Menu

I need to figure out a better way to do this!

PeterPan

How do you pick the skins off your garbanzo beans? I've been doing them one by one, a handful at a time, but it takes SO LONG to get through a pound!!! Tell me you have a better way? 🤣

I thought I read that ATK says to cook with baking soda (fine, tried that, also tried baking soda in the soaking water which also works) and then swish. But that doesn't get every. single. skin. off. 

I said I have problems. 😂 But it's SO silky and SO smooth when you're done processing the hummus that I completely forget that I stood on my poor peroneal tendons for 1 ½ hours and made my feet ache. I just eat the fluffy veluptuousness.

Is there a cure? 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

I just eat my garbanzo beans with skins -- didn't know this was a thing.

But-- Can you sit down while you pick the skins off?

I tried but my logistics aren't right. Then the pan is up and I'm down. 😂 If I didn't think I'd make a mess, I could sit at the dining table (still too high) or put a low table in front of the couch. I kinda fling the skins, so I'm mess prone.

4 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

Peeling is only necessary if you want chunky hummus. I puree the beans with skins for 7-10 minutes with garlic and the lemon juice or olive oil.  Then add in the techina (lots), salt,  lemon juice, and olive oil.  Then puree for 3 more minutes.  Fluffy, yummy hummus. 

Ok, so the key if I want to leave the skin on is TIME? You're using a blender or food processor? 

I’ve never peeled mine either. But I did once hear someone on YouTube say she used a food mil on stuff with skins so she didn’t have to spend time peeling. I think it was mostly for tomatoes but she definitely mentioned hummus too. I don’t have a food mill. I always used a blender or food processor. 

2 minutes ago, Katy said:

I’ve never peeled mine either. But I did once hear someone on YouTube say she used a food mil on stuff with skins so she didn’t have to spend time peeling. I think it was mostly for tomatoes but she definitely mentioned hummus too. I don’t have a food mill. I always used a blender or food processor. 

I was wondering about that!! I'll go google it. Might make it a snap if it worked. The beans themselves are plenty soft at that point. 

• Like 1

If you cook the chickpeas until they're really soft, then rinse and put them in a bowl of cold water you can gently rub them with your hands and the skins will come off and float to the top, where you can skim them off. Only takes 5 minutes longer than rinsing, draining, and using with skins. Also, adding a tablespoon or two of  ice water towards the end of the blending process helps make hummus extra fluffy.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Katy said:

I'm googling this and found this link

https://www.growforagecookferment.com/traditional-hummus-recipe/

and this comment 

"Yes.I make hummus a lot! I soak the peas overnight then boil hard for 10-15 min. Cool slightly then rub them in a linen towel to get the skins loose. Then put back in water and heat while I skim the top for the skins. I never thot of using the food mill.. will have to try that! Thanks!"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

If you cook the chickpeas until they're really soft, then rinse and put them in a bowl of cold water you can gently rub them with your hands and the skins will come off and float to the top, where you can skim them off. Only takes 5 minutes longer than rinsing, draining, and using with skins. Also, adding a tablespoon or two of  ice water towards the end of the blending process helps make hummus extra fluffy.

Ok, I'm trying to imagine this. So you're saying it's like boiled eggs where we shock them with cold and they're easier to peel? I like 5 minutes, lol. 

Ok, somehow I completely missed this!! I'm linking (or failing to link) an ATK youtube video called "Super Quick Video Tips: Easiest Way to Skin Chickpeas"

They're saying to soak the beans (or start from canned), dry, stir in baking soda, and HEAT in a skillet to soften the skins. Then you can rinse the skins off or let them float up as you cook.

Edited by PeterPan

ATK has a video specifically on making ultra creamy hummus, showing how to skim off the skins by putting soft chickpeas in cold water and swishing them around. She leaves behind more skins than I do, I gently rub the chickpeas between my hands (under the water) and nearly all the skins come off. It really does just take 5 minutes or less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycmanXPT_GY

• Like 1

4 hours ago, marbel said:

I've often read that it's important to remove the skins, or at least most of them, but I take my hummus advice from Israeli restauranteur and cookbook  author Michael Solomonov and none of his recipes (that I've come across) say anything about getting rid of the skins. 

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017734-zahavs-hummus-tehina Interesting! He puts baking soda in the soaking water AND in the cooking water. He overcooks the beans and then only needs to blend them 2 minutes, which seems reasonable. I was concerned that going a long time could burn up the machine, oy. And he does something with letting the garlic sit in lemon juice and salt, which does something to the chemicals, right? 

One time I had this jar of garlic tahini that had a really strong flavor and I liked what it brought to the hummus, yum. Haven't figured out how to replicate that.

I think I may go with this next time. I thought the logic on removing the skins was that they don't have the strong bean flavor of the rest of the bean. However they do have some thickening potential. Just seems to me if you're adding water then who cares if you add some watery skins, lol.

43 minutes ago, EKS said:

I didn't know you're supposed to peel them.  I just put them in the food processor (I used canned) and grind them up. 

Are the canned ones already peeled? 

No the canned ones are not peeled. I've seen it suggested several places to cook off the canned garbanzos a few minutes in some water with baking soda to get that softer, home cooked effect.

5 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Corraleno’s technique works well, but I decided several years ago that I didn’t have time to peel my chickpeas and just stopped. I do the baking soda thing and move on. https://cookieandkate.com/best-hummus-recipe/

That's a good point. I thought I saw on tv the claim that the skins don't (generally) grind well, but the baking soda softens them enough to mean they should grind fine. And really, you're throwing away a fair chunk of the beans when you do this. Granted beans are cheap, but food is food.

6 hours ago, Corraleno said:

ATK has a video specifically on making ultra creamy hummus, showing how to skim off the skins by putting soft chickpeas in cold water and swishing them around. She leaves behind more skins than I do, I gently rub the chickpeas between my hands (under the water) and nearly all the skins come off. It really does just take 5 minutes or less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycmanXPT_GY

That was helpful!

11 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017734-zahavs-hummus-tehina Interesting! He puts baking soda in the soaking water AND in the cooking water. He overcooks the beans and then only needs to blend them 2 minutes, which seems reasonable. I was concerned that going a long time could burn up the machine, oy. And he does something with letting the garlic sit in lemon juice and salt, which does something to the chemicals, right? 

One time I had this jar of garlic tahini that had a really strong flavor and I liked what it brought to the hummus, yum. Haven't figured out how to replicate that.

I think I may go with this next time. I thought the logic on removing the skins was that they don't have the strong bean flavor of the rest of the bean. However they do have some thickening potential. Just seems to me if you're adding water then who cares if you add some watery skins, lol.

In his book Israeli Soul, he includes a recipe for "5-minute hummus" which uses canned chickpeas. I've started making that instead of buying hummus from the store. I do have a food processor so it's very easy. 

I think I have heard (but am not sure) that he uses and recommends Soom brand tahini/tehina, a local brand to Philadelphia (which is where his restaurants are). I have been using it and it's fantastic. 

• Like 1

I am by no means an expert but I used Alton Brown's recipe for cooking chickpeas in the crockpot and I didn't have to peel them before making them into hummus in my food processor. 

Do you have an old school food mill? I bet that would work. I have an old one of my grandmother's that I used to use for applesauce. ETA: it appears that the internet agrees that this will work.  😃

ETA2: I bet you could find a cheap one at a thrift store.

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1