Menu

What is the bean dip in the expression "Pass the bean dip"

wintermom

4 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

Many of those threads happened before I joined, but I affectionately remember a long one with the boardie who went to someone's house for dinner and was served Kraft Mac and cheese (I think).  There was more than one dinner invitation involved, if I recall. And another one from a mom who daily had to face down another woman who terrorized sidewalk walkers by barreling down the middle with her stroller. 

Oh yes, the dinner one. I had forgotten about that one.

They exchanged hosting. Boardie (maybe Audrey??)hosted first and asked about food allergies and was given a long list of dos and don'ts. Dairy, gluten, nightshades, etc. She homemade a beautiful meal with fresh ingredients, avoiding all the triggers.

Then, went to the guest's home and was fed all the "avoid" foods from boxes and cans. 

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Tiberia said:

It’s a semi polite way to redirect conversations that are uncomfortable or none of someone’s business:

Mother in Law: I think you should buy a new house next door to us so we can see the grandkids everyday and help you raise them right.

You: We’re very happy where we are, thanks, please pass the bean dip. It’s delicious. You must give me the recipe.

As for actual bean dip, it’s great on tortilla chips. But I always think of the hive when I eat it!

Literally can be bean dip. Or whatever other object/subject is good for redirecting conversation. 

Those Joanne days were something! Wish she were here to fully explain it to a new generation. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

Those Joanne days were something! Wish she were here to fully explain it to a new generation. 

Here's the article from the Wayback machine from her counseling website:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140325212832/https://joanneketch.com/ParentingChoiceBoundaries.en.html

and the older version from her previous website:

https://web.archive.org/web/20071217210431/http://goybparenting.com/?page_id=27

(there is a modified homeschool version on the site as well)

I eventually got a similar abrasive impression as @I talk to the trees mentioned above, though.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, fraidycat said:

I hope someone does burst your bubble on the tea thing because it's a great thread for a laugh as well that I think still exists. I'm hoping someone has it bookmarked and can link it for you.

Ok, now I'm happy that my bubble was burst. The real story is hilarious! Who would have thought the hot water taps being installed in one's kitchen would result in a new code word for something very different! 🤣

• Like 2

Both stories are pretty funny! It's really amazing how simple stories, occurrances and even mistakes can change word meanings, word usage and sometimes even create new words.

My dd's nickname evolved from Magoo (from Mr. Magoo) to Magroo when a non-English speaker asked what Magroo meant when she overhead me calling dd Magroo.

Maggie, my dd, also has a less-used nick name of EIGGAM. This is her name spelled backwards, which she did perfectly one day by accident in her youth. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, I talk to the trees said:

I was a newbie here, and I think I must have done this, because I remember her messaging me with a very angry lecture over how I had used “her” phrase. I do not recall exactly what I said. Maybe I left out a word or changed word order, but the sentiment was the same. I felt horribly embarrassed, like I had plagiarized an entire paper or something, and still feel icky when I think about the interaction. Maybe she was just having a bad day, but she really let it rip! That’s probably the ugliest thing anyone here has ever said to me. 

I’m sorry you bore the brunt of that unfair message. I vividly remember a time when a poster PM’d me with a furious rebuke of an extremely innocuous thing I said about driving late at night. It never made a shred of sense to me; I blocked the poster and, AFAIK, they are not here any longer. I chalked it up to: maybe some trauma happened in their life due to someone driving late at night and it tripped a trigger. I hope not but that was the only explanation that could make a kind of sense to me. 

Edited by Ginevra
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

On 6/9/2023 at 12:28 PM, wintermom said:

I'm rather curious to hear about the origins of "books" now. Anyone know? Please include all the quotes and threads that are relevant on how this code word came to be. 😉 

I don't remember the context of the first appearance, but it was a typo. Someone accidentally used a k instead of a second b when asking about something anatomical, and the jokes just flowed after that. Everything from bookshelves, to the size of books (pamphlets to tomes), to mitigating humidity. I'm probably not even remembering all the cute parallels in the universe. IIRC, when using the word "book" in code, one subs in the two middle letters as capitals, for obvious reasons, but many people aren't strictly observant of the convention.  😄 

• Like 1

For those who did not know Joanne, I'm so sorry that a couple of people had less than stellar encounters with her. It seems that this was a hot-button item for her. She was an amazing woman who had a lot of wisdom and grace to share; she endured incredible difficulty and adversity with a family situation that would have driven anyone else to mayhem, and she managed to find vision for herself and her kids in spite of the circumstances and crappy hand she had been dealt. The Hive felt that she had contributed so positively that many of us cheered her and supported her like family as she kept putting one foot in front of another, in spite of often having her footing pulled out from under her. I'm truly sorry that several boardies experienced her in a way that was not her norm.

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 11

8 minutes ago, Halftime Hope said:

For those who did not know Joanne, I'm sorry that a couple of people had less than stellar encounters with her. It seems that this was a hot-button item for her. She was an amazing woman who had a lot of wisdom and grace to share; she endured incredible difficulty and adversity with a family situation that would have driven anyone else to mayhem, and she managed to find vision for herself and her kids in spite of the circumstances and crappy hand she had been dealt. The Hive felt that she had contributed so positively that many of us cheered her and supported her like family as she kept putting one foot in front of another, in spite of often having her footing pulled out from under her. I'm truly sorry that several boardies experienced her in a way that was not her norm.

Beautifully stated. Thank you.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

I don't remember the context of the first appearance, but it was a typo. Someone accidentally used a k instead of a second b when asking about something anatomical, and the jokes just flowed after that. Everything from bookshelves, to the size of books (pamphlets to tomes), to mitigating humidity. I'm probably not even remembering all the cute parallels in the universe. IIRC, when using the word "book" in code, one subs in the two middle letters as capitals, for obvious reasons, but many people aren't strictly observant of the convention.  😄 

I think the same post had the typo 'husbank' for 'husband'.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 6/8/2023 at 10:55 AM, KSera said:

Does anyone know if this expression is used outside homeschooling circles?

I always figured that it was, but I just googled it and found that the only references to it were on homeschool sites.  Except for one, and that one actually references someone named Joanne, who I am almost certain is our Joanne, as being the source.