Menu

Well-Trained Bodies - February

Jenny in Florida

1 hour ago, Miss Tick said:

Last week the temperature was 10°/feels like negative something every day in the morning when I would normally run. Today, however, was 50°! It was so nice! A touch windy on the part without trees or buildings to block for me, but so nice. I just wanted to share that lovely feeling with people who would get it. 😊

We have had similar temperature fluctuations here. I had an oncologist appointment this morning, so treatment got moved up, which meant I had a lot of free time this afternoon. So, I went to town and did some errands. Afterwards, since it was so warm, (a balmy 46°) I went for a walk at the local cemetery. Which probably sounds morbid to a lot of people, but it's rather old, has many trees to match, and so provides interesting scenery. Most of the roads are paved, which might account for my record time of 1.9mi in 32min.

• Like 7

I’ve been pretty lazy the last couple days, but I did walk this morning. I also made a PT appointment for my shoulder that’s been giving me problems. And I’m scheduling a weekly time with a personal trainer to do some heavier weight training. These were my two goals this month so I feel good about the progress. Hopefully my shoulder is fixable so I can start doing upper body work. I’ve been concentrating on core and lower body so far.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, knitgrl said:

Afterwards, since it was so warm, (a balmy 46°) I went for a walk at the local cemetery. Which probably sounds morbid to a lot of people, but it's rather old, has many trees to match, and so provides interesting scenery. Most of the roads are paved, which might account for my record time of 1.9mi in 32min.

I love exploring old cemeteries. They are often beautiful, and there is so much history to find (and sometimes imagine),

• Like 3

I did not make it to yoga last night. I felt a lot better and more steady as the day went on, but it still didn't seem like a good idea to risk an activity that required my head to make quite that many changes in elevation. Instead, because both my adult kiddo and I were going stir crazy, we all packed up and went to the outlet mall for a couple of hours. I need some new clothes to make the transition back to being in an office four days a week, so we had a good excuse. Still not a normal day, movement-wise, but I clocked a little over half my daily goal, which is better than the under-1000 steps I had managed the previous couple of days. 

I forgot to turn on my alarm this morning, meaning I got a very late start to the day. I scooted the dog out the door for her wander around the block.  (She's on restricted activity until her vet appointment at the end of the week.) Then I rode the stationary bike for 17 minutes/5.7K. I figure I can go for a walk solo again this evening, when my husband is home to rescue me if something goes wrong. 

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 286.8 of 500K
Activity Streak: 2

• Like 6

Hit a month of walking and exercise a few days ago. Started using 5lb weights for bicep exercises. I'm still using the 2lb ones for triceps and shoulders for now. Continuing daily yoga. I prefer trying to fit in 20 minutes but some days its only 10. Haven't done any hiking between weather and a last minute day trip into the city (which I figured counted as a sub since we used public transit and walked everywhere).

Started with week 1 of c2 5k this week since the weather has been nice. It'll be colder in the morning next week but I'm hoping after that it'll warm again. The current plan is daily walking, c2 5k three times a week, daily yoga, and strength exercises 6 days/week.

No weight or measurement changes yet.

Edited by Elfknitter.#
  • Like 8

Crazy busy at work but had to walk to the pharmacy twice at top speed for prescriptions -  they weren't ready the first time. Apart from that, just Kegels in the car and a late-night supermarket trip - Husband tweaked his back and I didn't want him heaving shopping bags around.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Eos said:

A 2 mile walk down the hill then down many stairs to the river today.  I feel very out of sorts since I've been visiting my mom and haven't been doing my morning routine.  I will restart tomorrow.

I totally understand. I had to skip out on my morning routine last week because of an early appointment, and I was a little bit cranky all day. And that was only one day.

• Like 6

I lingered too long over my mocha, so instead of my 33 min dumbbell workout video, I found a different Jessica Smith video that was just 21 minutes. Never know quite what you're going to get when you choose by length of video, so this time I ended up with a lower body workout that's easy on the knees. I thought it might be too easy at first but it hit some good muscle groups--I may be feeling it in my hips and glutes later.

• Like 5

Just now, knitgrl said:

I totally understand. I had to skip out on my morning routine last week because of an early appointment, and I was a little bit cranky all day. And that was only one day.

I already feel better after doing it this morning!  I'm chalking this week up to a learning experience, lol.

Hoping for a good walk later.

• Like 6

I really thought this vertigo bout was more or less over. As of Tuesday evening, I felt okay enough to go shopping for a couple of hours with my husband and adult kiddo. Yesterday, I stuck close to home just in case, but took no medication and felt pretty okay. This morning . . . I had to ask my husband to bring me the medications before I got out of bed and to take the dog outside before he left for work.

I drugged up, conked out on the couch for about 90 minutes and have now made it to my desk. However, this will likely mean another very low activity day. And it does not bode well for the weekend I have scheduled, which includes two 5Ks and a full-day volunteer shift at the big annual fund-raising event for one of our local animal rescue organizations.

Ugh.

In any case: I opted to ride the stationary bike last night, rather than go walking, because it was a little chilly and I really just wanted to watch The Empress on Netflix, since I haven't yet dived into a new audiobook. I peddled for an hour (19.9K). I finished up with a stroll around the block with the dog. Still didn't make my usual step goal, but I broke 10K, which was my hope for yesterday after a few days of nothing/nearly nothing.

Not sure what will happen today. I'm hopeful this morning's setback is just a blip and I will be able to do something later, maybe a seated cardio video and/or some more time on the stationary bike. However, I need to get through work first.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 307.2 of 500K

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Eos said:

A 2 mile walk down the hill then down many stairs to the river today.  I feel very out of sorts since I've been visiting my mom and haven't been doing my morning routine.  I will restart tomorrow.

Yes I love having a routine!

On 2/8/2023 at 5:44 PM, knitgrl said:

Did a short walk outside to get my heart rate up before a)the sun went down and b)my strength workout. I am looking forward to bumping up my weights from 1 to 2lbs.

You'll get there ☺️

On 2/8/2023 at 4:48 PM, Laura Corin said:

Crazy busy at work but had to walk to the pharmacy twice at top speed for prescriptions -  they weren't ready the first time. Apart from that, just Kegels in the car and a late-night supermarket trip - Husband tweaked his back and I didn't want him heaving shopping bags around.

Sorry for the busyness 

19 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Had a lovely walk around the historic district today. Weather was gorgeous and warm. It was a longer walk than anticipated because I walked about a million blocks the wrong direction before I figured out where the car really was, lol. But it was fun zipping around there. 

Lol nice

19 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

I hope you get some relief. 

Thank you 💗

10 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I really thought this vertigo bout was more or less over. As of Tuesday evening, I felt okay enough to go shopping for a couple of hours with my husband and adult kiddo. Yesterday, I stuck close to home just in case, but took no medication and felt pretty okay. This morning . . . I had to ask my husband to bring me the medications before I got out of bed and to take the dog outside before he left for work.

I drugged up, conked out on the couch for about 90 minutes and have now made it to my desk. However, this will likely mean another very low activity day. And it does not bode well for the weekend I have scheduled, which includes two 5Ks and a full-day volunteer shift at the big annual fund-raising event for one of our local animal rescue organizations.

Ugh.

In any case: I opted to ride the stationary bike last night, rather than go walking, because it was a little chilly and I really just wanted to watch The Empress on Netflix, since I haven't yet dived into a new audiobook. I peddled for an hour (19.9K). I finished up with a stroll around the block with the dog. Still didn't make my usual step goal, but I broke 10K, which was my hope for yesterday after a few days of nothing/nearly nothing.

Not sure what will happen today. I'm hopeful this morning's setback is just a blip and I will be able to do something later, maybe a seated cardio video and/or some more time on the stationary bike. However, I need to get through work first.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 307.2 of 500K

Ugh sorry for the setback 😞

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Started gabapentin and steroids - they said the steroids would make me all energetic they did not 🙂 maybe just the gabapentin making me so drowsy. Hopefully they help and the side effects aren't so bad tomorrow.

They did dry needling along with the shocky stuff at PT. 0/10 Do not recommend. Not fun! Afterwards I had a meeting and I was fighting back the tears. I just kept having little spasms. But I had a decent day yesterday. Seems like after a "good" day I'll have a bad day. I hope this is a worse before it's gets better kind of thing.

• Sad 5

54 minutes ago, Soror said:

Started gabapentin and steroids - they said the steroids would make me all energetic they did not 🙂 maybe just the gabapentin making me so drowsy. Hopefully they help and the side effects aren't so bad tomorrow.

I take gabapentin for hot flashes. But I take it right before bedtime. Maybe that might help?

2 hours ago, Soror said:

They did dry needling along with the shocky stuff at PT. 0/10 Do not recommend. Not fun! Afterwards I had a meeting and I was fighting back the tears. I just kept having little spasms. But I had a decent day yesterday. Seems like after a "good" day I'll have a bad day. I hope this is a worse before it's gets better kind of thing.

I find dry needling horribly overwhelming in the moment and for that day. Then it's much better the next day. I found dry needling unbelievably effective for a badly-locked-down-muscle spasm that went on for months and months. In October of 2021 I fell in a heavy rain and landed first on elbow, then hip, and the force pushed my shoulder up and wrenched my neck. I did All The Things but remained in a lot of pain and reduced mobility. Dry needling last summer finally broke the spasm pattern. I had several treatments. It is what enabled me to be able to go canoeing last summer, for which I was so grateful. 

Dry needling did not help my pinched nerve last semester. The only thing that could help that is getting the bone spur off the nerve. 

I really hope you find it helps.

• Like 1

@Soror I should also add--I found gabapentin overwhelmingly drowsy for the first week and then it was way better. Friends felt they were drowsy for only a few days before adjusting. If you find the drowsiness persisting, try a lower dose. 

In my case, the doctor prescribed "the old-people dose" (those are HIS words, LOL) because I told him how oversensitive I am to meds. That dose was three 100mg pills per day. I chose to take ONE per day, not three. This was all with my doctor's blessing. (He's an orthopedic surgeon.)

The standard dose is more than the old-people dose, though I'm not sure what exactly the dose is. My primary care physician shared her personal experience with me on that. She routinely prescribed the standard dose for people for many years. Then she had an injury and turned to gabapentin and found that she actually felt intoxicated on it. She took the much smaller dose and found that she could function better. She then switched to always prescribing the lowest possible dose and raising that dosage if a patient needed it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

I find dry needling horribly overwhelming in the moment and for that day. Then it's much better the next day. I found dry needling unbelievably effective for a badly-locked-down-muscle spasm that went on for months and months. In October of 2021 I fell in a heavy rain and landed first on elbow, then hip, and the force pushed my shoulder up and wrenched my neck. I did All The Things but remained in a lot of pain and reduced mobility. Dry needling last summer finally broke the spasm pattern. I had several treatments. It is what enabled me to be able to go canoeing last summer, for which I was so grateful. 

Dry needling did not help my pinched nerve last semester. The only thing that could help that is getting the bone spur off the nerve. 

I really hope you find it helps.

8 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

@Soror I should also add--I found gabapentin overwhelmingly drowsy for the first week and then it was way better. Friends felt they were drowsy for only a few days before adjusting. If you find the drowsiness persisting, try a lower dose. 

In my case, the doctor prescribed "the old-people dose" (those are HIS words, LOL) because I told him how oversensitive I am to meds. That dose was three 100mg pills per day. I chose to take ONE per day, not three. This was all with my doctor's blessing. (He's an orthopedic surgeon.)

The standard dose is more than the old-people dose, though I'm not sure what exactly the dose is. My primary care physician shared her personal experience with me on that. She routinely prescribed the standard dose for people for many years. Then she had an injury and turned to gabapentin and found that she actually felt intoxicated on it. She took the much smaller dose and found that she could function better. She then switched to always prescribing the lowest possible dose and raising that dosage if a patient needed it. 

Again- thank you for the information. She gave me 300 mg to be taken at night. I've just taken it 2 nights now. I didn't feel drunk yesterday but drowsy and not 100%- like my brain was a bit slow. Already this morning I can tell I'm not quite as out of it. I'll have to see how I feel after I take the steroids ( have to take those with food and I can't eat for at least 30 min after thyroid meds). My pain was better last night and I am functioning way better this morning than I usually do in the am. I could go to the bathroom and wipe like a normal person with minimal pain- that is a big thing. My next PT is Tuesday. I'm not sure at this point if I'll be up to doing the dry needling again, depends on how I feel by then (hoping much better with the steroids).

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Soror said:

I've been on gabapentin (or, as my husband and I call it, "Gabba Gabba Hey") for a few years for my neuropathy. The first day I took it, I came out of a Publix and couldn't remember what city I was in, let alone where I left my car, and all I wanted to do was sleep. I did adjust, however, and now take it twice a day and don't notice any significant drowsiness, even with the larger bedtime dose. I take 600mg in the morning and 1200mg at night.

• Like 3

Surprisingly I’ve been good at doing my functional resistance exercises, terrible with cardio. Don’t feel like walking enough, too cold for pickleball. Need to find some cardio, or at least get steps in. A little too sedentary otherwise. Might have to find an exercise class or something to keep me going in the cold months. 
I have had a shoulder issue for the last 8-9 months. Nothing serious, but limited mobility and afraid to do a lot of upper body work not knowing what it actually was. So I saw a PT yesterday and she said I’d be ok😀. Worked me over and Gave me stretches and exercises, so I’m hopeful that I will be able to fix that up in the next couple weeks. Have my first strength training with a trainer next week which was a goal I’ve had for the last 6 months! 

• Like 8

Still very busy at work, but managed to squeeze in sun salutations and my Thursday and Friday weights at lunchtime.  After work I walked a brisk half hour then a much slower 40 minutes.  A peaceful wind-down to a classical concert with period dance that I am about to attend. 

We have booked a few days in Orkney to celebrate my 60th in a few months.

• Like 7

Another nearly-no-movement day for me yesterday. I felt less wobbly towards the end of the day and had every intention of going for a walk or riding the stationary bike, but my brain was so foggy that it took me forever to get through the schoolwork I absolutely had to finish. By the time I looked up, it was almost midnight. All I can claim for yesterday was a 1K stroll around the block with the dog.

Today is looking pretty dismal, too. I woke up with that lovely vertiginous feeling again, managed to get the dog outside, took some medication (trying to get by on only half of one pill so it doesn't knock me out completely) and gave myself 90 minutes on the couch to "feel better" before going to my desk. 

I'm now officially extremely cranky about this, because I have had to give up the two 5Ks I was supposed to do this weekend (beginning to test whether I can do multiple events in one weekend so I can start planning/training for one of the runDisney challenges next season). I'm also scheduled to volunteer for a fund-raising event for an organization I support, both the dog and I have doctor's appointments and my adult kiddo has a friend visiting for a couple of days, all of which require driving I'm not safe to do. So, now my poor husband--who hates driving--is on the hook. 

Maybe tonight I'll feel up to stationary biking, at least?

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 308.2 of 500K
Activity Streak: 3

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

6 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I've been on gabapentin (or, as my husband and I call it, "Gabba Gabba Hey") for a few years for my neuropathy. The first day I took it, I came out of a Publix and couldn't remember what city I was in, let alone where I left my car, and all I wanted to do was sleep. I did adjust, however, and now take it twice a day and don't notice any significant drowsiness, even with the larger bedtime dose. I take 600mg in the morning and 1200mg at night.

LOL I was not that bad but did have word recall problems. Like I knew I knew something but couldn't pull the details out of my brain for anything. Today was way, way, better. My brain is functioning decently. I'm hoping this is a temporary thing. I'm sorry for the bad days for you. It is very frustrating. I've not had any formal exercise in almost a month. I'm trying not to think about it and just focus on healing. It is hard when you are used to being active.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Wow, the amount of physical activity I've done since leaving Costa Rica is pitifully low! We've had crazy freezing rain and I'm swamped with work. Tennis yesterday was cancelled due to freezing rain. 

I've only managed to get out for a dog walk once a day most days, but yesterday I didn't do a thing. I want to go back to someplace warm! 

• Like 7

More schoolwork last night. I submitted the discussion post that had to be done by midnight shortly after 10:00, so, yay? By the time I ran out of steam on checking academic items off my list, took the dog outside and put her to bed, it was 11:40. But I decided to climb onto the stationary bike and do what I could to count something for the day. I ended up logging about 18 minutes/5.5K.

Walked around the block with the dog this morning. I am now eating a quick breakfast, after which I plan to again get on the bike for whatever time I have (about 10 minutes, probably) before letting my husband deliver me to the fundraiser. I'm taking a folding chair and will do my best.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 314.4 of 500K
Activity Streak: 5

• Like 8

Yesterday morning I woke up in the wee hours panicking that we had forgotten to pick up dd from her foster care home. I immediately was fully alert so my brain could figure out what day it was, and it wasn't the day we were supposed to pick her up. But what a stupid thing to panic about--she's fine in her foster home if we didn't pick her up. Anyway, never fell back asleep, had tummy issues, and lingered in bed instead of exercising in the morning. I felt better during the day but exhausted from a long week and was a complete couch potato last night. But up this morning and did Day 22 yoga.

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

I made it through the fundraiser yesterday and only had to be steadied before falling down once.

Part of that may be because I spent most of the day sitting on the ground playing with and talking to (and painting with) dogs. So, not a lot of balancing required. I haven't seen final numbers yet, but it sounds like we did pretty well in terms of money raised from the activity, so I'm glad I made it. 

I did no other exercise yesterday, however, because I was pretty fried by the time I got home.

Walked a bit with the dog this morning and then decided, since the world was no longer spinning and I had neither fallen down nor barfed in a few days, that I was going to go to the local 5K. It was a nice event, smaller and more manageable than the Disney races while still generating some energy and fun vibes. I maintained the same pace I've been doing for the last few events, which felt good considering I have basically been a lump for the past week. 

I won't count the 5K towards my regular seasonal challenge, so I will try to get some more something in later today. It'll be tough, because I have a short paper due tonight that I haven't really started, but I'll do what I can.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 318.1 of 500K
Activity Streak: 6

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 7

On 2/10/2023 at 5:06 PM, wintermom said:

Wow, the amount of physical activity I've done since leaving Costa Rica is pitifully low! We've had crazy freezing rain and I'm swamped with work. Tennis yesterday was cancelled due to freezing rain. 

I've only managed to get out for a dog walk once a day most days, but yesterday I didn't do a thing. I want to go back to someplace warm! 

I hear ya! I was in Florida last week for a few days, and I was sooooooooooooo thankful to soak in some sun and feel genuinely warm for once. It's honestly hard to be back in the colder temps of the Midwest. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Got in some walking on Saturday and today. I'm starting to experience some of the fatigue they promised with radiation, but the drs really stress staying active in order to counteract it. I did not really feel like going out today, but it wasn't too bad; we had sun and it was in the 40's. I thoroughly enjoyed composing my nature journal entry for the day. 1.7mi in 33min today.

• Like 6

well crap.

I LOVE my Zumba and hip hop dance classes!  BUT- almost every week I hurt my back (always same place, it’s bothered me there for like a year). I do all low impact versions of the moves. And still wind up hurt 😞

Maybe it’s just too much bending and quick movements.

I really don’t want to stop going- working out with a group is so much fun & especially dancing.

My other activities are walking, biking, water fitness, yoga. But nothing is a workout like the dance classes.

I dunno what to do. I feel like I need tai chi or something “easy”  (not available here) but I want  cardio, and a group class set to music. Not for the elderly, 😂 

headed to the hot tub to soak my back 

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Sad 6

We have about an inch of fluff on the ground and a 2-hour delay for school (we are not good snow drivers here--too rare an event.) I just did Day 25 yoga because it was a bit longer than Day 23 or Day 24 and I have the time. I managed 20 min on the treadmill yesterday--that's it.

• Like 5

I'm travelling for work right now, and visiting an office in Cape Breton island, Nova Scotia - the furthest east in Canada I've ever been. It's on the far east coast of Canada. The people are amazing- so warm and inviting - but the weather turned nasty. My in-person meetings are all cancelled today because of a Nor'Eastern  winter storm that hit this morning. I'm able to switch over to Zoom meetings, fortunately.

I just worked out in the hotel fitness room, doing an hour on the elliptical. Later this afternoon I'm going to try and shovel out my rental car from the snow drift and find a place to eat dinner. Oh the joys of winter in Canada! 😀

• Like 6

I had several days of not getting anything in other than stretches. Dh and I went to a food festival Saturday and walked around for a few hours but it was a leisurely festival pace so I don't even know if that counts.

Yesterday we went for our usual 2.8 mile walk and I did a Di Hickman yoga video on hip stretches when we got back. My SI joint, IT bands, and hips have been bothering me for several days now. I probably shouldn't have done so much walking since that tends to aggravate my hips but I miss my walks when I don't go.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Hilltopmom said:

well crap.

I LOVE my Zumba and hip hop dance classes!  BUT- almost every week I hurt my back (always same place, it’s bothered me there for like a year). I do all low impact versions of the moves. And still wind up hurt 😞

I did Zumba briefly for a while and really loved it, too. However, I did something wrong during one class, was too stubborn to acknowledge I had done it, kept going and ended up with a torn meniscus. 

I quit going after that.

I also love group classes and anything that feels like dancing, but I haven't been able to find anything that is manageable for my little old lady body that doesn't take place at 11:00AM on a weekday. 

There's some decent stuff on YouTube, but it's not the same as the energy you get in person.

I hope you find something that works for you.

• Like 1

I had a recurrence yesterday of the vertigo. I drove myself to the doctor in the morning, felt fine, came home, made and ate breakfast, worked for a couple of hours . . . then stood up to go to the bathroom and found myself spinning again. I made it to the bathroom in time to barf, then took a pill and went back to the couch for the afternoon. 

Felt steady enough to go for a short walk (1.5K) with the dog this morning and was planning on more exercise indoors, but my adult kiddo had a minor crisis involving a glass of water and a stack of books, and I ran out of time to do anything more than a short stationary bike ride (12 minutes/4.1K). 

I'm frustrated, honestly, by the way the stupid vertigo is getting in the way of my life again, and hanging on such a long time this time around. I keep thinking I'm all clear, and then it smacks me again out of nowhere. 

The doctor is sending me for vestibular rehabilitation, a form of PT that is supposed to help with balance issues caused by inner ear problems. She seems to think it may resolve not only the vertigo but the assorted small-scale balance issues I have just throughout my normal days. (Like falling over during yoga.) My husband is pushing to just send me for another ride in the Epley chair, but I am happy to take the doctor's recommendation on this, since it sounds like I may end up with a routine of exercises I can do to manage the problem on my own and prevent/minimize the possibility of recurrence. 

Unfortunately, the first intake appointment they have isn't until late April. So, I just have to hope that things settle down until then. 

Another "I have so much schoolwork to do tonight" evening, but I hope to get out for another walk or at least do some time on the stationary bike at some point before bed this evening.  

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 338.6 of 500K
Activity Streak: 8

• Like 4

@Hilltopmom that’s a bummer on your cardio. I can see how that would be fun! Are you warming up and stretching before the class starts? Sometimes those classes start pretty quickly with the movement. 
I have a back issue, thought it was a core issue. But I don’t think it is, because when I stretch it out well, I can do all the core work I need. But if I start the core work first, my back seizes almost. Mine is certainly muscular though. 

• Like 4

Treatment this afternoon followed by a short nap, then fixing dinner. I have been focusing on things that are relatively quick and easy. Tonight was a creamy vegan mushroom soup. Once dh and dd8 went out for Girl Scouts, I spent some time on the chat board and then convinced myself to go down to the basement and do some strength training, upping it to 2lb weights.

• Like 6