Menu

Cuteness in my front yard this morning

chocolate-chip chooky

1 hour ago, TheReader said:

So adorable!!! 

Incidentally, we are thoroughly enjoying watching "Alone: Australia" just for the sheer fun of seeing what critters they/y'all have over there. So different! 

I've just finished watching that!

That guy who keeps talking about how tough he is is the second biggest whinger.  😂

49 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

I've just finished watching that!

That guy who keeps talking about how tough he is is the second biggest whinger.  😂

LOL! We find that to be true in most of the Alone seasons. Once, there was a guy who during the "pre-drop off" episode (one & only time we watched the pre-show stuff) was talking about how he was going to bring back a bear rug. 

Then, drop off. And the *very first night* he heard what he thought was maybe possibly a bear. I don't think he tapped out right then & there that night (I don't know if they can, in the middle of the night), but that was it, he was GONE first thing in the morning. It was hilarious! 

I do very much love the contrast of environmental difficulties y'all have over there vs. where they usually drop them for the N America ones (generally isolated areas of Canada). Such a different form of a tough place to be! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ottakee said:

Adorable.  I was expecting deer.

Deer aren't native here, but we do occasionally see wild deer whose ancestors escaped captivity at some point.

Heaps of kangaroos, wallabies, possums, birds, snakes.

There are echidnas in our area, but I've never seen a live one unfortunately; only dead ones on the side of the road.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Should I watch that? I’m getting my Australia content from Miriam Margolyes! 🤣

I don't know what Miriam Margolyes is! 

Alone (either the N America version, or the Australia version) is a reality series where they drop 10 individuals on remote pieces of land, in one general area, but far enough from one another & separated by impassible terrain &/or water, that they can't accidentally run into each other. Each of the 10 contestants is very literally alone -- they drop them off with 55 lbs of camera gear, with which they are to film themselves setting up camp, fishing/hunting, etc. They are allowed 10 survival items, in addition to 2 sets of clothing (one to wear, one for back-up/washing), a first aid kit, generally bear spray, etc. So, they get dropped off and must make a shelter, procure food, and survive. Whoever lasts the longest out there, wins (and they have no idea how anyone else is doing). 

They each have a sat phone to use to "tap out" (call for aid/call to be picked up), and the supervising crew/team does do periodic medical checks throughout and will pull someone if they are losing too much weight, etc. 

So...should you watch it? It's entertaining, but also can get depressing/slow/kind of a downer when it gets past the point where everyone has their shelter up and the weather starts to turn - the fishing/hunting gets harder, and generally around 30-40 day mark, people start really feeling the impact of being completely alone.  But then when it gets down to the final three, and then the winner, it's super fun (as long as you halfway liked whoever wins), because they show up and the person thinks it's a med check day, and so they're checking in, and then from behind comes that person's significant other (or whatever family member they listed to be their pick-up person) who tells them they won. 

The Australia one is def. fun in a different way, b/c of the different terrain, the different little critters, the accents, etc. But it is a survival competition show, and not everyone's cup of tea. 

10 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Deer aren't native here, but we do occasionally see wild deer whose ancestors escaped captivity at some point.

Heaps of kangaroos, wallabies, possums, birds, snakes.

There are echidnas in our area, but I've never seen a live one unfortunately; only dead ones on the side of the road.

I just thought deer as they are overrunning our area.     Nice to watch but destructive and cause lots of car accidents

9 hours ago, TheReader said:

I don't know what Miriam Margolyes is! 

Alone (either the N America version, or the Australia version) is a reality series where they drop 10 individuals on remote pieces of land, in one general area, but far enough from one another & separated by impassible terrain &/or water, that they can't accidentally run into each other. Each of the 10 contestants is very literally alone -- they drop them off with 55 lbs of camera gear, with which they are to film themselves setting up camp, fishing/hunting, etc. They are allowed 10 survival items, in addition to 2 sets of clothing (one to wear, one for back-up/washing), a first aid kit, generally bear spray, etc. So, they get dropped off and must make a shelter, procure food, and survive. Whoever lasts the longest out there, wins (and they have no idea how anyone else is doing). 

They each have a sat phone to use to "tap out" (call for aid/call to be picked up), and the supervising crew/team does do periodic medical checks throughout and will pull someone if they are losing too much weight, etc. 

So...should you watch it? It's entertaining, but also can get depressing/slow/kind of a downer when it gets past the point where everyone has their shelter up and the weather starts to turn - the fishing/hunting gets harder, and generally around 30-40 day mark, people start really feeling the impact of being completely alone.  But then when it gets down to the final three, and then the winner, it's super fun (as long as you halfway liked whoever wins), because they show up and the person thinks it's a med check day, and so they're checking in, and then from behind comes that person's significant other (or whatever family member they listed to be their pick-up person) who tells them they won. 

The Australia one is def. fun in a different way, b/c of the different terrain, the different little critters, the accents, etc. But it is a survival competition show, and not everyone's cup of tea. 

She’s professor Sprout in the Harry Potter movies. She married an Australian and became a citizen and has a show where she travels in a van to learn about Australia. It’s called Almost Australian. 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2023 at 12:44 PM, Ausmumof3 said:

Kangaroos are kind horrible. If they are chased too hard they will throw the Joey and run. 

Yikes, I've never seen that.

We're in Brisbane suburbia, on the edge of some bushland, and the wallabies and kangaroos cohabit quite peacefully with the humans, thankfully.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Yikes, I've never seen that.

We're in Brisbane suburbia, on the edge of some bushland, and the wallabies and kangaroos cohabit quite peacefully with the humans, thankfully.

Yeah. We had a bad experience once where our usually well trained farm dogs lost their minds and chased some poor kangaroo. She threw her joey into a roll of wire 😞 

It ended up being a job for fauna rescue sadly.

still not sure what got into them that day, they never did it again.

• Sad 1