Menu

To the thrift store!

DawnM

I am so done with trying to coordinate free items to people who want them.   They say they will come, they don't.   They ask a million questions......it is FREE.....take it or leave it, I am not going to great lengths to work to give this away.

Just a vent.   

We have hit the threshold point and will not be taking photos and listing things anymore, it just goes in a pile and is taken to the donation bin.   The end.

Carry on......

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 25

• DawnM changed the title to To the thrift store!
52 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I am so done with trying to coordinate free items to people who want them.   They say they will come, they don't.   They ask a million questions......it is FREE.....take it or leave it, I am not going to great lengths to work to give this away.

Just a vent.   

We have hit the threshold point and will not be taking photos and listing things anymore, it just goes in a pile and is taken to the donation bin.   The end.

Carry on......

We'll put bigger items (or toys, back in the day) out on the curb with a sign. I figure it's just as likely to find a good owner that way as listing it for free. 

A lot goes to the thrift store as well. We used to do Amvets pickup, but for the past year or so they've been like, how about we come in a month? Oh, we actually can't come today, how about we reschedule for next month? No, it needs to leave the house, that's kind of the point. So now I just bring it to the closest one or one we will be passing by. 

• Like 3

I recently did a purge of our house. If it didn't go in the trash, it went to the thrift store. Trying to find buyers is way more stress than I want to take on. My parents are doing their own purge and my father is insisting on a garage sale. Unfortunately, he has inflated ideas about the price of his things and is going to be greatly disappointed come the day of the garage sale. Way too much stress for me. I just want it gone.

• Like 5

I usually just take items to the Thrift stores. Unless it is a big ticket item, of which we have none!

I do offer my homeschool books for excellent prices on the local group, and usually folks are very good about coming to pick those up. 

Our thrift store is for the benefit of a shelter for abused women, so I'm happy to take my good stuff there. Iffy or bad stuff I just toss. 

• Like 3

We had a huge garage sale at my parents house after they moved in with family for elder care; the sale was in the back yard and in the garage. The house was burgled the day after the garage sale. We were glad that we had taken all the valuables (precious few that there were) with us off site, but the burglars stole several items that meant they had gone through the place thoroughly. Two items in particular were a loss for sentimental reasons, including a musical instrument. 

To me, garage sales invite unwanted attention.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, SHP said:

If I ever do this again, I will set up a Free or Donation to a charity garage sale. Open 8am Saturday, close at 5pm. Come or not. Take the rest to thrift store when done

We are not allowed to do that here.   We can only have yard sales during designated neighborhood yard sale days.   

3 hours ago, DawnM said:

We are not allowed to do that here.   We can only have yard sales during designated neighborhood yard sale days.   

You are selling and moving. What can they do about it? By the time they could do anything the sale will be over and your house will likely be sold and you gone. I say screw them have the free for all. 

*I am coming from a place of frustration with my own neighborhood jerks. They are jerks. We have covenants and rules and they are applied unevenly. One person has warrents out for their arrest for doing what everyone else would agree is improvements (like repair the roof that collapsed) while another house is literally falling apart and "we have to have compassion and not use the covenants and laws to punish, but to help." 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SHP said:

You are selling and moving. What can they do about it? By the time they could do anything the sale will be over and your house will likely be sold and you gone. I say screw them have the free for all. 

*I am coming from a place of frustration with my own neighborhood jerks. They are jerks. We have covenants and rules and they are applied unevenly. One person has warrents out for their arrest for doing what everyone else would agree is improvements (like repair the roof that collapsed) while another house is literally falling apart and "we have to have compassion and not use the covenants and laws to punish, but to help." 

They can still fine me.   We haven't moved yet.   

And I live in a small section of a gated community so I would have to give people the gate code somehow, and put up signs because no one comes this way unless they have a purpose, people don't just pass our street, you have to come into the neighborhood and know where to go, so several signs on several streets would need to go up to show people where to go. I live on a dead end street.

It isn't as simple as sticking things in my driveway.   

Edited by DawnM

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

They can still fine me.   We haven't moved yet.   

And I live in a small section of a gated community so I would have to give people the gate code somehow, and put up signs because no one comes this way unless they have a purpose, people don't just pass our street, you have to come into the neighborhood and know where to go, so several signs on several streets would need to go up to show people where to go. I live on a dead end street.

It isn't as simple as sticking things in my driveway.   

Gated makes a huge difference and would be an absolute pain if people are ghosting you. 

The fine wouldn't bother me at all, but that is because, here at least, by the time they followed all procedures I would be long gone. I have seen people here drag it out 2+ years and then move before the final. It is then thrown out because they no longer live there and the complaint was so old it was viewed as already resolved. 

Our HOA covenants and restrictions are the strangest I have encountered. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SHP said:

Gated makes a huge difference and would be an absolute pain if people are ghosting you. 

The fine wouldn't bother me at all, but that is because, here at least, by the time they followed all procedures I would be long gone. I have seen people here drag it out 2+ years and then move before the final. It is then thrown out because they no longer live there and the complaint was so old it was viewed as already resolved. 

Our HOA covenants and restrictions are the strangest I have encountered. 

Some of the fines are daily.   As in, our neighbors were charged $100 per DAY because their trash cans were visible.   Others have been charged per day until they paid the fine.

I don't know if there is any way for them to collect when the house closes or not, but I am not really in a frame of mind to find out.   Plus, it really would be a huge hassle to have the sale, even if everything is free.   It isn't worth it to me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

If thrift stores don't take all your larger items, some other places to consider are Habitat for Humanity, or centres accepting donations for specific refugee groups, such as Ukrainians. 

Happy donating!!! 

if they will come and pick it up.   None of those places are close to me and I would need to hook up the trailer to drive an hour to donate.   We are very limited on time.

• Sad 2

I got tired of listing free things, and even selling things. People are PITAs!! We live on a busy street and will put things out with a big FREE sign. I've recently rediscovered our local thrift store and have been bringing a lot to them. I like that they have 20 different charities they support, and we can choose who gets the money from our donation. They also take toys, which is very rare. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dsmith said:

I got tired of listing free things, and even selling things. People are PITAs!! We live on a busy street and will put things out with a big FREE sign. I've recently rediscovered our local thrift store and have been bringing a lot to them. I like that they have 20 different charities they support, and we can choose who gets the money from our donation. They also take toys, which is very rare. 

My favorite thrift store is the one that supports the animal shelter.   They take most things.   No mattresses, but most other things.

• Like 2