Menu

I need ideas for centerpieces for MIL’s Celebration of Life?

Ginevra

The florist who did our centerpieces was worried they might not have enough flowers the day after Valentine’s Day. He suggested doing an arrangement of framed photos, nice frames, different sizes if that happened. It didn’t, we ended up with them all on the memory table, but it was a really lovely idea and could be dressed up.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Did she collect anything, make anything, have any specific hobbies, favorite books, special recipes?  Obviously flowers can easily be done but springing off Spryte's idea is to incorporate something that was meaningful to MIL.

Yes, she was a ballroom dancer in the past. I had a thought about something to do with that. Maybe each centerpiece has a couple old photos of her dancing and then flowers and pretty stuff. 

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, Quill said:

Yes, she was a ballroom dancer in the past. I had a thought about something to do with that. Maybe each centerpiece has a couple old photos of her dancing and then flowers and pretty stuff. 

And you could include a "dance card" at each table that people could sign their names to, or write a short note? 

(That might be corny / inappropriate. Please ignore if so.)

I think personalizing the tables is a lovely idea. ❤️

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

And you could include a "dance card" at each table that people could sign their names to, or write a short note? 

(That might be corny / inappropriate. Please ignore if so.)

I think personalizing the tables is a lovely idea. ❤️

Oh! That’s a sweet idea! 

43 minutes ago, Quill said:

Actually - some thoughts are coming together. She was a big gardener and canner. So maybe a Mason jar incorporated in there. 

I am also a gardener, and when it's my time, my fellow gardener sis-in-law knows my wishes to hand out small printed cards with the flower seeds embedded into the paper. ❤️ 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

For my mom's reception after the church service, her very good friend and neighbor that she always played Skip-Bo with provided the floral arrangements for the tables. I don't know if she made them or had a florist make them, but there were vases of flowers and some kind of stem that had a fan of Skip-Bo cards in it. A nice personal touch--loved it.

• Like 1

Have you seen photo lanterns? They can be a nice centerpiece and can go home with people afterwards for a sweet memento. You can buy cheap ones online and use battery votives so there is no fire risk. 

Remember, not all tables have to be identical. You can also Check Facebook marketplace for leftover wedding decor for some budget items. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tap said:

Have you seen photo lanterns? They can be a nice centerpiece and can go home with people afterwards for a sweet memento. You can buy cheap ones online and use battery votives so there is no fire risk. 

Remember, not all tables have to be identical. You can also Check Facebook marketplace for leftover wedding decor for some budget items. 

I haven’t seen photo lanterns. Thank you for another idea. 

9 hours ago, Starr said:

We found frames at the thrift store for not much for dd s wedding tables centerpieces. Ballroom dance pictures sound really lovely. 

Just so you know, Hobby Lobby has a set of 5 frames (they come in black, gold, and white) for $5.99.   They are 4x6.

I got 15 of them (3 packs) for my dad's memorial for this Saturday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My dad's centerpieces this Saturday will be cloth pieces he got from his hospital in Africa, African carvings, and photos of him.   We will put a box under the cloth pieces for some raised areas, but it will be simple.

I keep having to tell myself it is a memorial and not a wedding.   I can get carried away.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DawnM said:

Just so you know, Hobby Lobby has a set of 5 frames (they come in black, gold, and white) for $5.99.   They are 4x6.

I got 15 of them (3 packs) for my dad's memorial for this Saturday.

Perfect. I was planning to go to Hobby Lobby just to see what might present itself. 

I attended a memorial service recently for a gentleman that was an avid birdwatcher and watercolor artist. I really wanted to go around and take a photo of each table, as they were so beautiful. Just little snapshots in to his life, his binoculars, he birding books, art supplies, some of his smaller paintings and sketchbooks, etc. The venue was at the local lake where he often led birdwatching hikes. I came home and told DH that was exactly what I wanted. The location and all. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for this.  My MIL's (low-key) funeral is Saturday.

I bought 4 bouquets at Walmart today, & one of the granddaughters will arrange them into 2 vases, which we can use in the service, and then on the tables when we eat.

We will arrange framed photos around on the tables, and we're using fabric from her fabric stash for the tablecloths.

I'm so grateful for these suggestions to spur our creativity --- she was a sewist.

Thanks!

• Like 4

We did not to center pieces because it was in the middle of covid, and so it was much more come and go and keep your distance, but we did make up little favor bags with a note that said, "these are a few of her favorite things". We included microwave popcorn, cookies, dark chocolate and a little chicken figurine among other things. 

Edited by LifeLovePassion
  • Thanks 1