Menu

I'm tired of being the motivating force that keeps the ENTIRE household moving.

I remember my mother finding being a mom exhausting and she didn't do much mothering. My mil also mentioned how much work being a mom was for her since her dh was not very involved. I think being mom is just a very tiring job. I like the perks but being on so much is overwhelming at times.

All my little circle of people, anyway. Mom, wife, teacher, girlfriend, daughter-in-law, daughter, counselor, scullery maid, housekeeper... aw, heck, you gals know the list.

I just wish for 3 days that time would just STOP for everyone else in the world, so I could get caught up a little. Just a little. Think that'll ever happen? :glare:

But this responsibility will pass. Sometimes it scares me to think that I will wake up one morning and have gone, seemingly overnight, from all this responsibility, to none. Oh, I know I can find something to do with myself then, but it is kind of strange to consider it.

Cassandra, you are not alone. Let's just keep taking our vitamins, friends!

All my little circle of people, anyway. Mom, wife, teacher, girlfriend, daughter-in-law, daughter, counselor, scullery maid, housekeeper... aw, heck, you gals know the list.

I just wish for 3 days that time would just STOP for everyone else in the world, so I could get caught up a little. Just a little. Think that'll ever happen? :glare:

But this responsibility will pass. Sometimes it scares me to think that I will wake up one morning and have gone, seemingly overnight, from all this responsibility, to none. Oh, I know I can find something to do with myself then, but it is kind of strange to consider it.

Cassandra, you are not alone. Let's just keep taking our vitamins, friends!

naughty list ;)

roflol, sorry, it just took me a minute to realize you didn't mean girlfriend, but girl friend.

You mean, like when your MIL comes to help out with the new baby, and you arrive home from the hospital babe in arms -- she asks to hold the baby, and once she has the baby, looks at you in all seriousness and asks, "So, what's for dinner?"

And then your dh looks at you and says, "yeah, it's about dinner time, what are we having?" :cursing:

OH, and NO, dh will never do that again!:glare:

I was just told last night that she's coming in January to help out again -- and is planning to stay at a hotel... hmmm

Looks like I'm putting in an order with Dishing Up Dinner! HA!

naughty list ;)

roflol, sorry, it just took me a minute to realize you didn't mean girlfriend, but girl friend.

In that I kind of play two roles with dh, if you know what I mean; that was what I intended. The term wife should be sufficiently encompassing but I find myself having to shift gears mentally for date time!

Then I thought, gosh, it could mean girl friend, too.

The first thing you thought of was the only connotation I did not consider. Sheesh! How in the world would I make time for that, too?!!!

In that I kind of play two roles with dh, if you know what I mean; that was what I intended. The term wife should be sufficiently encompassing but I find myself having to shift gears mentally for date time!

Then I thought, gosh, it could mean girl friend, too.

The first thing you thought of was the only connotation I did not consider. Sheesh! How in the world would I make time for that, too?!!!

Lol, that's how my dh and I know we'll never be splitsville. At the end of the day, who has the energy? That and he's the greatest guy ever, and for some reason thinks I'm wonder woman.

I was definitely given pause though. TMI? Lol.

I am so there right now. Does anyone have the answer?????

I don't know if it's an answer or not -- but I think I'll go on strike this weekend. The walls can't fall down in just two days! :D

Can they?

I don't know if it's an answer or not -- but I think I'll go on strike this weekend. The walls can't fall down in just two days! :D

Can they?

LOL! I tried this a couple of mos ago. After a day or so, I had to *tell* dh that I was on strike. He's too oblivious otherwise. :glare:

That is exactly what I was thinking yesterday as I was going to the grocery store. Why do I have to plan who will pick up whom at the airport and why do I have to plan, shop for and prepare meals for 11 people for 2 weeks? Why do people keep asking me when WE are putting up the Christmas tree? Everyone knows where it is. And why did my husband ask what we are putting in the kids' stockings and what days we going skiing and if I made reservations? Why did my brother call me to see what was in the bag of ski clothes he left here last year? And why am I supposed to plan the itinerary for 11 people for 2 weeks and make the reservations and clean the house and make sure we have enough toilet paper and beds and mittens and sleds and everybody's favorite coffee creamer and breakfast cereal? And then my hubby asked what We are doing for new year's. What? I was supposed to plan THAT too?

Whew. I feel better now.

I think I just might sit out the rest of the holiday and let somebody else take over.

Regarding the possible strike:

Just be prepared to rebuild come Monday.

And do a couple loads of laundrey.

Oh, and the dishes, you know no one will do the dishes.

You'll probably need to go grocery shopping too.

Are you sure you want to go on strike?

Edited by lionfamily1999
erg, too many posts popped in at once

There is a side splittingly funny Stuart McLean story (in his books and also avail as audio of him telling the story & he's a GREAT storyteller) called "Dave Cooks the Turkey" in which Dave's wife Morley talks about how her life is this never ending train with her being the engine dragging everyone through to start of school, lunches, thanksgiving, school play, out of town trip to relatives, etc etc etc & then Christmas comes & you can't enjoy it because you know that come Jan 1, just when you thought you reached the end of the track, everything is recoupled to your engine & you find you're at the beginning again ...... It's a really really funny story in which she asks him to be in charge of just ONE thing - the turkey. Chaos ensues.

If you can get a hold of the audio & listen to it with your family, do! When we first heard it, I had to keep stopping to a) laugh really really hard; and b) pump my fist in the air and say "did you hear that?! I feel like that! Listen!"

Listening to "Dave Cooks the Turkey" is one of our Christmas traditions....

I hear ya!!

I tell everyone to pick up after themselves~I'm done..

Well now I have a dining room table we can't see because it's piled full of junk.

If I don't pick it up, it doesn't get done.

Today I told everyone that we are getting this messed cleaned up tonight and if we have to finish it tomorrow, so be it..

It's frustrating!

I took off with my brother on weekend road trip, a few months back. Dh and Miss Toddler had a great weekend, and I learned that he is actually capable of dressing her in clothes that match, but only in extreme circumstances- like if I'm in a different state.

Think I'll do it again when the young master reaches toddlerhood.

:)

Rosie

P.S About the mess thing. Get yourself a large cardboard box and stick it outside the back door. You can't make people (especially those older than you) pick up, but the house will be a lot less cluttered if all that stuff is out the back in that box. Who's got time to figure out what belongs to who and where it should go?

Edited by Rosie_0801

Regarding the possible strike:

Just be prepared to rebuild come Monday.

And do a couple loads of laundrey.

Oh, and the dishes, you know no one will do the dishes.

You'll probably need to go grocery shopping too.

Are you sure you want to go on strike?

:confused:

Gee -- when you put it that way, going on strike sounds like a LOT of work! :lol:

I'm hear you girl....I'm tired of being the motivating, pivotal force in our family. It's Christmas. We are traveling for Christmas, and then moving when we come back....a do it yourself move...what would you think of cloning? There just isn't enough of me to go around....and I wonder why my poor menopausal brain feels like a Maine fog? I visit my parents in their retirement home, and am considering asking if there is a spare suite :tongue_smilie: Just think...the most complicated decision is whether I want Ranch or Italian dressing on my salad...sweet!

No....I really don't want to wish away the remaining years with my teenagers, but sometimes that Retirement Home looks might tempting :D

Sometimes I certainly feel like that.

Overall though, dh is pretty good at making sure I get down time. The thing is, his solution to any stress I am feeling is just not to do it, don't take the kids anywhere, stay at home and just relax. Its not so easy when the kids have classes and I have other commitments to just not do them- abd he doesnt offer to do them for me, even though he could. But sometimes, it is necessary to take a break. It's cereal or leftovers for dinner here rather more than I would care to admit.

Alternative to striking: go away for a weekend. Now my sons are 17 and almost 14, so it's not hard labour on DH when I'm gone, but nonetheless it's a little reminder of all I do.

Last month, I booked a first class train ticket and went 5 hours away to visit my mom on her birthday. They wined and dined me on the train while I read my book and listened to podcasts, my mom picked me up at the station, I ate out at almost every meal, seeing friends, heard my sister and niece sing in their women and girls choir, and wended my way home after 3 days away (wined and dined on the train again).

My family actually expressed IN WORDS that they had missed me a lot, my cooking and **cough** organizing things. The kitchen was spotless. It was just what I needed!