Menu

Poor air quality WWYD

6 hours ago, KSera said:

Very nicely done! Do you happen to have an air quality meter to see how well it’s doing? 

We do not. It’s down to 86 outside now so things are ‘poor’ but improved from yesterday. We did move it to the bedroom last night. I haven’t been awake ling enough to know how my nose and eyes feel yet. 

• Like 1

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry for all of you dealing with worse air quality than us.  Last night it was 117 and hard to breathe when I stepped outside.  It was 168 just 20 minutes away where my kid does his activities.  He did not go.  It just wasn't worth it.  But I cannot fathom how difficult it must be in NYC or any place that went orange. 

Today is supposed to start clearing out, but all our windows and doors will stay sealed with the air purifiers running.

AAQI is falling. So I have high hopes for a better day tomorrow. AQI 92 down from 103 yesterday, but on the other side of the county down to 62. Inside, we are able to keep it way down. So the difference between inside and outside is vast which contributes to how awful so feel every time I go out. Lewis is still refusing to usr a puppy pad. I am worried about how this affects him, though he doesn't show a lot of symptoms. It cannot be good for a 14 year old dog.

I hope things are improving for everyone.

39 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

I am so sorry for all of you dealing with worse air quality than us.  Last night it was 117 and hard to breathe when I stepped outside.  It was 168 just 20 minutes away where my kid does his activities.  He did not go.  It just wasn't worth it.  But I cannot fathom how difficult it must be in NYC or any place that went orange. 

Today is supposed to start clearing out, but all our windows and doors will stay sealed with the air purifiers running.

NYC went maroon--434--on Weds night! Where we are, the local monitors are now Green. Yay

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, freesia said:

NYC went maroon--434--on Weds night! Where we are, the local monitors are now Green. Yay

Holy moly! 

One of our previous homes had me going insane, dealing with clay dust that coated everything, including my lungs.  I was thrilled when we moved here but it took years for that to clear out enough for me to be able to breathe normally when I laid down.  NY sounds frightening right now.

I'm glad you're back in the green!  I'm hoping we get there by the end of today or tomorrow.

• Like 1

I feel like the comparisons to x number of cigarettes are….weird.  Smoking a few cigarettes for a few days isn’t likely to leave much of an impact.

It’s becoming clearer that wildfire smoke exposure can actually cause some epigentic changes that remain lifelong:

https://cnprc.ucdavis.edu/can-early-life-exposure-to-wildfire-smoke-alter-our-genes/#:~:text=Early life wildfire smoke exposure,the University of California%2C Davis.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8473101/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I feel like the comparisons to x number of cigarettes are….weird.  Smoking a few cigarettes for a few days isn’t likely to leave much of an impact.

It’s becoming clearer that wildfire smoke exposure can actually cause some epigentic changes that remain lifelong:

https://cnprc.ucdavis.edu/can-early-life-exposure-to-wildfire-smoke-alter-our-genes/#:~:text=Early life wildfire smoke exposure,the University of California%2C Davis.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8473101/

I think it is a simplistic thing for people who are not deep diving into the information to know that air quality in a certain range is bad for your health. 

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

I think it is a simplistic thing for people who are not deep diving into the information to know that air quality in a certain range is bad for your health. 

*blinking eyes slowly*

Someone on a news channel said something stupid this week like smoke isn’t dangerous, didn’t they. 🤦😂🫣

….off to go google

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

*blinking eyes slowly*

Someone on a news channel said something stupid this week like smoke isn’t dangerous, didn’t they. 🤦😂🫣

….off to go google

Was this a host???  Holy cow, that is sad.  Maybe in the 70s we didn't know that, I don't know.  I feel like that was the excuse for so long that "we" didn't know that smoking was dangerous.

33 minutes ago, Idalou said:

I guess it's ok to post? Just making obscene lies, nothing new here under the hazy sun

That's just bizarre. I suppose he's never heard of black lung disease in coal miners from that "innocuous" very fine soot 🙄 (actually, it's quite likely he thinks that mining and burning coal is an industry we should be fighting to expand, rather than replace with cleaner energy industries). But really, that's a stunningly ignorant statement.

eta: Oh, he's a former tobacco lobbyist. That makes sense.

Edited by KSera
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Idalou said:

I guess it's ok to post? Just making obscene lies, nothing new here under the hazy sun

And the Left are the crazy ones?????? I just can't with these people. 

Any day now, I am expecting FoxNews to go full on Flat Earth and advocate making gold from urine, treating skin irritations with dung. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

And the Left are the crazy ones?????? I just can't with these people. 

Any day now, I am expecting FoxNews to go full on Flat Earth and advocate making gold from urine, treating skin irritations with dung. 

I read a quote the other day (not sure I'm allowed to name names but you can look it up) that declared globes to be be a conspiracy. She insisted globes are "everywhere" and wondered why, if the earth is actually round, would "they" (the globe people I guess?) have to try so hard to push their agenda.

It's freaking crazy town out there in make believe land. 🤦‍♀️

I should add this wasn't like a twitter thing, it's a head of a state's certain political party. Pretty influential position to not "believe" in globes.

Edited by MEmama
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

17 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I read a quote the other day (not sure I'm allowed to name names but you can look it up) that declared globes to be be a conspiracy. She insisted globes are "everywhere" and wondered why, if the earth is actually round, would "they" (the globe people I guess?) have to try so hard to push their agenda.

It's freaking crazy town out there in make believe land. 🤦‍♀️

I should add this wasn't like a twitter thing, it's a head of a state's certain political party. Pretty influential position to not "believe" in globes.

Where is the facepalm emoji when you need it?????? 

• Haha 3

On 6/7/2023 at 10:32 AM, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

None of our A/C units actually fit tight to the windows, and there’s always about a half inch gap letting in air.  Our house is older and nothing is designed for it.

Expanding foam insulation. 

For the window units and anywhere that doesn't have a tight seal (lets in a draft). 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, katilac said:

Expanding foam insulation. 

For the window units and anywhere that doesn't have a tight seal (lets in a draft). 

I use foam pipe insulation around our window AC units; it's malleable and easy to remove and it's what we already had on hand. I use the same pieces when we need to run our generator in winter and have to keep the window cracked for the electric cord to run inside.

We only have our AC units in for maybe a week out of the year though, if at all.

I have wondered about the expandable foam--how easy is it to remove? 

Edited by MEmama

Good luck. I look back - we did nothing about the smoke from the 2019 bushfires, it didn't even occur to us. Since then there have been so many people with health issues. This is a small town, under a thousand, and there has been one fatal aneurysm, two fatal strokes, two brain tumours, several women with breast cancer diagnosed in the last 6 months, two women with leukaemia (elderly, who died) and three heart attacks - and this is just who I happen to know. 

• Sad 6

On 6/7/2023 at 10:32 AM, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

None of our A/C units actually fit tight to the windows, and there’s always about a half inch gap letting in air.  Our house is older and nothing is designed for it.

Foam weatherstripping that is slightly larger than the gaps would help to seal the gaps.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Hardware-Weather-Stripping-Foam-Tapes/N-5yc1vZc3e3

Sika backer rod might also work. You’d want it just slightly larger than the gap.

On 6/7/2023 at 3:00 PM, Wheres Toto said:

We were talking about this at work today.   It looks like we'd have to head pretty far west or southwest to get away from it.   Maybe Tennesse?

I am in middle TN and we have been having bad air quality as well. There is visible smog, near record high temps and high pollen levels to boot. We are running our A/C with the high rated filters 24/7, we have a HEPA air filter in our bedroom and we basically don't go outside.

I used to live in Idaho and we had wildfires every year. There was a ten mile stretch of road between the base and town that had nothing on either side but sagebrush. Every year before fire season they would burn a fire strip on each side of the road so that when the fires started they wouldn't burn right up to or even jump over the road. There was many a time I drove down that road with flames 10 feet high on each side. It felt like I was driving through hell.   

One year we had fires so bad it looked like we were in a white out blizzard. We couldn't see 10 feet in front of us and the ash was much bigger that regular snowflakes. It was surreal because we were pretty far from the actual fire and in a pretty isolated area. So it was like being in a blizzard in the wilderness but it was hot out. We were traveling so we just headed home and drove until we got out of the fallout area. 

PS. I just saw that we are supposed to have high winds here today so maybe that will dissipate some of the smoke and pollen here.