Menu

I made curry for the first time

Indigo Blue

I love curry! My ex-MIL taught me how to make British curry as she is British. It was a staple dinner when I was married to her son. She sometimes serves it over chips (french fries)! 

My current husband doesn't like it though. So it's a special treat just for me when I do make it.

When we lived in Japan I big puffy heart LOVED Japanese curry from Coco-Ichibanya, a curry restaurant chain over there. Chicken cutlet curry with Naan bread is to die for lol!

I prefer my curry mild too so don't worry about not making it spicy. 😉 

ETA: A quick and easy curry sauce from most grocery stores is Golden Curry. You just put the 'blocks' in boiling water and it makes a very decent curry gravy. Then just add your meat and/or veggies. It does come in mild. 😉 

Edited by sweet2ndchance
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, sweet2ndchance said:

I love curry! My ex-MIL taught me how to make British curry as she is British. It was a staple dinner when I was married to her son. She sometimes serves it over chips (french fries)! 

My current husband doesn't like it though. So it's a special treat just for me when I do make it.

When we lived in Japan I big puffy heart LOVED Japanese curry from Coco-Ichibanya, a curry restaurant chain over there. Chicken cutlet curry with Naan bread is to die for lol!

I prefer my curry mild too so don't worry about not making it spicy. 😉 

ETA: A quick and easy curry sauce from most grocery stores is Golden Curry. You just put the 'blocks' in boiling water and it makes a very decent curry gravy. Then just add your meat and/or veggies. It does come in mild. 😉 

Ooo thanks. I have to tell you, the garam masala powder I used is so good! It’s Frontier Coop. The organic one. Yum.

• Like 2

I had a classmate tell me once that she knew she hated my lunch because she hates Indian food and could tell I had Indian food because it was yellow.

It was a Burmese dish.

"Whatever," she said. "Same difference."

I wish I could say she was young and just needed to get out more, but she was in her 40's.

Sounds great.  We make curries all the time here, I just assume it's a staple at everyone's house!  🤣  It's a good way to use random CSA veggies in the summer.  Everything tastes good in a curry! 

Last week I made a curry pie from GBBO!  Got a taste of India and a taste of the UK.  ❤️  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rosie_0801 said:

I had a classmate tell me once that she knew she hated my lunch because she hates Indian food and could tell I had Indian food because it was yellow.

It was a Burmese dish.

I wish I could say she was young and just needed to get out more, but she was in her 40's.

Since I went to the Sri Lankan market to get the bitter melons to make the pickles you suggested, I also picked up some Sri Lankan "Samba" rice (which is quite unique and pairs well with assertive side dishes) and a number of Sri Lankan "curry" packs.

For tonight's dinner I have Samba rice cooking and am about to put a sheet in the oven to roast, which on one half has "pressed" firm tofu cubes that I marinated in a mix of mango pickle, Sri Lankan curry, oil, and--in a "fusion twist"--several big scoops of my own freshly fermented sauerkraut.

The other half of the roasting sheet has trimmed broccoli pieces with oil and a "green Sri Lankan curry mix" that is quite unlike Indian curries, but really good.

Bill

• Like 6

1 hour ago, saraha said:

@Indigo Blue

Recipe?!?

I haven’t made it from scratch yet, I’ve made it using Patak’s curry paste though and oh yummmm

You might not like mine as good, maybe. I tweaked it a bit so it wasn’t so spicy and omitted coriander and subbed in the Frontier Coop garam masala. It’s also low fodmap, so no garlic. @Pawz4me But anyway…..

2 tbsp garlic-infused olive oil

1/2 tsp ground ginger

2 tsp turmeric 

1 tsp garam masala

1/2 tsp curry powder 

2 tbsp water

1 can diced or crushed tomatoes 

4-5 tbsp Coco June plain Greek coconut yogurt  or can of coconut milk

salt/pepper 

Saute spices in olive oil for a bit and add water. Sauté a bit more until paste is formed. Add tomatoes and yogurt or coconut milk. Salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer on very low for 20 minutes or so. 

Here is also where I did it a bit differently. I was afraid of getting too much vegetable in it and soaking up too much of the sauce. The recipe called for veggie amounts measured in grams. Like 150 grams of spinach or kale. I didn’t know exactly how much that is. I decided the easiest thing would be to just make the sauce and add the precooked veggies in when serving, to keep it as saucy as I wanted it. So I put a bed of rice or quinoa on the plate and topped with just a few of each veggie and poured the sauce over, keeping it more saucy. 

This worked fine, even though that might not be how it’s supposed to be done. I just didn’t want all the sauce to disappear and end with a thick mess with too much veg and too little sauce.

I used precooked veggies such as kale, cubed potatoes, chic peas. The other spices were Simply Organic. I am very partial to that brand. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The Japanese curry suggestion by @sweet2ndchance  above (Golden Curry) is a good one IMO, especially if you are new to making curry dishes.

Japanese curry takes well to very simple ingredients, like chicken, potatoes, peas, onions, carrots, and other very accessable ingredients and turns them into something that is very sumptuous and easy to like. 

Has its own thing.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I like to use this base for different dishes. It makes a lot and freezes well. I feel healthy and virtuous when I make it because of ALL those veggies. It’s super handy to have on hand for when you want curry but don’t want to pull 47 spices out of your cabinet. 

https://greatcurryrecipes.net/2011/02/15/base-curry-gravy-2/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I love all types of curry and I eat some version of it pretty much every week. I had leftover chickpea and kale curry with brown rice for lunch today and I'm planning to make a red lentil dal later in the week. I often do a sheet pan dinner of cauliflower, sweet potatoes, and chickpeas or cubed tofu, drizzled with olive oil and tossed in mixture of curry powder, cumin, turmeric, black pepper, and smoked paprika, roasted until tender and a bit crispy. Pile it in a bowl with some quinoa, sautéed spinach, and coconut yogurt — yum!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

This worked fine, even though that might not be how it’s supposed to be done.

Your recipe is definitely Indian curry so I don't know the exact procedure they would use but your method of cooking things separate and then pouring the curry sauce over everything is exactly how you make Japanese curry! 

British curry, at least the way my ex-MIL makes it, is more like a curry flavored stew with meat and veggies in it that is served over a bed of rice or potatoes. My favorite "bed" for curry is yellow saffron rice. Yummy!

I looked up your garam marsala and it is definitely Indian curry seasoning as well. The curry powder I use most is Madras curry powder. It doesn't have the cinnamon in it. I used to have a large stash of Japanese curry powder from Coco's but sadly I finally used it all and can't bear to pay the shipping to buy a case or so. Lol!

If you like the Indian curry flavor though, you could add garam marsala and crushed tomatoes to Golden Curry sauce for a close facsimile.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

It was a Burmese dish.

I wonder if she dislikes turmeric? I don’t particularly like the flavour but tolerate it when mixed with enough heat and acid flavours 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

My only counter--and one that I'm afraid might be futile--is a Huitlacoche omelette or taco.

shutterstock_1454905190.jpg

Huitlacoche-60.jpg

1665702455765.jpg

This pustule-like corn fungus is sometimes compared to truffles (for reasons beyond me), but they have an ink-y taste and texture that is somewhat reminiscent of less-than-totally-fresh squid ink crossed with unrecognizable refrigerator items that were negled for far too long.

A "murky" taste, from "the depths"--to be sure. I believe that in some regions of the USA Huitlacoche is referred to as "corn smut," and--if you can believe it--is considered an undesirable corn "disease." People! 

There seems to be some controversy over whether the name "Huitlacoche" comes from a combination of Nahuatl words that mean "sleeping excrement" or "the excrement of a raven." Somehow, based on no informed opinion, I prefer the latter.

Reminds me, I have a can of Huitlacoche that has been "aging" in my pantry for quite some time  :tongue:

Bill

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Corraleno said:

I love all types of curry and I eat some version of it pretty much every week. I had leftover chickpea and kale curry with brown rice for lunch today and I'm planning to make a red lentil dal later in the week. I often do a sheet pan dinner of cauliflower, sweet potatoes, and chickpeas or cubed tofu, drizzled with olive oil and tossed in mixture of curry powder, cumin, turmeric, black pepper, and smoked paprika, roasted until tender and a bit crispy. Pile it in a bowl with some quinoa, sautéed spinach, and coconut yogurt — yum!

This sounds great. If I have time, I’m trying this today.

On 1/25/2023 at 3:56 AM, Spy Car said:

My only counter--and one that I'm afraid might be futile--is a Huitlacoche omelette or taco.

This pustule-like corn fungus is sometimes compared to truffles (for reasons beyond me), but they have an ink-y taste and texture that is somewhat reminiscent of less-than-totally-fresh squid ink crossed with unrecognizable refrigerator items that were negled for far too long.

A "murky" taste, from "the depths"--to be sure. I believe that in some regions of the USA Huitlacoche is referred to as "corn smut," and--if you can believe it--is considered an undesirable corn "disease." People! 

There seems to be some controversy over whether the name "Huitlacoche" comes from a combination of Nahuatl words that mean "sleeping excrement" or "the excrement of a raven." Somehow, based on no informed opinion, I prefer the latter.

Reminds me, I have a can of Huitlacoche that has been "aging" in my pantry for quite some time  :tongue:

Bill

Oh, I had that once before at a fabulous Mexican restaurant I will forever mourn the closure of. He must have imported it specially because I've never seen it anywhere else.

17 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Oh, I had that once before at a fabulous Mexican restaurant I will forever mourn the closure of. He must have imported it specially because I've never seen it anywhere else.

Not easy to source even here in Los Angeles.

My wife smuggled a couple of cans back from a pre-pandemic trip to Mexico she took with a friend.

Don't say that we are not a "romantic couple"  :tongue:

Bill