Menu

Teaching toddlers to jump

Terabith

I think boosting our kids up while they tried to jump helped. Like, if he's doing the jump motion but not getting the push off right, lifting him at just the moment he would have gone up might help him get the feeling. 

Toddlers trying to jump are just about the cutest things on Earth.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

Jumping off something can help. 

I tried that today, and he absolutely couldn’t do it. He also can’t gallop. I really need to do a run through of his gross motor skills. He is very sweet and well behaved, and his speech and fine motor skills are fine, and he’s always happy and engaged. I worry that I’m overlooking his needs.  

My non-expert opinion is I wouldn't worry too much about it. Expose him to other kids galloping and jumping. As long as he's trying it's all good. 

I did know a few kids that age that were sort of delayed in gross motor skills, but mostly it's because they had parents who were afraid of them falling. Almost falling teaches a lot of gross motor skills. I think my youngest didn't jump until 3. Like at 2 she would just bounce/wiggle? then take a step.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Clarita said:

My non-expert opinion is I wouldn't worry too much about it. Expose him to other kids galloping and jumping. As long as he's trying it's all good. 

I did know a few kids that age that were sort of delayed in gross motor skills, but mostly it's because they had parents who were afraid of them falling. Almost falling teaches a lot of gross motor skills. I think my youngest didn't jump until 3. Like at 2 she would just bounce/wiggle? then take a step.

Okay, that makes me feel better.  My 2 year olds have almost all been able to jump.  My oldest jumped by 18 months for sure, and my youngest could jump by 15 months, which I remember because it was pretty early.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Terabith said:

I tried that today, and he absolutely couldn’t do it. He also can’t gallop. I really need to do a run through of his gross motor skills. He is very sweet and well behaved, and his speech and fine motor skills are fine, and he’s always happy and engaged. I worry that I’m overlooking his needs.  

Can he clap his hands behind his back or do his hands miss each other? You could make it an activity for everyone so you can see if he is out of line.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Corraleno said:

Maybe a rebounder would help? DS pretty much taught himself to jump as soon as he could walk by bouncing up and down on his crib mattress.

Oh gosh, you just brought back the sweetest memories of my youngest DS on the trampoline when he was barely walking. I think the existence of the trampoline is why I don’t really remember my kids trying to jump. I guess they learned to jump because of the trampoline. 

I do remember when my little brother discovered he could run backwards. He kept repeating the movement with this look of surprise on his face. It was adorable! 

• Like 1