Mardi Gras day but I don’t know. 

Paid off the IRS (last year’s taxes. Due date is this month). Took a few items to Goodwill and they told me they were just going to throw my handmade kitchen valance in the trash. Sigh. I let it go; it doesn’t work here. 

Due to my weight loss I needed bras and got fitted at 2 stores and came home with 3 different sizes that fit 🤣 Bra shopping is so stupid. And no, they weren’t even sister sizes. I checked out the mall for the first time. I’ll bring the kids sometime. 

A local told me I shop at “Hood Mart” and I don’t scare 😆😆

I uploaded some shorts to YouTube from the other night. 

IMG_6848.jpeg

• Like 9

9 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

A local told me I shop at “Hood Mart” and I don’t scare 😆😆

In a city where we lived formerly, we heard the Walmart we usually frequented called "GhettoMart." We were rather offended, as we liked it due to the lovely diverse clientele, and felt very comfortable there, as opposed to many of the more monochromatic places in the city. We did laugh a little, because we felt sorry for them due to the fact that they did not have more diversity of color and culture in their lives. 

• Like 1

The Walmarts I go to most often are often a bit chaotic (busy) and lately neither has a self checkout option (!). Both have been described to me as not good safety wise (I totally believe it). But I go there because the “nice” Walmart is so far out of my way. Unless I’m waiting on laundry at the laundromat after work, I go during the day. 

• Like 3

I’ve come across 2 options for free tax assistance. Does anyone want to weigh in on their experience/preference? AARP (don’t have to be a certain age to use service) and United Way. 
I really hope I get some money back this year but not holding my breath. I only took nanny agency jobs in 2023 where the taxes came out (that’s how it was for the church nursery gigs) THANK GOODNESS. 
yea I’m aware of the free online options but not interested. 

25 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I’ve come across 2 options for free tax assistance. Does anyone want to weigh in on their experience/preference? AARP (don’t have to be a certain age to use service) and United Way. 
I really hope I get some money back this year but not holding my breath. I only took nanny agency jobs in 2023 where the taxes came out (that’s how it was for the church nursery gigs) THANK GOODNESS. 
yea I’m aware of the free online options but not interested. 

Oh I was just about to share the free online one I used for ds when I did his taxes.  Why don’t you want to do on line.  

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

I always second guess myself and with the other places they will sit down and look for the best ways to help you get money back, supposedly. I just show up with my paperwork.

Unless you have some special deductions or something weird they really just walk you through all the steps.  But to each his own. Our ds27 always pays to get his done too.  

11 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

They both use IRS-certified volunteers, so whichever one is most convenient.

• Thanks 1

Happy Mardi Gras! 
I hung out by my new friend’s place of business and had a great view and access to a bathroom! 
I was not late to the parade at all and I left before it was halfway over. These things take forever. Glad I got to taste it and then went home to get warm! It was freezing. 

Some footage. And my purple laces were in theme 😊

https://youtube.com/shorts/hLrxjmBDcjU?si=11XguPTi6CCMSAK

https://youtu.be/IZD-zLzrfDg?si=faZGS2lipxmM8IcY

I’m here to ask the real questions… do king cakes go on clearance tomorrow? 🤣

IMG_6894.jpeg

• Like 5

11 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I tried to apply for the staffing agency substitute teacher job but it disqualified me because of some retirement thing. So unfair. The pay was $21/hr. 

Is it because your a city employee at the library and they share retirement?