Menu

Well-Trained Bodies - February

Jenny in Florida

Welp, I never did get out for that second walk or even get back on the stationary bike last night. I ended up stuck at my desk doing schoolwork until about 1:00, then just turned on a podcast and tried to sleep.

That, of course, led to the problem of being too tired to get out of bed when my alarm went off and then not having time for the full morning routine before work. The best I could do was about 2.75K walking with and without dog company and about 15 minutes of strength and stretching.

I am determined to do some kind of additional movement before the end of today. 

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 343.4 of 500K
Activity Streak: 9

• Like 6

Treatment lasted longer than usual because the cameras were being wonky or something. Bleah. Fortunately, my mother made dinner for us today, so I was able to stop by her house to pick it up after treatment, get the kids from co-op, come home and warm up dinner so everyone could eat and get out the door for TKD. Even though it was a really nice day and warm, I did not feel like doing much of anything. But I went out for a walk anyway. Not very speedy, but I feel that walking for 30min is a win all on its own. I am still tired, but less so than before my walk.

• Like 8

@knitgrlthat is a win! Walking really helps my mood and mental health. I hope you are getting similar benefits when you go. 

I walked today- slower and shorter. About 3 1/2 miles. I was surprised how tired my legs were from yesterday’s hills and resistance workout. I added a new squat and my lower body was feeling it. Looks like I need to add more hills going forward. 

• Like 7

I searched YouTube for a 20 min dumbbell workout and found one I liked. Fitbymik--45 seconds of some move, 15 seconds rest. She used 8 lb weights, I used 5. Seems I keep needing just 20 min instead of 30. Today I used up some morning time making a healthy lunch. I should do like dh and make it the night before but I always feel too tired. I have more energy in the morning.

• Like 6

Just keeping up with walking after lunch most days: it irons out the post-lunch blood sugar spike.  Yesterday I did an hour with weights - 4 pound, but expecting to move up to 6 pound shortly - while I watched Vera.

It's sunny but very windy here: I'll walk up the 'den' (valley) at lunchtime, which might be a bit more sheltered.  This weekend I'll be trying to write my essay again.

If anyone is interested, this podcast includes lots of the latest science on aging well.  I appreciate that the scientist interviews is clear about what is known, what is suspected and what is not yet clear: https://joinzoe.com/learn/podcast-how-to-maximize-health-in-your-later-years

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

If anyone is interested, this podcast includes lots of the latest science on aging well.  I appreciate that the scientist interviews is clear about what is known, what is suspected and what is not yet clear: https://joinzoe.com/learn/podcast-how-to-maximize-health-in-your-later-years

Thank you for this. I've got a little drive this morning, so that's good timing for me.

--------------------

I've been crazy busy. Not a ton of work stuff yet but so many other things that it has been a bit overwhelming. But this coming week is looking like a calmer one.

I did 2 days of PT this week. I have still made very little progress. The steroids got me a bit of improvement but that was minimal and mostly gone after I finished them. I'm back to thrice daily ibuprofen. I tried to just do twice daily after finishing the steroids but it was too much pain.

I did a couple of walks this week. The first one went ok-- it was only a half mile and very slow. The second I took the girls to the park and did a bit over a mile. I had lots of pain with that even at a snail's pace. PT says I still need to abstain from exercise. She said I could try some yoga but nothing standing -- mostly just things on my belly or back. 

I've got an order for an xray but there is no local place with my new insurance. I'm hoping to get that done Monday or Tuesday. I don't have enough time today between work and family obligations.

PT thinks it is perhaps a bulging disc-- hopefully not a herniated one. IDK This is the first injury I've had that a little rest didn't cure and the first I've had to be so inactive for so long (5 weeks tomorrow). I'm trying hard to be patient.

I've put on weight. With a month of high stress, wonky schedules, no exercise and not great eating it was a bit inevitable. I'm trying to get back on track with my eating, which got really screwed up with all the time being gone- first with my aunt in the hospital and then job stuff. I'm trying to get into a new routine but until I can see clients on my own and make my own schedule it is going to be a bit in the air. I've changed my morning routine to an earlier breakfast so I'm getting one meal at a regular time and good food. 

One day at a time.

Cross your fingers that the xray gives me some answers.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Soror said:

Thank you for this. I've got a little drive this morning, so that's good timing for me.

--------------------

I've been crazy busy. Not a ton of work stuff yet but so many other things that it has been a bit overwhelming. But this coming week is looking like a calmer one.

I did 2 days of PT this week. I have still made very little progress. The steroids got me a bit of improvement but that was minimal and mostly gone after I finished them. I'm back to thrice daily ibuprofen. I tried to just do twice daily after finishing the steroids but it was too much pain.

I did a couple of walks this week. The first one went ok-- it was only a half mile and very slow. The second I took the girls to the park and did a bit over a mile. I had lots of pain with that even at a snail's pace. PT says I still need to abstain from exercise. She said I could try some yoga but nothing standing -- mostly just things on my belly or back. 

I've got an order for an xray but there is no local place with my new insurance. I'm hoping to get that done Monday or Tuesday. I don't have enough time today between work and family obligations.

PT thinks it is perhaps a bulging disc-- hopefully not a herniated one. IDK This is the first injury I've had that a little rest didn't cure and the first I've had to be so inactive for so long (5 weeks tomorrow). I'm trying hard to be patient.

I've put on weight. With a month of high stress, wonky schedules, no exercise and not great eating it was a bit inevitable. I'm trying to get back on track with my eating, which got really screwed up with all the time being gone- first with my aunt in the hospital and then job stuff. I'm trying to get into a new routine but until I can see clients on my own and make my own schedule it is going to be a bit in the air. I've changed my morning routine to an earlier breakfast so I'm getting one meal at a regular time and good food. 

One day at a time.

Cross your fingers that the xray gives me some answers.

Fingers and toes crossed.

• Thanks 1

I'm heading home after two weeks at my mother's and very little exercise.  Skipped some of my mornings and started noticing almost immediately, so I've started back up, but that's kind of been it.  I walk a little tiny walk every day, a couple of two miles days but whew I am ready for some vigorous hikes and walks!  As I begin to come here more to care more for her I need to figure out how to keep and up  my daily workout.  That's for another day.

• Like 8

The world is still a bit wobbly over here. I've had a couple of days, or at least partial days, when I felt like the vertigo was really and truly passing and I was going to be able to start getting back to normal life . . . only to get slammed again. Wednesday, I had been feeling pretty okay and assumed I would be fine to drive my adult kid to the airport on Thursday morning (one-day trip and up and back for a job interview). I overslept by a few minutes, meaning I didn't have adequate time to really assess how I was feeling, took one of the pills that doesn't make me sleepy, just in case and headed to the car. 

Let's just say that I really should not have been behind the wheel, especially as someone who has spent much of the last 3.5 years writing online courses about driver safety. It was okay. I made it, but I was very aware that my perception and coordination were off, and I was stressed and exhausted by the time I got home. 

I laid down for an hour and then worked on my laptop from the couch for most of the morning.

A few days ago, when I thought I was on an upswing, I had signed up for a free virtual class through the library on yoga for balance yesterday evening. I pulled myself up and went to my bedroom exercise area, where I have a bar along one wall, to attend class. I made it through about 30 minutes, as long as she was doing only standing poses. (Still had to modify a couple, since turning my head to either side seems to be problematic.) When she got down into tabletop, though, I had to quit, since changing elevation is another trigger for the vertigo. 

So, that was it for movement yesterday. Sigh.

This morning, I tried for at least around the block with the dog, but didn't make it.

I did do 20 minutes on the stationary bike before I had to climb off and wait out a little bit of world spinning. 

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 351.6 of 500K
Activity Streak: 1

• Like 8

@Jenny in Florida and @Soror I am so sorry you are both having such frustrating times right now. I hope you can find solutions soon.

Today I had my first personal training workout. It went well. Some of the exercises were the same as I do on my own, but she does have some extra equipment we used, and she pushed me harder than I push myself, so that's a plus. I committed to more sessions - just once a week - to see how it goes. She also uses some type of body scan to get body fat information - so that should be interesting 🙂 But she scans once a month, so more data to see if I'm making progress. 

The weather has turned yucky again here, so not sure what I'll do today to get some steps in. Bundle up and take the dog I guess. 

• Like 8

Still kind of unsteady -- I wouldn't trust myself to drive yet, and I've told my family that they will need to make the final WDW outing before my adult one goes back to NYC without me -- but I did walk a somewhat slow and careful 1.13K with the dog this morning. 

I followed that with a 20-minute seated dumbbell workout video and a 5-minute seated cardio one.

If the weather holds and I continue to feel as not-entirely-terrible as I do now, I may try to beg my husband to take me shoe shopping and for a wander around the shopping center, just to get out of the house and move a little more.

Otherwise, I'll try for some stationary bike time.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 352.7 of 500K
Activity Streak: 2

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 8

Just did Day 26 yoga (need to go back and do 23 and 24, but they're short and I wanted a little longer today when I have time). Yesterday was only 10 min on treadmill. I need to get my morning routine back in shape so I get a full 30 min of exercise.

My weight is also up. Some is getting my period (so not menopausal yet), some is stress eating after school. Lent begins on Wednesday and I always give up sweets and just try for a bit more sacrificial life. Dh and I will both renew our focus on eating healthy and not too much.

Work will be way over the top until spring break. We are piloting two curriculums back to back in Algebra 1 (lots of figuring stuff out and way too much creating our own problem sets since both curriculums have mostly on-line work). This week is an Alg 2 test so I need to edit last year's test a bit and write a review lesson. Then we hit a new unit not yet well-defined (different from last year) and I'll have to write a bunch of homeworks for that. Dh is super busy too; at least we can commiserate together as we work on work in the evenings. Today we'll get out for a trip to an outlet mall.

• Like 7

Sidelined by stomach bug for a few days. Half my class has had it this week so I’m not surprised. Literally laid on couch watching Netflix two days straight. Haven’t done that since covid!

Did 10 min of yoga tonight so that’s something I guess. Ate all carbs for 2 days since crackers and toast was all I could convince myself to eat. 
Should be back to normal tomorrow.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

No shoe shopping yesterday, as the afternoon kind of got away from us with various chores. I did do 30+ minutes on the stationary bike (11.2K) and another slow ramble with the dog (1K). 

Because I log so much more distance on the bike than I do in an equivalent time walking, I'm keeping up with the seasonal challenge, but that's about it. My regular weekly routine has completely broken down, and I have met my daily step goal exactly once in the last two weeks. 

Felt somewhat better this morning and decided to let the dog walk me for a bit. As usual when I let her take the lead, we ended up at the dog park. There were no other canines around, but she had a good time snuffling and exploring off-leash while I watched from a bench. Total walk was about 3.3K, so that's a start for the day.

I was feeling someone wobbly and queasy by the time I made it home, unfortunately, so I have now taken half a pill and am ensconced on the patio resting my head until I get it together.

Still hoping I might talk my husband into shoe shopping, since I really need work-worthy shoes before next Monday.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 368.2 of 500K
Activity Streak: 3

• Like 8

It was a busy week and will get busier as I get closer to my Greece trip in March. I haven't done much and am just trying to squeeze in a bit here and there. I hope to get some time for a walk or bike ride this week.

Yesterday we went to our local zoo with some family members (including a 10yo girl with boundless energy). If nothing else I got my steps in and was outdoors all day.

• Like 10

I'm back home after my quick trip out to the east coast. I'm been swamped with work trying to catch up and recover from the lack of sleep.

I've been walking the dogs most days and have just finished two days in a row of playing tennis. I still miss Costa Rica a lot. I'm finding the snow and cold really annoying. This is the first winter that I remember where I haven't enjoyed some cross-country skiing and skating. The snow and rain has resulted in really poor skiing conditions. Thank goodness for the indoor tennis membership! It's been a real life saver, as has taking the puppy for walks and watching him run around and interact with other dogs.

@Soror Congratulations on getting the new job! I missed reading about what kind of job it is. I hope you're enjoying it, and I hope your nerve pain is a little better. 

@Jenny in Florida I hope your vertigo goes away really soon and you're able to get back to normal activities.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

No additional meaningful exercise happened yesterday. 

I woke up this morning feeling pretty good and headed out for a walk with the dog. Got about 1.5K away from the house while mentally planning all of the useful things I might do with my day off . . . and got smacked with a wave of vertigo that nearly landed me on the ground. I did get myself steadied and stumbled to the nearest bench to sit down for about 10 minutes. After that, was able to make my way home (although I am dead sure any neighbors who saw me passing assumed I was drunk). 

Taking a slightly shorter route home means I managed only 2.6K. There is a small possibility that the vertigo will pass and I will be able to do some more walking or some time on the stationary bike later today.

I am due to hang out with my son this afternoon to help talk him through some getting-his-life-together stuff, but fortunately he can come pick me up and then drive me home later. 

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 370.8 of 500K
Activity Streak: 4

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

31 min on the treadmill this morning. And a later start to the day, if not an actual later wake-up time and more sleep. That cat WILL insist on breakfast at 5:15 and when I try to sneak back to bed, the dog whines and pokes her way into the bedroom to say that she knows the cat was fed and she would like food too. But she's a little more patient and was willing to wait until 6:30. Now to shower and eat, and then I will go into school on a holiday because of all there is to do. As will several other math teachers.

• Like 8

Friday I did a cardio workout on my mini rebounder. Found some good music, so that was fun. Then I did some long stretching. Saturday I took several walks, short and long and got lots of steps in. Yesterday, just a dog walk. 
I was surprised how much I felt the Friday workout with the trainer. Exercises seemed similar to some I do at home, but she obviously pushed me more and worked some different muscles. 
Didn’t get going early enough for a big workout this morning, but I’m hoping to do a combination rebounder, weight workout later today. I need to stay on track with the resistance days now that I have a scheduled Friday workout. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Toocrazy!! said:

Friday I did a cardio workout on my mini rebounder. Found some good music, so that was fun. Then I did some long stretching. Saturday I took several walks, short and long and got lots of steps in. Yesterday, just a dog walk. 
I was surprised how much I felt the Friday workout with the trainer. Exercises seemed similar to some I do at home, but she obviously pushed me more and worked some different muscles. 
Didn’t get going early enough for a big workout this morning, but I’m hoping to do a combination rebounder, weight workout later today. I need to stay on track with the resistance days now that I have a scheduled Friday workout. 

Oh my gosh! A rebounder- how fun! We have a good one the kids used to play on that I took to my classroom. 
I think I’ll bring it home and give it a try. Never thought to look for workout videos using it- just found a bunch on YouTube.

Do you have a handle on yours? Mine does not.

• Like 5

I do not have a handle. I think it used to, but I’ve lost it. I think I’ve had this one for 20 years! It’s been one of those things I keep coming back to. 
I don’t follow a routine, I just put on dance music and start dancing/jumping/moving! There are tons of routines out there though. 
Have fun! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Toocrazy!! said:

I do not have a handle. I think it used to, but I’ve lost it. I think I’ve had this one for 20 years! It’s been one of those things I keep coming back to. 
I don’t follow a routine, I just put on dance music and start dancing/jumping/moving! There are tons of routines out there though. 
Have fun! 

I want one of these.  Q: do you have to wear two bras??

• Like 1

Let's talk about transitions. 

I have been struggling to stay on track since we returned from our road trip last week. Also struggling with maintaining a healthy rhythm since my gym closed down abruptly. I had my whole routine there. I had people I enjoyed connecting with. I have stuff to work with at home, but that's been lackluster at best. 

Some of the former gym employees have started working for a different tiny gym, and one of them urged me to give it a try. I went to look it over today and was so disheartened. It's dimly lit (purposely, for atmosphere) with lots of weight equipment (nifty bench-press setups and the like) and not as much of the equipment I like to use. And no ellipticals. I adore running on the elliptical--it gives so much good in terms of aerobic capacity and balance and full-body work without straining my achy knees. They have bikes, but I have a recumbent bike at home and would like to use an elliptical at the gym. There's a stairmaster there as well that I could try, but oy. I've never done that before. Figuring out new, moving equipment with a bunch of guys milling about sounds icky. When I was there today there were lots of beefy guys grunting and sweating through their weights routines. So intimidating. The atmosphere is nothing like my former gym. Though to be fair, I was told that there were more younger guys there today because it is a school holiday, so maybe I would have gotten a different impression on a different day at 10am, yanno?

I was sorely tempted to either join an online service or a Pilates gym or Planet Fitness or something, but that will take some figuring out. I don't really like trying to follow along on a video screen, and I have to make adjustments based on my weak hands/wrists and joint issues.

I've had two big gym transitions in the last several years. The first one was when ds was still in high school and I joined Planet Fitness. I was wearing braces on both hands at that time and struggling with tons of joint pain, and I was soooooo overwhelmed with trying to figure out how to use the equipment without hurting myself. My awesome, then-teenaged son sensed the struggle and volunteered to come with me. He figured out all the machines and also figured out what I could modify to use safely, what I shouldn't use, and what I could use without worry. He showed me how to do it all, just quietly and without fuss. We'd go work out at the same time, each doing our own thing. And it was easy to do it all because I just loved that my amazing, sweet boy was there. Then a few years later, I was in really, really rough shape with terrible balance and joint issues after a serious illness, and my PT decreed me ready to graduate from PT even though I couldn't walk a straight line. A good friend dragged me kicking and screaming to the tiny gym I ended up joining, and I signed up with a remarkable trainer who also works as a PT. She saved my life in so many ways. I was terribly intimidated about being at the gym with all my difficulties, but I stayed focused on her and powered through it until I was genuinely strong and well and found that I really liked working out at this gym.

A simple transition doesn't feel simple to me, kwim? When I was intimidated and overwhelmed and unwell before, I had help. Now I'm strong and fit and should be fine, but I'm still very shy about working out in a new gym and very shy about the modifications I have to make for my specific issues. The modifications feel intimidating all over again because the equipment at this gym is different.

Dh has urged me to just sign up with the intimidating gym for two months so that I have continuity in my workouts. Strength training has been incredibly helpful for pain relief and mobility, so it's important that I keep on keeping on. (So is gyrotonics, but in a different way. Doing both strength training and gyrotonics is a magic combination.) The gym is actually really cheap--it's the same cost as Planet Fitness. We're hoping to take a trip in late April, our first proper vacation-without-kids in many years. On that trip we'll be walking or hiking most days and we also hope to do some bike riding. Frankly, I must keep training to be strong for this as my knees and neck/back are just so dysfunctional. So dh's thought was for me to sign up with one of the trainers that I know and like at least until our trip. I can work with her one day a week and then do the same workout another time or two the same week. That keeps me on an aggressive strength-training regime with someone I like who also knows me, and I can ride bikes a lot or walk a lot on my own.

(I did check with my beloved, former trainer to see if she can do strength training again as the dissolution of the former gym effectively killed off her non-compete restrictions, but she is choosing to stay focused on gyrotonics. I'm glad she's enjoying her new stuff so much, glad I can still take gyro classes with her, but gosh I wish I could somehow combine strength training and gyro in one place.)

So I guess I could use some encouragement about all this icky new stuff. I've arranged to meet a trainer I like tomorrow. I'm determined to be brave, but I do not feel very brave. 

• Like 7

That is really hard. I’ve been trying to get myself to join a gym for the last 6 months, and finally got brave enough to sign up with a trainer just last week. I find the whole thing intimidating, but I felt like I needed some extra help to get myself in gear. 
I will say, I live in a pretty small town and there are at least 3 people I considered training with and a couple little gyms I could see myself in. Maybe ask around more? Maybe there is a better fit gym out there you don’t know about? Or know enough about? Some aren’t advertised really well. 
I like your idea of a personal trainer through your trip to keep you on track. That seems like a good solution for the interim. 
I’m sorry you have another transition to figure out. 
Also, in Instagram there seem to be a lot of PT’s posting exercise programs and tips. Maybe you can get your feed to pull those up. I’ve gotten a lot of good posts from pelvic floor PT’s once I watched one video.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Toocrazy!! said:

That is really hard. I’ve been trying to get myself to join a gym for the last 6 months, and finally got brave enough to sign up with a trainer just last week. I find the whole thing intimidating, but I felt like I needed some extra help to get myself in gear. 
I will say, I live in a pretty small town and there are at least 3 people I considered training with and a couple little gyms I could see myself in. Maybe ask around more? Maybe there is a better fit gym out there you don’t know about? Or know enough about? Some aren’t advertised really well. 
I like your idea of a personal trainer through your trip to keep you on track. That seems like a good solution for the interim. 
I’m sorry you have another transition to figure out. 
Also, in Instagram there seem to be a lot of PT’s posting exercise programs and tips. Maybe you can get your feed to pull those up. I’ve gotten a lot of good posts from pelvic floor PT’s once I watched one video.  

I feel your pain, and I'm so glad you've found a trainer to sign up with. It IS intimidating. Working with a sympathetic and knowledgeable trainer can really help get you over the hump.

The crux of it is that I have to make specific adjustments for my stretchy joints and my weak hands/wrists and neck. Lots and lots of trainers are just clueless on that stuff and frankly, overwhelmed. I cannot trust any random trainer, because I'll end up hurt. That's what makes it hard to simply ask around for a good trainer--I need one with the know-how and capacity to roll with the complications of my joint issues. 

It's worth researching more, and I really may end up somewhere else after our trip. Or maybe I'll adjust to life at this gym. In the meantime, it feels icky, kwim? 

Thanks for the encouragement.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

My awesome, then-teenaged son sensed the struggle and volunteered to come with me. He figured out all the machines and also figured out what I could modify to use safely, what I shouldn't use, and what I could use without worry. He showed me how to do it all, just quietly and without fuss. We'd go work out at the same time, each doing our own thing. And it was easy to do it all because I just loved that my amazing, sweet boy was there.

This is incredibly sweet, thank you for sharing.

The personal trainer sounds perfect for this time when you really need to stay in shape for your upcoming trip, which sounds amazing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Jenny in Florida I'm sorry you are still being plagued by the vertigo. 

@Harriet Vane I hate transitions too. I had to have a friend go with me several years back when I decided I was ready to join a gym again. My anxiety about it was through the roof. I get it. I agree with your dh I'd try the gym the trainers are going to-- and go during times you think younger guys are in school. Maybe hire one of the trainers you know to be with you for the first few times just to get used to the place.

---------------------------------------

I slept last night without pain! That is the first time in 5 weeks. I did take the gabapentin and ibuprofen but still yet even when I had the high dose of steroids or the night I took the oxy I still had pain. Have I finally turned a corner??? There have such small improvements it has felt like I've made no progress. Last week I was very discouraged because I had some pretty strong pain when I came off the steroids BUT after my pity part I realized --- there was a time I couldn't go to the bathroom in the morning without extreme pain and now it is just a bit of pain. (the position of sitting on the toilet hit the nerve in a bad way). I'm also able to dress- at worst I could hardly do that. Maybe there is hope.

Yesterday I spent a fair amount of time outside. I did some light raking. I tried shoveling some but that caused more pain so I recruited dd2 to help. 

I've been flailing around since I've not been able to exercise-- it's been compounded by the fact that my schedule has been so crazy. I've felt a bit unmoored. But this week is much, much slower. Dd1 is off school  2 days and I don't have all the appointments and meetings I had last week (I had a bunch of non-work stuff the last few month+). 

I decided I could have some time outside every day and really I need to. I want to make that a priority now that I have some time to breathe. I'm going to be trying some short walks (as long as I can do it without pain) and also some light yard work (again if I can do it without pain-- or I should say an increase in pain). 

And I still haven't had an xray--- that is a whole big thing as to that I won't go into. Sigh. Considering just going to the chiro or trying the sports medicine people that have free consultation for pain....

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Soror said:

@Jenny in Florida I'm sorry you are still being plagued by the vertigo. 

@Harriet Vane I hate transitions too. I had to have a friend go with me several years back when I decided I was ready to join a gym again. My anxiety about it was through the roof. I get it. I agree with your dh I'd try the gym the trainers are going to-- and go during times you think younger guys are in school. Maybe hire one of the trainers you know to be with you for the first few times just to get used to the place.

---------------------------------------

I slept last night without pain! That is the first time in 5 weeks. I did take the gabapentin and ibuprofen but still yet even when I had the high dose of steroids or the night I took the oxy I still had pain. Have I finally turned a corner??? There have such small improvements it has felt like I've made no progress. Last week I was very discouraged because I had some pretty strong pain when I came off the steroids BUT after my pity part I realized --- there was a time I couldn't go to the bathroom in the morning without extreme pain and now it is just a bit of pain. (the position of sitting on the toilet hit the nerve in a bad way). I'm also able to dress- at worst I could hardly do that. Maybe there is hope.

Yesterday I spent a fair amount of time outside. I did some light raking. I tried shoveling some but that caused more pain so I recruited dd2 to help. 

I've been flailing around since I've not been able to exercise-- it's been compounded by the fact that my schedule has been so crazy. I've felt a bit unmoored. But this week is much, much slower. Dd1 is off school  2 days and I don't have all the appointments and meetings I had last week (I had a bunch of non-work stuff the last few month+). 

I decided I could have some time outside every day and really I need to. I want to make that a priority now that I have some time to breathe. I'm going to be trying some short walks (as long as I can do it without pain) and also some light yard work (again if I can do it without pain-- or I should say an increase in pain). 

And I still haven't had an xray--- that is a whole big thing as to that I won't go into. Sigh. Considering just going to the chiro or trying the sports medicine people that have free consultation for pain....

@SororI'm so glad to hear you are seeing improvement! Yay! Count and celebrate every single one of those increments. 

So frustrating about the x-ray. I hope it all works out for you, whether simply healing on the path you're on or finding out more specifically what's causing all this pain so you can aid the healing. 

• Like 3

I rode the stationary bike for a little over 50 minutes (16K) last night.

After a conversation with my husband last night, during which I confessed how scary the vertigo during yesterday's morning walk had been and he made clear how stressful he finds it to know I am out and about and not necessarily keeping him informed when these things happen, I agreed to stick to circling the block when I go for walks alone--at least when he is not home and readily available to come get me if I need help-- until I get started on the rehab and have a chance to consult with "the professionals." 

So, this morning's walk was three times around the long block, just over 2K. I then did the 15-minute walk with weights video. 

It's yoga night, but I am iffy about whether I think I can manage it. If not, I'll do something else at home and, I hope, more walking and/or stationary biking at some point.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 388.9 of 500K
Activity Streak: 5

• Like 5

@Soror I'm glad you're finally seeing improvement and getting relief. Hope you can get that x-ray soon.

@Jenny in Florida I'm sorry vertigo is causing you such problems. I have BPPV which isn't nearly as troublesome as what you're experiencing but I understand how frustrating it can be. I hope rehab, when it gets going, will help.

@Harriet Vane That transitions sounds incredibly stressful. How did the meeting with the trainer go?

I'm trying to get back to something regular. Yesterday I did a 21 minute Yoga with Joelle video for hips and low back. Today dh and I went on a kayak tour at our zoo. It was only about 45 minutes but then we walked around the zoo a bit to get some steps in. We bought a grandparent zoo membership so we can take the kids and it came with 2 free kayak tours. We wanted to use it before it starts to get hot. Well, today near record temps were forecast but we already had it planned and there's no other day this week we could do it. It wasn't bad - low 80s and a nice breeze.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@Lady Florida.

Thanks for asking. It went well. There weren't any young guys at the new gym and it wasn't as crowded. The music was horrid--I like a good rap beat just fine, but often the lyrics are really foul. But, I do like this trainer and I could focus on her, and it was good that I signed up with her because she can orient me to all the apparatus. Also they had some nifty hand grips on several of the apparatus that are actually better/easier for my weak hands. The hand grips are thick and flat with a bend for the thumb. It'll all be okay at least for the time before our trip. I may suggest that they vary the music at least during daytime hours--can't hurt, might help. Bottom line is that it was good to get a proper strength training session in and it wasn't as icky as I feared.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

@Jenny in Florida I'm sorry vertigo is causing you such problems. I have BPPV which isn't nearly as troublesome as what you're experiencing but I understand how frustrating it can be. I hope rehab, when it gets going, will help.

BPPV is my official diagnosis, too. I had a full work-up the first time I had an episode (ENT, neurologist, assorted scans, etc.), and that's what they landed on. I went for a "fun" ride in the Epley chair, which seemed to knock things back to where they belonged.

• Like 2

I managed to get downstairs this evening and did some strength training with my 2lb weights. I dunno. Getting exercise done with chemo was easier somehow. The fatigue is real with both treatments, but chemo was only once every two weeks. If I didn't feel like it, I could give myself a half hour to muster up motivation to get out and do something. Now, I don't have that kind of time because of the daily travel for treatments. Or I have to wait until after dinner, and I am just fatigued AND tired.

I have been pretty good about doing some sort of school with kids throughout all of this, but since dd13 went with her grandfather, aunt and cousin to NYC for a few days, I was just not feeling the school thing today and told the younger kids to read some graphic novels I checked out of the library on the American Revolution and watch two episodes of Liberty Kids and call it a day.

• Like 6