Menu

Make up questions for the over 50 crowd

DawnM

So.....I need some make up.  I need easy/quick/but effective.

What do you use?

I have been looking at some things online but I hate not trying it first.   

Jones Road

Thrive

And there is one more, can't remember.   I DO NOT wear a lot of make up, but I could use a bit, and a bronzer.

And skincare......I have NO eyebrows!   I am looking at some eyebrow growth serum.   And I have no eye lashes to speak of.....need serum for that too.

HELP!

I suggest scheduling a makeup session at Sephora.  They don't have Jones Road, but they have a lot else.  They'll give you samples. I posted my general routine in Quill's thread the other day.  I do like Thrive's eyeliner. 

• Like 1

Since you mentioned 'no eyebrows to speak of' and I have the same problem (due to thyroid issues), I use (and really like) this eyebrow powder:  Anastasia Eyebrow Duo.  I did a make-up consult at Sephora years ago and this is the one thing I still keep buying even though I gasped at the price at the time; definitely worth the $$ to me.  (Normally I'm a drugstore make-up gal).

Edited by VickiMNE
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VickiMNE said:

Since you mentioned 'no eyebrows to speak of' and I have the same problem (due to thyroid issues), I use (and really like) this eyebrow powder:  Anastasia Eyebrow Duo.  I did a make-up consult at Sephora years ago and this is the one thing I still keep buying even though I gasped at the price at the time; definitely worth the $$ to me.  (Normally I'm a drugstore make-up gal).

I second this; I love It and use it regularly. 

• Like 1

This as my “foundation”—protects from sun damage AND gives light coverage 

A little bit of this to smooth things over. 

This lightly on my cheeks/forehead. (I don’t care for blush). I love this stuff, but as a cheaper alternative I’ve read the Physicians Formula bronzer is great and I might try that when this runs out. 

This for brows. I did one of those free consults at Ulta *years* ago and came away with this and I’m still repeat buying it.

I love the cheap NYX butter gloss in neutral shades and mascara is easy since there are so many good ones. 

Happy shopping and good luck finding things you love!

2 hours ago, VickiMNE said:

I was hoping to actually get a hair growth type serum.   I am horrible at "putting on eyebrows" myself.   

8 hours ago, Katy said:

I suggest scheduling a makeup session at Sephora.  They don't have Jones Road, but they have a lot else.  They'll give you samples. I posted my general routine in Quill's thread the other day.  I do like Thrive's eyeliner. 

Why Sephora?   Just curious.

Do any of you use hyaluronic acid products for wrinkles?   

I haven't wrinkled horribly, but psoriasis has now spread to my face.   You can't tell by looking as much, but I sure can tell on myself.   I NEED to put my psoriasis cream on my face at night.....but I don't.  

10 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Why Sephora?   Just curious.

Because they have a wide variety of high end brands. Department store salespeople will often do makeup for free but they can only sell the brand they work for.  They’re really good at listening to what you want IME, and there’s a wide variety of products for different skin types. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I haven't wrinkled horribly, but psoriasis has now spread to my face.   You can't tell by looking as much, but I sure can tell on myself.   I NEED to put my psoriasis cream on my face at night.....but I don't.  

I use Oil of Olay Regenerist Night Cream day & night. They added HA a few years ago.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, DawnM said:

OH!  I thought Sephora was a brand name so it would just be the Sephora brand.   I see.

Sephora is a store that carries most high end brands. They do have Sephora brand also, and some of its good. It’s generally cheaper than other high end brands. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

I was hoping to actually get a hair growth type serum.   I am horrible at "putting on eyebrows" myself.   

It’s expensive, but supposedly you can use Revitalash on eyebrows with good results. I have not used it so I can’t vouch for that, though. I’m thinking I saw it on Angie Hot and Flashy (YouTube).

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, VickiMNE said:

I'm not much of a makeup girl. I really didn't start wearing anything (eyeliner and mascara) on a regular basis until my eye lashes started thinning and I needed to fight my eyes disappearing behind my glasses. But now my eyebrows have done a vanishing act and I would love to try this powder. How do you use it?

• Like 1

Also these lashes changed my life.  

https://reignlashes.com/collections/lash-subscription

Lol. I love them.  I had the lash extensions put on several times but it is so time consuming and more expensive.  These Reign lashes are great…..there is a slight learning curve to learning to put them on but now I can put them on faster than I can put on mascara and have a much better look.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I'm not much of a makeup girl. I really didn't start wearing anything (eyeliner and mascara) on a regular basis until my eye lashes started thinning and I needed to fight my eyes disappearing behind my glasses. But now my eyebrows have done a vanishing act and I would love to try this powder. How do you use it?

I lightly dab an eyebrow brush in the center (to pick up both tones) and then gently, starting at the inner side (by the nose) of the brow line, gently dab/stroke over the lashes that are there and continue in the direction of a natural brow.  The duo-tones, the light stroke, and the fact that there are generally some-even-if-near-colorless hairs there, means my brow ends up looking very natural.  

And, as PP posters have said, you can go to Sephora and get a consult. Way back (more than 10 years ago) you could pay $50 and then all the money would be credited to makeup purchased.  I requested that consult as a gift from in-laws and was quite satisfied.  I also suspect they might just let you try some and guide you with just that one item.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DawnM said:

I do. I use LaRoche Posay B5 serum and I love it. It has made a huge difference in my skin on my face. I wash my face with Cerave Facial Wash for normal to dry skin, apply the B5 serum and then apply a moisturizer. It’s been a long time since my skin was this soft. My make up goes on so easily and I only have use a small amount. My NP at the dermatologist (who is an amazingly beautiful woman who is rocking her silver hair) recommended this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075VX4QVM?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-reorder-t1_k0_1_7&amp=&crid=11BE90NH9808X&sprefix=b5%2Bposh&th=1

• Like 2

I have a 5 minute make up routine that works super well for me - a couple of cream eyeshadow sticks, eye liner and mascara - all from Thrive; and a somewhat sheer lip color.  

Since you also asked about hyaluronic acid, I highly highly recommend treating yourself to a facial and getting the aesthetician to recommend one that would work best for you.   I was ready to pull the trigger on one and she had gotten a ton of negative client feedback on one particular brand, so she recommended something I would not have picked on my own.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, happi duck said:

I keep thinking this thread must be about creating questions for people over fifty...

What was life like in the 1900s?

Did you have a Cabbage Patch doll?

What is your opinion of The Bay City Rollers?

*waddles away and quietly closes the door behind myself*

Fantastic.

No.

Loved them.

😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, happi duck said:

I keep thinking this thread must be about creating questions for people over fifty...

What was life like in the 1900s?

It was rough.   Back then Apple meant a fruit, bae (bay) meant a place near the water, fly meant cool, and woke meant you were not asleep.   

Did you have a Cabbage Patch doll?

I did!   And I actually made one.

What is your opinion of The Bay City Rollers?

I only could listen on Saturday nights.

*waddles away and quietly closes the door behind myself*

Awe, you can stay.....bring the popcorn!

• Haha 3