Menu

Mail

DawnM

I just realized we will be in temp housing for at least a few weeks.

Is my only option to get a PO Box?    I can't change my credit card address to a PO Box......do I get a friend's address and use that for a few weeks?    We do not have any family nearby.

Although I suppose if we are under contract, we could go ahead and use the new address, but that may not happen right away.

UGH!   

I’d get the PO Box but leave your CC at the current address and just have your mail forwarded to the PO Box. You can check your CC statements on line to make sure you don’t miss anything. 

ETA: check to see if your CC company offers a paperless option, to not even receive paper statements.

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 5

We were without a physical address for about 2 months, and I was able to forward all of our mail to a PO Box.

We kept the PO Box, and I still have our credit card bills sent there. We have lost some mail coming to the new physical address, so I feel it is safer. The PO Box has sentimental value as well because it is the box number that was in our family for over 75 years. I use the key that my grandmother used before she passed away in 2010. 

• Like 10

51 minutes ago, marbel said:

I would get a PO box but also change everything I could to paperless. Credit card/bank statements, utility bills, etc. 

They are paperless, but I need an address on file with them.   And they still send out some things, like tax forms, etc....

You can have mail held at the post office for up to 30 days, AND it can start as soon as the next business day.

We had mail held while inbetween moves- it ended up being about 20 days.  It's super simple, go online and fill out a hold mail form.  At the end of the hold period you have your choice of picking up the held mail or having it delivered.  I suggest you opt to pick it up and then use that as your opportunity to change your address and set your forwarding correctly for the new address.  Or if you need longer, that's when you could sign up for the PO Box.  

• Like 4

I would do online payments for all bills to the extent possible.

I like the idea of having your mail forwarded to a PO box.  You could also have it held, but then I don't know how hard it is to get it during the hold.

Sign up for USPS Informed Delivery.  It's free.  It emails you a copy of the mail you're about to receive each day.  Although it seems to miss some items, it's very nice to have when you aren't able to pick up your mail every day.

• Like 2