Menu

I feel like we aren’t grateful enough for cranberry farmers

Terabith

When hiring a new employee for cranberry farming, the first question asked is, “Are you cool with spiders?”

Cranberries grow in bogs, which already evoke some images of horror, but they use hundreds of wolf spiders as natural pest control to protect the cranberries.  But when they flood the bog to harvest the cranberries, and people have to go wading through the bog in their waders, the spiders desperately climb the tallest thing they can find which in this case is people. So the farmers are harvesting cranberries absolutely covered in hundreds of wolf spiders on their heads and faces.  

I feel like this should be prominently displayed on the cans and that cranberries should cost way more than they do. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

I feel like we need an image with this.

There are videos.  I'm not linking.😆

We have a beautiful bog about a mile from our home and I'm glad it's a long mile.  But the farmer is kind enough that when they flood again before the freeze, the children are all welcome to skate to their heart's content.

• Like 4

I bought a book, Time for Cranberries, almost a decade ago, which I felt gave us a good basic understanding of how cranberry bogs work and the effort that goes into the harvest. This particular issue never came up in the book, and I can't tell if I'm relieved or upset that we missed this vital detail!

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Danae said:

I have toured the cranberry museum in Warrens, WI and they have lots of information and pictures of the harvest.  I don’t remember anything about spiders at all.

I wonder if the museum people didn’t want to scare everyone off.

It’s also possible that the spiders are only used in the more organic cranberry bogs.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Drama Llama said:

This is perfect.  Now when we go around the table and say  "what are you grateful for" at fake Thanksgiving, I can say "cranberry farmers", rather than "almost all of the people gathered here today". 

Off-topic - this caught my eye -

Edited by Eos
  • Haha 2