Menu

8 passenger vehicles???

We have a 7-passenger Plymouth Voyager. When we had our 6th child, dh went to a junkyard, bought another 3-seater bench, and exchanged it for the 2-seater bench. It's a bit tight to get to the back 3-seater - so that's the area for our young, spry boys squeeze into. Otherwise the van has served us well for the past 10 years, 6 of which have been as an 8-seater van.

HTH,

GardenMom

We love our 8-passenger Sienna. Like another poster said, the Sienna's 8th seat is full-sized and very comfortable for adults, unlike the Honda's, which is more of a mini seat (we looked at Hondas and Siennas in 2005, so I'm not sure if Honda has changed this drawback or not). It's easy to take the seats out, and you can use the van with only 7 seats if desired.

We've never had a bit of trouble with our van. It's huge inside and, well, it's a Toyota. 'Nuff said.

Ria

We drive a Honda Pilot, but if we didn't live in the snowy mountains with lots of dirt roads around, we would have gone with either the Toyota Sienna (DH's preference) or the Honda Odyssey (my preference).

You can get an 8-seater Sienna or a 4WD Sienna, but not an 8-seater, 4WD Sienna. (Or at least, you couldn't in 2005.)

I have had 4 booster seats in my Sienna. I put them next to the windows, 2 in the middle seat and 2 in the far back. Then I had kids who didn't need boosters sit in the middle seat in each row. It was snug, but everyone fit. I'm now to the point where only one child needs a booster when I have this particular group of kids in the van and it is a lot more comfortable for everyone.

LauraD in MN

For that number of child seats, the Sienna would be better than the Odyssey, because of it's full size 8th seat. You have a better chance of fitting the seats you need where you want them with the Sienna's full size 8th seat. The smaller Odyssey seat limits that. I mean, you can fit three narrow (thinking Sunshine Kids Radian) car seats across that middle row, but 3 of any other kind..eh..you are more likely to run into some snags.

But I've not spent time in either one, personally.

I can vouch for an 8 seater Suburban and Expedition though. I've had 6 seats in the Expedition. My eldest just got out of his booster not long ago. But I still have 5 (2 boosters, 2 forward facing and 1 rear facing) seats in there. The thing about the Exp is minimal leg room in the rear, though can't recall how it compared to our Suburban. It's working just fine for our kids...but I know my Eldest wouldn't be too comfortable back there and he's not that tall. He sits in the middle row due to lack of head rests in the 3rd row. But anywho...

I miss the cargo space of my 'burban...that much is for certain!

I love my SUVs, but I could/would totally do a Sienna 8 pass. :)

HTH

I absolutely love my 8 seater Chevrolet Suburban! It is awesome to take trips in, you can throw everything but the kitchen sink in it and still have room to relax and enjoy the ride. Will hate to get rid of it if that should ever become an option. We took a trip to Myrtle Beach this past summer and averaged around 17 mpg. And that's with it loaded down. Not bad for such a spacious vehicle.

We just bought a Honda and I know that the center seats will fit 2 boosters and a large 10 year old with no trouble at all.

And when you fold down one of the rear seats, you can fit three bikes, 4 camp chairs and and 5'10" kid. (He won't be happy about it but he will fit.

Wow. I had no idea there were mini-vans that had 8 full seats for passengers. This vehicle would need to seat two adults up front, 6 kids in the back, with 4 of those seats being car seats/boosters. Would these really fit? I thought the only option for this type of seating would be a full size van.

Um, Heather!? Are you announcing that you're pregnant with quads??:lol:

Okay we have a Honda Odyssey and 6 children.....1 in an infant seat, 2 in big carseats and 2 in booster seats. When my husband put in the "babies' carseats" he put all three across the middle and the boosters in the back. It wasn't pretty but it worked. We did end up switching one to the back and brought a booster to the center "smaller" seat. It works well for us. I am sure in the future as little legs grow we will need more space. FWIW, our kids are ages 9 to newborn.

People or kids sitting between two car seats sounds painful to me, even before an accident. They're squeezed between two hard, sharp objects, that are not designed to protect them at all.

I really recommend taking all your car seats to the dealer and making sure there is room for three across each bench.

PS. Yukon XL here. I wanted 4WD too.

Um, Heather!? Are you announcing that you're pregnant with quads??:lol:

LOL...no.... BUT we are about to get a new vehicle and we are looking to the future...wink, wink... possible foster/adoption of 4 siblings...IF we can move back to NC this summer as we hope. It is all very hypothetical at this point but we'd like to have the right vehicle just in case. :D

LOL...no.... BUT we are about to get a new vehicle and we are looking to the future...wink, wink... possible foster/adoption of 4 siblings...IF we can move back to NC this summer as we hope. It is all very hypothetical at this point but we'd like to have the right vehicle just in case. :D

Oh wow!!!!! I was kidding! How awesome. It's so nice that you are trying to keep a sibling set together. :grouphug::grouphug: