Menu

PSA: Glitter wrapping paper from Walmart

Katy

PSA: Don’t buy the gorgeous red glitter wrapping paper at Walmart. It’s beautiful but it’s a PITA. 

I usually buy each kid their own wrapping paper. I usually get the premium (foil) paper at Walmart. This year there isn’t any, but they do have glitter papers. I took a kid with me, and he picked out papers for his siblings and cousins and a gorgeous red glitter paper for himself. I spent two hours trying to wrap one gift with it before I finally tried reinforced packing tape, which won’t stick to the paper but does stick to itself. So hopefully the white stripes in the tape look like ribbon because I’m never doing that again. 

By the end of the day I was covered in glitter and my hands were covered in cuts from the glitter. Only bleeding did I think about microplastics. Never again. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, TechWife said:

Glitter is a nightmare. I've noticed that it is everywhere this Christmas. Perhaps companies are unloading their overstock here since the EU ban took effect earlier this year.

Oh, I bet that’s exactly what it is! Now I’d be open to a ban too. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Katy said:

Please tell me this story. 

It started out benignly enough when my then in-laws were in town for their annual 17-day stay over Christmas (now that’s another story for another time!) My kiddos were 8, 6, 5 and 3 at the time and I needed to run to the store to get food for dinner that night. Grammy suggested that she would stay with the kids and do a craft with them so I could go by myself. Sounds great, right?! Oh no. Apparently the craft involved tubes and tubes of glitter glue, which the kids quickly tired of, so they moved on to playing with their toys and moving throughout the house. Except they all had stepped in globs of it the had spilled on the floor, and had it sticking to their hands without cleaning up. Grammy had stepped outside to take a call, leaving the kids unsupervised, and glitter was EVERYWHERE throughout my house. Footprints in the carpet, handprints on the walls, all over all the toys - I came across that stuff for years later. Grammy just kind of shrugged, and was like, “kids, right?”  From that time forth, any form of glitter is forbidden to cross my threshold! 

• Haha 11

25 minutes ago, PinkTulip said:

It started out benignly enough when my then in-laws were in town for their annual 17-day stay over Christmas (now that’s another story for another time!) My kiddos were 8, 6, 5 and 3 at the time and I needed to run to the store to get food for dinner that night. Grammy suggested that she would stay with the kids and do a craft with them so I could go by myself. Sounds great, right?! Oh no. Apparently the craft involved tubes and tubes of glitter glue, which the kids quickly tired of, so they moved on to playing with their toys and moving throughout the house. Except they all had stepped in globs of it the had spilled on the floor, and had it sticking to their hands without cleaning up. Grammy had stepped outside to take a call, leaving the kids unsupervised, and glitter was EVERYWHERE throughout my house. Footprints in the carpet, handprints on the walls, all over all the toys - I came across that stuff for years later. Grammy just kind of shrugged, and was like, “kids, right?”  From that time forth, any form of glitter is forbidden to cross my threshold! 

I'm laughing, but that's horrible! 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, El... said:

I'm laughing, but that's horrible! 

Understandably, I was pretty angry about it at the time. I mean, who leaves kids that age unsupervised with glitter glue?! But I can totally laugh about it now. And my kids and I really do refer to it as the Great Glitter Glue Disaster of 2007! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Katy said:

I spent two hours trying to wrap one gift with it before I finally tried reinforced packing tape, which won’t stick to the paper but does stick to itself. So hopefully the white stripes in the tape look like ribbon because I’m never doing that again. 

This happened to me a few years ago.  I don't even know why they sell glitter wrapping paper, because tape doesn't stick to it. I still have that roll in the attic, but I need to get rid of it.  It's so pretty though -- a coppery gold. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Serenade said:

This happened to me a few years ago.  I don't even know why they sell glitter wrapping paper, because tape doesn't stick to it. I still have that roll in the attic, but I need to get rid of it.  It's so pretty though -- a coppery gold. 

I was thinking maybe if I glued it to a sturdy box with a separate lid, and tied the lid on with ribbon. But honestly my hands have so many tiny cuts on them, it wouldn't be worth it.

This post has sent me on a deep dive into Australian glitter laws. So far, microbeads are banned but glitter is not (plastic straws/cutlery/bags are banned also). Some of the big retailers won't sell it anymore, though. 

eta: balloon releases are illegal too, didn't know that!

Edited by bookbard
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Serenade said:

I don't even know why they sell glitter wrapping paper, because tape doesn't stick to it.

The Dollar store super glue tubes do work. 

4 hours ago, bookbard said:

eta: balloon releases are illegal too, didn't know that!

The mylar balloons cause power outages here. My city and nearby cities would post reminders on social media during graduation season. 

image.png.df271f90e2ebb6a0e13cbe27487e7f2c.png

• Like 1