Menu

How much does it cost to fence a yard?

mommyoffive

We just paid $8300 for (I think) 380ish linear feet of vinyl coated black chain link with one walk through gate and one drive through gate. But that also included tearing down and hauling away the existing post and rail fence. We kinda wanted to replace it with new post and rail, but it would have cost almost twice as much. We didn’t like the looks of it that much better, plus it required a lot of maintenance and the gates swelled in humid weather and were difficult to deal with. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I have no idea the measurements but it’s not a large yard by any stretch. I can ask dh tonight. (Edit: it is 245 ft of fence)  There is a kids play set and a playhouse and some room to walk around but that is it.

We got a quote from our “guy” that we trust and has done a variety of jobs for us but fences are his main thing.

For a vinyl privacy fence in a sand color with two gates it is going to be like $17,500 for materials, labor, tear down and haul away of an old fence. He said a white fence would save us $2000. 

I have no idea if that sounds right. It sounded right to me just because I expected it to be way more expensive than I feel like it should be, and indeed it is!

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 2

Prices vary by size (linear feet) and materials chosen. We paid $3600 for cedar on two short sides our backyard in TX (LCOL) in 2017. Prices were competitive; we researched extensively. Cedar has spiked in price since then, though prices are starting to correct. It’s currently about $3.50 here for a 5.5” wide, 1 inch thick, 6’ tall picket here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teachermom2834 said:

I have no idea the measurements but it’s not a large yard by any stretch. I can ask dh tonight. (Edit: it is 245 ft of fence)  There is a kids play set and a playhouse and some room to walk around but that is it.

We got a quote from our “guy” that we trust and has done a variety of jobs for us but fences are his main thing.

For a vinyl privacy fence in a sand color with two gates it is going to be like $17,500 for materials, labor, tear down and haul away of an old fence. He said a white fence would save us $2000. 

I have no idea if that sounds right. It sounded right to me just because I expected it to be way more expensive than I feel like it should be, and indeed it is!

Quoting myself because I edited it say it is 245 Ft of fence. 

• Like 1

A year ago we got black chain length because all the neighbors on our block with a fence had it too. I think we had one estimate for $5800 with a six-month wait list or $6200 for in 3 weeks. We went with the more expensive, faster one. Our backyard is about 1/2 acre, almost double the typical backyards in our neighborhood but about half of it was already fenced so we were just adjoining the neighbors’ fences. We opted for the more expensive one because everything about the estimate process was more professional and the company seemed much more reliable. It included all permitting and sending out a surveyor to check property lines. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Katy said:

A year ago we got black chain length because all the neighbors on our block with a fence had it too. I think we had one estimate for $5800 with a six-month wait list or $6200 for in 3 weeks. We went with the more expensive, faster one. Our backyard is about 1/2 acre, almost double the typical backyards in our neighborhood but about half of it was already fenced so we were just adjoining the neighbors’ fences. We opted for the more expensive one because everything about the estimate process was more professional and the company seemed much more reliable. It included all permitting and sending out a surveyor to check property lines. 

That’s nice they did a survey! We paid for that ahead of time before even getting estimates because our yard is a little wonky. 

I cannot remember at all what it cost. Several thousand—several years ago. It is partially black aluminum (iron look) and part black chain link. All I know is it was worth every penny to be able to let the dogs out! 🙂

• Like 2

I don't know the size of the fence we wanted, but we got 3 quotes, and one was so inflated it was crazy - $15,000 compared to $5000 and $6000 from two other companies. We've been finding that for everything we've been getting quotes for. We're having our roof done now, and the first quote was $30,000, the company we're using is $12,000 - 14,000. Bathrooms we were quoted $30,000 for each bathroom by one company, $5,000 - $12,000 each for the company we're using. We get at least 3 quotes for everything! 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, dsmith said:

I don't know the size of the fence we wanted, but we got 3 quotes, and one was so inflated it was crazy - $15,000 compared to $5000 and $6000 from two other companies. We've been finding that for everything we've been getting quotes for. We're having our roof done now, and the first quote was $30,000, the company we're using is $12,000 - 14,000. Bathrooms we were quoted $30,000 for each bathroom by one company, $5,000 - $12,000 each for the company we're using. We get at least 3 quotes for everything! 

Get the quotes AND check the reviews, on multiple sites.  Not only do quotes seem to vary widely, but so does quality of work.  We have found in our experience that many smaller companies send the owner out to do bids, and everything seems to be in order, but then they are sending work teams without much experience and only checking in on the work teams (if at all) at the end of the job. Ask the questions up front---who will show up at the job site, how long have the workers on that team been with you, and so on. It will be very revealing.  

• Like 1

Until 2004, one of the main chemicals in pressure treated lumber was arsenic.  This was changed to copper based products instead. FWIW, cadmium is still present in the new chemical composition as well; if you end up doing it yourself, wear gloves.  One of the reasons we went with cedar instead of pressure treated wood is because of the toxicity of pressure treated lumber. If you decide to use cedar as the posts (which is controversial), you can pretreat it with copper chemicals, or choose to use heartwood.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Get the quotes AND check the reviews, on multiple sites.  Not only do quotes seem to vary widely, but so does quality of work.  We have found in our experience that many smaller companies send the owner out to do bids, and everything seems to be in order, but then they are sending work teams without much experience and only checking in on the work teams (if at all) at the end of the job. Ask the questions up front---who will show up at the job site, how long have the workers on that team been with you, and so on. It will be very revealing.  

I check to make sure the reviews are not fake on Google and other sites. We tried Angi for a few quotes, and many of those companies I don't even see on Google. I stopped using them after we were getting such high quotes without any reviews beyond what was on Angi. 

The one thing we put a stop to when we moved in with mil and fil was using friends of friends, etc. Most of the work we need done now is remediation from work done before we moved in or before we started getting involved. Our front steps collapsed because whoever built it (the husband of a work friend of mil) didn't use stringers. We have water damage in our ceiling upstairs and our front porch ceiling from rot in our roof that could only be seen from the damage it's caused inside. When the roofers showed us the damage this morning we were shocked at how bad it is and surprised the ceilings weren't worse. We also have issues with plumbing in one bathroom, done by a different husband of a work friend. These people are all licensed contractors, too! 

4 minutes ago, dsmith said:

I check to make sure the reviews are not fake on Google and other sites. We tried Angi for a few quotes, and many of those companies I don't even see on Google. I stopped using them after we were getting such high quotes without any reviews beyond what was on Angi. 

The one thing we put a stop to when we moved in with mil and fil was using friends of friends, etc. Most of the work we need done now is remediation from work done before we moved in or before we started getting involved. Our front steps collapsed because whoever built it (the husband of a work friend of mil) didn't use stringers. We have water damage in our ceiling upstairs and our front porch ceiling from rot in our roof that could only be seen from the damage it's caused inside. When the roofers showed us the damage this morning we were shocked at how bad it is and surprised the ceilings weren't worse. We also have issues with plumbing in one bathroom, done by a different husband of a work friend. These people are all licensed contractors, too! 

What was holding the steps up????

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

What was holding the steps up????

I guess it would be called an outer stringer? - just a straight board really, that the stairs were nailed in to, instead of an inner stringer where the treads would rest on top of. So basically the nails were supporting the treads, and those rusted off. Luckily there were no injuries when it collapsed. 

• Confused 1